Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

RopersReturn

Keeping the iconic neon ‘Manchester United’ sign, but tear it down and build a new stadium similar to the ‘Birds Nest’. This would also include top facilities, bars & restaurants plus a state of the art PA system & huge LED rig for pre match entertainment music & light shows.

RedIan

I think old trafford is a fantastic looking stadium, mish mash my arse. We cant loose that history by tearing it down.
renovate update where necessary but its hardly crumbling as the press report.

CallyRed

I think the lack of ground share options is a block to renovating OT, and makes me think a new site would be the most likely option.
Atleast we would be able to play at OT until the new stadium is built.

I'd be surprised if City would be up for a ground share but also could you imagine going there 19+ times a season. fecking hell.

Gordon Godot

I think old trafford is a fantastic looking stadium, mish mash my arse. We cant loose that history by tearing it down.
renovate update where necessary but its hardly crumbling as the press report.
You cant significantly expand capacity, add far more corporate boxes or provide much better catering for ordinary fans in the current stadium footprint. So it depends on what you want. A poor value and limited refit that will rapidly date or a truly modern stadium. Its a fact that there are various phases of expansion within the current ground, whether you like it or not

The_Order

Knock it down, build something new.

It's over 100 years old.

Time for change, time for a rebirth, a new stadium doesn't mean VAR rules out tiur history and legacy.

Once we start winning and building new memories in New Trafford, die hard NYMBY traditionalists will come around eventually.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We were the ones who pushed the FA to enter the European cup, the first who made a player a superstar, one of the first to open a supporters club outside of the UK, the first team who believed that business and football can mix and the first team in a top league to win the treble. Our history is all about breaking norms and pissing on tradition. Thus I believe that if we have the money then let us knock OT down and build something revolutionary and new. Innovation is part of our DNA.

red thru&thru

As much as it pains me to say it. Knock it down & build a new one. Spurs have best stadium in the country & Everton’s new stadium looks great too. We are getting lost & left behind.
Real Madrid's looks really good. But I suppose they have the luxury of having their own smaller stadium to play in, so can afford to wait for their refurb to be done.

I want our stadium to be literally the best in the world, so maybe restarting again maybe the answer. But beforehand, we should build a smaller stadium for the youth/ladies team, so then we can play their, whilst work on OT is being done.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the lack of ground share options is a block to renovating OT, and makes me think a new site would be the most likely option.
Atleast we would be able to play at OT until the new stadium is built.

I'd be surprised if City would be up for a ground share but also could you imagine going there 19+ times a season. fecking hell.
would it not be worth roughly 38 hours of your life to get a new stadium?

even a 2 year project - 76 hours sitting in that blue dump, cone on it’s not that much

Telsim

This club used to be cutting edge. Now it's stuck forever in the past, decrepit grounds and all. Sometimes you have to destroy something first to build it anew. Soul comes from the fans, not from concrete and rebar. Tear it down. Failing that, keep this one and build a whole new stadium and move there.

To do that however the owners need to be rich. Oil rich.

Skills

Snitch
Reclining seats and cupholders is what I want. Even if we have to cut the capacity down by a half

stevoc

This club used to be cutting edge. Now it's stuck forever in the past, decrepit grounds and all. Sometimes you have to destroy something first to build it anew. Soul comes from the fans, not from concrete and rebar. Tear it down. Failing that, keep this one and build a whole new stadium and move there.

To do that however the owners need to be rich. Oil rich.
When was this cutting edge time that we just built new stadiums as opposed to renovating the one we already had?

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
I just want the simple things in life, like getting a beer at half-time without missing 10 minutes of the game and having a piss without dying from smoke inhalation!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Trouble with OT it is built for when the average height of men and women was much smaller. It is not unusual for even 15 year olds to be 6 ft. The leg room has not moved with the times nevermind anything else.

