Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, I’d be more concerned about how route one showing them a movie like that is than how offensive it might be considered.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Deary me. That's a bad misread if true. I may have overestimated Stephen. That sounds like a motivational tactic some teenager in a suit on the Irish version of the Apprentice might come up with before falling on his sword.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think he even picked the best film to pull anti-English clips from.

Withnail

Tbf lads there are some English staff and players born in England in the squad. It’s probably not the best idea to stir anti-English feeling. I mean can’t they stir a pride in Ireland without resorting to that bollocks?
There seems to be a few different stories so it'll be interesting to find out what really went on.

This article says it was some kind of montage featuring the 1916 rising and footage of victories over England in 1948 and 1988 which just seems a bit odd.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40085732.html

Brophs

The One and Only
Apparently the film being ITNOTF was just a joke made by John O’Sullivan on Twitter.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
If he was going to show a Daniel Day-Lewis movie he should have gone with My Left Foot, at least Christy Brown could stick the ball in the back of the net.

lsd

The Oracle
If they just happened to watch In The Name of the Father, that's fine. 'Tis a good film with one of DDL's least showy performances.

If they watched it to somehow motivate themselves for a friendly football match against England, that's weird on multiple levels.

Thats exactly what i was thinking :lol: . Good film but a lot more depressing than uplifting in terms of pumping you up for a vital football match

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Tbf lads there are some English staff and players born in England in the squad. It’s probably not the best idea to stir anti-English feeling. I mean can’t they stir a pride in Ireland without resorting to that bollocks?
Jack used to play rebel tunes all the time and half that squad was English.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Whoever leaked it to the fecking daily mail should be sacked on the spot. Heard it was some asthmatic prick from Preston.

Any other of the English players offended should be shown the door with him.

Champagne Football

I'd have to agree though that any video that had any any anti-english vibe to it despite obviously being unintentional, was a brain-dead decision. I'd imagine this will blow over quickly enough as a harmless error.

Oranges038

I got duped by the reference to the movie in the original articles, these all seem to have been amended now. I probably shouldn't have, but I read the article on the mail, the comments section was what it is.

Anyway, whatever he thought was motivational at the time, wouldn't it be fairly certain the coaching staff were aware of it before he showed it? From that point of view if the person who leaked the information was unhappy with it, they could have mentioned before hand. Instead of claiming insult to the papers after the fact. Maybe it's the reason that one of them didn't travel to the game.

Or is this another case of the rags getting wind of something minor and using the sources and members of the squad as wording for a clickbait article?

Either way, in this day and age it wouldnt surprise me one bit if Kenny was sacked over it.

Tel074

Whoever leaked it to the fecking daily mail should be sacked on the spot. Heard it was some asthmatic prick from Preston.

100% agree with this .
When Kenny was at Derry City he was famous was his speeches about how the Derry people have had to fight for everything over the years etc . There is absolutely nothing in this pathetic story and anyone who is offended should feck off and never pull on a green jersey again .

Tel074

From what I've heard the players watched a video of famous goals against England followed by a minute long video on the history between both countries. If anyone was offended then they should be sacked from playing from Ireland .
It's Ireland v England ffs

limerickcitykid

I got duped by the reference to the movie in the original articles, these all seem to have been amended now. I probably shouldn't have, but I read the article on the mail, the comments section was what it is.

Anyway, whatever he thought was motivational at the time, wouldn't it be fairly certain the coaching staff were aware of it before he showed it? From that point of view if the person who leaked the information was unhappy with it, they could have mentioned before hand. Instead of claiming insult to the papers after the fact. Maybe it's the reason that one of them didn't travel to the game.

Or is this another case of the rags getting wind of something minor and using the sources and members of the squad as wording for a clickbait article?

Either way, in this day and age it wouldnt surprise me one bit if Kenny was sacked over it.
The reports are the offended party objected to the video being played before hand and subsequently ran crying to the Daily heil. He then pulled out of the next match due to asthma.

It was a 3 minute video of past goals against England along with a short clip of Irish history and a quote from the proclamation.

If anyone in the camp is offended by our country’s history or independence then they should leave and shouldn’t be representing Ireland in the first place.

