Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ok but it's just tired reading United players repeatedly getting abuse especially when it's on a thread nothing to even do with them.

Rashford is just going through a bad year for a team that's struggling he's 24 and scored over 100 top class goals.

Give him a break and he will be back. We have bigger problems
im sorry too :angel:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What a goal!!

Thought that was heading to an undeserved draw.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

For anyone who missed Parrott getting sick of the Haaland/Mbappe comparisons and putting the conversation to bed.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Shades of “like Vidic with pace” but I just think he has something about him. His career’s had a wee wobble but he’s still very young.
He's been very highly thought of at Spurs for a long time.
I think he'll have a good professional career.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Anyone have the background on Parrott actually? Hearing from a few mates he's a scumbucket who hangs out with certain large gangs in Ireland, and from others that he's a lovely bloke caught up with the wrong people.

Anyone have any insight?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Is that right? All I know about his background is that played for Belvedere and is a good guitarist/singer. I always thought he had a fairly stable upbringing?
Anyone have the background on Parrott actually? Hearing from a few mates he's a scumbucket who hangs out with certain large gangs in Ireland, and from others that he's a lovely bloke caught up with the wrong people.

Anyone have any insight?
He’s from Buckingham St/Sean McDermott St area I think, same as Glenn Whelan, and has family/friends with similar issues to Whelan’s brother who makes the papers every so often. Saw it mentioned on Boards that his father or step-father was murdered in 2010. He is, or at least was, good mates with a number of youngfellas involved in the Dublin crime scene, including one murdered in Coolock in 2019.

Haven’t heard anything but positive stuff about his character.

Jericho

Our weakest squad probably ever, yet Kenny has them really playing. It's such a shame we didn't have a manager who really wanted to get us playing when had some serious talent in years gone by. Even just going back to the days of Wes Hoolahan, he may not have been a world beater but he would have thrived in this era.

Green_Red

Our weakest squad probably ever, yet Kenny has them really playing. It's such a shame we didn't have a manager who really wanted to get us playing when had some serious talent in years gone by. Even just going back to the days of Wes Hoolahan, he may not have been a world beater but he would have thrived in this era.
Kenny might achieve something that makes us look back on this group as being a good one in years to come.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Deserved win.
Savage goal.

Kenny is a pure football man and I'm glad it's now starting to fall into place for him

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m terrible for getting carried away about things (see comment above re Parrott) but we were pretty shit for almost the whole match tonight, weren’t we? On reflection a little disappointing overall. So many sloppy moments and unforced errors. Plus we seem extremely dependent on Hendrick when it comes to creativity.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’m terrible for getting carried away about things (see comment above re Parrott) but we were pretty shit for almost the whole match tonight, weren’t we? On reflection a little disappointing overall. So many sloppy moments and unforced errors. Plus we seem extremely dependent on Hendrick when it comes to creativity.
We looked a bit off alright. Wouldn’t worry massively about it, though. Generally the being able to cut apart teams who sit deep comes later in the cycle of teams (if at all).

Also, on getting carried away, we’ve all been that soldier. You’ll be able to dig up posts where I suggested that Barca around the time of their MSN glory should buy Seamus Coleman.

Bennie Blanco

When was this?

Jericho

When was this?
Going back as far as I've been supporting them we at one time had Shay Given, Stephen Carr, Steve Finnan John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Damien Duff, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane. And those were supported by a lot of solid premier league players. At that time almost our whole squad was premier league players, with a handful playing in the Champions League with regularity.

There are other era's that people could make a case we were more stacked, but we had a good squad in the early 00s which has consistently declined since then (at least on paper in terms of the level our players are playing at).

Bennie Blanco

Going back as far as I've been supporting them we at one time had Shay Given, Stephen Carr, Steve Finnan John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Damien Duff, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane. And those were supported by a lot of solid premier league players. At that time almost our whole squad was premier league players, with a handful playing in the Champions League with regularity.

There are other era's that people could make a case we were more stacked, but we had a good squad in the early 00s which has consistently declined since then (at least on paper in terms of the level our players are playing at).
I ask you again when was this? Roy Keane was seriously talented. Duff was a top player and so was Given I can't say the same about the others. Seriously talented? Not in this life.

Jericho

I ask you again when was this? Roy Keane was seriously talented. Duff was a top player and so was Given I can't say the same about the others. Seriously talented? Not in this life.
Are we in a court of law or something? Asked and answered bud.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Don't make us break out the "Gary Breen almost signed for Inter Milan on a free" story bucko, we're not here to be trifled with

Brophs

The One and Only
Don't make us break out the "Gary Breen almost signed for Inter Milan on a free" story bucko, we're not here to be trifled with
Plus Kevin Zefi did a rabona in Italy the other week so I dunno what this guy is on about.

The work that Kenny has done while overseeing a huge turnover of players is very very impressive. By chance I happened to be at a Dunfermline match while Kenny was there, safe to say he didn't have the backing of the supporters. Due to this and a few other reasons I thought the Ireland job would be too much for him but I am delighted to have been proved wrong. His instinctive reaction to go for youth and a fluent ball playing style have been rewarded and fair play to him, reminds me slightly of what Michael O Neil did with Northern Ireland. Hopefully Kenny can manage to achieve a qualification while he is in the job but at the very least he has introduced a great style of football and brought some joy back to the team and supporters.

Oranges038

I'd say the late 80s early 90s side were more stacked. When Jack Charlton took over, Ireland genuinely had some of the best players in England playing for the top teams. It was a toss up between him and Bob Paisley, Paisely had won every voting round up to the last one. When it swung in Jacks favour.

Arguably that decision set Ireland down the hoofball path and we've struggled to get away from it ever since.

Here's hoping Kenny sticks to his guns and gets results whilst trying to play decent football. It can only be a good thing in the long run.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Ogbene is gonna be a star isn't he? Obafemi is really starting to hit form too. It's the first time there's been a bit of excitement in many years.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Hopefully they keep him. He's hit form the last few months, he has a touch of class and arrogance that has been missing in Ireland for years. He's got great composure in front of goal.

The only problem is Spurs are well stocked up in attacking positions. When Lucas can't start, you know it's gonna be a tough ask.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
No Bazunu no party.

I totally missed it. I thought it was on this evening. Were we bad or just unable to score again?
Bazunu is a young keeper isn't it? Looking from the recent performances in the WC qualifiers Ireland seemed to be improving without having those big names known from Premier League squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.