Ogden: Mourinho eyes Man United clear-out

Treble

I don't see anything revolutionary in the suggested changes apart form Martial's status. And the proposed new signings are not very exciting either. But I doubt that Ogden knows our transfer plans.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Verratti seems available for around 80-100. Buy him and Fred for the midfield. Sandro as a left back. And a right winger.

250m spent. Then you can pull in money for Darmian, Shaw, Fellaini, and Blind. Leaving a net of around 200m.

That’s what it’s going to take.
Who told you that?

ValenciaRocks

Why do people expect the likes of Martial, Mata and Herrera to be moved on?

Martial: Played fantastic on the left before Sanchez arrived. Can also play as a striker in case Lukaku gets injured or needs a rest.

Mata: If not a useful player coming off the bench, he is one of our better players at controlling the ball and retaining possession. He is consistent and professional. Has to stay.

Herrera: Great energy, can run around from box to box. He has an eye for a pass too and can do both defensive and attacking jobs well.

The players I can see leaving are:
- Carrick
- Ibrahimovic
- Darmian
- Blind
- Shaw
- Fellaini
- Jones (possibly)

tjb

Martial: Played fantastic on the left before Sanchez arrived. Can also play as a striker in case Lukaku gets injured or needs a rest.

Mata: If not a useful player coming off the bench, he is one of our better players at controlling the ball and retaining possession. He is consistent and professional. Has to stay.

Herrera: Great energy, can run around from box to box. He has an eye for a pass too and can do both defensive and attacking jobs well.

The players I can see leaving are:
- Carrick
- Ibrahimovic
- Darmian
- Blind
- Shaw
- Fellaini
- Jones (possibly)
Martial because we can get value for him, out of all the possible parts, he is the one that can attract interest. Mata, because of age, and the fact that he lacks the usual athleticism that a Mourinho team requires. Herrera because his season has been really poor, and he has shown, that although he can play a role, he is not the starting level player were want. Personally I would keep all three, but I can see the value in all three being expendable.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can't see us going for yet another CB when we already have 5 capable ones. Even if one leaves we would still have plenty to choose from. And since there is no CB partnership, but rather CB by committee based on who is in form and healthy, I can't see Jose buying another one.
Would love Maguire at centre back and Sandro left back. Would love Mahrez at right wing and a midfielder like Dier/Fabinho or Weighl from Dortmund. Don’t think our budget will match this obviously and to be honest still think we would be short central midfield as McTominay and Pieria (if called back are big gambles alone to rely on if one of our first 3 got injured).
Would happily forgo another season of Valencia at right back with TFM and Young as cover rather than not replace Shaw again properly.
Because of budget (it’s big not unlimited) we may see a few younger players coming in for 20-£30m ish rather than big names like Teirney instead of Sandro and the likes.
And that’s good when he’s replacing a 30-31 Evra but when he’s going straight into first 11 that’s a big ask af that age. Sandro would be the better option in my book due to experience and performance levels at this stage but this kid Tierny is special.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Carrick and Ibrahimovic are no brainers.

Darmian and Blind have been frozen out, so can assume they're gone.

Fellaini can leave if he's not willing to sign what we've offered.

For the sake of everyone involved, Shaw should leave.

Herrera has been super disappointing this season - you wouldn't blame Jose for sacking him off if replacements (we need enforcement in the centre anyway) can be found.

Pereira looks set on Spain. Plus he's almost certainly given Jose reason to cut ties after deciding to go back there this season.

Given their injury problems, one of Jones or Rojo can be let go. I'd rather see Rojo leave as he's done nothing this season.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Players who will leave: Darmian, Shaw, Ibra, Carrick, Blind.

Pereira doesn't really count as I'd written him off as a United player years ago.

Jones could also go.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They've already done that by way of awarding Mourinho an extension a mere 8 weeks ago. Therefore I'd imagine he has the full backing of everyone at the club to proceed accordingly.
Thats fair, but I worry.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Given their injury problems, one of Jones or Rojo can be let go. I'd rather see Rojo leave as he's done nothing this season.
Except sign a new contract.

He's coming back from a horrible injury. No one was expecting him to be playing this season.

Minimalist

Plot-twist: Mourinho has simply discovered Marie Kondo.

