Ogden: Mourinho eyes Man United clear-out

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don't get the whole clear out thing, none of the players mentioned are regular starters, their squad players.

The issues we are haing are becuase our op stars arnt performing, i find the whole thing werid Sanchez and Pogba and playing crap so lets sell Dramian and Shaw? what?

Plus where going to trust mourinho to bring in replacements, his record is extremely patchy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Van Gaal's 14/15 clear out was pretty huge, to be fair.

Of just the senior players; Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Alex Buttner, Patrice Evra, Danny Welbeck, Shinji Kagawa, Tom Cleverley, Nani, Javier Hernandez, Darren Fletcher, Wilfried Zaha, Anderson, Nick Powell and Michael Keane were all either released, sold or loaned out never to return (Hernandez came back briefly a year later, but was gone again).

You could go a bit deeper and even include guys like Bebe, Angelo Henriquez, Sam Johnstone (still out on loan, for the 100th time), Ben Amos, Will Keane, Tom Lawrence, and a good few more reserves who were axed that year.

Brutal clear out.

This one won't be as massive, but I think Mourinho will be quite ruthless, and I predict some fans will be upset.
Would love Martial, would suit us massively but I doubt it would fly.

Coxy

A clearout won't solve anything - just look at how many chances we had against Seville - it's our style of play that needs changing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't get the whole clear out thing, none of the players mentioned are regular starters, their squad players.

The issues we are haing are becuase our op stars arnt performing, i find the whole thing werid Sanchez and Pogba and playing crap so lets sell Dramian and Shaw? what?

Plus where going to trust mourinho to bring in replacements, his record is extremely patchy.
What do Sanchez and Pogba have to do with Darmian and Shaw ? Surely it wouldn't matter how the first two are playing to make an informed assessment on whether the 2nd two should stay at the club.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
A clearout won't solve anything - just look at how many chances we had against Seville - it's our style of play that needs changing.
Jose just needs to watch out that he's not part of the clear out ;)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A clear out in itself won't solve anything.
Some obviously need to leave though.

KristianMackle

I'll take Fred in midfield. I'll also take Allan from Lazio and or Seri.
Once we got two of those players in, we go after defenders. Alex Telles at LB, Manolas or Tah at CB.
In terms of who we ship out, could care less.

Red_toad

Why isn't Fellaini counted as one of the outs? He's got no contract in a few short months.

I wonder if the club might decide it's cheaper to get a coach who can get the best out of the players, over one who has a few favourites, but everyone else needs to be on their toes, as they might be in for a public roasting.

Dr. StrangeHate

Muppet bus is starting up, can’t wait for the football to end and the real reason us supporters exist.

:drool::drool: All Aboard!!! :drool::drool:
If Mourinho stays the Muppet season would be rather disappointing. This season jose will get his work horses in.

Lam

Can see Shaw, Smalling, Fellaini, Darmian, Blind, and Ibra leaving. In addition to Carrick retiring.

Other players who Mou might want to upgrade - Rojo, Jones, Herrera, and Lingard.

With only TFM, Pereira, LB, CM, and probably one more versatile defender like Azpilicueta coming in, I can only see the first 6 leaving.

6 out and 5 in.

Adisa

It will be
Darmian
Shaw
Fellaini
Carrick
Zlatan
Blind
Pereira
Maybe Herrera and Smalling.
That's about 7 gone.

Oldyella

A clear out in itself won't solve anything.
Some obviously need to leave though.
It needs to happen whether Jose stays or goes anyway. Squad has too many clogging up space that younger players could occupy instead like Darmian and Blind. Them, Young, Shaw, one of Rojo or Jones, Carrick, Fellaini and Zlatan is 8 already before you even get to the players who are getting games. Would be fine with that, not too keen on losing Martial though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Possible Out: Pogba, Martial, Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Felliani, Herrera

MUFC OK

Perisic and Willian added to Matic and Sanchez. Would really be building for the future targeting these late 20's guys.
Mourinhos short contract extension was just that for a reason. Theres no 5-10 year plan here.

