Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

POF

It might sound counter intuitive but it's really important for Kenny to work really hard on set pieces. With Brady and Hourihane to deliver and the likes of Duffy, Egan and Doherty to attack them, that is by far Ireland's best chance of a goal.

The better football is all well and good but you also need to play to your strengths. How much better would some of Ireland's performances have seemed if they'd won 1-0 with one going in off Duffy's arse than a 0-0 draw or a 1-0 loss.

When you are looking for a dramatic change in how a team plays it is vital to get everyone on board. That's hard to do when you're losing games and can't score a goal.

padzilla

Hipster
As expected the transition to playing a different style of football has been difficult to say the least - especially when we don't have the firepower up front to get the goals we so badly need right now. There's little to no point panicking and changing the management for doing what they have been hired to do. If in a year's time there is no tangible improvement then it's a different story entirely.

Red00012

Like feck we were. The only thing threatening about us for years was hoping Shane Duffy pulls something out of the bag on a corner.

His club career has since gone downhill and clearly isn’t capable of being a 1 man Ireland anymore no matter the manager. We’d have been completely fecked under Mick without Duffy in full form.

That’s exactly what I’m saying , we have no threat now. Nobody up top to bang in a goal and not enough threat in the final third now that Duffy is In decline.

Last edited:

Oranges038

I think everyone is in agreement that he needs time and we haven’t got the best quality up front yet, but if we still haven’t scored a goal in another 7 games let alone a win then I don’t see it going well for him.
There's a few posts on here to suggest otherwise and I've seen plenty in other places to see there are many who would like to see him gone, probably people who never wanted him from the start and will always stick to that position no matter what he does.

Goal scorers under McCarthy
Alan Judge

That’s exactly what I’m saying , we have no threat now. Nobody up top to bang in a goal and not enough threat in the final third now that Duffy is In decline.
A few bad games is decline now? He was easily one of the better players on the pitch yesterday, aside from the poor header for Wales goal, there was no need for the two defenders to be going for that ball. But, he was still the best defender overall, his short passing was much improved, tried a lot less long balls and he even managed to have 2 shots although not great, he was still there.

Footy van de Geek

Irish players dropping like flies: Idah (injured), Doherty and McClean (covid) out for tomorrow's game.

Kenny's called up Parrott amongst U21 and LOI players to fill out the squad.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...lean-test-positive-for-covid-19-39752695.html
Collins
Maguire-------------------------Horgan
Byrne

Hourihane---Cullen

Manning----O'Shea---Duffy----Christie

Randolph
O'Dowda is a doubt. I'd be careful with Brady also. We need him to stay fit for Burnley. And Parrott wasn't deemed fit enough to start for The U21s at the weekend. I doubt Byrne starts, but he was excellent against Bulgaria in 2019.

2-0 Ireland. Please.

Tel074

Telles tested positive for covid 9 days after the game with PSG.

News come out Browne tested positive for covid 12 hours after the game last night, possibily from a test that was done after the game last night, so are you telling me with a straight face that Browne never had covid during last night or if he had a covid test (at say) 6pm last night it would be negative?

The most important time to test players is on the day (before) a game, not after so I'm betting he never had a test at all throughout the day yesterday and again this is a fault of the FAI, hence why they are covering their arses now with a tweet looking like it came from Donald Trump's finger tips, certainly the same ignorance/cluelessness he has in how the disease spreads and it's right what I'm saying, you just take a look at replies to the FAI's tweet.

I will say it again, FAI have a lot of explaining to do regardless and if 1 (or several) players who was on the pitch last night test positive for covid in the next few days, you’ll get Southgate/club managers and many high profile people within the FA saying the same thing as I am right now.

Edit:- @Champagne Football, ran out of posts today, so i will reply this way. If someone says something that goes against your own beliefs = dumb, oldest trick in the book fella :o Truth is though if my post was dumb, yours was absolutely retarded, i mean just look how you ended it "The virus is completely harmless to nearly all footballers anyways" i mean how thick and ignorant can you get? Young/fit and healthy people have died of covid.

Browne shouldn't have played last night being covid positive, because he did play is a fault in the Irish covid testing system, there's no 'yeah buts' on that, Browne should have been no where near Wembley never mind played.

This is my last reply on this.
There's absolutely no chance Ireland would field a player who they thought has even the slightest chance to have Covid . We didn't let 2 players play in our semi final due to them sitting on a plane behind one of the backroom staff who tested positive .

Footy van de Geek

I assume it's:

Collins
Curtis---------------------------------Horgan

Brady---------------Knight
Hourihane

Manning-----Long-----Duffy-----O'Shea

Randolph
Happy for Manning, Knight & Collins. I think Curtis has the potential to play in The Championship. I like his directness.

Question marks over the lack of balance in midfield without a natural DM. But plenty of good technicians in the side. We should dominate possession. Need to get the wide men supplying decent balls in for Collins who is a goalscorer. And hopefully Manning can offer plenty of support to Curtis on the outside.

Deery

Dreary
How good are Bulgaria because I’m not filled with much hope looking at that lineup

Withnail

It's not that we don't have a goal-threat now. This has been a long-term issue since Robbie retired in 2016.

