Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

wolvored

Do a spurs and build a new stadium to the west of it where there is more room and away from railway. Keep ot till the new stadium is completed then rebuild to a 30/40000 stadium for women and youth teams to play.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Old Trafford is iconic. Absolutely iconic. But so was Wembley. We have to move with the times and if we can afford a brand state of the art stadium, then that’s what we should be doing.

van Nistelrooy

This is what I believe we should do if finances are not a concern.

Brand new stadium built on the land we own behind Old Trafford. Once complete, rebuild a mini-Old Trafford (30,000) in its footprint for the U21s and women's teams to play at.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Old Trafford is iconic. Absolutely iconic. But so was Wembley. We have to move with the times and if we can afford a brand state of the art stadium, then that’s what we should be doing.
Absolutely, I am of the same opinion. Old Trafford looks tired and out of date. United need a state of the art stadium. Sure it’s a shame that iconic stadiums get replaced but as you’ve already said, we need to move with the times. A brand new 90,000 seater.

Dan_F

I’ve always been pretty against it, but I have to admit that the general match day experience I’ve had at other new stadiums is much better, although they’ve obviously been one offs. Old Trafford for me is very much a case of getting in as late as possible and leaving straight away. I don’t think that would be improved much unless they can add more toilets. And self pour beer machines, although I doubt that would happen at a football ground :lol:

Sorting out the acoustics and getting a better stadium atmosphere would be the biggest plus point for me.

decorativeed

We were the ones who pushed the FA to enter the European cup, the first who made a player a superstar, one of the first to open a supporters club outside of the UK, the first team who believed that business and football can mix and the first team in a top league to win the treble. Our history is all about breaking norms and pissing on tradition. Thus I believe that if we have the money then let us knock OT down and build something revolutionary and new. Innovation is part of our DNA.
That isn't actually true. The FA encouraged us to enter. It was the Football League who tried to stop us. Agree with the rest though.

BuzzKillington

The stadium has structural issues that can’t be resolved with a lick of paint and a new facade. The leg room is atrocious, if you’re 6ft or taller it’s an uncomfortable 90 minutes. The concourses aren’t well laid out either.

I’m a traditionalist and would love to keep the stadium as I’ve got some great memories from going, but the inescable truth is it needs rebuilding unfortunately. I would like them to build it on the same site though, so would prefer a ground share. City preferably, but Bolton might also suffice if it can be done in a season. Or alternatively if they can build the new one on some of the spare land they have around the ground.

Leg-End

Totally agree with this.

The stadium has structural issues that can’t be resolved with a lick of paint and a new facade. The leg room is atrocious, if you’re 6ft or taller it’s an uncomfortable 90 minutes. The concourses aren’t well laid out either.

I’m a traditionalist and would love to keep the stadium as I’ve got some great memories from going, but the inescable truth is it needs rebuilding unfortunately. I would like them to build it on the same site though, so would prefer a ground share. City preferably, but Bolton might also suffice if it can be done in a season. Or alternatively if they can build the new one on some of the spare land they have around the ground.
A 28,000 seater stadium for United, hahha.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Where would we play if we re build?
When you say rebuild are you meaning a new build, as in totally new stadium?

Depends what the plan is.

If they use the space in the current site, could they start building up say 3/4 of the stadium there while we get on with playing in the current stadium?
And then do the remaining part over a summer? Or is that grossly unrealistic? Probably!

decorativeed

I'm under 6 foot and my knees still end up jammed into the seat in front of me. I agree - no amount of tinkering will fix that. Neither will the fix the parts of the ground where you can't see the corner flags nearest the SAF stand.

Cole9

The leg room is atrocious, if you’re 6ft or taller it’s an uncomfortable 90 minutes.
This has always been a problem for me. Very uncomfortable and it's a relief when you get to stand up.

As much as I'd love to keep the current stadium, it's probably not that realistic.

decorativeed

I'd only want a new stadium if it was on the same site.
The site is part of the problem though. At the very least it would need to move 50m or so north west. The very limited space between the railway track and canal that OT is wedged into is what's preventing further expansion.

FCAES_7

I voted to renovate, but as I only been to Old Trafford like 4 times in 2008 - 2010, and after reading the comments and insight from supporters who attend games more often and live near the stadium, I'm on board with a new stadium that reflects our traditions!! We are very good at tying our past with the future, and ITS time to create new heritage

hp88

We own enough land around the stadium to complete a new build, we could carry on playing at Old Trafford as well but I guess that depends on H&S.

goalscholes

No one sensible would develop the current stadium, when we have so much space next to the stadium. Way too much work, disruption and impact on current and future cash flow.