Oldyella

Can see Shaw, Smalling, Fellaini, Darmian, Blind, and Ibra leaving. In addition to Carrick retiring.

Other players who Mou might want to upgrade - Rojo, Jones, Herrera, and Lingard.

With only TFM, Pereira, LB, CM, and probably one more versatile defender like Azpilicueta coming in, I can only see the first 6 leaving.

6 out and 5 in.
Think Smalling will be safe simply as he can stay fit.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

The idea is you buy better for the first 11 and the ones you mentioned get sold. The ones not performing in the starting 11 go to the bench but we are still improving in quality.

Adisa

It needs to happen whether Jose stays or goes anyway. Squad has too many clogging up space that younger players could occupy instead like Darmian and Blind. Them, Young, Shaw, one of Rojo or Jones, Carrick, Fellaini and Zlatan is 8 already before you even get to the players who are getting games. Would be fine with that, not too keen on losing Martial though.
Don't think it's a possibility.
He's got 11G/11A despite not starting every time. In a team that still struggling in attack, he won't be sold.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's listing Mata as a player with uncertain future after the guy had already activated his extra year option 2 months ago !

Ogden is a joke as usual.
Yeah but we could also trigger that option to get a bit of a fee for him instead of leaving on a free. I wouldn't be shocked to see it go either way with Mata, he seems to be fine with a squad role and he's one of the more experienced heads in the dressing room so maybe leaning more towards him staying.

His record is a million times better than LVG.

Sanchez is undoubtably WC and has been here 5 minutes, Pogba on form is a sensational player as he showed for the first half of the season before injury, Bailly is our best defender, Matic our best outfield player and Lukaku is a top drawer striker.

"Patchy" indeed.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
What do Sanchez and Pogba have to do with Darmian and Shaw ? Surely it wouldn't matter how the first two are playing to make an informed assessment on whether the 2nd two should stay at the club.
its the idea of saying we need a clear out of squad players, of course a couple of squad players are gonna come and go in the summer, but concentrating on that, as if thats a major problem just feels like the football equivalent of the boiler not working so we should through out the kettle.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
its the idea of saying we need a clear out of squad players, of course a couple of squad players are gonna come and go in the summer, but concentrating on that, as if thats a major problem just feels like the football equivalent of the boiler not working so we should through out the kettle.
Most of our players are squad players, with the exceptions of Lukaku, De Gea, and Matic - everyone else have for whatever reason not always started. Even Pogba has been relegated to the bench at times. In the end its all about adding quality and getting rid of players who don't meet the manager's standard.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The idea is you buy better for the first 11 and the ones you mentioned get sold. The ones not performing in the starting 11 go to the bench but we are still improving in quality.
which in general is happening,
Sanchez and Pogba arnt perfoming so players like Martial, Rashford, Mctominoy come in and have been doing well.

Your never gonna have a team of 25 supertars though, and if your big investments and stars arn't performing, thats a far bigger issue then players like your reserve left back not quite living up to what the manager wants.

Dr. StrangeHate

We have enough “quality” in my opinion not enough players that are going to pull up their socks and get stuck in.

That Sevilla game had a distinct lack of workers.
Fellaini, Matic, young, Valencia, Lingard are all workers.
I would say Lukaku, Sanchez and Rashford are workers as well with some flair mixed in.
How many more workers do you need?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
What a lot of tits, when have you ever see 10 players out that are squad players, its near impossible considering the wages most are on. Zlatan and Carrick are nailed on's, even at that I cant see another 8 going out.
City this season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Possible Out: Pogba, Martial, Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Felliani, Herrera
There's 0 chance we sell Pogba, I'd bet my house on it. We're grooming him to be the face of United; he's our most marketable player, from the academy and despite his poor form, he's an immensely gifted player whose skill set is very hard to find as it's so unique.

We're building the team around Pogba, just look at the signings for midfield we're trying to make, Fred is meant to be a Fernandiniho type player who'd be ideal for playing in a midfield three. We're also teaching McTominay to be defensively disciplined in a midfield three, again, so he can seamlessly fit in to help out Pogba when we need him too.

