Ogden: Mourinho eyes Man United clear-out

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Zlatan has barely played this year. New RW would be looking to start (same with Sanchez on the left), decreasing the game time of both Rashford and Martial so we're likely to see Martial leave so Rashford's game time isn't affected as much.

Good point.

Isn't Lucas right sided? Martial doesn't play well there. Would be a good option as Kane's backup though.
Yeah I know he is mainly on the left, was just trying to shoehorn him in :lol:.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Would appears Shaw's agent or somebody similarly close has been speaking up:

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...nsider-manchester-united-future-in-the-summer

Shifting all blame on Mourinho for being a big bad boss and not being nice to the 22 year-old millionaire, Luke Shaw.
What do you expect him to do when Mourinho's publicly thrashed him a few times. His agent is just looking out for his career further down the line (damage control). After what Mourinho said, it is unlikely many will be interested at all.

@Damien
But we only have Lukaku as a striker, Rashford could be brought forward while Martial has been used on the right so he would get gametime on both flanks.
My prediction is Martial will keep Sanchez out as the season goes on and Alexis will end up in PSG as Neymars replacement.
I can't see that happening. Would love to be wrong but I think Sanchez will be here a lot longer than Martial.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What do you expect him to do when Mourinho's publicly thrashed him a few times. His agent is just looking out for his career further down the line (damage control). After what Mourinho said, it is unlikely many will be interested at all..
this

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Brilliant, let's sell Martial and bring in more OAPs like Willian and Perisic.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Would appears Shaw's agent or somebody similarly close has been speaking up:

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...nsider-manchester-united-future-in-the-summer

Shifting all blame on Mourinho for being a big bad boss and not being nice to the 22 year-old millionaire, Luke Shaw.
in fairness id be speaking up if i was Shaw yesterday, Mourinho's comments were bizarre, that he wasn't aggressive enough when he was arguably to aggressive and was leaving massive gaps behind him.

I'm not saying Shaw is blameless for what has happened in his time here, as I don't think he looks after himself well enough and his defensive positioning still has a lot to be desired, but yesterday I think he has a right to be pissed off.

Anyway, best for everyone if Shaw goes now.

devilish

In my opinion Martial, Sanchez or Rashford will be moved to STK to act as cover/competition to Lukaku.

red_devil83

There's no way on earth we should be entertaining listening to offers for Martial

izec

One of Martial/Rashford are surplus. Martial will lose out. We can get good money for him, and i doubt we wouldnt sell him if a 50m+ offer comes in.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Wouldn't worry so much about Martial, although I guess the noise his agent has been making for the last two years is concerning. The fact that Mourinho has said and showed he has no problems with shipping off players to other English clubs doesn't mean he doesn't want to get on the better end of the deal. Anyone can see selling him to Spurs is way too dangerous, the risk of that backfiring is so obvious. And then there's the fact that Spurs haven't been cooperative with us at all for years.

tjb

It's about time. To be honest, I would not mind if we sold everybody not named Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea, Sanchez, Bailly, and Matic. Everyone else, should be sellable, regardless of age or price. When Mourinho came, I expected a ruthless clearout of the squad as he'd done in the past, but he gave players opportunities and chances throughout the run. Part of me feels that sentimentality from the Europe League win also contributed to him not selling many players last summer, but now, there is nothing to lose, and the 3 star players that he has kept have continued to show him how mediocre they can be. I legitimately look at our team and think that a lot of these players would not make it at Everton, which is mid-table, so they are relegation fodder or championship players. So if we can finally clear these type of players out and replace them with guys that at minimum give 7/10 performances, not Valencia's 5/10 that people call a 7, then we might start actually looking like the top european team we are.

izec

People need to relax a bit. Watch the world cup in the summer and see what we do in the market. It comes as it comes, we support the club in the end and if they give Jose the green light to do as he pleases in the market and with the squad, thats fine for me. Ed and him are mainly responsible for that. I would rather get rid of Jose in the summer, but that wont happen either, he will be held accountable if it all goes tits up.

Bobski

I am really not in on the short term approach of signing a group of older players on massive contacts who will be nightmare to move on for the next manager after Mou inevitably implodes. Great for Mou, might be to be able to to scrap a title out from that approach but for the medium-long term for the club? Looking at another clear out not far off if we go in that direction.

By the way LVG must have been doing an incredible job to get 5th and a cup given how appalling the squad he left is being made out to be.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Jose sells Martial & Mata, Jose can feck off.
What'd be the issue with selling Mata? There's positives and negatives to his sale but I'd be fine whatever happens to him.