Typical Ogden way off the mark.

tjb

I see both Smalling and Jones leaving. Darmian, Blind, Fellaini, Herrera, Carrick, Ibrahimovic, Shaw, and maybe Martial. With the current market we should be able to get decent fees for both Smalling and Jones from lower table clubs. Darmian is weirdly an attraction in Italy. Shaw seems to still garner interest. We can get something from Blind as he is intelligent. Plus I can see us selling Martial because he is the one expendable player that can earn us 70m+.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
In anycase I feel like we have spent an awful lot of money, and so Jose really needs to be sure he knows what he is doing this summer.
Another season of a Pogba like signing not performing to the level expected or another need for a mass clear out after this summer, has to indicate that Jose just isn't doing his job well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They've already done that by way of awarding Mourinho an extension a mere 8 weeks ago. Therefore I'd imagine he has the full backing of everyone at the club to proceed accordingly.
This seems pretty spot on, he's been given the full backing to mould the club in his vision which is why I think he's being allowed to sell who he wants and buy who he wants, Woodward didn't get him everyone he wanted last summer and I think Mourinho made a point to him about it not so long back. Woodward is a quick learner and I have no doubt he'll pay any price for anyone Mourinho wants.

Despite what a lot of us on here may think, from the club's perspective this season is a big step forward in the league and it'd be the first time we get CL football comfortably instead of having to get it through EL or 4th place. We have the potential of a cup, while scoring more and conceding less than last season, from where they're standing it looks like a big improvement over the last few years.

We're not going to see Mourinho gone unless there's an apocalyptic failure next season, we've put a lot of faith in his judgement and the board think he's the man to take the team forward.

Varun

Staff
You talk of him like he's some random Red Cafe moaner. He's the manager and its his view that will be implemented at the club. There's no doubt that if he sells Tony that it will be because he wants another player to replace him, who he feels would do a better job at specially what he wants out of the position.
You misunderstood. I say moaning as in he's moaning the squad isn't good enough so he won't sanction his sale to fund a purchase. He'll ask us to stump the cash and get the new guy in while keeping martial. Only scenario where he leaves us is if Jose doesn't rate him which brings me to my original point, I'd rather see him leave if he cannot work with players like martial.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don't think the other two will be moved on as long as they're happy with their squad role, but if we are after another right winger then Martial could make way so Rashford doesn't feel he needs to move to get more games. Martial is the one player we could get decent money for.

Varun

Staff
You talk of him like he's some random Red Cafe moaner. He's the manager and its his view that will be implemented at the club. There's no doubt that if he sells Tony that it will be because he wants another player to replace him, who he feels would do a better job at specially what he wants out of the position.
You misunderstood. I say moaning as in he's moaning the squad isn't good enough so he won't sanction his sale to fund a purchase. He'll ask us to stump the cash and get the new guy in while keeping martial. Only scenario where he leaves us is if Jose doesn't rate him which brings me to my original point, I'd rather see him leave if he cannot work with players like martial.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Martial hasn't done anything to warrant that sort of respect. People said the same exact thing about Januzaj. There are lots of wonderkids that never fulfilled their potential, and Martial is not yet critical enough to us in terms of his actual performance to be seemed so valuable as to choose him over the manager. If you said the same about Pogba, I might have agreed, but Martial has never shown that superstar level of quality that Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, showed at that age. For all we know, Martial could be the next Ryan Babel. Until he starts to show consistent performances, our fans really should be less engulfed in getting the best out of individual players who hold the keys to their own success, and rather should focus on how to move the team forward.
And what has Pogba done for us to gain your respect other than be signed by Jose? He's been pathetic in recent times. Martial has been better this season. No chance were selling him. He's a phenomenal talent. Anyone with a pair of working eyes can see that.

Also like how Sanchez is in your untouchable list having done feck all for us.

ValenciaRocks

Are people playing to much Fifa that they actually think getting rid of so many decent players in one window makes sense so that we can afford to pursue foreign "big name players"

I agree that we need to move on 5/6 players but some people are quoting 10/11 players. Absurd

tjb

And what has Pogba done for us to gain your respect other than be signed by Jose? He's been pathetic in recent times. Martial has been better this season. No chance were selling him. He's a phenomenal talent. Anyone with a pair of working eyes can see that.

Also like how Sanchez is in your untouchable list having done feck all for us.
Pogba was our star man for much of last season and half of this. A month of bad performances does not change that. Martial has in no way been better than Pogba this season. Pogba was our key player and star, and was one of the few players that have consistently stood to be counted until recently. Pogba is by far our most talented player, and he has been our star for two years. They cannot be compared.

amolbhatia50k

Pogba was our star man for much of last season and half of this. A month of bad performances does not change that. Martial has in no way been better than Pogba this season. Pogba was our key player and star, and was one of the few players that have consistently stood to be counted until recently. Pogba is by far our most talented player, and he has been our star for two years. They cannot be compared.
:lol: Sure he was. He was out performed by Ander Herrera last season and has been a completely joke the last month or so. He's also been terrible in most really big/tight games. Martial has definitely been better this season. He was one of the most productive players this season till he got shifted from the left. And that too while being rotated a lot of the time.

