Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Hal9000

West Ham are doing well since Moyes came in. Before that they did have a match where there were multiple pitch invasions and protests against the owner during the game because the fans hated the stadium.
One of the big issues is that West Ham fans hate the stadium is because they have nothing in and around the stadium for them. They are essentially renting so the land isn't there.There is no bars/cafes/fans zones. The nearest tube station is probably a 10 minute walk, actually 15 minutes because they are redirected around the shopping centre but the Olympic Park has nothing for them on match day. On the east side of the stadium you've got a few kids parks and a skate park, on the west side there is a canal and nothing else. You take Upton Park and, although not club owned, there was huge amounts of Pubs and Bars for them.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet

Someone with much better Photoshop skills than I could make a plan of a ground in that space.

Maybe have a word with the warehouse company at the top and offer them a nice sum to relocate.
don’t know how to post images but expect they’ll end up building in the land to the West and completing 2/3 of the new stadium before demolishing OT and then completing the new stadium.

wolvored

The easiest and the least liked by fans would be to move altogether like Arsenal did. Still local hopefully, though I dont know where there would be space. Utd could play at OT until it was built with no constraints.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
@stevoc doesn’t the American model involve threatening to quit the city unless the council massively subsidises the new stadium?

I can’t see the Borough of Trafford acquiescing to that…

The works you suggest (new roof etc.) would be great, and part of me would be happier with that than a complete rebuild. There’s not room to do it within the existing shell without a substantial cut in capacity though.
Yes, but repeated every 20 years or so. NFL teams are constantly complaining about stadiums that aren't even 30 years old and want public funds to do something about it.

Revaulx

Give me a billion pounds and I'll sort it out.

Nice. Are you suggesting picking the stadium up and moving it a few feet towards the canal in order to create more space by the railway line?

I’m not sure the Freight Terminal would still be able to operate having lost most of its hard standing. I don’t think people realise how busy it is; there’s a massive container train trundling through Oxford Road pretty much hourly.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nice. Are you suggesting picking the stadium up and moving it a few feet towards the canal in order to create more space by the railway line?

I’m not sure the Freight Terminal would still be able to operate having lost most of its hard standing. I don’t think people realise how busy it is; there’s a massive container train trundling through Oxford Road pretty much hourly.
Like I said; billion pounds. I'll need half of it up front.

Infra-red

How much do new build stadiums cost these days anyway? If it's a rebuild surely we could sell off the naming rights for a few hundred mill?
If you wanted something of equivalent quality to Spurs' stadium (including a cheese room, of course), then with the cost of raw materials sky rocketing, you'd probably be looking at £1.5bn.

Even with naming rights, United will never be able to afford that themselves, so the works would have to be funded by either equity or debt. Given United's already sizable debt and stagnant revenues, the latter would be a considerable risk, so I reckon that the Glazers are going to need to bring in a strategic partner of some sort.

All of this assumes of course that the Glazers are actually serious about a refurb/rebuild and aren't just trying to drum up some positive PR by tantalisingly dangling a popular project that they secretly intend to keep kicking into the long grass (excuse the pun). Given their track record, this has to be considered as a serious possibility.

RC89

If you wanted something of equivalent quality to Spurs' stadium (including a cheese room, of course), then with the cost of raw materials sky rocketing, you'd probably be looking at £1.5bn.

Even with naming rights, United will never be able to afford that themselves, so the works would have to be funded by either equity or debt. Given United's already sizable debt and stagnant revenues, the latter would be a considerable risk, so I reckon that the Glazers are going to need to bring in a strategic partner of some sort.

All of this assumes of course that the Glazers are actually serious about a refurb/rebuild and aren't just trying to drum up some positive PR by tantalisingly dangling a popular project that they secretly intend to keep kicking into the long grass (excuse the pun). Given their track record, this has to be considered as a serious possibility.
1.5b? Wow. Thanks for the response but what does the bolded part actually mean?

