Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looked up some random large stadiums currently under construction to see what some current designs look like.

Dan_F

Is the smaller stadium a basketball court?
I was wondering that too :lol:

Surely the smaller stadium could incorporate the south stand and Munich tunnel if we were going down the route of a new stadium to the side of Old Trafford.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
We might as well take this at face value hadn't we. It would be great if it happens.

And also, for the doubters, if this comes to nothing, it's another lie from the Glazers, so it's something else to protest about, as it'd prove nothing had changed.

I know this is an unpopular opinion.. But have they actually done anything wrong since the protests? Backed the club in the window. Sacked the manager when we all knew it was time. Brought in a new structure and Rangnick which pleased most people.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It‘s fine wanting a bigger, safer more comfortable stadium for the match day experience as long as you can park your car within five miles of the place which is impossible now, and be able to get home on the same day you left. I haven’t been for four years or so, but it was cramped, smelly and not a pleasant day out. How much more debt would the G,Azeri load onto the club if they did build a new stadium?
They shouldn’t plan for car users at all. Not one able bodied person should be coming to the stadium by car in 10 years time.

Real Name

As long as its in the same place and English type of stadium, not a bowl of any kind I'm for it.

ReallyUSA

If they build another stadium, THEY WILL NEVER LEAVE. I hope you guys protest locally.

Cathy Ferguson

Must surely be cheaper to rebuild the South Stand, despite the railway, than to build a new stadium with 85,000 seats.

I bet the Glazers are itching to sell the naming rights. Heinz Ketchup Stadium.

sparx99

Old Trafford was a 'soulless bowl' in 1915 or circa 94.
Some would say it still is. I think the roof in particular makes it sound quieter than it is but there is no hiding the fact that we have more day trippers than most. Even when I visit I tend to drive and I like a few beers before I’ll really get into the singing.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If we do end up building a new one, I'd thieve the Indianapolis Colts' stadium design. Not much says Manchester more than a massive fecking red brick warehouse. :lol:

Gawge

Must surely be cheaper to rebuild the South Stand, despite the railway, than to build a new stadium with 85,000 seats.
No architect but I would presume given the constraints of the space in the South Stand, having to do it whilst keeping the rest of the stadium operational, linking it up with the rest of stadium, as well as modernising the rest of the stadium... there might actually not be too much difference to building something from scratch on a flat piece of land.

crossy1686

career ending
You guys are wild.

“the Glazers won’t fix a hole in the roof, never mind a new stadium and rebuild Carrington. They also won’t buy a whole new team never mind spend £100m on a midfielder” - “sanction City and Newcastle now as well as Chelsea!”

Lynty

Qatar will have a few stadiums going cheap come January, if we don't mind used condition. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Qatar will have a few stadiums going cheap come January, if we don't mind used condition. :lol:
I actually thought about it seriously, you could always use one of them while you rebuild Old Trafford. With a bit of chance one of the Glazers may step on one of the lego piece and hurt himself a little bit.

Crick

I was wondering that too :lol:

Surely the smaller stadium could incorporate the south stand and Munich tunnel if we were going down the route of a new stadium to the side of Old Trafford.
Agreed. It would be great if the women's/youth team smaller stadium kept a lot of the features of OT.

suheilsworld

I think the glazers know, that no matter how shite our league form or performance is, we still fill out stadiums. Increasing the capacity means, getting more revenues. Add to that a possibility for sponsoring the name

Crick

No architect but I would presume given the constraints of the space in the South Stand, having to do it whilst keeping the rest of the stadium operational, linking it up with the rest of stadium, as well as modernising the rest of the stadium... there might actually not be too much difference to building something from scratch on a flat piece of land.
This was the rumour last time this was brought up and dismissed both in the mid 00's when the plans were made, just before the Glazer's came in and still the same in 2019. Everyone was apparently shocked with how much the south stand would cost including how much per day Network Rail wanted to shut the line so work could be done. Also Network Rail would offer no money for the improved railway track build but wanted control over how it was designed and built. This was given as partly the reason why so much land around OT has been bought, including the freight yard, where the new stadium could be built. Therefore they didn't have to deal with Network Rail and could continue at OT until it was finished. It was suggested a new stadium on this land would cost roughly the same or even less than rebuilding the south stand, the quadrants and other upgrades. It would also be built in half the time with less planning issues. I don't if it was true but it was a plausible explanation.