All parties responsible for running to rag press should be immediately sacked and removed from the set up. We don’t need such pathetic and toxic behaviour.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Next thing you know, they'll stop singing the national anthem. Where will it all end?

Brophs

The One and Only

That seems a curious point to make given your own family background.

Tel074

The reports are the offended party objected to the video being played before hand and subsequently ran crying to the Daily heil. He then pulled out of the next match due to asthma.

It was a 3 minute video of past goals against England along with a short clip of Irish history and a quote from the proclamation.

If anyone in the camp is offended by our country’s history or independence then they should leave and shouldn’t be representing Ireland in the first place.

All parties responsible for running to rag press should be immediately sacked and removed from the set up. We don’t need such pathetic and toxic behaviour.
Yeah this is what I've heard and a very good friend is part of the back room team . It was nothing at all just a short Irish video to probably bring the squad together for a game we would never win . Whoever outed this needs to be exposed and sent packing .

Oranges038

Maybe he was offended by the showing of goals and not saves.

Definitely better off without the likes of that hanging round the squad and anyone else like him. It's international football there has to be a sense of national pride behind wearing the shirt. No point in playing otherwise.

limerickcitykid

That seems a curious point to make given your own family background.
How so? It’s not a point, he’s from Preston and has asthma. I didn’t say being from Preston is why he’s a prick. It’s just a matter of fact which identifies who he is.

Highlighting the person offended by a nothing video is English isn’t curious anyway when the matter is regarding the English.

And I’m not sure what “given my family background” refers to. I have no family from Preston or England or the UK at all. Nor does any of my family get offended by goals against England, Irish history or the proclamation.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was it just a member of the backroom staff who complained? I thought I saw in one of the articles that a player did too.

Anyway, leaving aside any political correctness issues or problems with the staff it's still very cringe.

As a few people on twitter have pointed out, if we read that Gareth Southgate had shown the England team three minute video about WW2 before playing Germany we'd rightly scoff. Especially if he did it before an absolutely pointless friendly game in an empty stadium and they then went on to lose 3-0.

Brophs

The One and Only
How so? It’s not a point, he’s from Preston and has asthma. I didn’t say being from Preston is why he’s a prick. It’s just a matter of fact which identifies who he is.

Highlighting the person offended by a nothing video is English isn’t curious anyway when the matter is regarding the English.

And I’m not sure what “given my family background” refers to. I have no family from Preston or England or the UK at all. Nor does any of my family get offended by goals against England, Irish history or the proclamation.
I imagine you know what I’m getting at. If asked, you’d say you are Irish. As would Alan Kelly, who played for his country 34 times. Dismissing him (and the others) as “English” to make a point seems odd in your position.

limerickcitykid

I imagine you know what I’m getting at. If asked, you’d say you are Irish. As would Alan Kelly, who played for his country 34 times. Dismissing him (and the others) as “English” to make a point seems odd in your position.
Dismissing people who are offended by a 3 minute video of goals against England and a 30 second reference to Irish independence isn’t odd at all. If he’s offended by Irish history and independence then he shouldn’t have represented “his” country he’s so offended by.

What’s odd is you trying to equate my position, someone who isn’t offended by a 30 second reference to Irish history, with someone who is.

Brophs

The One and Only
Dismissing people who are offended by a 3 minute video of goals against England and a 30 second reference to Irish independence isn’t odd at all. If he’s offended by Irish history and independence then he shouldn’t have represented “his” country he’s so offended by.

What’s odd is you trying to equate my position, someone who isn’t offended by a 30 second reference to Irish history, with someone who is.
Yeah, that’s a load of disingenuous old shite but have at it, I guess.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

And just like that, my sympathies go back towards Stephen Kenny.

Oranges038

As a few people on twitter have pointed out, if we read that Gareth Southgate had shown the England team three minute video about WW2 before playing Germany we'd rightly scoff. Especially if he did it before an absolutely pointless friendly game in an empty stadium and they then went on to lose 3-0.
Ah Twitter, people on Twitter pointed out that something that didnt happen might be scoffed at if it did happen. Scoffed.. That sounds like British talk to me...