Revaulx

Like I said; billion pounds. I'll need half of it up front.
You’d need a lot of helium balloons to lift all that weight!

Seriously, the location of the freight terminal, while really handy for customers, is a major pain for the operational railway as the long slow container trains are hugely disruptive along the Castlefield Corridor, which is one of the busiest passenger routes in the country. Various suggestions have been floated for its relocation, but they’ve all been discarded as both not customer friendly and horrendously expensive. If you think HS2 is costing a fortune, even the most trivial modifications to an existing line are multiples more so thanks to Network Rail bureaucracy, political interference, compensation to operators and Elf ‘n’ Safety Gorn Mad.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
You’d need a lot of helium balloons to lift all that weight!

Seriously, the location of the freight terminal, while really handy for customers, is a major pain for the operational railway as the long slow container trains are hugely disruptive along the Castlefield Corridor, which is one of the busiest passenger routes in the country. Various suggestions have been floated for its relocation, but they’ve all been discarded as both not customer friendly and horrendously expensive. If you think HS2 is costing a fortune, even the most trivial modifications to an existing line are multiples more so thanks to Network Rail bureaucracy, political interference, compensation to operators and Elf ‘n’ Safety Gorn Mad.
Yeah that sounds like a right bastard to be fair.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Just completed my survey. Recommendations were to knock the fecker down and start again. Time to move forward. If people are so hung up about the old bits United can put them in a museum and they can reminisce there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just completed my survey. Recommendations were to knock the fecker down and start again. Time to move forward. If people are so hung up about the old bits United can put them in a museum and they can reminisce there.
Yep, why not change the kit colour, the name and have us playing at Wembley. They can go to a museum to read about the old stuff like tradition innit. :drool:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yep, why not change the kit colour, the name and have us playing at Wembley. They can go to a museum to read about the old stuff like tradition innit. :drool:
A new stadium would not be the end of the world, let's be real. And it's something we sorely need. Win a few bits of silverware and it would be all good.

I'm sure the Spurs fans are not pining for White Hart Lane at the moment.

Prodigal7

Voted for a rebuild. Like GNev said, we need to be at the forefront of stadiums and anything but a rebuild will still leave us trailing Tottenham in everything apart from capacity.

TOKUGAWA-X

I completely disagree with those that want a "special, amenities, day experience"

We are talking about the Premier League, English Football, a passion for millions who only want to get to the ground and start chanting, they dont care about "amenities".

In fact most of those millions that make Football special wouldnt mind stands with no seats, they just want to be standing there the entire 90mins.

If you need amenities to feel good in a football stadium maybe english football isnt for you.

There are other sports where i am sure will give you, treat you with the best amenities, day experience possible. You should try american stadiums, great food, great VIP suites, great views.

So in other words, the Glazers should just modernize the VIP rooms and expand some stands, thats all.

Like i said the Stretford End shouldnt even have seats, make it a "standing only" for 25K supporters.

wolvored

This 'experience' is all down to making money. The last game i went to at OT we went to Salford to get some food after and 2 hours later came back to pick the car up and the amount of folk still hanging around was in the hundreds I would guess. The glazers would be licking their lips if they could fleece more money after the game.

Speako

Never thought I would, but I voted rebuild. There’s little of the old girl left now from when I first started going, which has impacted the romantic attachment. I’d just ask that we have a Stretford End at the new stadium and do not place exec seats slap bang in the middle of the stand.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I completely disagree with those that want a "special, amenities, day experience"

We are talking about the Premier League, English Football, a passion for millions who only want to get to the ground and start chanting, they dont care about "amenities".

In fact most of those millions that make Football special wouldnt mind stands with no seats, they just want to be standing there the entire 90mins.

If you need amenities to feel good in a football stadium maybe english football isnt for you.

There are other sports where i am sure will give you, treat you with the best amenities, day experience possible. You should try american stadiums, great food, great VIP suites, great views.

So in other words, the Glazers should just modernize the VIP rooms and expand some stands, thats all.

