Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
Good old Mick you can start a premierdhip player or a luton town player upfront so typically he goes with the Luton Town player

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Georgia move the ball quite well in fairness to them. Reckon we can deal with these crosses all day though.

always_hoping

Going through the clubs of the starting team today.

Middlesbrough
Everton Brighton Sheffield United Wolves
Hearts Aston Villa
Stoke Burnley Sheffield United
Luton

Then a manager that didn't pull up any trees at Ipswich,Wolves or Sunderland. Without stating the obvious it will be achievement in itself if ROI finish in the top two in this group.

Nick7

This must be the first time in about 2 years that I've watched Ireland and feck me this is every bit as awful as I expected.

lsd

The Oracle
Was such a negative decision appointing McCarthy again he is far to cautious.

Swiss_Red89

Only watched the second half. Was a bit surprised how bad Ireland played in such an important game for them. Georgie was the better team but lacked the quality in the final third.

But i reckon if you guys reach the do or die game against denmark on last matchday in Dublin, you will have a good chance to make the surprise possible.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I only caught the second half, and was barely watching whilst getting ready, but argh; those two late chances!

Name Changed

weso26
That was shocking. Connolly should have started. I can't understand how Hendrick has a Premier League contract.

Champagne Football

3000 miles away. Exhausting flight. On an horrendous choppy pitch.

It's exactly the result and performance I expected. There's a reason why all teams in the group are struggling away to Georgia. Anyone who thought it would be an easy 3 points should go back to playing FIfA 19.

Name Changed

weso26
Was such a negative decision appointing McCarthy again he is far to cautious.
The difference between the U21s and the senior team is huge. Kenny has them playing football, passing and attacking. He doesn't have a lot to choose from yet they have been excellent so far in their group.

I'd rather have just appointed Kenny rather than bringing in Mick for one campaign.

My fear will be that he will only get one campaign. It's a lot harder to qualify for the WC than the EC.

I hope he's given 4 years. He needs it.

Name Changed

weso26
3000 miles away. Exhausting flight. On an horrendous choppy pitch.
It's exactly the result and performance I expected. There's a reason why all teams in the group are struggling away to Georgia. Anyone who thought it was an easy 3 points should go back to playing FIfA 2019.
I doubt anyone thought it would be.

I expected us to at least play to win rather than play for a draw. We needed to win realistically.

always_hoping

The lads in the RTE studio seem a little shocked that ROI didn't win or create many chances in that game, short memories it seems as ROI only beat Georgia 1-0 in Dublin with a late goal from a free kick and that was 1 of only 2 shots on target.

6 games played now three 3 wins,three draws. scored 6 goals and conceded 2. Switzerland (A) Denmark (H) to play logic says two defeats there but might nick a draw or two.

Champagne Football

I doubt anyone thought it would be.

I expected us to at least play to win rather than play for a draw. We needed to win realistically.
Denmark could only get a draw there, despite being better than us and having a truly world class forward in their side.

We hit the post. Duffy with a header at the end. Last time we went to Georgia, they played us off the pitch but somehow we came away with a win, with one of the only moments of real quality Aiden McGeady ever produced in the green jersey.

Wayne's World

So negative in our performance, this was a golden opportunity to beat Georgia and make life easier for ourselves and possibly having one foot in the Euros next year but now we have to go to the Swiss and get a result and beat Denmark. Played for a draw is not acceptable at all in this situation we were in.

I can't see us qualifying now and it's gutting after this.

Name Changed

weso26
The lads in the RTE studio seem a little shocked that ROI didn't win or create many chances in that game, short memories it seems as ROI only beat Georgia 1-0 in Dublin with a late goal from a free kick and that was 1 of only 2 shots on target.

6 games played now three 3 wins,three draws. scored 6 goals and conceded 2. Switzerland (A) Denmark (H) to play logic says two defeats there but might nick a draw or two.
We need to avoid those two defeats or we are third.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Denmark could only get a draw there, despite being better than us and having a truly world class forward in their side.

We hit the post. Duffy with a header at the end. Last time we went to Georgia, they played us off the pitch but somehow we came away with a win, with one of the only moments of real quality Aiden McGeady ever produced in the green jersey.
McGeady was a brilliant player for Ireland over the years..... absolutely brilliant.....

Said nobody

EVER.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh. We're currently third behind two teams who are definitely better than us. Seems fair enough to me.

always_hoping

Open to correction but I think that late winner for Denmark more or less means ROI needs 4 points from their remaining 2 games and I can't see that happening 2 points at best I reckon.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Open to correction but I think that late winner for Denmark more or less means ROI needs 4 points from their remaining 2 games and I can't see that happening 2 points at best I reckon.

So three points will be enough, as long as they come against Switzerland.

Swiss_Red89

The game on tuesday now will be absolut crucial after that unnecessary loss today.:houllier:

Looking forward to be in the stadium in geneva.

How's the mood of you guys for this game? Optimistic, pessimistic?

Basso

We were so lucky to beat the swiss tonight. Got outplayed for 70 mins but Kasper in goal was world class! Danish dynamite.

Noticed Swiss let in late goals in all the important matches. Hoping for a late Duffy goal on tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Name Changed

weso26
Now we are in big trouble. Needed to win today. I cannot understand the mentality of looking for a draw today when it means you then have to go and beat Switzerland away. Moronic by McCarthy.

Name Changed

weso26
The game on tuesday now will be absolut crucial after that unnecessary loss today.:houllier:

Looking forward to be in the stadium in geneva.

How's the mood of you guys for this game? Optimistic, pessimistic?
I doubt ireland will score so once you do you will be fine..

Bulldog United

Now we are in big trouble. Needed to win today. I cannot understand the mentality of looking for a draw today when it means you then have to go and beat Switzerland away. Moronic by McCarthy.
McCarthy doing what McCarthy does. Bore opponents to sleep and then try to nick it in the last 10 minutes, assuming the tactic hasn't backfired and you're already 3-0 down.

It's not an easy place to go and win though, especially when you're not blessed with the most talented pool of players. But I think the closing stages show Ireland could and should have been bolder for longer.

Swiss_Red89

I doubt ireland will score so once you do you will be fine..
A draw on tuesday between us will mean Denmark is already qualified and has nothing to play for against ireland. And if you win this you're through. So it will be a game for the nerves on tuesday because i can also see us struggle to score a goal against the irish defence... we lack the bit of brilliance without Shaqiri in the last third.

lsd

The Oracle
Meh. We're currently third behind two teams who are definitely better than us. Seems fair enough to me.
What's fair is to actually play for a win instead of going out to draw 0.0 every game

Status
Not open for further replies.