Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

next_number_seven

What do people think is a realistic capacity we could close to fill every week?

Assuming we're still competitive and not relegated for some reason.

Is 90,000 realistic?

I think 85,000 is a nice number

Danish Wizard

If the last two corners and Sir Bobby Charlton Stand were to be redeveloped like the opposite of the ground, I think we would be very close to 100.000.
If building a new ground, I think the club will aim at around 90.000.

Hughes35

Is 90,000 realistic?

Honestly, I think we would fill 100,000 pretty easily for the vast majority of games.

I very rarely go to OT anymore but would go pretty regularly if I could just go online and buy a ticket for the odd game.

Herman Toothrot

Honestly, I think we would fill 100,000 pretty easily for the vast majority of games.

I very rarely go to OT anymore but would go pretty regularly if I could just go online and buy a ticket for the odd game.
Agree. I go regularly but am often forced to sit by myself. If I want a season ticket it means sitting by myself for an entire season before, hopefully, getting the chance to move seats. I'm just too old to do that now. Every time that I'm lucky enough to get a pair together, I've no issue getting someone to come with me. I'm sure for some games it wouldn't sell out but I think there's a huge appetite out there from people put off by what a ballache getting tickets can be.

next_number_seven

It looks bad that Everton, Spurs and West Ham all have more modern stadiums than us. We should be miles ahead of them

Oranges038

Was just reading through this twitter thread, got a bit of a laugh out of this. Tiered seating, car parking and changing facilities and ways for people to get there.. mind blowing stuff.

Qatari new #Manutd stadium rough plans: 1/6•The stadium could be designed to seat up to 100,000 spectators, making it one of the largest stadiums in the world. •The seating could be arranged in multiple tiers, with premium seating options located closer to the playing field.
4/6 •The stadium could have locker rooms and facilities for players, coaches, and referees, as well as medical facilities to treat injured players. •The stadium could have parking facilities for spectators, as well as public transportation access nearby. #MUFC
You might also be able to get some food, and maybe a scarf.

3/6 •The stadium could include luxury suites, VIP boxes, and premium seating areas with access to exclusive lounges and dining options. •The stadium could have concession stands selling food and drinks, as well as merchandise stands selling team merchandise. #MUFC

GuyfromAustria

Is 90,000 realistic?

There are definitely many people abroad who'd visit more often (or even visit in the first place) if more tickets were easily available.

Mega Ron

the main issue for me with a redesign is making sure existing ticket holders are not priced out of equivalent seats. We'd lose more of the atmosphere and it doesn't sit right with me to pander to the £ note.

Reactions: Jippy

wolvored

We need to build a stadium as big as possible. 100k should be a minimum as this will help with income obviously and FFP. The more income the more we can legally spend on players transfers. They could open up say 10-15k seats to pay on the day fans that cant afford a season ticket.

red thru&thru

Someone was saying to me that, even if they refurbed the current stadium, there's not much they could do, as the foundations couldn't take much more pressure? They would have to literally strip it right back and do some extensive work, hence the cost of almost a new stadium, and the extra length of time to do this.

Someone was saying to me that, even if they refurbed the current stadium, there's not much they could do, as the foundations couldn't take much more pressure? They would have to literally strip it right back and do some extensive work, hence the cost of almost a new stadium, and the extra length of time to do this.
That’d absolutely amaze me considering North, East & West were completely bulldozed in the 90’s.

red thru&thru

That’d absolutely amaze me considering North, East & West were completely bulldozed in the 90’s.
Yeah, I'm not too sure about this.

Just can't wait for either the refurb or new build to start. It will feel like the club is actually progressing for the first time, in a long time.

Yeah, I'm not too sure about this.

Just can't wait for either the refurb or new build to start. It will feel like the club is actually progressing for the first time, in a long time.
Yeah I’d absolutely agree with this. Feels like we’ve stood still both on and off the pitch for a decade.
So new owners, ETH and a plan for the modernisation or rebuild would be a great sign of progress.

next_number_seven

Yeah I’d absolutely agree with this. Feels like we’ve stood still both on and off the pitch for a decade.
So new owners, ETH and a plan for the modernisation or rebuild would be a great sign of progress.
I've heard people saying we need a training ground?

Does anyone know if it's necessary?

I know Ronaldo complained about it.

I don't even think the stadium is in bad nick.
Just needs a refurbishment and maybe rebuild the Bobby Charlton stand

I've heard people saying we need a training ground?

Does anyone know if it's necessary?

I know Ronaldo complained about it.

I don't even think the stadium is in bad nick.
Just needs a refurbishment and maybe rebuild the Bobby Charlton stand
Just needs a jacuzzi.

I think Carrington likely needs 50-100m spent on it to get it up to top top standards is all.

Herman Toothrot

Interesting. Jon's insights on the Abu Dhabi scandal are some of the best out there too.

van Nistelrooy

If they could build Spurs' stadium within 3 years, I'm sure a new Old Trafford could be completed in a similar timeframe.

Infra-red

If they could build Spurs' stadium within 3 years, I'm sure a new Old Trafford could be completed in a similar timeframe.
Actually, 6 years seems quick based on the timescales of other major builds, but that may just be build time (ie not including the planning/tendering phase).

From announcement to opening - Wembley Stadium (9 years), Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (11 years), Emirates Stadium (9 years). Everton's new stadium was announced in January 2017 and is due to open in August 2024.

If new owners decided to go down the brand new stadium route, I'd be surprised if United were playing in it much before 2030.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
By which time the first part of the revamp will probably need revamping again.
Not really. If they take a stand down and rebuild it they said the team would just play with a reduced capacity of 50k for a season. That's what they want, more space for boxes and an increased attendance. The rest of the revamp would be cosmetic.

I work in the trades in the States and the Cubs redid Wrigley Field in about 6 months. Granted those last 2 months were pretty dicey and there were still a lot of things to be done behind the scenes but that work can get done quickly.

Spoony

The People's President
I prefer the latter option(complete revamp). Which'd mean we'd tear down a stand and rebuild it every couple of years.