Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor

Lads, I’m Limerick born and bred but the chip on the shoulder of the Irish when it comes to the Brits in this day and age, it drives me cracked.

We’re here on an English football club’s fan site, if we were that hardcore and patriotic, it’d be very simple, go off and support your own local club.

We’re simply not in a position to abuse the English/Brits. Get over it and move on.

Manchester United and Old Trafford (all in England) is our happy place.
It always amazes me how some Irish people seem to misinterpret the Irish opinion on the Brits. It has nothing to do with Man Utd, or any individual British company or person on the street.

SirMarcusRashford

I don't get this deep rooted hatred Irish/ Scottish and Welsh people have for anything English, we see it on the forums all the time.

English player coming through, from an Irish perspective he’s got overrated stamped on his forehead straight away simply because he’s English, when England fail in a major tournament or when English clubs go out of the Champions League the reaction is way OTT, it almost seems the sole reason to enjoy football is to take pleasure in seeing anything English to fail, so if that’s the case I can’t understand why these people support an English football club.

I don’t think it’s unfair to say Ireland/Scotland/Wales depend on English football clubs to develop footballing talent for your countries, for example Gareth Bale, one of the world’s greatest players and one point the most expensive player in the world, his talent is courtesy of English grass roots football and English money/English clubs developing this talent, other than Bale being born in Wales, they never did anything to make Gareth Bale ‘the player’, but benefited from his talent.

Another example when a English talent is coming through, the FAI are straight onto it researching into his background to see if he has a Irish grandparent, so why the hate? Surely a stronger England is better for Ireland as it means if some players can’t make the England squad, they will declare for Ireland.

The aim for England is to win major tournaments (world and European cups), whereas Scotland/Wales/Ireland the aim is just to beat England. To have regular showings in major tournaments this mentality needs to change.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't get this deep rooted hatred Irish/ Scottish and Welsh people have for anything English, we see it on the forums all the time.

English player coming through, from an Irish perspective he’s got overrated stamped on his forehead straight away simply because he’s English, when England fail in a major tournament or when English clubs go out of the Champions League the reaction is way OTT, it almost seems the sole reason to enjoy football is to take pleasure in seeing anything English to fail, so if that’s the case I can’t understand why these people support an English football club.

I don’t think it’s unfair to say Ireland/Scotland/Wales depend on English football clubs to developing footballing talent for your countries, for example Gareth Bale, one of the world’s greatest players and one point and the most expensive player in the world, is talent courtesy of English grass roots football and English money/English clubs developing this talent, other than Bale being born in Wales, they never did anything to make Gareth Bale ‘the player’, but benefited from his talent.

Another example when a English talent is coming through, the FAI are straight onto it researching into his background to see if he has a Irish grandparent, so why the hate? Surely a stronger England is better for Ireland as it means if some players can’t make the England squad, they will declare for Ireland.

The aim for England is to win major tournaments (world and European cups), whereas Scotland/Wales/Ireland the aim is just to beat England. To have regular showings in major tournaments this mentality needs to change.
I don’t agree.

the reason other nations like beating England is because there is no other nation with the same level of arrogance and sense of entitlement

Roy'sMagicHat

I don’t agree.

the reason other nations like beating England is because there is no other nation with the same level of arrogance and sense of entitlement
If you truly feel like that, what are you doing supporting an English football team? And furthermore, posting on a message board dedicated to an English club? Strange.

Roy'sMagicHat

I don’t think it’s unfair to say Ireland/Scotland/Wales depend on English football clubs to developing footballing talent for your countries, for example Gareth Bale, one of the world’s greatest players and one point and the most expensive player in the world, is talent courtesy of English grass roots football and English money/English clubs developing this talent, other than Bale being born in Wales, they never did anything to make Gareth Bale ‘the player’, but benefited from his talent.

Absolutely agree. It’s actually so embarrassing, I can only laugh! Small time mentality. Could you imagine the state of the Irish squad down the years if we couldn’t rely on English players?

Withnail

The aim is to beat England? :lol:

Ireland hardly ever play England anymore not since those hooligan's ripped up our stadium and got kicked back onto the boat.