Statue of Limitations

New Trafford (tm)
Don't like the idea of it, can't stay in the way of progress I guess but, would be sad.

One of my best memories of my dad was a visit to a Southampton match there.

Spoony

The People's President

Frank Grimes

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but United's record league attendance is 81,962 when we played our home games in Maine Road due to Old Trafford getting bombed by the Germans in World War 2.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's can't be New Trafford there area is Old Trafford. There's no such place as New Trafford.
I'm sure the three people who didn't know that started supporting City in 2014 anyway. :lol:

Last edited:

Precaution

Trafford industrial estate but the centre is starting to look like a modern metropolis. Another 20 skyscrapers are planned or under construction. This isn't going to stop.
That all started really when the BBC decided to sell off their London home (for £250mill :houllier:) and become Manchester centric instead over at the Media Village

Spoony

The People's President
That all started really when the BBC decided to sell off their London home (for £250mill :houllier:) and become Manchester centric instead over at the Media Village

I love the insane juxtaposition...you've got Strangeways which is a hell hole and at the end of those streets you see modern skyline developing. Anyway I'm not sure it started then, it started back in 96 but stopped due the world economic crises at the turn of the millennium, the boom has kicked started with a lot of private investment in the last few years. But I do get the feeling the powers in charge would like to see Manchester as a second capital.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm sure the three people who didn't know that started supporting City in 2014 anyway. :lol:
Love the idea of people thinking that the stadium was either a) orginally just called "Trafford" but had the word "Old" affixed to it at some point when people noticed it was getting on a bit or b) pre-emptively called "Old Trafford" when it was built because people at the time knew there'd be a new stadium at some point and wanted give them an easy name choice with New Trafford.

Gazza

I know nothing about architecture/engineering in general and OT in particular, but what about renovating OT like so:
Change some areas of the stadium to safe standing only --> increase capacity in those areas, leg space no longer a problem
+ Increase leg room in the remaining seating-only areas --> reduce capacity in those areas, but increase leg space
= People who want to stand can stand, people who want to sit with ample leg space can do so, and attendance not adversely impacted

Somebody will be able to tell me why that's a silly idea, please do!

sparx99

You thinking of any stadiums in particular in terms of being architecturally interesting?

If we're playing along with the idea that a new stadium would even be a possibility, it would be interesting to see what modern stadium designs people actually like given the complaints more "soulless" stadium designs attract.
Well, I tend to like certain elements of new stadiums.

1. Big single tier ‘Kop’ ends like the new Spurs ground.

2. Bayerns colour changing outside

3. Dallas Cowboys 100m long video screen

4. Atlanta’s Mercedes Benz diamond retractable roof

5. Teams are generally trying to build steeper to make better atmospheres as well.

Even just smaller teams like Forest Green building with wood or Luton’s unique floodlight design.

In general, if Utd were to build from new I’d love to see a nod in the design to the cantilevers we have but a more elegant and modern interpretation.

sparx99

If we do end up building a new one, I'd thieve the Indianapolis Colts' stadium design. Not much says Manchester more than a massive fecking red brick warehouse. :lol:

Great example of being both modern and traditional. Chelsea’s stadium design wasn’t to my taste but at least having brick and being different would’ve been cool to see.

Teams seem much more in tune when going to designers that they need to tap into what makes a stadium feel like it suits the club. Crystal Palace having a huge glass facade in their new stand as a link to the actual Crystal Palace for example.