SAFTHEGREAT

Keep Herrera, Martial and Mata. Buy Varane and play him alongside Bailly. Rose is good but i would prefer Sandro or even Alaba. I was wishing we'd buy Cancelo. Persic not happening, Fred is a good CM but i think we have a chance to rope in Saul this summer and we should go for it.

RedDevil@84

The international break has come at a wrong time. So much time for journos to s**t talk about Utd, Jose and the players. And so much time for caf (including me) to read all those stories and lose the mind.

Jacko21

What do you expect him to do when Mourinho's publicly thrashed him a few times. His agent is just looking out for his career further down the line (damage control). After what Mourinho said, it is unlikely many will be interested at all.
Oh, am not remotely surprised his agent spoke up, was just posting the quotes.

Equally though, Shaw is an adult, at some point he needs to take responsibility.

Henrik Larsson

One of Martial/Rashford are surplus. Martial will lose out. We can get good money for him, and i doubt we wouldnt sell him if a 50m+ offer comes in.
The whole surplus thing surely is only true as long as Lukaku keeps his insane fitness record and somehow will magically still be fresh after no summer break because of the World Cup.

devilish

Equally though, Shaw is an adult, at some point he needs to take responsibility.
Young talent is unpredictable. Players might have the talent but not the attitude to make it or injuries might cripple them.

Henrik Larsson

And his brother was the one who publicly accused Mourinho on fecking twitter of having it in for poor chubby Luke.

I also remember Mourinho publicly humiliating Matic after it went tits up at Chelsea once...

Andersons Dietician

Seems like a total BS made up by journo story. I mean I could believe the targets, easily. But to clear out 10 players. Didn’t he at the start of the season say he was very happy with the squad or something.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The club would never let Martial go, they aren't stupid. He's a fan favourite, a great player and still pretty young.

Unless he specifically kicks off then he isn't going anywhere.

RedDevil@84

What'd be the issue with selling Mata?
- Mata is better of the lot and is probably the only creative player despite his limitations with speed and physicality (especially when Pogba ans Sanchez are struggling to make an impact)

- Unless, we are going for real quality in replacement, we will still be struggling with creativity.

- We have players in other positions who would need replacements before thinking of throwing Mata out.

tjb

I'd rather Jose leaves than have him replace Martial with Perisic
Martial hasn't done anything to warrant that sort of respect. People said the same exact thing about Januzaj. There are lots of wonderkids that never fulfilled their potential, and Martial is not yet critical enough to us in terms of his actual performance to be seemed so valuable as to choose him over the manager. If you said the same about Pogba, I might have agreed, but Martial has never shown that superstar level of quality that Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, showed at that age. For all we know, Martial could be the next Ryan Babel. Until he starts to show consistent performances, our fans really should be less engulfed in getting the best out of individual players who hold the keys to their own success, and rather should focus on how to move the team forward.

Jacko21

Young talent is unpredictable. Players might have the talent but not the attitude to make it or injuries might cripple them.
Not denying that, but at some point for Shaw the penny has to drop. Or his career will be a bust.

And by all accounts, Shaw has plenty of attitude. He's not the wallflower that he's often portrayed as being.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
It's about time. To be honest, I would not mind if we sold everybody not named Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea, Sanchez, Bailly, and Matic. Everyone else, should be sellable, regardless of age or price. When Mourinho came, I expected a ruthless clearout of the squad as he'd done in the past, but he gave players opportunities and chances throughout the run. Part of me feels that sentimentality from the Europe League win also contributed to him not selling many players last summer, but now, there is nothing to lose, and the 3 star players that he has kept have continued to show him how mediocre they can be. I legitimately look at our team and think that a lot of these players would not make it at Everton, which is mid-table, so they are relegation fodder or championship players. So if we can finally clear these type of players out and replace them with guys that at minimum give 7/10 performances, not Valencia's 5/10 that people call a 7, then we might start actually looking like the top european team we are.
If almost the entire squad is looking rubbish, including players who are known to be world-class or close to it, then the issue is likely to be something else.

Such as, the coaching. Or the manager failing to achieve buy-in. Or squad disharmony.

I'm sorry but I think the bolded bit in particular is ridiculous.