They goal of the Irish football team is indeed to qualify for and do well in tournaments.

Deery

Dreary
I think on the commemoration of Bloody Sunday in Croke Park 100 years ago today by the Black and Tans it isn’t the best time to be looking for English sympathy.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I think it's fairly standard to show videos in this context isn't it?
To a degree ya. But for a friendly against a nation the players play in, I think some words of inspiration would have been all that was needed. Save the videos for a must win game in a qualifier.

SirMarcusRashford

I don’t agree.

I've heard this before and i don't know where it comes from, i think it's just a myth created England's neighbouring countries to hate England even more. English people have no arrogance regarding the national team and certainly no entitlement.

I've also heard people hate the English press due to hype they put on anything English, i think this comes from the 90's and early 00's though. To be fair i think English press is fairly modest compared to other countries and say things how they are regarding our chances, there's nothing wrong with having 'hope' and 'pride' though, but it's like English people can't even have that.

I remember complaints happening when people had a St George's cross on there cars going to work and workplaces banning England flags on cars, people phoning up the radio stations complaining when they play English football songs during a world cup. Eveything is all pc regarding England and it's only Irish/Welsh/Scottish folk who take offence when English people show pride in England, English people don't mind an Irishman being proud to be Irish or a Scotsman being proud to be Scottish or a Welshman being proud to be Welsh.

The aim is to beat England? :lol:

Ireland hardly ever play England anymore not since those hooligan's ripped up our stadium and got kicked back onto the boat.

They goal of the Irish football team is indeed to qualify for and do well in tournaments.
But when you do and 'if' you win, it's celebrated in folklore, something to tell the children/grandkids about in 25 years 'i was there when Ireland beat England'.

It seems like a game against England is your World Cup final and it means more to you than it does to English people, hence this anti-English video played by the Ireland manager.

England won against Ireland last week and no one in England gives a feck.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
I've heard this before and i don't know where it comes from, i think it's just a myth created England's neighbouring countries to hate England even more. English people have no arrogance regarding the national team and certainly no entitlement.

I've also heard people hate the English press due to hype they put on anything English, i think this comes from the 90's and early 00's though. To be fair i think English press is fairly modest compared to other countries and say things how they are regarding our chances, there's nothing wrong with having 'hope' and 'pride' though, but it's like English people can't even have that.

I remember complaints happening when people had a St George's cross on there cars going to work and workplaces banning England flags on cars, people phoning up the radio stations complaining when they play English football songs during a world cup. Eveything is all pc regarding England and it's only Irish/Welsh/Scottish folk who take offence when English people show pride in England, English people don't mind an Irishman being proud to be Irish or a Scotsman being proud to be Scottish or a Welshman being proud to be Welsh.

But when you do and 'if' you win, it's celebrated in folklore, something to tell the children/grandkids about in 25 years 'i was there when Ireland beat England'.

It seems like a game against England is your World Cup final and it means more to you than it does to English people, hence this anti-English video played by the Ireland manager.

Just a guess but could it come from England fans behaviours when they go abroad?

SirMarcusRashford

Just a guess but could it come from England fans behaviours when they go abroad?
All countries have loons. Irish are no exception.

2008 Europa League final at Old Trafford, Rangers fans wrecked Old Trafford and rioted through Manchester.. United couldn't even have a parade for their 2008 Champions League win because of Rangers fans if my memory serves me well.

Withnail

These days if you say you're English you get thrown in jail

golden_blunder

Staff
If you truly feel like that, what are you doing supporting an English football team? And furthermore, posting on a message board dedicated to an English club? Strange.
Huh? I’m not a fan of international football, secondly im from NI and thirdly Manchester United is my only passion. In short, do one pal

golden_blunder

Staff
All countries have loons. Irish are no exception.

