Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

RopersReturn

Was thinking about if it would be better to simply renovate OT.
After seeing that’ll cost over £100m just to rebuild a stand, the best course would be to start from scratch and build a new stadium similar to the way Spurs have operated. Plus we could build our new training ground on the site where OT currently sits. Win Win.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You guys should go for a new stadium rather than half-measures and patch-ups of the current one. In the longer-run it's the better decision.

Hugely expensive of course, but once it's done it would likely boost your income significantly each year for decades and decades to come.

sillwuka

Agreed about building a brand new stadium although I'm not sure where we would play for a one off season.

If you've been to OT you'll realise how bad the facilities are and how cramped the legroom is.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Why does it have to be bland? That's such a lame argument. We obviously have more funds than a Bolton or Middlesbrough and there's no reason we can't build something cool.

Look at these projects below.

Stadium in China.

New proposed Roma stadium.

New Mestalla.

That one is China looks like a meringue that's been kept in the oven for too long. The Roma one is amazing though.

Dan_F

The one thing I couldn’t get my head around at the Nou Camp is how easy it was to get a drink and go for a piss. The section I was in had 3 urinals and 3 cubicals and there was no queue.

Maybe because people hadn’t been drinking the whole day before the game I guess. Just found it a bizarre experience compared to OT and basically any other ground I’ve been to ever.

Danny

Agreed about building a brand new stadium although I'm not sure where we would play for a one off season.

If you've been to OT you'll realise how bad the facilities are and how cramped the legroom is.
Went to the legends game at the weekend in a different part of the stadium that I usually sit and, I kid you not, there was literally zero leg room. It was ridiculous. I’m only 6ft and it was actually painful.
Was N40 where they’ve built the standing rails.

choccy77

After seeing that’ll cost over £100m just to rebuild a stand, the best course would be to start from scratch and build a new stadium similar to the way Spurs have operated. Plus we could build our new training ground on the site where OT currently sits. Win Win.
£100m vs £1,6billion for a new stadium

choccy77

The one thing I couldn’t get my head around at the Nou Camp is how easy it was to get a drink and go for a piss. The section I was in had 3 urinals and 3 cubicals and there was no queue.

Maybe because people hadn’t been drinking the whole day before the game I guess. Just found it a bizarre experience compared to OT and basically any other ground I’ve been to ever.
It's because as you are peeing away, the urine is filling up the glass behind the wall.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Surely with OT, one could simultaneously gut the entire structure and improve leg-room and corporate facilities, and also build up the south stand to offset the reduction in capacity elsewhere, and still end up with a stadium with better legroom, more modern facilities and an increased capacity. Slap a new roof on it, with some screens built in, and a new expanded facade to the stadium for a hospitality "village", and you'd have a stadium to rival anywhere in the world. More likely to cost 500M vs 1bn for a brand new stadium.

largelyworried

Nowhere near enough room for that.

decorativeed

Surely with OT, one could simultaneously gut the entire structure and improve leg-room and corporate facilities, and also build up the south stand to offset the reduction in capacity elsewhere, and still end up with a stadium with better legroom, more modern facilities and an increased capacity. Slap a new roof on it, with some screens built in, and a new expanded facade to the stadium for a hospitality "village", and you'd have a stadium to rival anywhere in the world. More likely to cost 500M vs 1bn for a brand new stadium.
It's built to a very old standard of inches per supporter. That legroom is built into the concrete structure, and I don't know how you could possibly remedy that without demolishing and starting again.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's built to a very old standard of inches per supporter. That legroom is built into the concrete structure, and I don't know how you could possibly remedy that without demolishing and starting again.
I am probably wrong, but I swear I read somewhere that the existing concrete base could be levelled off and the supporting steps for the seats could be repoured to a larger specification, essentially just maintaining the supporting super structure. But I am probably talking bollocks. And guess tbh, if the club renovate, they won't increase legroom. They'll just expand the south stand, maybe put a new roof and screens, and a new facade. If they were to do the rest, they'd likely build a new one, which seems highly unlikely to me.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

R'hllor

If they rebuild, just make something with future in mind, where you can go with a time and upgrade it with ez one day.

Toblerone92

The experience at stadiums on the continent is, well, just generally more continental. You can drink and smoke in a lot of them (with or without permission of course, but enforcement tends to be minimal in my experience). We just can't be trusted in this country and frankly I can see why. The UK must have some of the most atrocious fans in Europe and our culture around drinking in general just means it would be utter chaos if permitted on the terraces here, even when it is only a minority responsible. Can you imagine the state of the recent pitch invasions multiplied by several orders of magnitude?

largelyworried

There is plenty. Here's a map I made of the land the club owned in 2011. I believe they've added to it since.