It wouldn't bother me if Southgate did that, in fact he'd probably be within his rights to, Germany were the aggressors in that fight. It also wouldn't bother me either if he rallied the players before the Ireland game by showing them videos how the fans ripped up Lansdowne Road or if they watched Escape to Victory or if he had them sat round drinking tae and ating hangsangiches to get into the Irish mindset.

Now if Germany did something similar, say if they were playing Israel, Poland, France, Holland, Russia or Belgium. Then maybe there could be some scope for complaint.

And just like that, my sympathies go back towards Stephen Kenny.
A thoroughly rotten and delusional man. Mountbatten.. . Christ.

Needham

Can't believe they're going to aim the guy over this bantz. Just give them an orange each at half time and call it quits.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ah Twitter, people on Twitter pointed out that something that didnt happen might be scoffed at if it did happen. Scoffed.. That sounds like British talk to me...

It wouldn't bother me if Southgate did that, in fact he'd probably be within his rights to, Germany were the aggressors in that fight. It also wouldn't bother me either if he rallied the players before the Ireland game by showing them videos how the fans ripped up Lansdowne Road or if they watched Escape to Victory or if he had them sat round drinking tae and ating hangsangiches to get into the Irish mindset.

Now if Germany did something similar, say if they were playing Israel, Poland, France, Holland, Russia or Belgium. Then maybe there could be some scope for complaint.

A thoroughly rotten and delusional man. Mountbatten.. . Christ.
I'm not saying people would scoff (yes, I'm sticking with that word dammit) because it's wrong, they'd scoff because it's lame. People make fun of the UK's national obsession with WW2 as is, so for the manager to use that as motivation before as pointless a game as you could imagine would rightly be mocked as David Brent style management. This is no different, it's a cringey approach to take for such an utterly low stakes but still professional game.

I mean they'd be perfectly within their rights to play their players the Any Given Sunday "inches" speech too but that would still be a laughably clichéd Junior B football style approach to getting your players psyched for a game.

Footy van de Geek

I have zero issue with it.

Managers are known for trying random things and using unconventional methods to motivate players and increase unity. Pep, for example, showed his players Gladiator before playing United in Rome. So it was written at the time.

Like it or not, England are the old enemy. You don't have to condone the pipe bombing and kneecapping, but can remember the atrocities and take stock of it.

This goes back to points raised earlier in this thread. I personally don't like us calling up English players. The vast majority are only playing for us because they weren't good enough for England, or they want to use our youth teams as a stepping stone to the England national team (Michael Keane).

In a world where countries like Italy & Spain cap Brazilians, France exploit their colonisation of Africa, Germany benefit from immigration, and even nations like Bulgaria and Russia are capping Brazilians, you can understand why Ireland would want to take advantage of "granny rule" when the biggest and most successful nations are doing anything they can to assemble the best squads possible.

I personally think we should only be calling up players who either have an Irish parent or who lived here for a numbers of years. Players who have an actual passion for Ireland or a relationship with their Irish roots. Michael Keane, for example, has admitted to using us as a stepping stone. His dad is Irish, yet he said he doesn't have much of a relationship with his Irish relatives. He's English. I admire players like Bamford and Nolan who could play for us, but have held out for an England cap instead of using Ireland as a career move or a 2nd choice. I think players like Kilbane are perfectly entitled to play for us. He grew up in England as a circumstance of his parents emigrating to England for work. He ended up becoming one of our best ever servants. He is what you want from and English born player. He has a relationship with his parents' country and gave it his all for Ireland. A prime case study. I feel sorry for Scotland that we took McGeady and McCarthy from them. They should really have been playing for Scotland.

"Roy Keane" said:
"Love of a country is a hard thing to measure but if you see a player on the TV who played for Ireland, singing 'God Save the Queen' in a play-off final, you might just say, 'Oh, right. Maybe he's not really all that Irish'. Matty Holland would be an example. For me, Matty is as English as David Beckham. He played for Ireland and he obviously has the roots.

"But he played for Ipswich in a play-off final, in 2000, and he was singing 'God Save the Queen' at the top of his voice. I don't think he could have sung it any louder. Some of the other Irish lads saw him, too, so at the next couple of international matches we were going, 'Turn that rebel music up a bit'."