2008 Europa League final at Old Trafford, Rangers fans wrecked Old Trafford and rioted through Manchester.. United couldn't even have a parade for their 2008 Champions League win because of Rangers fans if my memory serves me well.
Yeah but that’s rangers fans just like millwall or whoever. Scotland fans don’t wreck the place when they go abroad, neither do Irish or welsh. They party. England fans have a rep of getting drunk and fighting/rioting. That’s just a fact

lsd

The Oracle

First no one in Ireland expected anything other than to get a hiding from England. Look at the players in the teams we are not insane to think we have a chance so it is not our World Cup Final nor did it mean anything to us as it was just another friendly. The performance should have told you that We don't have a World Cup Final as we will never be in one.

St George's flags get criticised because they are associated with right wing hate groups. I saw a survey where a third of English people felt the flag to be racist. How is that the fault of neighbouring countries?

You can show pride in being English but you should really read up on your history and see just how proud it makes you. Believe it or not history matters and you just can't say move on and forget everything whenever someone brings up something you don't like.

Like most people I would rather England do not win a world cup as it would be rammed down our throats for the next hundred years ala 66. It's not hate just a little bit of relief we don't have to constantly listen to it and have the media relive it over and over. Also when England are knocked out it means we can then watch BBC and ITV if we choose as we don't have to listen to discussions of England and watch English press conferences even when it's a match that doesn't involve England. That's called over hyping

As for the Anti England video whatever it was it is the same thing that has been done in the past. Jack Charlton played Rebel songs and joined in when Ireland were travelling to play a game. It is what it is an attempt to create a bit of spirit for a match. We were not training them up to join the IRA whatever the press thinks.

Supports
England
I don’t agree.

The needle has long since swung so far in the opposite direction that most of the people I talk to bitterly underrate our national team. Here's a good heuristic: if they're calling England shit, they're underrating England. We're clearly not a bad team.

Supports
England
I think the Irish mentality towards the English is very self-destructive. It leads to a sort of reflexive support for metapolitical directions that aren't intrinsically good for Ireland but are instead simply contrarian.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I know people say the media/pundits/fans etc now under play the chances of England winning tournaments but I remember when England were on that easy path last World Cup.

Once they got to Croatia, the OLD mentality came back.

The 'it's coming home lads' jokes stopped being jokes.

The media started labelling then the best English side in decades.

Ian Wright already taking about the final and parades when they still had to get past a really strong Croatia team (watch this video, it's hilarious).

I don't watch international football too much but I can see why people don't like the England national team.

SirMarcusRashford

Yeah but that’s rangers fans just like millwall or whoever. Scotland fans don’t wreck the place when they go abroad, neither do Irish or welsh. They party. England fans have a rep of getting drunk and fighting/rioting. That’s just a fact
Well that's probably because they don't go anywhere, next year will be the first times since the 90's since Scotland have been at a major tournament, similar story with Ireland and Wales.

Make no mistake qualify for every major tournament like England usually do and there will be stories of violence with every nation.

Whilst we are different nations, we share a history and our countries/culture (especially booze culture) and people are the same and you and i both know in normal times (no covid/lockdown), there would be fights in bars and clubs all throughout Ireland on a Saturday night just as there would be in England. Have you seen news this morning of multiple stabbings in Cardiff last night? Drinkers in nearby bars evacuated.

Point being stick thugs (no matter where they are from) who love trouble in a bar with a bunch of other thugs who love trouble, singing nationalistic songs and being all patriotic and as soon as they see someone from another country walk past, it won't all be handshakes and hugs.

Last edited:

SirMarcusRashford

First no one in Ireland expected anything other than to get a hiding from England. Look at the players in the teams we are not insane to think we have a chance so it is not our World Cup Final nor did it mean anything to us as it was just another friendly. The performance should have told you that We don't have a World Cup Final as we will never be in one.

St George's flags get criticised because they are associated with right wing hate groups. I saw a survey where a third of English people felt the flag to be racist. How is that the fault of neighbouring countries?

You can show pride in being English but you should really read up on your history and see just how proud it makes you. Believe it or not history matters and you just can't say move on and forget everything whenever someone brings up something you don't like.