Carrington is currently over 100 acres large and contains 12 football pitches of various sizes, a large sports centre containing multiple swimming pools, an office block and a helipad. That would not fit in that space.

Last edited:

decorativeed

Carrington is currently over 100 acres large and contains 12 football pitches of various sizes, a large sports centre containing multiple swimming pools, an office block and a helipad. That would not fit in that space.
Apologies, I thought they meant a second mini-stadium for training/reserves. I've been to Carrington and yeah, it's pretty vast, and something of that size wouldn't fit into that plot.

TheMod

I would say renevote because modern health and safety policy would mean fans would be further away from the pitch if we rebuilt as is the case for Emirates, Etihad and Spurs stadium.

Fans being so close to the pitch is core to what makes Old Trafford's atmosphere so great.

choccy77

There is plenty. Here's a map I made of the land the club owned in 2011. I believe they've added to it since.

When you see this and wonder why the hell OT was built on the narrowest part ... however, 100+ years ago, it was probably the only available land.

sparx99

Just improve acoustics of OT and seating with toilets while adding another stand.
That requires the entire roof to be removed and opened up to the other stands. I’m not sure it’s possible because the cantilevers are important to the overall structure.

AFC NimbleThumb

There’s a modern stadium across the city that’s been left vacant for a decade or so. Another team play behind closed doors there, or at least that’s how it looks.

Maticmaker

Lots of good ideas, but can anyone see the Glazers lashing out on a new ground, or even an updated one?
Keeping OT on the right side of the regulations/safety and that's it, as far as they are concerned.

It's the one thing that keeps my spirits up, is that the Glazers will get out... before they have to build something new, because there is no profit in it.

As we have seen around the world, rectangular shaped stadiums are giving way to more oval shaped structures, thus enabling clear sight-lines to the pitch from all around the stadium. For a new modern stadium to be built from scratch its in the wrong place, hemmed in by a canal on one side and a railway line on the other, limits all sorts of issues. For a start access and egress (in particular traffic matters) from the ground at present is far from satisfactory and for night matches in particular the access/egress issues at times bring grid-lock to local traffic, even with the re-routing done under police authority.

Unfortunately for those fans who do/can attend home matches, the ability of the club to attract people into OT is not a problem and until it does become a problem neither the present owners, nor I suspect any potential new owners will be considering anything other than a minimalist approach to keeping the 'Theatre of Dreams' going.

decorativeed

When you see this and wonder why the hell OT was built on the narrowest part ... however, 100+ years ago, it was probably the only available land.
Looks like the land around it was pretty much undeveloped when they started building OT, according to this map. The northern part of Warwick Road (now Sir Matt Busby Way) hadn't even been built by 1908. Maybe they just bought a plot they presumed was big enough for what they needed. At the time it was built, it was one of the biggest football grounds in the country, it not the biggest.

Edit: This map from 1922 may suggest that the club owned a bit more land around the ground, within a boundary marked 343. If they'd have just centered the ground a little to the north within that boundary, it'd have caused fewer problems.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I would say renevote because modern health and safety policy would mean fans would be further away from the pitch if we rebuilt as is the case for Emirates, Etihad and Spurs stadium.

Fans being so close to the pitch is core to what makes Old Trafford's atmosphere so great.
At the Spurs' stadium the furthest distance to the pitch is nearly 8m and almost 5m at the closest.

For comparison the furthest distance at the Emirates is 13.8m. I don't know about the Etihad.

What are the equivalent stats for Old Trafford?

choccy77

Looks like the land around it was pretty much undeveloped when they started building OT, according to this map. The northern part of Warwick Road (now Sir Matt Busby Way) hadn't even been built by 1908. Maybe they just bought a plot they presumed was big enough for what they needed. At the time it was built, it was one of the biggest football grounds in the country, it not the biggest.

Edit: This map from 1922 may suggest that the club owned a bit more land around the ground, within a boundary marked 343. If they'd have just centered the ground a little to the north within that boundary, it'd have caused fewer problems.

Yeah, it's sooooooo frustrating that it's blited us for so long, but I suspect, the original owners thought having the station go strait to the ground was a big deal back then.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Wembley of course.

It can be a hassle having to drive up to Manchester.

someone will bite