Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Bale out of both games.

SER19

How likely is it that we don't get the play off spot, in the unlikely event we win both games?

In previous years I'd be confident and excited but this campaign just hasn't had the feel of one that will end happily. Some very poor performances after a start that should have put us in control. That last set of fixtures were a disaster really

Zebs

How likely is it that we don't get the play off spot, in the unlikely event we win both games?

In previous years I'd be confident and excited but this campaign just hasn't had the feel of one that will end happily. Some very poor performances after a start that should have put us in control. That last set of fixtures were a disaster really
It's been a disaster since we failed to capitalise on Wales being down to 10 men at Lansdowne.

I think if Scotland beat Slovakia and we win both our games, we should be ok to make the playoffs. It's all unclear at the moment until the first round of games are out of the way.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves

Looks like Group H is what we need to look out for. Bosnia or Greece. At the moment, Bosnia occupy 8th place, Wales are in 9th. Moldova are bottom of our group, so that result is null and void. We have to beat Wales, and hope Bosnia dont win a single game....I think. Greece similar

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I don't see Kendrick Hendrick in the injury list. Does that mean he's available for Friday? We missed him badly in the last game.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

Vs Moldova I reckon we'll start with this - with one or two debuts made in last 10 mins of game
Randolph
Christie Duffy Clarke Ward
Hendrick Meyler
Long Hoolahan McGeady
Murphy

Vs Wales I think we'll start with this
Randolph
Meyler Hendrick
Long Brady McClean
Murphy​

Bestietom

Vs Moldova I reckon we'll start with this - with one or two debuts made in last 10 mins of game
Randolph
Hendrick Meyler
Long Hoolahan McGeady
Murphy

Vs Wales I think we'll start with this
Randolph
Meyler Hendrick
Long Brady McClean
Murphy​
Brady on left long in centre, for Wales game. Mc Carthy could be back also. Moldova game, team looks about right. @Champagne Football

SER19

It's been a disaster since we failed to capitalise on Wales being down to 10 men at Lansdowne.

I think if Scotland beat Slovakia and we win both our games, we should be ok to make the playoffs. It's all unclear at the moment until the first round of games are out of the way.
Looks like Group H is what we need to look out for. Bosnia or Greece. At the moment, Bosnia occupy 8th place, Wales are in 9th. Moldova are bottom of our group, so that result is null and void. We have to beat Wales, and hope Bosnia dont win a single game....I think. Greece similar
My fear is Georgia do us the favour and we beat Moldova and draw with wales. Probably wouldn't be enough

Robertd0803

The Georgia draw was a killer result. I feel this campaign was doomed since that game. And make no mistake it was a shocking result.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
My fear is Georgia do us the favour and we beat Moldova and draw with wales. Probably wouldn't be enough
At least Wales have to beat us as well - keeps the game really open Monday. Both sides cant go in hoping a draw would be good enough, whatever happens Friday. Awful end to our campaign.

Zebs

Need a big win tonight.

There are so many permutations but it seems the most simple is Scotland dropping points against Slovenia on Sunday and us winning both games.

Nick7

I was going through our squads for the last few years. Jesus we've had some shocking footballers get a decent amount of caps for us haven't we?

Darren O'Dea with 20. Andy Keogh with 30. That's not even mentioning the chances with <5 caps.

Zebs

I was going through our squads for the last few years. Jesus we've had some shocking footballers get a decent amount of caps for us haven't we?

Darren O'Dea with 20. Andy Keogh with 30. That's not even mentioning the chances with <5 caps.
:lol: I was in school with Darren and Andy played for the same schoolboys club as I did.

What have you got against me :(

Zebs

Getting such shit players to get so many caps evidently. I don't blame him, clearly your fault. Connections like that aren't coincidental.
That's fair.

Just realised that the ideal sequence of results this weekend is for us to win both and Serbia to lose both games, meaning we finish top.

It'll definitely happen. Definitely.

T_Model101

No need to worry about the Wales game lads, we'll prob draw with Moldova and that'll be the end of that :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Shane Long. 1 goal in 42 games for club and country.

When does a player get dropped? You throw anyone in for him at this point.

An awful player.

diarm

We'd be joint top if we'd won that match in Tbilisi.

Read yesterday that Martin O'Neill is after a new contract. If we miss out on 2nd place he should be made publicly explain his negative, cowardly tactics in that match before he gets so much as an interview.

Sending out a side to park the bus and lump the ball up the field against the side ranked 112th in the world.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Shane Long. 1 goal in 42 games for club and country.

When does a player get dropped? You throw anyone in for him at this point.

An awful player.
He isn’t awful imo

Just in a fecking horrible spell of getting very sporadic appearances for club and is never a prolific striker anyway

He is in a bad time right now, I had hoped he would have moved on from Southampton in the summer

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Read yesterday that Martin O'Neill is after a new contract. If we miss out on 2nd place he should be made publicly explain his negative, cowardly tactics in that match before he gets so much as an interview.

Sending out a side to park the bus and lump the ball up the field against the side ranked 112th in the world.
He isn't after a new contract, he's signed a new contract, just yesterday I think.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...ees-contract-extension-with-ireland-1.3245937

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"

He already signed a new contract. Why, who would you have brought in??

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Jaysus they didn't hang about. I read an article at about 9am saying O'Neill was looking for a new deal and then by half 6 that evening, he's got a new one and signed it.
Yep. At the press conference he was saying he was optimistic of a deal. No bloody wonder. :lol:

diarm

He already signed a new contract. Why, who would you have brought in??
No one necessarily - I don't think we're the most attractive gig in world football.

I just don't like to see him handed it without question, before 2 key games we need to perform in. He has underperformed in these qualifiers imo, by reverting to negative, defensive and stoneage tactics in away games against minnows where we should have been braver and more adventurous.

Those mistakes should have been acknowledged and assurances given to the fans who pay for tickets and jerseys before they just handed him a new contract.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Don’t think we will do it, but even after this dour 2nd half I can see us going down heroically on Monday night

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Away form is generally (Georgia being the exception) good and say what you want about o’neill But he is very good at getting a side performing above normal levels for big games

Status
Not open for further replies.