If they want to come on board and they qualify, then great, as long as they've a feel for it. I think, in the past, there were one or two players who probably declared for Ireland as a career move - and I can understand that, too.

"They did well for the country, but I look at some of them now and I wonder if they've been back to Ireland since. So I think the attitude should be, 'Listen, if you're going to come on board, get a feel for it - have a warmth for the country but don't just do it as a pure career move'."
Roy Keane sums it up quite nicely above, for me.

Champagne Football

I have zero issue with it.

Managers are known for trying random things and using unconventional methods to motivate players and increase unity. Pep, for example, showed his players Gladiator before playing United in Rome. So it was written at the time.

Like it or not, England are the old enemy. You don't have to condone the pipe bombing and kneecapping, but can remember the atrocities and take stock of it.

This goes back to points raised earlier in this thread. I personally don't like us calling up English players. The vast majority are only playing for us because they weren't good enough for England, or they want to use our youth teams as a stepping stone to the England national team (Michael Keane).

In a world where countries like Italy & Spain cap Brazilians, France exploit their colonisation of Africa, Germany benefit from immigration, and even nations like Bulgaria and Russia are capping Brazilians, you can understand why Ireland would want to take advantage of "granny rule" when the biggest and most successful nations are doing anything they can to assemble the best squads possible.

I personally think we should only be calling up players who either have an Irish parent or who lived here for a numbers of years. Players who have an actual passion for Ireland or a relationship with their Irish roots. Michael Keane, for example, has admitted to using us as a stepping stone. His dad is Irish, yet he said he doesn't have much of a relationship with his Irish relatives. He's English. I admire players like Bamford and Nolan who could play for us, but have held out for an England cap instead of using Ireland as a career move or a 2nd choice. I think players like Kilbane are perfectly entitled to play for us. He grew up in England as a circumstance of his parents emigrating to England for work. He ended up becoming one of our best ever servants. He is what you want from and English born player. He has a relationship with his parents' country and gave it his all for Ireland. A prime case study. I feel sorry for Scotland that we took McGeady and McCarthy from them. They should really have been playing for Scotland.

Roy Keane sums it up quite nicely above, for me.
Yeah Keane said that about Holland but when he was assistant manager of Ireland he was begging the likes of Scott Hogan to come and play, as he was desperate to save his managerial arse. He contradicts himself a lot.

I think the granny rule is perfectly fine. Without it some smaller nations who can sometimes compete with bigger fish would become pub teams over night.

Footy van de Geek

Yeah Keane said that about Holland but when he was assistant manager of Ireland he was begging the likes of Scott Hogan to come and play, as he was desperate to save his managerial arse. He contradicts himself a lot.

I think the granny rule is perfectly fine. Without it some smaller nations who can sometimes compete with bigger fish would become pub teams over night.
I don't see an issue with that. He didn't say he was against English players playing for us. He said that their attitude and feel for it are important, which they are.

I think small nations can achieve great things if the resources and infrastructure are in place. For a long time, John Delaney ensured that wasn't ever going to happen. Croatia and Uruguay have shown what nations with small populations can achieve at international level. Ireland can produce high level players. We have in the past. The island as a whole used to churn them out quite regularly in the 20th century; Liam Whelan, Johnny Giles, Tony Dunne, Pat Jennings, George Best, Martin O'Neill, Paul McGrath, Norman Whiteside, Denis Irwin, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane.

The problem we have is that GAA and Rugby (becoming more and more popular since the early 00's) are hurdles standing in the way of the national team. Having Leinster in Ireland, the equivalent of having a Barcelona or Real Madrid, is unfortunately lost on me. I hate the sport. Despise it even. Lots of potentially good Irish football players are lost to both these sports. Particularly Gaelic football, as the skillset transfers quite well between the sports. Not so much Rugby in terms of skillset, but young kids picking up Rugby at a young age instead of falling in love with Football. Which they're entitled to do. But as an avid Football fan, I would sacrifice success in both those sports for the benefit of Football. There is only one "Beautiful Game", for me.

Croatia and Uruguay have shown what can be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.