Like most people I would rather England do not win a world cup as it would be rammed down our throats for the next hundred years ala 66. It's not hate just a little bit of relief we don't have to constantly listen to it and have the media relive it over and over. Also when England are knocked out it means we can then watch BBC and ITV if we choose as we don't have to listen to discussions of England and watch English press conferences even when it's a match that doesn't involve England. That's called over hyping

As for the Anti England video whatever it was it is the same thing that has been done in the past. Jack Charlton played Rebel songs and joined in when Ireland were travelling to play a game. It is what it is an attempt to create a bit of spirit for a match. We were not training them up to join the IRA whatever the press thinks.
England national flag right wing? You hope Engand don't win another world cup because you don't want it rammed down throats? Wow, talk about ant-Englisness :rolleyes:

What do you want to happen, England win the greatest sporting competition and never talk about it again? What do you think happens in other countries when they win the World Cup? Let me tell you, it's celebrated, it's part of their countries history and it's something they are proud of. If Republic of Ireland are not happy seeing anything English mentioned on their TV, if Republic of Ireland don't like seeing proud English people on their TV or English/Scottish/Northern Irish (British) celebrating in various sporting achievements there is a simple solution to that, stop watching British television, stop supporting an English football team and posting on a forum dedicated to an English sporting team where you will be interacting with many English people who would be proud should England ever win a World Cup again.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
Well that's probably because they don't go anywhere, next year will be the first times since the 90's since Scotland have been at a major tournament, similar story with Ireland and Wales.

Make no mistake qualify for every major tournament like England usually do and there will be stories of violence with every nation.

Whilst we are different nations, we share a history and our countries/culture (especially booze culture) and people are the same and you and i both know in normal times (no covid/lockdown), there would be fights in bars and clubs all throughout Ireland on a Saturday night just as there would be in England. Have you seen news this morning of multiple stabbings in Cardiff last night? Drinkers in nearby bars evacuated.

Point being stick thugs (no matter where they are from) who love trouble in a bar with a bunch of other thugs who love trouble, singing nationalistic songs and being all patriotic and as soon as they see someone from another country walk past, it won't all be handshakes and hugs.
whilst I agree there is fights on streets all over U.K. & ireland at chucking out time, I disagree that it’s carried over to following national football teams of wales, Scotland, NI and Ireland. Whereas the behaviour follows England around. I don’t know why, but it does

Withnail

Give it a rest mate. You're showing yourself up to absolutely clueless.

The Irish have been at tournaments since the 90s. We've been to two euros and 1 world cup since then. The Irish fans are renowned for being great craic, extremely friendly and never causing trouble.

The Irish share very little culture with the English. You are displaying the very arrogance you earlier claimed doesn't exist by spouting of to us about what we're like.

You're having an absolute mare and honestly does no one else find it ironic that an Englishman has entered the Republic of Ireland thread to derail it like this?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Not similar at all :lol: We were at the Euros in 2012 and 2016!

Can I ask where you're from? It might explain why you have so little understanding of our culture and our history with England.

lsd

The Oracle

Absolute nonsense, Rashford would be ashamed you are using his name to post such tripe

SirMarcusRashford

whilst I agree there is fights on streets all over U.K. & ireland at chucking out time, I disagree that it’s carried over to following national football teams of wales, Scotland, NI and Ireland. Whereas the behaviour follows England around. I don’t know why, but it does
'Brits' have a bad reputation abroad (booze filled holidays etc), not just the English and i include Irish people in that too.

I'm sure majority who travel to watch England games, do so peacefully. But these people are not news/YouTube worthy, so you won't see or hear about them. What you will see and hear about is 'the few' and you are judging 'the few' as a representation of 'ALL' England fans.

The Irish share very little culture with the English. You are displaying the very arrogance you earlier claimed doesn't exist by spouting of to us about what we're like.

Not similar at all :lol:

Can I ask where you're from? It might explain why you have so little understanding of our culture and our history with England.
Of course we are culturally similar, less than 100 years ago Republic of Ireland was part of the UK and a part of Ireland (Northern) is still part of the UK and all English (British) history involves Ireland in some shape or form and many English (British) people have some form of Irish background and vice versa.

England and Britain have a massive impact on Irish lives, just as Ireland have a massive impact of British lives (sport/music/entertainment/work/travel etc).

