Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

stubie

I’ve said with the amount of land the Glazers have acquired surrounding Old Trafford we should look to build a new stadium on the same site, just further away from the train lines to it can be level all the way round. Unfortunately we would need new owners of Bin Salman resources standard to make it happen.

Skills

Snitch
If they knocked it down, would we play at Wembley for a season?
White text

SinNombre

Match day prices have been frozen for a decade. Fans have not been in the stadium for over a year. If you're a businessman, you can make a case for spending what will be 100m+ on the stadium.
No matter the owner, fans are going to have to choose between stadium renovations and higher ticket prices.
All football fans want a benevolent owner who just keeps sinking their money into the club, it is not sustainable.

Even with Glazers gone, we won’t have the money for a rebuild.

Jezpeza

Its infastructure costs. Personally I think just needs the south stand redeveloping to realise the biggest capacity and a facelift and revamp of toilets and back of stand areas etc. I like the idea I heard of a smaller stadium to host womens and academy games and gigs etc and the idea of a ‘planet Man Utd’ with hotels etc. Think the training ground could do with a revamp as well?

Not going to create a tottenham stadium unless its done from scratch. It was easy for them to leave WHL because feck all ever happened there and it wasnt big enough

Highbury was historic but also not big enough so big commercial gains from increasing size.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Won't hear me say too much positive about Pool but I do love that Anfield is still Anfield, despite a massive rebuild and renovations of a lot of it. Unless it's cost prohibitive (which seems unlikely) - I hope the club will eventually do the same, rather than building another soul-less facility like Arse and Spurs. Surely building across train tracks isn't very complicated to do these days.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Building a new stadium a couple of hundred yards away has to be one of the most bonkers ideas I've ever heard.
How much is that? A billion?

meamth

Visited Old Trafford years ago. It was a privilege and a mystical stadium.

I don't want it to have the "modern look", just renovate the facilities, modernize the internal, seating, etc.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Don't understand the clamour for a new stadium.
It’s a nostalgia filled stadium we all love and have emotional connections with but it’s extremely dated, cramped and in need of a lot of work.

hp88

Every new ground I have been to has been souless, guesing it's linked to the bowl shape structure. Not sure if Spurs will be any better, was close to finding out until lock down kicked in.

If they knocked it down, would we play at Wembley for a season?
White text
Ground share at the Council House for a year :)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Building a new stadium a couple of hundred yards away has to be one of the most bonkers ideas I've ever heard.
How much is that? A billion?
The Denver Broncos needed a new stadium so they built it in the car park, then knocked down the old one and that became the new car park.

I’m not necessarily advocating this option, just saying it’s plausible.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This is where the amount of money the Glazers have taken out of the club really shows.
Realistically as much as some fans complain about the investment in the squad, realistically it has been more than sufficient, we are top of near the top of every net spend and wage expenditure chart going. The money for the squad has been there.
However the lack of investment in old Trafford is really sad to see, granted it’s been about 18 months since I’ve been there, but I’m doubting it has got any better. but there’s areas that look like they have been redecorated since the 90’s the roof leaks in places. It’s just just desperate for some money to be spent on it.
There is also rumours carrington isn’t fairing any better. Though of course I havnt been there so don’t know if this is true or not.
This is where the Glazers huge intrest payments and debt are really hurting the club. Investment in its infrastructure.
For people wondering will the protests effect the players I would say to them that our training facilities and stadium realistically could have a genuine knock on performance than any protesting. The lads don’t see the fans all that much or the owners ever but they work at carrington every day. If it isn’t up to the standards of the clubs new players are coming from I’m sure that says everything to the players about the owners that they need to know. Yes we spend a lot of money on our squad but we are entitled to because we generate a lot of cash. I’m sure the players can see that the glazers are paying themselves very handsomely and letting standards slip. The players know we back them.

All that aside I’m also certain most if not all of the players and staff would agree the fans need a voice and the glazers need to properly address the problems that they have carelessly let grow over their tenure while they whored us out. A lack of any communication, semblance of future planning or display of any affection whatsoever for the club and fans are all major hurdles and I think it might be a bridge too far for the glazers to make that kind of commitment. They couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery for a start…

SirAF

Ageist
It’s a nostalgia filled stadium we all love and have emotional connections with but it’s extremely dated, cramped and in need of a lot of work.
Agree with this. It's been quite a few years since I last went but I thought it looked dated already back in 2011.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
This is pretty much it for me. I can't see anything significant happening to the stadium anytime soon. If they don't have to spend the money, they won't. Especially for something as expensive as stadium refurbishments/revamps/do overs.
The problem is the longterm debt you’d take to finance such a big infrastructure project we already have courtesy of the privilege of their fecking ownership.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The Denver Broncos needed a new stadium so they built it in the car park, then knocked down the old one and that became the new car park.