Next season I think we'll see Pogba in his favoured role in a midfield three, if he still doesn't perform, then maybe we'll start to consider moving him on but I'd be stunned if he left this season. You don't put that kind of investment in a player then get rid of him only two seasons later.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There's 0 chance we sell Pogba, I'd bet my house on it. We're grooming him to be the face of United; he's our most marketable player, from the academy and despite his poor form, he's an immensely gifted player whose skill set is very hard to find as it's so unique.

We're building the team around Pogba, just look at the signings for midfield we're trying to make, Fred is meant to be a Fernandiniho type player who'd be ideal for playing in a midfield three. We're also teaching McTominay to be defensively disciplined in a midfield three, again, so he can seamlessly fit in to help out Pogba when we need him too.

Next season I think we'll see Pogba in his favoured role in a midfield three, if he still doesn't perform, then maybe we'll start to consider moving him on but I'd be stunned if he left this season. You don't put that kind of investment in a player then get rid of him only two seasons later.
Agreed.

The Irish Connection

This lad Fred looks quality ! Can tackle, dribble, pass. Really hope we don't let him go to city, looks like just the player we need in midfield and is at a good age too at 24, just coming into his prime years.
We do need to ship out some players as well.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Most of our players are squad players, with the exceptions of Lukaku, De Gea, and Matic - everyone else have for whatever reason not always started. Even Pogba has been relegated to the bench at times. In the end its all about adding quality and getting rid of players who don't meet the manager's standard.
thats the problem then isnt it, that the players we bought to be out main stars, like Pogba and Snachez Mata (and Previously Mkhitaryan) arnt performing and players like Martial and Rashford havn't quite stepped up to the level the manager is happy enough to start them every week.

It just feels like were going i don't really know what to do about players like Sanchez and Pogba, so lets sell our reserve right back.....

Last edited:

Marcky411

Yes we can all name a list of players that should go and who are leaving, but since when has a club got rid of half a team to accommodate a manager. Most of the time they change managers to see if fresh ideas/manager can get a team going. This we have seen in abundance this season in the PL, clubs chopping and changing managers, not so much players.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
City this season.
They have unlimited resources though, most of those players named we would get sod all for. There will not be all those players going. Darmian definite, Blind, Carrick, Ibra and maybe Fellaini and one of the CB's. That is six. Teams can spend most of their summer trying to get rid of players and miss out on targets they want to bring in. Also think Andreas will be gone, so that is another one.
How much of last summer did we mess about on Perisic, I hope we are not going to do that again? Willian would be a great signing, but I want to see some more younger players in, 24/25 year olds. Not ones knocking on 30 again.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
His record is a million times better than LVG.

Sanchez is undoubtably WC and has been here 5 minutes, Pogba on form is a sensational player as he showed for the first half of the season before injury, Bailly is our best defender, Matic our best outfield player and Lukaku is a top drawer striker.

"Patchy" indeed.
well it is patchy, Mkhitaryan flopped, Lindleof is Flopping, Sanchez and Pogba are struggling.

thats at best 50%, and lets not forget that it is only a few weeks since people where slagging of Matic and Lukaku. Zlatan caused alot of debate last season whether we where better with or without him.

I think patchy is fair, im not saying its car crash stuff but patchy is defiantly a fair statement.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Thing is there's definitely issue between Mourinho and Pogba, you will be kidding yourself to say there isn't anything there.

Another thing is Pogba may request for transfer if he thinks he really can't play under Mourinho, given that he seems to be lacking discipline and professionalism to handle such thing (see Conte vs Costa)

waza7111

Sign 2 top class young full backs, a centre back and a good right winger. That would probably transform our squad.

redpatron

Iron sharpens Iron. Competition keeps everyone on their toes. There's too many players in the club half-assing it, because they believe their spot is safe.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sign 2 top class young full backs, a centre back and a good right winger. That would probably transform our squad.
Can't see us going for yet another CB when we already have 5 capable ones. Even if one leaves we would still have plenty to choose from. And since there is no CB partnership, but rather CB by committee based on who is in form and healthy, I can't see Jose buying another one.