The Irish Connection

Those incoming players don't fill me with any confidence. Willian I would take but no-one else. Perisic isn't good enough. Varane isn't leaving Real Madrid. Rose is injury prone. Not sure about Fred. I'm not really looking foward to this transfer window. Not really many names to shout about.
Take a look at Fred on YouTube, looks quality!

Mourinho has been far from perfect but this transfer window should get us properly complete. The most bizarre transfer has been Sanchez though. We clearly needed a RW and still do. Why did we sign Sanchez if he definitely wasn't going to play on the right? Mahrez would have been a much better choice. But I'm sure Sanchez will improve.

Anyway, agree with some of the outs: Shaw, Darmian, Blind and maybe fellaini if he's dawdling over another contract. No way to martial.

Ins: LB (rose?), Fred, RB (semedo?) , maybe another cm and RW or promote youth.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
- Mata is better of the lot and is probably the only creative player despite his limitations with speed and physicality (especially when Pogba ans Sanchez are struggling to make an impact)

- Unless, we are going for real quality in replacement, we will still be struggling with creativity.

- We have players in other positions who would need replacements before thinking of throwing Mata out.
The article mentioned we're definitely looking at a winger, I'd assume that'd mean a right-sided player as we've already got enough on the left. Also, Mourinho said that he plans to promote another youth player to the first team next season, best of the bunch at U23 is Tahith Chong who plays on the right. What I envision us doing is selling Mata and putting Chong in as the rotation/back-up to whoever we sign for first team.

I do take on board your points as well though, along with what you've said Mata does have a likeable personality and seems a popular figure. I'd be fine seeing him sold, if like you said, we have a real quality replacement lined up. He's in his thirties now and his physicality is already going down, I doubt we'd be looking at getting rid unless we were sure we were going for someone in his position.

tjb

If almost the entire squad is looking rubbish, including players who are known to be world-class or close to it, then the issue is likely to be something else.

Such as, the coaching. Or the manager failing to achieve buy-in. Or squad disharmony.

I'm sorry but I think the bolded bit in particular is ridiculous.
Unfortunately, they have looked rubbish for 4 years, even before Mourinho. So if the squad looks rubbish, maybe the parts are actually just rubbish.

Varun

Staff
Martial hasn't done anything to warrant that sort of respect. People said the same exact thing about Januzaj. There are lots of wonderkids that never fulfilled their potential, and Martial is not yet critical enough to us in terms of his actual performance to be seemed so valuable as to choose him over the manager. If you said the same about Pogba, I might have agreed, but Martial has never shown that superstar level of quality that Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, showed at that age. For all we know, Martial could be the next Ryan Babel. Until he starts to show consistent performances, our fans really should be less engulfed in getting the best out of individual players who hold the keys to their own success, and rather should focus on how to move the team forward.
I'll ignore the ridiculous comparisons and hyperbole in that post and simply say that a manager who cannot work with a talent like Martial and instead chooses the Perisics of this world isn't the right fit for taking the team forward as you put it.

devilish

Not denying that, but at some point for Shaw the penny has to drop. Or his career will be a bust.

And by all accounts, Shaw has plenty of attitude. He's not the wallflower that he's often portrayed as being.
I don't know the person so I can't really judge. However he's been criticised by both Mourinho and Pocchetino which speaks volumes about his attitude.

1974_Fergie_Time

Zlatan has barely played this year. New RW would be looking to start (same with Sanchez on the left), decreasing the game time of both Rashford and Martial so we're likely to see Martial leave so Rashford's game time isn't affected as much.

Good point.

Isn't Lucas right sided? Martial doesn't play well there. Would be a good option as Kane's backup though.
If Levy is refusing to sell his players to us, we should refuse to sell him our players to him

Witchking

What'd be the issue with selling Mata? There's positives and negatives to his sale but I'd be fine whatever happens to him.
He is only of our rare players who can hold the ball, create, not afraid to keep the ball, pass and move, has the ability to play in number 10, or forced on the right wing and still be useful.

The only thing he lacks is pace and he is intelligent enough to play without it. He's has a lot of bad luck at United and needs the manager to believe in him. He has had shite management at United from Moyes to LvG to Jose.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
More likely to be Bale or someone along those lines than Perisic. Perisic only just signed a new contract at Inter.
They were asking for stupid money for him anyway. Also his form dropped off a cliff for a big part of the season, although he did score this weekend. Isn't Bale a bit risky for the money, age and injury record. He is however the sort of signing Ed likes. Just what we need another player who does not want to leave Real. Surely there is some talented younger player out there. Why can't we go for the Sane type?