Godfather

Let’s be realistic though, the only buyers likely to sanction a full rebuild rather than repairs is an oil nation
Most likely. Which is why I wouldn't mind Dubai. They are probably the best of a bad bunch. And they (hopefully) wouldn't be tight arsed.

dove

The thing is that a lot of the things that make a stadium iconic would need to be completely scrapped and redone completely differently now, such as the roof and basically entire exterior as currently only the east stand looks somewhat fine. Any major refurb would probably make a stadium hardly recognisable compared to now so honestly I am torn on this one. On one hand you have a massive massive history and a lot of iconic moments at OT, on the other hand it's well overdue a big change and some of the things cannot even be fixed with a refurb, like a leg room or just a general planning that was never meant for holding over 70k people. New one probably makes more sense if we had the money.

Spoony

The People's President
Trouble with OT it is built for when the average height of men and women was much smaller. It is not unusual for even 15 year olds to be 6 ft. The leg room has not moved with the times nevermind anything else.

I don't think average height has changed a great deal. Besides most of extensions were done in the late 90s and 00s. But yeah it's bloody cramped.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Let’s be realistic though, the only buyers likely to sanction a full rebuild rather than repairs is an oil nation
If a tech company does buy us I think it’ll be because they want to build a new stadium around AR/VR. Selling digital season tickets worldwide could make hundreds of millions. An entirely new viewing experience monetising the huge global fanbase we have.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't think average height has changed a great deal. Besides most of extensions were done in the late 90s and 00s. But yeah it's bloody cramped.
All they did was cram as many people as they could without thinking of the fans comfort and cramped leg room could be a issue for some.

TrueRed79

Plenty of land around OT. Can build a new one while continuing to play in existing ground.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Sometimes you have to destroy something first to build it anew. Soul comes from the fans, not from concrete and rebar.
I get what you're saying but also disagree. You only have to compare old and new architecture to see how much soul is missing these days.
Similarly most new stadiums look like glorified convention centres from the outside and a new build train station inside (as in the the walkways).

Personally I'd be happy with a new stadium but one that isn't trying to look ultra modern, because they quicky veer in to soullessness. Something that looks like an updated version of OT from the outside, but with the space and function of a new stadium on the inside, and obviously all stands to be the same height.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Plenty of land around OT. Can build a new one while continuing to play in existing ground.
This is exactly what should happen.

Old Trafford was a great ground and there are bits of it that should be retained in any new ground e.g., the memorial clock. The stadium has had its time though.

People saying we shouldn't move need to be honest. The ground was virtually rebuilt from the bottom up during the 1990s. To a large extent its a different stadium to the one people went to before that, even if its on the same site.

Building a new ground on the site of the car park and moving to it is not betraying our heritage. Its not like anyone is saying we should move away from the area.

CallyRed

would it not be worth roughly 38 hours of your life to get a new stadium?

even a 2 year project - 76 hours sitting in that blue dump, cone on it’s not that much
Oh for sure. Short term pain, long term gain and all that. I just don't think City would allow it. I remember reading moving to Wembley for a couple of seasons would also be an option.

Unless we do what Liverpool are doing and just rebuild stand by stand.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If a tech company does buy us I think it’ll be because they want to build a new stadium around AR/VR. Selling digital season tickets worldwide could make hundreds of millions. An entirely new viewing experience monetising the huge global fanbase we have.
Imagine being able to walk into a virtual OT during a match day and watch a live match on VR. It’d be incredible

Lastwolf

The thing is that a lot of the things that make a stadium iconic would need to be completely scrapped and redone completely differently now, such as the roof and basically entire exterior as currently only the east stand looks somewhat fine. Any major refurb would probably make a stadium hardly recognisable compared to now so honestly I am torn on this one. On one hand you have a massive massive history and a lot of iconic moments at OT, on the other hand it's well overdue a big change and some of the things cannot even be fixed with a refurb, like a leg room or just a general planning that was never meant for holding over 70k people. New one probably makes more sense if we had the money.
I mean the roof has changed multiple times, the facade we see now is only really from 2005

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was the average height of men 5ft 4 back then?