Old Trafford quadrants.

Spoony

The People's President
Why are they a mess? I can only think of two reasons:

1. The second tier(Goal ends and North stand second tiers) have different gradients.

2. Not enough space between the K Stand/Strettie and second tier North Stand.

Now, if it's the first that doesn't explain why the K Stand/Strettie joins perfectly with the North Stand below the concrete wall.(quadrant exec seating area)

Weird.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I believe it has something to do with them fecking up the Stretty/K Stand gradients during the 00-01 expansion.

Spoony

The People's President
I believe it has something to do with them fecking up the Stretty/K Stand gradiants during the 00-01 expansion.
Yeah but why is the front part of the quads perfectly matched up?? if they gradients are different, it's because the club was shortsighted ie didn't consider future expansions. Unlike the original bowl.

Spoony

The People's President
1. Gradients.
2. Roof and viewing angles.
3. Getting as many seats in a possible when considering 1 & 2.
The why does the bottom part match up perfectly, Weastey?

Maybe it has something to do with the goal ends having bigger second tiers than the North Stand second.

WeasteDevil

The why does the bottom part match up perfectly, Weastey?

Maybe it has something to do with the goal ends having bigger second tiers than the North Stand second.
I don't understand what you mean with the bottom part matching up perfectly? The two tiers North/Stret are the same height?

Yes, they have different size second tiers.

ralphie88

Yeah but why is the front part of the quads perfectly matched up?? if they gradients are different, it's because the club was shortsighted ie didn't consider future expansions. Unlike the original bowl.
The south stand doesn't match up with the scoreboard end.

Spoony

The People's President
The south stand doesn't match up with the scoreboard end.
I know but that was the original stand main stand. Well it was rebuilt after the war. The when they re built North Stand/United Road they had a vision.

I don't understand what you mean with the bottom part matching up perfectly? The two tiers North/Stret are the same height?

Yes, they have different size second tiers.
Look at the exec seating area Weaste, if it wasn't for the wall that divides the quads from the other stands it'd be seamless ie have same height and gradient.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/400150071_94b083d8da_b.jpg

WeasteDevil

I've never actually sat in the thing, so I can't say, but if the two tiers had the same gradient, why do they mess around with it at the lower level where the view is not a problem? It's up and down like a whore's knickers. I can understand the higher parts of it.

Spoony

The People's President
I've never actually sat in the thing, so I can't say, but if the two tiers had the same gradient, why do they mess around with it at the lower level where the view is not a problem? It's up and down like a whore's knickers. I can understand the higher parts of it.
Why? That's part that doesn't make sense to me.(behind the concrete wall?)

WeasteDevil

Why? That's part that doesn't make sense to me.(behind the concrete wall?)
I mean, if the gradients were the same, that up and down concrete wall and seating would not be there, the lower half of the quadrant would be uniform. When I said that I understand the higher parts of it, I mean that it has to change height, gradient difference or not.

Spoony

The People's President
I mean, if the gradients were the same, that up and down concrete wall and seating would not be there, the lower half of the quadrant would be uniform. When I said that I understand the higher parts of it, I mean that it has to change height, gradient difference or not.
Yes, but that would only make sense if the lowers parts actually do change gradient after curving round.

George the Giraffe

I have to say, it's things like this that I love about OT. It's not a "perfect" satdium, and shows the development over time. It's got a great jistory and that is reflected in the way it is now. It shows the history of the stadium which is amazing for something of its size.

Boothy

feck off you two :lol:

Didn't see the word "new".

I can't think of many new stadiuns I've been to...

Emirates is allright. Wembleys a shit hole

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I prefer the Bernabeu to Camp Nou anyway, not as impressive size wise but much more character. I also like that, while still forming a complete bowl, it's not entirely symmetrical the whole way round.

Spoony

The People's President
The San Siro is the most impressive and imposing big stadium you will ever go to personally I prefere Craven Cottage though. Bags of character that place.

I went to Camp Nou last summer and it was big but looks a right shit hole.

I'm sure on a matchday it's very impressive.
Archibald Leitch designed Main Stand still looks fantastic.

As for character, sometimes it gets confused for ugly.

WeasteDevil

Is the North Stand higher than the tallest side of the Camp Nou?
Should I get my tape measure out?

Probably, from the outside, yes, but the pitch at Camp Nou is sunk below ground level, so from the inside, probably not.

EDIT: A quick search (how accurate this info is I don't know) tells me that Camp Nou from the outside is 48m in height, and the North Stand at OT 60m.

Sir A1ex

Found the old thread discussing this but my illustration has long since disappeared, so I've stuck it back up on Imageshack:

Thie idea is that it shows how the North stand having a shallower gradient than the ends leads to the need for the "walls" in the quadrants...

...if you think I'd be better off sticking to badly photoshopped pics of Ralphie as Pete Boyle with Mick Hucknall's hair and Dame Edna's glasses, just say.

WeasteDevil

If they ever do the South stand, I feel that it would only be two tiers, and match the Stret and Score perfectly (the corners at the top would dip in the middle for the view), just leaving us with that quirkiness on the North corners, which is a good thing I think.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I quite like the quads though as a bit of a purist I find it hard to explain why. One of them things I guess. Never sat in them mind. All this talk of gradients got me curious; surely Old Trafford's technical specs must be floating about the inter-web super highway somewhere? Does anyone know how the steepness of OT's stands measure up to stand inclination of other similarly sized stadia?