Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Would agree but there's no one else on the panel who has a record of consistently scoring goals at this level. Robinson is still a huge prospect and is still young and is still quite new to the squad. Aaron Connoly was the stand out talent in the U21's along with Molumby. As he get more experience he should start scoring. McGoldrick has been the star of this campaign, has a goal and an assist to his name, and in most games has come very close to scoring. There's more goals in him for sure. Seanie Maguire and Shane Long will be pushing those 3 hard for a first XI spot. Brady looks like he needs a move to ressurect his career.

From midfield Alan Browne seems to be the only one with a goal in him at this level, so he might be a better bet than Jack Byrne. Anyways looking forward to seeing us under a manager who promotes youth and who plays nice football.
Agree with most of that albeit I suppose my point was that none of the front three had consistently scored goals at any sort of high level (admittedly Connolly is young and Robinson not that much older), so there’s a good chance expecting that frontline to score goals, or develop into goalscorers might be too optimistic. But as you say, we don’t have other options. Tough task for Kenny, I suspect.

I agree on Long, but am pretty underwhelmed by Maguire. It may be injuries, but I don’t think he looks right at this level and could well fall out of the squad.

In other news, Robbie Keane of zero meaningful coaching experience was on quarter of a mil, for a job he pitched himself for. FAI gonna FAI.

Champagne Football

Agree with most of that albeit I suppose my point was that none of the front three had consistently scored goals at any sort of high level (admittedly Connolly is young and Robinson not that much older), so there’s a good chance expecting that frontline to score goals, or develop into goalscorers might be too optimistic. But as you say, we don’t have other options. Tough task for Kenny, I suspect.

I agree on Long, but am pretty underwhelmed by Maguire. It may be injuries, but I don’t think he looks right at this level and could well fall out of the squad.

In other news, Robbie Keane of zero meaningful coaching experience was on quarter of a mil, for a job he pitched himself for. FAI gonna FAI.
Well at least Delaney fond and will hopefully do some jail time eventually.

Onto other news, The Sun reporting that Chelsea want Nathan Collins https://www.thesun.ie/sport/footbal...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebarweb

lsd

The Oracle
It's not like he can magic goalscorers out of thin air but unlike McCarthy I expect him to give players like Idah from Norwich and Obafemi from Southampton a chance

Deery

Dreary
I’m hoping for the best from Kenny maybe he could be our Gareth Southgate and play a more attractive style of football, just hope he isn’t pressurised into playing experience over what he wants to do..

Champagne Football

Crawford and John O'Shea taking over the U21's is a great decision.

If the experiment with Kenny works, then Duff may well replace him as manager some day.

Champagne Football

I'd go with this line-up as Kenny's first XI

Randolph
Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens
Cullen Molumby
Hourihane
Robinson McGoldrick Connolly​

Last edited:

Champagne Football

Why wouldnt Kenny keep Robbie Keane in the setup?
Well Duff is without doubt higher rated in the game than Keane right now in terms of backroom team ability.

Keith Andrews seems like a strange choice but he obviously connects well with Kenny, and it's all about chemistry.

Keane having a full time job at Boro complicates things. I've no idea what role they can find for him, unless it's an ambassador role within the FAI or something.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I just don't understand how Robbie was on a different length contract than Mick? When does that ever happen, that you sign a new manager and backroom staff together, but give a longer contract to the backroom staff?

Champagne Football

I just don't understand how Robbie was on a different length contract than Mick? When does that ever happen, that you sign a new manager and backroom staff together, but give a longer contract to the backroom staff?
John Delaney was maybe thinking Kenny has very little top level experience, and that Keane could learn from his 2 years under McCarthy and then bring that knowledge with him as Kenny's No. 2.

Only Delaney never factored in that Kenny might not want Keane as an assistant manager, as he was probably too preoccupied at the time with how he was gonna cover his tracks for all the millions he was swindling from the organizational.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Because Keane is a Delaney cronie who weaseled his way into a €250k/ year for 4 years while doing nothing.

Andrews isn’t a strange choice as he has already been working with Kenny and is highly rated in the Irish youth circles.

Withnail

Why wouldnt Kenny keep Robbie Keane in the setup?
Why would he? He's his own man and wants to bring in his own people who he trusts.

He said he wants a small enough team and didn't see Robbie as part of it. You don't just fit people in cos some gobshite gave them a four year deal when it could be to the detriment of the team dynamic you're trying to build.

We've no idea if Robbie's even a good coach or if he's on the same wavelength as Kenny. I'm glad he's stuck to his guns on this one. It's shows he'll stick to his principles, will do things his way and bodes well for the future.

galwayfa

Was reading something tonight, think it was on off the ball, will follow it up, they were saying Robbie loves Robbie more than anything else, an absolute brilliant player but hopefully he doesn't tarnish that legasy

Brophs

The One and Only
I, for one, am shocked that several members of Niall Quinn’s Football Visionary Group have been appointed to senior positions in the FAI and one of those, Roy Barrett, the new CEO, didn’t even apply for the job and wasn’t on the 10 man shortlist put forward by AMROP, but got the job at the suggestion of a third party.

