Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
Apologies if a thread like this exists already I did a search and nothing came up.

Anyway I thought it might be worth having a thread for all things Ireland?

First item on the agenda, when does our contract with Umbro run out? Our kits are brutal recently. In the Euros we may as well have rocked up in Primark or O'Neill's emblazoned on our kits.

They look like they were made of shiny tinfoil spray painted green.

Brophs

The One and Only
Really looking forward to the return to competitive football albeit the small pool of players means we won't have any real refreshing of the squad after a tournament. Looking through the squad ages wouldn't fill you with confidence.

It'll be good to get Duffy back for the next one and Hoban should get games on loan at Blackburn. If Wilson gets games at Bournemouth it'd be a real boost for us, particularly as he might build up a bit of an understanding with Arter and Hendrick ahead of him. We look really light up front, though. Long getting injured, or falling out of form and we have barely and goals up there, unless we push Walters further on. Other than that the U21s don't look to have too many that are likely to come through at this moment in time. Pretty worrying, tbh.

WhoDaGOAT

Dunphy's obsession with McClean is hilarious.

He's a decent player, nothing more.

Brophs

The One and Only
Is he in the squad? Haven't seen much of him. Any better than what we have?
He's in the squad, yeah. As for how good he is, I think he's a tidy player and probably a more inventive passer than some of our other options. He runs the ball down well and he looks to have decent discipline in terms of positioning, so he has the attributes of a half decent international player. BUT, he doesn't have a massive amount of high level experience for us, he's probably not a natural fit at the base of midfield if you were dropping Whelan, for example. Hendrick was always going to play. I think he might be a victim of O'Neill wanting McClean in the team for his work rate and protection down the left and liking Brady more tucked in. His time will come, albeit in time I'd like to see us play McCarthy deepest of the three, with Hendrick and Arter ahead of him and Brady playing wide.

EDIT: Hendrick didn't join Bournemouth, you massive tit, Brophs

Brophs

The One and Only
He might as well be, as that little prick Wilshere will probably keep him out of the Bournemouth team.
I'm not sure that'll happen. They have Fraser, who's no great shakes in there alongside Surman, Arter and Cook, so I think he'll get plenty of games.

WhoDaGOAT

There's nothing worse than when Ireland start to panic.

Much more composure is needed. Brady has been far too quiet. Walters too.

The midfield three need to keep the ball for a 5 minute spell. Dictate.

The crowd will turn on Serbia if they don't score soon. They're a more technical side, but their goalkeeper looks dodgy and Ivanović is terrified of Long.

A draw would be good, a win would be fantastic.

lem8sh

Would bring on Arter now myself and shift Brady to the left and cart the useless McClean off. The fact he gets paid to play football is one of lifes great mysteries. 3 points here would be a brilliant result regardless of how we get it.

WhoDaGOAT

Would bring on Arter now myself and shift Brady to the left and cart the useless McClean off. The fact he gets paid to play football is one of lifes great mysteries. 3 points here would be a brilliant result regardless of how we get it.
McClean is doing a good defensive job and won the free kick that lead to the goal.

I'd hook Walters over him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Really poor goal to concede, that. Only one winner from here, you'd think.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Actually thought Serbia were looking bad enough not to score even with all their possession

I was wrong

It would have been such a great 3 points

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
It's like watching a pub team. No composure at all.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Never really thought we had a chance to get out of this group. Nothing tonight has made me any more positive.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Been so poor today. Can't expect to get results if we fall to pieces every time we take the lead.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The subs have worked

Fair play

I won't deny I was cursing when Quinn was brought on and pretty irate with Murphys introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.