Your "list" shows that you're only interested in big names really. Or Jose signings.

Devil may care

Well we know Ibra and Carrick are going and it would come as no surprise for Shaw, Darmian, Blind and Pereira to be sold, so there's 6 out straight away without any controversy. The idea that he's still trying to keep Fellaini is vomit inducing but hardly a surprise.

I'd hate to lose Martial before seeing Mourinho replaced with a more attacking manager who can handle players with different tempremants than steely pro, but it wouldn't surprise me if he went so Mourinho can bring in another 30 year old grafter out wide that he doesn't have to coach.

The most worrying aspect of the article if there is any truth in it is the supposed targets, a questionable CM, a mediocre winger that plays on the left like all of our others, a mediocre LB who's been awful this season and an injury prone CB.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Squad clear-outs :drool::drool:

The past two in the last three years proved that simply gutting a squad and signing good players who continue to underperform wasn't the solution... But this one will definitely work, guys! :drool::drool:

tjb

:lol: Sure he was. He was out performed by Ander Herrera last season and has been a completely joke the last month or so. He's also been terrible in most really big/tight games. Martial has definitely been better this season. He was one of the most productive players this season till he got shifted from the left. And that too while being rotated a lot of the time.

Your "list" shows that you're only interested in big names really. Or Jose signings.
He was never outperformed be Ander Herrera. People just expected far more from Pogba than they did Herrera. Herrera could go missing for 10 games, have a big performance against Chelsea and it would be deemed as perfect. Pogba on the other hand will have a poor game, and that game will be analyzed for 6 months. Even this season, Pogba only started playing badly after the Tottenham game which occured in early February. Since then he has been injured, and has really played in about 5 games since then, one of which he performed well at Chelsea. Yet all we hear about is how bad the season is going for him. That's the difference. Pogba is a star that gets that type of unwarranted attention. While Martial can hide behind pundits asking for Rashford to start.

Minimalist

Perisic ship has sailed. He can feck off.

Potential outs: Ibra, Carrick, Blind, Shaw, Darmian, Fellaini.
Damn straight! Only sexy footballers from now on.

The past two in the last three years proved that simply gutting a squad and signing good players who continue to underperform wasn't the solution... But this one will definitely work, guys! :drool::drool:
I feel ya! Needs to get back to selling genuinely shite players like Danny Welbeck.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The first article comes from L’equipe
They are no better. Just today they have an article about his interview to GDS where he says that the rumors regarding Raiola are false and that he told PSG that he was going nowhere. Now for me the main problem is the fee, it's a stupid one, they are not selling him for less than someone like Pogba.

tjb

We only truly had one clear out, well one large two year stream of clearouts done by Van Gaal. City also had a clearout, and Mourinho has proven to be quality at clearouts at every team he has been on ( I'm not sure this is a good thing)/

Devil may care

It can only be a matter of time before we get a good old war chest article, and then the bid preperation begins!

amolbhatia50k

P
He was never outperformed be Ander Herrera. People just expected far more from Pogba than they did Herrera. Herrera could go missing for 10 games, have a big performance against Chelsea and it would be deemed as perfect. Pogba on the other hand will have a poor game, and that game will be analyzed for 6 months. Even this season, Pogba only started playing badly after the Tottenham game which occured in early February. Since then he has been injured, and has really played in about 5 games since then, one of which he performed well at Chelsea. Yet all we hear about is how bad the season is going for him. That's the difference. Pogba is a star that gets that type of unwarranted attention. While Martial can hide behind pundits asking for Rashford to start.
Oh yeah, the world is against poor Paul Pogba. The fans who voted Herrera as our POTS had an agenda against him. Jose who drops him because he performs like a 17 year old lost kid has an agenda against him. What an unfair world this is.

Back in reality, Pogba has been disappointing for us and many players have regularly out performed him.

Personally I love watching the guy. He and Martial are the most enjoyable footballers at this club. But I'm not going to rewrite reality just because I find him terrific to watch. FWIW I wouldn't get rid of Pogba. He's one of our most talented. But I wouldn't get rid of Martial either. The level patience we afford to bright young talents these days pathetic. We want them all to be complete at the age of 22 when our 25/29 year old 'star players' also seemingly aren't.

Kapardin

I even have doubts we will let 6 or 7 go with this being a world cup year. Going to be an annoying summer where every player interviewed regarding a potential transfer will trot out the mandatory line, "I am focused on my national team and the world cup" bar Chileans and Italians (don't care about the Dutch, none of them are good at the moment).

Jev

I would be livid if he sold Martial. He'd be a world-beater at any top club with a functioning attack.

Coops73

I love a good clear out...especially after 10 pints and a curry.