Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Once Conor Sammon is fit again this team will really look the business.

Nick7

I desperately want this team to have turned the corner and definitively shut up the folks looking for a return to slogball.
I genuinely think so. All the talk about “worst Irish team ever” is utter bollocks. We play decent stuff with a lot of young players (another debut tonight). Just need to start scoring consistently.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I genuinely think so. All the talk about “worst Irish team ever” is utter bollocks. We play decent stuff with a lot of young players (another debut tonight). Just need to start scoring consistently.
Well the Irish team/squad over the last 10 years is the worst I’ve seen since I’ve been watching; which is from Italia ‘90.

The young talent coming through, and more in the various underage sides, is of a much higher calibre though. The future’s definitely brighter!

Last edited:

Nick7

Well the Irish team/squad over the last 10 years is the worst I’ve seen since I’ve been watching; which is from Italia ‘90.

The young talent coming through, and more in the various underage sides, is of a much higher calibre though. The future’s definitely brighter!
Yeah the young talent is why I think the talk of that is bollocks. This squad is quite exciting and full of good players. Down side is this current qualification period is probably one period too early for a lot of them.

Brophs

The One and Only
I assumed I'd get through the week without having to disagree with Callum Robinson again, but Qatar are a lot of things, but a "very good team with a lot of quality in the team" is not among them.

Oranges038

I assumed I'd get through the week without having to disagree with Callum Robinson again, but Qatar are a lot of things, but a "very good team with a lot of quality in the team" is not among them.
Have to be the worst host nation ever.

Maybe they can South Korea their way to the semis.

Nick7

Just how shit are CONCACAF and the AFC? They won the last Asia cup and got to the semis of the Gold Cup

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Just how shit are CONCACAF and the AFC? They won the last Asia cup and got to the semis of the Gold Cup
CONCACAF is mediocre aside from Mexico and USA, and AFC has always been super mediocre bar SK,Japan, and Australia.

So yeah, is no surprise that Qatar can win Asia Cup and get a semis in Gold Cup

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yeah the young talent is why I think the talk of that is bollocks. This squad is quite exciting and full of good players. Down side is this current qualification period is probably one period too early for a lot of them.
I had no expectation or hope that we'd compete for a qualification place, and had written off this campaign before it started. So our place in the group right now isn't a surprise for me.

Whilst we have some very good young players coming through, there's too great of a gap to the older senior players and too many aren't starting for their clubs. In other words...it was definitely too soon for us.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I have been watching Ireland since the late 60s and can honestly say I can’t remember a time when we were so short of quality.I don’t care what we beat Quatar by.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I have been watching Ireland since the late 60s and can honestly say I can’t remember a time when we were so short of quality.I don’t care what we beat Quatar by.
Well yeah, if you look at the clubs our players are representing, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Wigan, St.Mirren, Sheffield United, West Brom, bench warmers for Spurs, Norwich, Newcastle etc. it doesn't inspire confidence. But I don't give a monkey's. I'm really excited watching them coming together, I can't wait for the next Euro campaign. I'll take this over 20 Martin O'Neill campaigns. I haven't felt this invested in an Irish team in an age.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well yeah, if you look at the clubs our players are representing, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Wigan, St.Mirren, Sheffield United, West Brom, bench warmers for Spurs, Norwich, Newcastle etc. it doesn't inspire confidence. But I don't give a monkey's. I'm really excited watching them coming together, I can't wait for the next Euro campaign. I'll take this over 20 Martin O'Neill campaigns. I haven't felt this invested in an Irish team in an age.
Exactly. At a time when football is bringing me precious little joy if this young Irish team can turn the corner it would be a buzz like no other. Parrot and Nathan Collins coming off the bench and looking pure class was a nice way for the game to end but my favourite moment was Ogbene unable to hide his massive grin when the crowd gave him an ovation. Lovely stuff altogether.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I had no expectation or hope that we'd compete for a qualification place, and had written off this campaign before it started. So our place in the group right now isn't a surprise for me.

Whilst we have some very good young players coming through, there's too great of a gap to the older senior players and too many aren't starting for their clubs. In other words...it was definitely too soon for us.
Thing is Ireland has to compete for qualify against much better teams than Qatar.

Last time ROI went to a WC, they got Portugal and Netherlands in the same group, didn't lose to Portugal, and got 1 draw and 1 win against Netherlands.

Unless they got an easy group like the one Denmark got, i can't see them qualifying.Even though i believe Denmark is just much better than the rest of their group.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Exactly. At a time when football is bringing me precious little joy if this young Irish team can turn the corner it would be a buzz like no other. Parrot and Nathan Collins coming off the bench and looking pure class was a nice way for the game to end but my favourite moment was Ogbene unable to hide his massive grin when the crowd gave him an ovation. Lovely stuff altogether.
There was a feel good factor in there last night. I've been to the last 3 matches and I am starting to find the grà for Ireland again. We might never win the world Cup but we can become a decent team that's hard to beat.

Qatar were terrible but I don't care. When fodder is in front of you the job is to hammer them and we did that.

The crowd was in good spirits and hopefully a full house for the next one against CR7

Deery

Dreary
We’re doing alright, Doherty playing well, just a pity we don’t have a class centre forward..

AaronRedDevil

I was supposed to be at this match. So gutted I couldn't get tickets for it. No way I'm paying €250 per ticket after it sold out.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Looking good so far, proper up for it, closing down everything and looking a threat from set pieces.

Duffy header to win in the 82nd minute.

AaronRedDevil

Ireland manager for the united job? Great ball play and imagine what he could do a with a striker that can score. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.