As already talked about the FAI are constantly looking at English talent to see if they have ties to Ireland, no country benefits more from the grandparent rule more than Ireland does with English talent, would this be the case if not culturally tied?

You only have to look at this forum right now to see the high number of Irish Manchester United fans (yourself included), ie:- British sport having an impact on your life, again would this be still case if we was not culturally tied? Never shared a history? If we wasn’t close neighbours?

I'm not even sure what you are both going on about to be honest saying we arn't, who are you trying to kid?

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
'Brits' have a bad reputation abroad (booze filled holidays etc), not just the English and i include Irish people in that too.

I'm sure majority who travel to watch England games, do so peacefully. But these people are not news/YouTube worthy, so you won't see or hear about them. What you will see and hear about is 'the few' and you are judging 'the few' as a representation of 'ALL' England fans.

Of course we are culturally similar, less than 100 years ago Republic of Ireland was part of the UK and a part of Ireland (Northern) is still part of the UK and all English (British) history involves Ireland in some shape or form and many English (British) people have some form of Irish background and vice versa.

England and Britain have a massive impact on Irish lives, just as Ireland have a massive impact of British lives (sport/music/entertainment/work/travel etc).

As already talked about the FAI are constantly looking at English talent to see if they have ties to Ireland, no country benefits more from the grandparent rule more than Ireland does with English talent, would this be the case if not culturally tied?

You only have to look at this forum right now to see the high number of Irish Manchester United fans (yourself included), ie:- British sport having an impact on your life, again would this be still case if we was not culturally tied? Never shared a history? If we wasn’t close neighbours?

I'm not even sure what you are both going on about to be honest saying we arn't, who are you trying to kid?
Why misconstrue me? When I replied to you it was, very clearly, about the fact that we're not similar to Scotland in our major competitions record.

And we are most certainly not "Brits", ugh.

Withnail

Brits, and I'd thank you not to include Ireland in that, don't have a bad reputation abroad in my experience. It's the English, alone, that have a bad reputation. When we go abroad and they hear us speaking english, often we're asked if we're English, not if we're British. When we say we're Irish it's suddenly all smiles which tells you a lot.

Yes there's a shared history that comes with the whole colonisation thing but there are a lot of cultural differences, one of them being the hooligan element.

In an effort not to derail the thread even further this point started with your contention that Ireland hadn't qualified for a International tournament since the 90s and if they had they'd be causing trouble like their English neighbours. You're incorrect on both counts and travelling Irish fans just don't cause trouble. I'd forgotten this but after Euro 2012 Platini came over to present an award to the Irish Fans due to the exemplary behaviour of those who travelled to Poland.

The simple fact is the Irish don't wreck the place when they follow their national team and we don't have a history of hooliganism or a reputation for causing trouble when on holiday.

Champagne Football

It's an American owned club that used to be majority owned by two racehorse Irish blokes. The manager is foreign. The players are from every corner of the globe, the sponsors come from every corner of the globe, and if the worldwide fans suddenly stopped supporting the club then the club would be signing Djemba-Djemba and Titus Bramble instead of Bruno and Cristiano. There's a strong Irish following because the best Irish players of all time have played there McGrath, Keane, Irwin etc

People will pay their hard earned money on quality entertainment. If Partick Thistle up in Scotland were suddenly bought by Bezos the Amazon owner, and they had a front 3 of Messi, Ronaldo and Lewandowski with De Bruyne behind, then you can be sure that they would have a few more fans overnighht than they currently do.

Anyways pointless argument. I don't think there's any animosity between Irish and English football fans apart from a bit of banter here and there, and a small amount of boneheads on both sides who like to take things too far, but every country has a few of those.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Please don't.

And despite what you may think, I can assure you that the reaction you get abroad when people think you're English is often very different to the reaction you get when you then explain that you're actually Irish. The two countries aren't perceived in the same way. To the point where it's an assumption you learn to quickly correct if you want to have a better experience abroad. Particularly if you're travelling in a football context.

Scottish or Welsh posters would have to say whether that extends to them too but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.