I was listening to Off the Ball today and they were saying that since we lost Robbie we've only scored 22 goals in 30 competitive games (10 in 14 at home) and have only scored more than one goal in a game against Molodova and Gibraltar.

In relation to tonight, obviously, I'm hoping that we should win but is there really a problem with getting relegated?

Won't we be fighting it out for a place in the finals against worse teams, and thus have a better chance of qualifying, if we do get relegated to league C?

It would also allow us to blood our young players against more beatable opposition. I'm not seeing a down-side here.

Sky Arena I think
Ireland on Sky. England on Virgin 2 what the feck?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not that we don't have a goal-threat now. This has been a long-term issue since Robbie retired in 2016.

I was listening to Off the Ball today and they were saying that since we lost Robbie we've only scored 22 goals in 30 competitive games (10 in 14 at home) and have only scored more than one goal in a game against Molodova and Gibraltar.

In relation to tonight, obviously, I'm hoping that we should win but is there really a problem with getting relegated?

Won't we be fighting it out for a place in the finals against worse teams, and thus have a better chance of qualifying, if we do get relegated to league C?

It would also allow us to blood our young players against more beatable opposition. I'm not seeing a down-side here.

I’m totally on board with relegation. Shooting for promotion if/when our promising youngsters hit their prime as top class players.

Footy van de Geek

We're missing a lot of players. The team's been cobbled together, to be fair. Created a couple of half-chances the last few minutes though.
So are Bulgaria.

We are playing crap. We are still reliant on set-pieces.

Two decent clipped balls from O'Shea and Horgan to the back stick. That's it. And even that is very MON and Mick McCarthy-esque.

This has comfortably been the worst performance so far. Against a winnable side. You can see how low our confidence is.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm all for giving Kenny time, but this has been shocking so far tonight.
There’s a million reasons we’re crap right now that has nothing to do with Kenny. This whole break has been such a fecking farce. We’ve learned nothing about the manager and he’s learned nothing about his squad (other than we don’t have any strength in depth - which we’ve known for decades)

Tonight is just the whole covidball omnishambles hitting rock bottom. I’ve watched Ireland play football for decades so consider myself a bit of connoisseur of shit football. This, though... this is quite something...

Tel074

There’s a million reasons we’re crap right now that has nothing to do with Kenny. This whole break has been such a fecking farce. We’ve learned nothing about the manager and he’s learned nothing about his squad (other than we don’t have any strength in depth - which we’ve known for decades)

Tonight is just the whole covidball omnishambles hitting rock bottom. I’ve watched Ireland play football for decades so consider myself a bit of connoisseur of shit football. This, though... this is quite something...
I totally agree. Tbh most of the social media discontent is Rovers fans telling everyone that Jack Byrne is Zidane in disguise . We have a lot of young players in the squad which can only be good in the long term .
I agree with other posters that relegation will be good for this group and maybe allow us to gain some confidence.

Withnail

So are Bulgaria.

We are playing crap. We are still reliant on set-pieces.

Two decent clipped balls from O'Shea and Horgan to the back stick. That's it. And even that is very MON and Mick McCarthy-esque.

This has comfortably been the worst performance so far. Against a winnable side. You can see how low our confidence is.
I'm wasn't expecting a huge amount with that midfield and forward line to be perfectly honest.

Would Byrne make a difference? We need someone to get on the ball and make something happen.

Footy van de Geek

Kenny has to take some of the blame. 8 games is 8 games. Because of Covid, international managers get extra time with the players. 3 games instead of 2 each time that they meet up.

The thing is, we do have a decent squad when everyone is fit. And even tonight, a midfield three of Brady, Hourihane and Knight should be able to get on the ball and put some passing sequences together. It's been dire. The opposite of what a Kenny side is supposed to do.

We seem to be getting worse at playing out from the back instead of better. Randolph and Duffy have gotten lucky on a few occasions recently.

Ireland have been pretty brutal since The 2002 World Cup bar the odd good spell under Trap (robbed by France) and MON (beating Bosnia & Herzegovina and Italy.

Red00012

Sky have rights to all our nation league games . I can see that been reviews by Sky

also I agree we are better off been relegated

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Kenny has to take some of the blame. 8 games is 8 games. Because of Covid, international managers get extra time with the players. 3 games instead of 2 each time that they meet up.

The thing is, we do have a decent squad when everyone is fit. And even tonight, a midfield three of Brady, Hourihane and Knight should be able to get on the ball and put some passing sequences together. It's been dire. The opposite of what a Kenny side is supposed to do.

We seem to be getting worse at playing out from the back instead of better. Randolph and Duffy have gotten lucky on a few occasions recently.

Ireland have been pretty brutal since The 2002 World Cup bar the odd good spell under Trap (robbed by France) and MON (beating Bosnia & Herzegovina and Italy.
Brady’s been rubbish. He’s not exactly coming into this series of games in good form either. Ditto Hourihane, who can’t get a game for his club. All of which makes it a terrible situation for a kid like Knight to find himself. Hendrick (who’s no world beater at the best of times) was head and shoulder above any of these three in our last match. And he’s banned.

These would be just some of the “millions of reasons” I’m talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.