Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

hp88

I still think its baffling theres no escalators all the way into the heavens of the north stand. I mean im pretty fit but that trek up there is just a nuisance.
There’s an actual health warning before you go up the stairs for North Tier 3 :lol:

Had my first season ticket up there 10 years ago, no fecking way am I running up those stairs like I used to.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This is where the Glazers have annoyed in the most.

Old Trafford and the surroundings is a a outdated, tired sh*thole.

But unfortunately its one of the lessor talking points when it clearly shouldn't be.
Agreed. It seems like one of the most obvious issues concerning a lack of investment as it relates to a poor attempt to keep the club on top.

Admittedly I don't think it's a major issue now - the stadium still works - but it's becoming a bigger issue as time goes on.

Spoony

The People's President
WHL is the benchmark...whilst ours looks like something from the Neolithic period. But it doesn't make financial sense to renovate it...it does the job albeit very crudely to allow 75k bums on seats.

Tiber

Its not Woodward's fault that the ground hasn't been developed since the owners turned up.

Spoony

The People's President
Our ground ain’t too bad when compared to the rest of the league, it’s just that people keep comparing the place to Man City, Arsenal, Spurs etc who have either had a complete rebuild or moved grounds so obviously ours will look dated.
It's awful. Made to 1960s specifications.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some gates that 100s of goons can't just wander in through would be useful.

Skills

Snitch
WHL is the benchmark...whilst ours looks like something from the Neolithic period. But it doesn't make financial sense to renovate it...it does the job albeit very crudely to allow 75k bums on seats.
Have you been to the Nou Camp?

Spoony

The People's President
Which is why before the pandemic they wanted to do something about it. Our owners have never bothered about OT, they don't even come to watch games anyway.
Was costing them over £700m. They've been wanting to renovate it for more than a decade.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's awful. Made to 1960s specifications.
It’s awful in some ways but it also has a hell of lot more character and soul then some of the new builds. It does need some work and an extension plus renovation would be great but I’d hate to move away and start again.

miked99

There’s an actual health warning before you go up the stairs for North Tier 3 :lol:

Had my first season ticket up there 10 years ago, no fecking way am I running up those stairs like I used to.
Ah yes, the thigh burn! And that's from walking!

Brophs

The One and Only
There aren’t many owners who can continue to provide a competitive team whilst moving to a new stadium/renovating and ours certainly don’t have the appetite for it. I imagine they can’t make any sort of business case for spending £700m or whatever on something that won’t deliver massively different revenues. Which means we’re stuck in this loop, I guess.

Sylar

:lol: I still remember an older couple (maybe 50s or 60's) being like in the line for security checks near the front, and I was closer to the back having been drinking and eating before (the couple left from the restaurant earlier as they said it will take them a long time).
I didnt realise they were in NS and I still managed to pass them.

I know theres some sort of 1930s lift shaft for disabled people? Or for something? Maybe taking drinks up? But still, its ridiculous.

The benchmark of how to remove any kind of atmosphere.

We have to be very careful how we renovate OT. Nou Camp, Giuseppe Meazza, the Bernabeu, San Paolo, Anfield (dare i say it), all the best stadiums are pretty ropey old places. We don't want to turn it into an Emirates.

Sylar

The benchmark of how to remove any kind of atmosphere.

We have to be very careful how we renovate OT. Nou Camp, Giuseppe Meazza, the Bernabeu, San Paolo, Anfield (dare i say it), all the best stadiums are pretty ropey old places. We don't want to turn it into an Emirates.
Isnt the new Spurs stadium one of the best at retaining the atmosphere?