Like i said the Stretford End shouldnt even have seats, make it a "standing only" for 25K supporters.
Good to see that you speak for the masses. Nice! How long did it take you to get the views of all those millions of fans? Just askin'.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

That simply isn't true though.

The reality is that a huge swathe of the people who go to watch football at Old Trafford aren't fans who just want to watch a game and don't give a shit about anything else. They're kids, families, elderly people, day-trippers, people from far away for whom this might be a once-in-a-lifetime trip etc. who rightly want and expect more from the experience than bare basic football. And the club rightly has to cater for them too.

If you want to watch football without any of that attached, find some some non-league team whose support consists almost entirely of hardcore football fans and watch games there. But if you're going to Old Trafford to watch football then like it or not you'll be surrounded by a much wider spectrum of fans than that.

And that's without getting into whether the selction of football fans you've decided make the game "special" are as uniformly uninterested in having better ameneties as you suggest. Which unless they're idiots they won't be, as if you can get it there's no reason to not also want the nicer food and better views you've sneeringly ascribed to American stadiums for some reason.

Last edited:

Red00012

This club is beyond a joke.
This club is becoming more and more amateur by the minute. It’s sickening watching it unfold . Can you imagine not checking was temporary seating not removed before the 1st home PL game. Never mind the fact we have already played in Pre season

AFC NimbleThumb

Major redevelopment or.... a lick of paint?

(the fans probably did crowd funding for the paint).

Old Trafford is a relic but corporations re-paint their premises all the time.

I fecking hate the glazers but where have these journos been for 20 years, I get Luckhurst has eyes on us more than some journos but this feels so much like pandering to the crowd. They’ve been penny pinching for 2 decades ffs!

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The Glazers promise to do lots of things that never happen. This is one of them.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Yet they get away with it all the time
The only solution is to stop paying for their products, indirectly or indirectly. Don't go to Old Trafford. If you must watch live, use rivers. Hit them in the pocket.

diarm

If there's a chance that the club is going to be sold in the next few years, I'd prefer any works on refurbing or replacing the stadium be out off until then.

I want whoever is responsible for deciding on how we proceed, to settle for nothing less than best in class, and I have zero faith that the Glazers would share that thinking.

They'd half arse it and cut costs, leaving us with some short term solution that would need to be undone once they'd gone.

RedDevilQuebecois

This was attached in a tweet from Gary Neville. God, I swear this has to be the way to go for a massive revamp of Old Trafford in the post-Glazers era.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This was attached in a tweet from Gary Neville. God, I swear this has to be the way to go for a massive revamp of Old Trafford in the post-Glazers era.

That looks spectacular. They are cnuts but they are also a world class club. Light years ahead of us from a sporting and infrastructure perspective.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

if we had spent the money we've wasted on transfers, let alone wages in the past decade, we would have had a stadium that majestic ourselves.

Rauður Djöfull

Holy sh*t

that looks wild

nothing remotely close to this ever gonna happen with the leeches still in ownership

RedDevilQuebecois

Holy sh*t

that looks wild

nothing remotely close to this ever gonna happen with the leeches still in ownership
The Glazers are barely moving towards expanding their NFL stadium according to an article in late July, but that does not say much about whether or not they would want to improve the in-house facilities that much. Those leeches have let the Raymond James Stadium crumble for quite some time now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Glazers are barely moving towards expanding their NFL stadium according to an article in late July, but that does not say much about whether or not they would want to improve the in-house facilities that much. Those leeches have let the Raymond James Stadium crumble for quite some time now.
There was $160 million dropped for upgrades beginning in 2016, granted part of the upgrades were due to the then-upcoming Superb Owl. That said, RJS is definitely showing its age having opened in 1998.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlay...nd-james-stadium-ready-for-super-bowl-lv/amp/

There also was an indoor practice facility finally built across the street at One Buc Place in 2017, something that was badly needed for decades. Gruden’s team used to have to practice in a parking garage during the SB season in 2002.