They'll build a new stadium next door and keep OT until it is built. They'll probably use some of the architecture of the old stadium in the new design. Capacity might go up a bit, but I'm sure there will be a whole load more executive boxes, which is where the real money is made.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Possibly a deal could be struck with City to use the Etihad. It will be nice for them to see it full for once.
Absolutely :lol: Can’t imagine us playing at that trash though. Although there grounds a lot easier to get to.

ExecutionerWasp001

Possibly a deal could be struck with City to use the Etihad. It will be nice for them to see it full for once.
Wouldn't be averse to this. We already hold the record attendance for a League game at the old Maine Rd, when we shared the ground after ours was bombed. Would be nice to get the record at their new ground too. They'd never allow it though. To save face they'd likely bung the council a few million & get them to tell us it's unfeasible on H&S grounds or some other BS.

Infra-red

The most rational decision would be to build a new stadium on the land adjacent to Old Trafford, demolishing Old Trafford only once the new stadium is complete (continuing to play home games there in the interim). Then, build a second much smaller stadium on the current Old Trafford site for the youth side (perhaps even incorporating existing elements from the current OT stadium).

JB7

Oh for sure. Short term pain, long term gain and all that. I just don't think City would allow it. I remember reading moving to Wembley for a couple of seasons would also be an option.

Unless we do what Liverpool are doing and just rebuild stand by stand.
United are not going to play home matches 200 miles away at Wembley that would be completely ridiculous.

Didn’t Madrid manage to make do with their reserve stadium of a similar size for a season? It’s only short term, I’m not suggesting we move to the Reebok permanently.
Yeah but they literally couldn't have crowds, it was the covid season.

Charlie Roberts

We should just build a new stadium next to the existing one, then if possible, reduce Old Trafford capacity, so it goes back to what it was like before expansion and let the women’s team play there. That way we get all the benefits of a new stadium while keeping part of our history.

Hal9000

I think it's no coincidence that Glazer's hired master planners to look at options around the stadium and building a new one, then almost a year later they want to sell.

Gazza

I guess I'm really in the minority here, but it surprises me how many would want to leave OT for a new stadium. I don't see how a new stadium captures any of my interest or excitement compared to Old Trafford, so it would just be a harbinger of me losing even more interest in football.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Said it before, I’d like to see it redone but keeping the front facade, leading into a brand new stadium.
Along those lines, something like the Lucas Oil Stadium could be great.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I guess I'm really in the minority here, but it surprises me how many would want to leave OT for a new stadium. I don't see how a new stadium captures any of my interest or excitement compared to Old Trafford, so it would just be a harbinger of me losing even more interest in football.
It seems a bit fanciful that an owner is going to cruise in, spend 6-8billion just to buy the club, then pump another 1billion in to build a new ground on the same site and downgrade the current one to some sort of B stadium for kids and women's teams.

Seems much more likely that they'll slowly improve the facilities of the ground we do have now.

Time waits for no man though and what was state of the art once won't be forever. The huge stands blocking half of the stands in many positions in the ground, and limited leg room aren't great are they?

Infra-red

I think it's no coincidence that Glazer's hired master planners to look at options around the stadium and building a new one, then almost a year later they want to sell.
Indeed. No other way to pay for it. We can't afford to borrow while the Glazer debt is still in place, so have to sell some or all of the club.

It seems a bit fanciful that an owner is going to cruise in, spend 6-8billion just to buy the club, then pump another 1billion in to build a new ground on the same site and downgrade the current one to some sort of B stadium for kids and women's teams.
Any new owner might look to pay off the outstanding Glazer debt during the acquisition and then borrow to pay for a new/refurbed stadium & Carrington. United would essentially be swapping Glazer acquisition debt for stadium debt.

croadyman

Indeed. No other way to pay for it. We can't afford to borrow while the Glazer debt is still in place, so have to sell some or all of the club.

Any new owner might look to pay off the outstanding Glazer debt during the acquisition and then borrow to pay for a new/refurbed stadium & Carrington. United would essentially be swapping Glazer acquisition debt for stadium debt.
That's why we need mega rich owners