Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
Will has scored a few recently hopefully he has put his injuries behind him.

Always remember that he got the chance to come into the United Team before Rashford and I think he had a terrific shot that hit the post before getting injured and next game Rashford came in

RORY65

Fecking hell, so is Callum Robinson an anti-vaxxer or what? I've just seen the news.
His reasoning for why he wasn't vaccinated was really wishy-washy too (not that there's a good reason), he basically couldn't explain his rationale. He's not the only one in the squad by any means though, apparently there's quite a few in the squad and generally uptake amongst footballers hasn't been good (only 7 Premier League team squads are at over 50% fully vaccinated and United are supposedly struggling to get many of the players to get it done). Kenny specifically mentioned concerns around virility, seeming to indicate that some of the players are more willing to take on board a tweet by Nicki Minaj than clear scientific advice.

Robbie Boy

His reasoning for why he wasn't vaccinated was really wishy-washy too (not that there's a good reason), he basically couldn't explain his rationale. He's not the only one in the squad by any means though, apparently there's quite a few in the squad and generally uptake amongst footballers hasn't been good (only 7 Premier League team squads are at over 50% fully vaccinated and United are supposedly struggling to get many of the players to get it done). Kenny specifically mentioned concerns around virility, seeming to indicate that some of the players are more willing to take on board a tweet by Nicki Minaj than clear scientific advice.
I'm sure there's plenty, but I just wonder why Robinson chose to make it public knowledge - or was it leaked, I haven't followed the whole thing?

Just Googled Minaj's Tweet, as I wasn't aware of it. Fml :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
Like most Irish people I’ve always loved Shay Given but whenever I hear him speak there’s very little I agree with.

Robbie Boy

Like most Irish people I’ve always loved Shay Given but whenever I hear him speak there’s very little I agree with.

Totally random, but met him in Dicey's one night. Drunk me asked for a photo, and he was more than obliging. The two twats he was with were absolute dick heads about it, though.

Loved him as a player, but yeah, not a fan of a lot of things he says.

lsd

The Oracle
I'd be surprised if all footballers were vaccinated.

Let's face it the vast majority of footballers are absolute idiots who get all their facts from hanger ons and social media.

RORY65

I'm sure there's plenty, but I just wonder why Robinson chose to make it public knowledge - or was it leaked, I haven't followed the whole thing?

Just Googled Minaj's Tweet, as I wasn't aware of it. Fml :lol:
I think it was leaked that there were still quite a few but no specific names were mentioned. Robinson did a press conference with Kenny where the topic was brought up, particularly in light of Klopp's comments and the stories that several players in the squad weren't fully vaccinated, and Robinson was first asked for his opinion and then directly asked what his stance was and at that stage he confirmed his position. I imagine the journalists would have had some idea of the names or at least would have made an educated guess that he was one given he contracted Covid again fairly recently and so maybe that was why he was asked in that way.

Robbie Boy

I think it was leaked that there were still quite a few but no specific names were mentioned. Robinson did a press conference with Kenny where the topic was brought up, particularly in light of Klopp's comments and the stories that several players in the squad weren't fully vaccinated, and Robinson was first asked for his opinion and then directly asked what his stance was and at that stage he confirmed his position. I imagine the journalists would have had some idea of the names or at least would have made an educated guess that he was one given he contracted Covid again fairly recently and so maybe that was why he was asked in that way.
Ah ok cheers. I assumed it must have been a leak, as I had no idea why he would openly say it given the obvious backlash.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s 5 million now, plus help from northern players under GfA agreement makes the catchment closer to 6 or 7 million.

More people than Croatia, only 1 million less than Denmark, half of Portugal but twice as many as Slovenia. Many times more than Luxembourg and Iceland.

I feel like the 3rd sport thing is a very easy excuse because football is really widely played here and really high interest in the game, as much as any other country.

Coaching on the other hand and funding towards it is really lacking, it’s shocking. There’s no full time paid academy coaches here at all, it’s not a job anyone can take, which is shocking for a rich country. Everyone cares about the national team yet ‘there’s no money’ in coaching. We outsourced coaching to Britain for far too long and it’s come back to haunt us.
Agreed. Think of the money channelled into horse breeding and racing…

AaronRedDevil

Playing well enough at least. Here does anyone know how to get tickets for the Portugal v Ireland match?

Withnail

Playing well enough at least. Here does anyone know how to get tickets for the Portugal v Ireland match?
I don't think we're playing well at all. We've feck all possession and are creating very little.

It seems we're not used to being a goal up. Hope we don't wait to concede before we start playing again.

RORY65

CR7 with a second, took a deflection and not great keeping but a big goal nevertheless as the performance since the opener hasn't been great.

lsd

The Oracle
Vacinne stance or not I think it's safe to say he is the one true CR7

Deery

Dreary
That was a real computer game goal the first one, like something outa fifa 97..

Status
Not open for further replies.