Isnt the new Spurs stadium one of the best at retaining the atmosphere?
I haven't been. I've heard it's the best of the new stadiums but still a far cry from the old WHL, which was never the most intimidating place itself.

stepic

They’ll only do it if it’s financially beneficial to do so. Which it probably isn’t

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
This is where the amount of money the Glazers have taken out of the club really shows.
Realistically as much as some fans complain about the investment in the squad, realistically it has been more than sufficient, we are top of near the top of every net spend and wage expenditure chart going. The money for the squad has been there.
However the lack of investment in old Trafford is really sad to see, granted it’s been about 18 months since I’ve been there, but I’m doubting it has got any better. but there’s areas that look like they have been redecorated since the 90’s the roof leaks in places. It’s just just desperate for some money to be spent on it.
There is also rumours carrington isn’t fairing any better. Though of course I havnt been there so don’t know if this is true or not.
This is where the Glazers huge intrest payments and debt are really hurting the club. Investment in its infrastructure.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm not in favour of a whole new ground, but they should at least finish the south stand and SE and SW quadrants, so it's a unified structure. They renovated 3/4 of it and then stopped (at pretty much the moment the Glazers took over). From above it looks like two stadiums smooshed together.

Jacko21

The club have spent millions buying the land around Old Trafford purely to prevent private developments (like Hotel Football) from happening on their doorstep. Hopefully a future owner will put the land to better use.

Same with the expansion of the South Stand and adjoining quadrants - plans were drawn up years ago but need an owner willing to sanction it.

RUCK4444

Personally I don’t get the whole ‘Old Trafford is a wreck’ opinion.

Sure it could do with a refurb but it’s a proper stadium and walking out into those stands is still every bit as special as it ever was (imo.)

I would love it to be refurbed and the surrounding area developed but I wouldn’t want to totally lose the authenticity of the stadium either.

Maticmaker

Why revamp when 75,000 turn up every home PL match and 60/70,000 for most Cup matches even Caraboa!

TV cameras only ever show the pitch and the walk from the dressing room.
All the restaurants do reasonably well even in the 'off season'
Food franchises do well during the season
... and as for the Mega store...well enough said!
And the biggest and best excuse for not moving to a new stadium ...."well it would no longer be the 'theatre of dreams' would it?"

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm sure, with the right people involved in the process, they could modernise Old Trafford while keeping a strong sense of the soul and community the stadium represents.

Spoony

The People's President
Would be interesting how they'd modernise the place...it's not as if the bowl is owt special, only the South Stand is from a by gone era and the lower K Stand/Scoreboard End was completed in 1973...aside from that the rest hardly dates back to antiquity. Also when OT was constructed it was the best stadium in the world - for many a soulless bowl. United have always had the best stadium in the country till a decade or so ago. It's a dream but I'd love a modern OT that'd reflect its history in some way.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would fans be open for a relocation and a complete brand spanking new stadium ? :nervous:

Judas

Open to offers
No one with any sense wants a relocation, that would be heartbreaking. But a refurb isn't out of the question and is more than doable, if those in charge actually cared enough to do it, but I think we know the answer to that.

Darrenmcveigh

No one with any sense wants a relocation, that would be heartbreaking. But a refurb isn't out of the question and is more than doable, if those in charge actually cared enough to do it, but I think we know the answer to that.
Totally agree with both your points. I couldn't imagine United playing in a different location and I doubt the Glazers have any intentions of investing a single £ into the ground

0le

Would fans be open for a relocation and a complete brand spanking new stadium ? :nervous:
Are you talking about a temporary relocation whilst the existing stadium is redeveloped or a permanent relocation?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Match day prices have been frozen for a decade. Fans have not been in the stadium for over a year. If you're a businessman, you can make a case for spending what will be 100m+ on the stadium.
No matter the owner, fans are going to have to choose between stadium renovations and higher ticket prices.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Are you talking about a temporary relocation whilst the existing stadium is redeveloped or a permanent relocation?
No, complete relocation. Which is understandably a complete no-go.:)

Superunknown

Why revamp when 75,000 turn up every home PL match and 60/70,000 for most Cup matches even Caraboa!

TV cameras only ever show the pitch and the walk from the dressing room.
All the restaurants do reasonably well even in the 'off season'
Food franchises do well during the season
... and as for the Mega store...well enough said!
And the biggest and best excuse for not moving to a new stadium ...."well it would no longer be the 'theatre of dreams' would it?"
This is pretty much it for me. I can't see anything significant happening to the stadium anytime soon. If they don't have to spend the money, they won't. Especially for something as expensive as stadium refurbishments/revamps/do overs.