Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
I think its fair to say this team could win the World Cup

always_hoping

Some beautiful crosses for the final two goals there. Andorra are muck but always nice to appreciate great deliveries when they are produced.
The delivers was made look better by a very indecisive Andorra Goalkeeper.

always_hoping

As I said, they are muck but a great delivery makes even the very best ‘keepers look indecisive.
A better goalkeeper would have claimed those two crosses on the 3rd,4th goals. The rookie Andorra keeper was caught in two minds. Woeful effort to save the header on the 2nd goal also.

Oranges038

Whatever about the game and the win. I think Kenny is trying to do things right, but this current lot are the worst group of players I can remember in an Irish squad. Right now, It's a toss up between going for the long term view and trying to evolve a new style into the team or going back to the hoofball and maybe scraping the odd one or two nil win.

I also just realised that RTE without Bill and the lads regardless of the game is just not worth watching.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Whatever about the game and the win. I think Kenny is trying to do things right, but this current lot are the worst group of players I can remember in an Irish squad. Right now, It's a toss up between going for the long term view and trying to evolve a new style into the team or going back to the hoofball and maybe scraping the odd one or two nil win.

I also just realised that RTE without Bill and the lads regardless of the game is just not worth watching.
I think we all know where we're going to end up on this front and it won't be the one that has our hearts aflutter.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I remember it like this.

Best and most creative player available when he didn't play.

Not fit enough and not physically up to it when he did play.
That’s basically the exact sentiments that my Irish cousin gave me earlier. He said when he wasn’t playing it felt like Wes was really needed and would be the one to pick the lock, but when he was present he never really impacted the game.

Thanks for the reply, I really liked his style as a player but never saw that much of him.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I remember it like this.

:lol:

I haven't watched Ireland play for at least 5 years, I just like the way this is phrased.

Redrum1982

I remember it like this.

I don't remember it like this at all. He was always our best player but was rarely picked due to the negative tactics we've been plagued with over the past few regimes.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don't remember it like this at all. He was always our best player but was rarely picked due to the negative tactics we've been plagued with over the past few regimes.
Do you think he’d have done better with the current regime?

Charlie Foley

That’s basically the exact sentiments that my Irish cousin gave me earlier. He said when he wasn’t playing it felt like Wes was really needed and would be the one to pick the lock, but when he was present he never really impacted the game.

Thanks for the reply, I really liked his style as a player but never saw that much of him.
In fairness, Euro 2016 is the only tournament we’ve done anything at in almost 20 years now and he scored and set up the only goals we scored from play (and that got us out of the group) with a lovely finish against Sweden and a great cross against Italy

Champagne Football

How was Hoolahan generally regarded in an Irish shirt?
A bit like Juan Mata at Utd. Could either be best player or worst on the pitch depending on the opposition.

Right now I wouldn't swap Stephen Kenny for anyone else, simply because the likes of Troy Parrot, Jason Knight and Darragh O'Shea need as much experience as they can get, regardless of results, instead of a Trappatoni coming in and insisting on sticking with the likes of Shane Long, James McClean, Hendrick, Brady, Duffy etc

Fingers crossed Odubeko comes back into the fold, and Idah starts fulfilling his potential, as we badly need a striker. The U21 appears to have some real talent coming through too.

Oranges038

He wasn't picked and when he wasn't being picked all we heard was about how much he was needed and how he was the best attacking player available. We all know why he wasn't being picked.

When he played he was rarely as impactful as was expected, regularly physically outmuscled and usually hauled off after an hour. Now I really like him as player, I think he has some fantastic attributes, but his physical stature and lack of stamina always went against him.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Without knowing much about them, that looks very much like the wrong move, if he has designs on being an international player again.

Oranges038

Without knowing much about them, that looks very much like the wrong move, if he has designs on being an international player again.
And with that the next big thing becomes the next has been.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Right, MLS is the end of his career but not getting a game at a midtable Cypriot club was obviously the pinnacle of international standard football :lol:

Mix Diskerud, a guy pushed out of the MLS for being shit has just signed for the Cyprus champions and already starting for them in Europe.

Byrne wouldn’t get a game at any half decent MLS side. He’ll have to hope Charlotte are more Cincinnati than Atlanta.

lsd

The Oracle
Is this the place where we talk about Shane Duffy's great start to the season?

Because he's a new man right now.

New attitude it would appear and great to see him playing well. Not so sure I'd welcome back the days of us losing 1.0 and sticking him upfront to lump long ball after long ball in an attempt to get a draw though.

As a defender though surely worth his place

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Is this the place where we talk about Shane Duffy's great start to the season?

Because he's a new man right now.
Can't not be happy for him.

In other news, two debuts tonight from Moran (17) and Ferguson (16) for Brighton - two exciting underage Ireland players.

BerryBerryShrew

Can't not be happy for him.

In other news, two debuts tonight from Moran (17) and Ferguson (16) for Brighton - two exciting underage Ireland players.
Molumby, Connolly and Duffy there already as well. The FAI are basically outsourcing youth development to the sunny South Coast of England at this point.

Brophs

The One and Only
Is this Kenny’s way of giving Randolph a kick up the arse to stop being WH’s number 3 or does he genuinely believe a LOI is a better choice or fits better with the promotion of the Irish game?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Is this Kenny’s way of giving Randolph a kick up the arse to stop being WH’s number 3 or does he genuinely believe a LOI is a better choice or fits better with the promotion of the Irish game?
Id say its more about the LOI - he's not going to play either of them so best to bring Travers in for the experience

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
James Talbot is well deserving of a place in that squad if Kelleher and Bazuna are. Excellent keeper and his six games in Europe all of which Kenny watched he was immense. Half of the squad have come from LOI and our future squads will also have lots of players coming from the LOI. Yes I would absolutely take the stand out keeper in the league who has excelled in six european games in the last two months over a 34 year old third choice keeper.

Deery

Dreary
James Talbot is well deserving of a place in that squad if Kelleher and Bazuna are. Excellent keeper and his six games in Europe all of which Kenny watched he was immense. Half of the squad have come from LOI and our future squads will also have lots of players coming from the LOI. Yes I would absolutely take the stand out keeper in the league who has excelled in six european games in the last two months over a 34 year old third choice keeper.
I don’t think future squads will have lots of LOI if Kenny gets the sack which isn’t the most unlikely thing to happen, we’ll not be seeing more than the odd LOI player..

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
I don’t think future squads will have lots of LOI if Kenny gets the sack which isn’t the most unlikely thing to happen, we’ll not be seeing more than the odd LOI player..
I didn't mean they'll have lots of active LOI players rather they'll have lots of players that are currently playing LOI. Dawson Devoy and Andy Lyons will both be in future Ireland squads and currently playing for Bohs if you get my point. Theres other likewise players in the league

Deery

Dreary
I didn't mean they'll have lots of active LOI players rather they'll have lots of players that are currently playing LOI. Dawson Devoy and Andy Lyons will both be in future Ireland squads and currently playing for Bohs if you get my point. Theres other likewise players in the league
Oh right, I still think it’s a little harsh on Randolph he’s been excellent for us down the years even if he never showed it at West Ham, to say there’s a way back for him at 34 is a little silly, just close the door and be done with it if you’re not going to pick him, think he’s covering his bases there.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Everyone's going to be watching us tomorrow so that they can watch Ronaldo and everyone's gonna see how shit we are :(

Status
Not open for further replies.