Big Niall and his gang of new brooms sure look a lot like the old ones.

Brophs

The One and Only

On the one hand, great for him and us going to a big club. On the other, Jose. I’m not at all convinced that the way Doherty defends is going to be to his liking.

padzilla

Hipster

On the one hand, great for him and us going to a big club. On the other, Jose. I’m not at all convinced that the way Doherty defends is going to be to his liking.
15 million for Doherty - that's a ridiculously low figure. How are we always rinsed for transfers but other clubs aren't?

Brophs

The One and Only
15 million for Doherty - that's a ridiculously low figure. How are we always rinsed for transfers but other clubs aren't?
Plus Bohs have a 10% sell on so Wolves would see less than £14m.

Brophs

The One and Only
I, for one, am shocked that several members of Niall Quinn’s Football Visionary Group have been appointed to senior positions in the FAI and one of those, Roy Barrett, the new CEO, didn’t even apply for the job and wasn’t on the 10 man shortlist put forward by AMROP, but got the job at the suggestion of a third party.

Big Niall and his gang of new brooms sure look a lot like the old ones.
Our new CEO appointed at the suggestion of BOI who at the time were negotiating with the FAI about the ongoing future of the organisation. Can’t see any conflict there at all.

Insert a ‘this is fine’ meme of your choosing.

Withnail

Do RTE or Virgin Media Sport have the game on Thursday? Can't see to find any television coverage at all
Both games on Sky sports, it seems.
Bleedin disastrous decision to sell the rights. It'll be a river for me. Lucky they don't drop out as much for Irish games.

Sky only had the rights to friendlies as far as I was aware. Are the Nations league games classified as friendlies under the deal for some reason?

Champagne Football

Our new CEO appointed at the suggestion of BOI who at the time were negotiating with the FAI about the ongoing future of the organisation. Can’t see any conflict there at all.

Insert a ‘this is fine’ meme of your choosing.
I think it's embarrassing that anyone is questioning Roy Barrett and Quinn. The reason they set up a visionary group in the first place was because they were shocked at what was happening to the game in the country. Many don't like Quinn for some reason, but his track record is immaculate and he only associates with people who are not charlatans.

I believe the old guard are trying to change the narrative behind the scenes with their old contacts in the media, to take the focus away from the fact that Delaney and a few others need to be going to jail, so they've created this story to take the focus away from the real story.

Withnail

I think it's embarrassing that anyone is questioning Roy Barrett and Quinn. The reason they set up a visionary group in the first place was because they were shocked at what was happening to the game in the country. Many don't like Quinn for some reason, but his track record is immaculate and he only associates with people who are not charlatans.

I believe the old guard are trying to change the narrative behind the scenes with their old contacts in the media, to take the focus away from the fact that Delaney and a few others need to be going to jail, so they've created this story to take the focus away from the real story.
I think after everything that's gone on in the past, questioning these types of things and ensuring full transparency is exactly what is required.

If no one has done anything wrong then the explanation will be accepted and there's no problem. Allowing people free reign without scrutiny is a recipe for disaster.

Champagne Football

I think after everything that's gone on in the past, questioning these types of things and ensuring full transparency is exactly what is required.

If no one has done anything wrong then the explanation will be accepted and there's no problem. Allowing people free reign without scrutiny is a recipe for disaster.
I think when an organization is at the point of insolvency, I think the banks and the government have a right to influence who takes control of the car crash. The rumour is that Sarah Keane is the favourite for the CEO role, and I think it's clear that very soon, nobody connected to the visionary group will be in control. But for now I think we should be grateful that the organizational didn't fold, which could have led to a 1 or 2 year ban of our international team, and be careful that we don't fall for the tricks of the old guard who are clearly trying to change the narrative behind the scenes, to try and save their asses.

kidbob

Lads, lads, we actually completed 2 passes in a row! Shit is a miracle.

Still couldn’t score in a whore house mind you.
Yeah we've been decent on the ball and comfortable apart from that last 2-3 minutes. Have no idea where the goals are going to come from though. Either way its refreshing to see and Kenny deserves backing no matter the result tonight. On another note this is the best I've seen McClean play in an awful long time, still lacks the end product though. Hamsik is different class out there.

Desperately need Connolly, Parrott and Idah to develop well in the coming years.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How the feck did we not go through,
Fecking ludicrous.

kidbob

Gutted. Plenty of positives to take from this though considering how early we are into Kenny's reign. Desperately need one of the young lads to develop into a good goal threat. Some very nice passages of play at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.