Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Dyche anyone?

I really want Kenny to succeed but I really have my doubts now. All about tournament football and majorly unsure he can deliver it now. A Duffy header from a set piece remains our best goal threat.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Dyche anyone?

I really want Kenny to succeed but I really have my doubts now. All about tournament football and majorly unsure he can deliver it now. A Duffy header from a set piece remains our best goal threat.
I'd wait. Jim Crawford is very much a Kenny disciple and he's doing great things with the U21s. I'd gamble on leaving this structure in place and allow a few of them to graduate.

KiD MoYeS

I'd wait. Jim Crawford is very much a Kenny disciple and he's doing great things with the U21s. I'd gamble on leaving this structure in place and allow a few of the to graduate.
The U21 have been great to be fair, and our best senior players are all recent graduates or still eligible too. Nations League isn't anything to get too worried about but next qualifiers need to start good. Liklihood is that we will be relegated again anyway, assuming we're not already in the bottom division.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The U21 have been great to be fair, and our best senior players are all recent graduates or still eligible too. Nations League isn't anything to get too worried about but next qualifiers need to start good. Liklihood is that we will be relegated again anyway, assuming we're not already in the bottom division.
Yeah, we all called for a cultural reset. That takes a while.

Withnail

Dyche anyone?

We still don't really have a great bunch of players and the promising ones are still inexperienced.

Brophs

The One and Only
Dyche anyone?

I'd wait. Jim Crawford is very much a Kenny disciple and he's doing great things with the U21s. I'd gamble on leaving this structure in place and allow a few of them to graduate.
I like him, but my view from early on was that he might be the wrong man with the right idea. Or at least there might be someone who can do what he's trying to do, but better.

That said, I'd stay the course. The idea is right. But it takes time to turn a tanker.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Didn't watch tonight, how was it?

Kenny has to be given more time for me still.

KiD MoYeS

Lennon is bookies favourite to succeed Kenny so on that basis I'll remain in the #KennyIn camp, but my opinion is shifting on him and I don't think I'm the only one.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I like him, but my view from early on was that he might be the wrong man with the right idea. Or at least there might be someone who can do what he's trying to do, but better.

That said, I'd stay the course. The idea is right. But it takes time to turn a tanker.
Yeah, if he is the wrong man but the idea is right then maybe Jim can step up with the kids. I just thik the 'project' is still the right option for a team and an organisation that badly needed a hard rest in almost every department at the upper echelons.

Jim is an impressive bloke. He has risen to every incremental challenge in his career path, but quietly. A fellow Tallaght boy I played with him at schoolboy level, he was in the team one age group older than me that I togged out for a bit, as a sub mostly, but he's only a few months older. He was born in the states and never played for a team before he signed for our club. Soon he was the best player on the team, but never ever flashy. Was naturally a CM but liked to play CB against weaker teams and just take in what was happening. Captain but never said a word. Then to Bohs and step by step to the Premier League with Newcastle. He was really shy and now he handles the press with calm respect.

KiD MoYeS

My Nan said he is always available to everyone. There was a lass called Nicola around our estate who was practically the same.
My mother is named Nicola and my father named Jesus, he was from Mexico and I've never met him.

Oranges038

Dyche anyone?

Only 3 managers have ever delivered it. Don't know why anyone thinks we should be qualifying for tournament, when we've only been to 4 others since the first 1988 and this is the worst group of Irish players in about 50 years.

But yeah, let's go back to the same gameplan of the last 40 years, just hoofing it, looking for second balls and wishing for set pieces. Even though all the underage teams and development squads in the country are trying to modernise and play decent composed football.

Patience is the key. Two 1-0 losses in a nothing tournament isn't really a reason to lose focus on the long term benefits that will come from this change. Maybe we might qualify for 5 more tournaments over the next 40 years because of it. If not, then we should think about going back to hoofing it for another 40.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
The depression that would be induced by Neil Lennon being appointed Ireland manager would signal the end of my interest in international football. Possibly in all football.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Maybe watching enthusiastic young lads playing for League one teams saying positive things about playing for us is the pinnacle of what we can now hope for. I think that may still be better than the shite we had to watch under O'Neill and Trap.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Was at the match and it never felt like we believed.
Lack of effort all around. Sloppy play. Poor first touch.
Just bad.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Maybe watching enthusiastic young lads playing for League one teams saying positive things about playing for us is the pinnacle of what we can now hope for. I think that may still be better than the shite we had to watch under O'Neill and Trap.
Yeah when we beat Germany at home, drew away, beat Italy in a huge match and run the best team in Europe very close in their own stadium.

Whereas with this team they haven't won a competitive home match in 3 years. Yeah, much better fun watching this crowd.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Yeah, if he is the wrong man but the idea is right then maybe Jim can step up with the kids. I just thik the 'project' is still the right option for a team and an organisation that badly needed a hard rest in almost every department at the upper echelons.

Jim is an impressive bloke. He has risen to every incremental challenge in his career path, but quietly. A fellow Tallaght boy I played with him at schoolboy level, he was in the team one age group older than me that I togged out for a bit, as a sub mostly, but he's only a few months older. He was born in the states and never played for a team before he signed for our club. Soon he was the best player on the team, but never ever flashy. Was naturally a CM but liked to play CB against weaker teams and just take in what was happening. Captain but never said a word. Then to Bohs and step by step to the Premier League with Newcastle. He was really shy and now he handles the press with calm respect.

He was the only senior player to stick it out at Shels when the shit hit the fan, you get a lot of shouty hardman captains at our level but you could see then the young players around him all responded to that quiet authority.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He was the only senior player to stick it out at Shels when the shit hit the fan, you get a lot of shouty hardman captains at our level but you could see then the young players around him all responded to that quiet authority.
Sounds about right.

Back to last night, I think we're more suited to League C, we're definitely among the weakest in league B.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It feels kind of hopeless, doesn't it?

The quality of the player being produced is at an all-time low. We could get a managerial team of prime SAF, Busby and Jack Charlton and we'd probably just about manage to lose the playoffs to qualify for the Euros.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It feels kind of hopeless, doesn't it?

The quality of the player being produced is at an all-time low. We could get a managerial team of prime SAF, Busby and Jack Charlton and we'd probably just about manage to lose the playoffs to qualify for the Euros.

It is what it is, I don't get the feeling anyone is delivering way below what they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.