Oh it's technically possible yes.
But not with these owners, not at 1Billion cost, and not for having to play somewhere else for 12-18 months.

I get the feeling 75,000 is about the max we need capacity wise too.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
There's different levels to whats needed right?

1 There can't be any actual structural issues because they'd be sued massively by the council etc. So the rust etc will be cosmetic. There's problems with the roof I've seen mentioned before. Escalators and lifts maybe needed. All of that stuff is easier to solve. The biggest issue being the roof.

2 Expanding the ground over the railway, they have the land already but it's expensive to do. Less now than in previous decades but still. Would that cost the same as a whole new stadium? Not these days, Spurs' cost 1billion and its not as big as the current one.

3 A new ground. Even with WHL they had to play away for a year? Are you going to play at City for a year?

To me the fact they own the grounds around the stadium, but didn't look at the plans for Hotel Football and think "Ah thats a great idea, lets build our own hotel here". Shows they're shortsighted in the match day side. Commercially they've been good, but why not build hotels and other amenities around the ground, it's simple and would earn them money. They're missing opertunities.

Build a mini stadium, of like 15K. Use it for concerts, the youth and women. Keep Carrington for the senior players. You can sell the naming rights to the Mini Trafford!

Skills

Snitch
Agree with this. It's been quite a few years since I last went but I thought it looked dated already back in 2011.
Never got this impression whenever I've been. Not really sure, what anyone wants in the upgrades too?

Heated seats?
Cupholders on every seat?
Leg rests?

What features do you have in these new stadiums?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Oh it's technically possible yes.
But not with these owners, not at 1Billion cost, and not for having to play somewhere else for 12-18 months.

I get the feeling 75,000 is about the max we need capacity wise too.
I reckon we could easily fill 90,000 a week. You are right though, the Glazers don't care enough about us long term to see the short term spend.

They'd rather the letters fall off the stands before even thinking about investing.

SirAF

Ageist
Never got this impression whenever I've been. Not really sure, what anyone wants in the upgrades too?

Heated seats?
Leg rests?

That would be swell!

I love OT, but I just think it looks dated all around. For instance, from the concord where you buy food I remember a lot of concrete which personally I don't think it's a good look. I also remember the bogs being absolute rancid! :lol:

I guess it comes down to personal taste, but I prefer the new and shiny look of modern stadiums. It might be sacrilege to say here but I think Arsenal, Spurs and City's stadiums look brilliant.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I reckon we could easily fill 90,000 a week. You are right though, the Glazers don't care enough about us long term to see the short term spend.

They'd rather the letters fall off the stands before even thinking about investing.
I think it's more the case we could easily fill 90,000 for the big games, but would struggle to fill up, as we do now, for midweekers or the lower teams.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The club have spent millions buying the land around Old Trafford purely to prevent private developments (like Hotel Football) from happening on their doorstep. Hopefully a future owner will put the land to better use.

Same with the expansion of the South Stand and adjoining quadrants - plans were drawn up years ago but need an owner willing to sanction it.
This is part of what's crazy to me. The Glazers were property developers, or at least Malcolm was. Why would they buy up so much property surrounding OT and then do nothing with it? With development and construction booming in Manchester, surely they could have turned it into something to generate revenue for the club (more likely for themselves). Lease the land to developers or develop it themselves.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
That would be swell!

I love OT, but I just think it looks dated all around. For instance, from the concord where you buy food I remember a lot of concrete which personally I don't think it's a good look. I also remember the bogs being absolute rancid! :lol:

I guess it comes down to personal taste, but I prefer the new and shiny look of modern stadiums. It might be sacrilege to say here but I think Arsenal, Spurs and City's stadiums look brilliant.
Toilets I get. But I've never understood people who care what the stairways or the concorses look like at any Stadium. They're just corridors and I don't care what they look like as I'm passing through. I care what it looks like from my seat, from the outside and on camera.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If Malcolm was still alive I'm certain he would've taken full advantage of the area surrounding OT.
Honestly, I genuinely think his children are dullards.

One of the best outcomes would be if fans of every club realise that fans can easily control if a game is played or not.

I hope it's a wake up call for fans that strength in numbers really matters and that by banding together the fans can achieve any changes they want in the game.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They’ll only do it if it’s financially beneficial to do so. Which it probably isn’t
It all depends on the payback timescale.
We have to remember that some people had a vision many years ago on a stadium which became Old Trafford.
A single player who cost £100m plus wages can easily amount to £200m in a few years.
The life cycle of a stadium would be decades.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Heated seats?
Leg rests?

Not having to rest your knees on the shoulders of the person in front would be a nice start.

Spoony

The People's President
This is part of what's crazy to me. The Glazers were property developers, or at least Malcolm was. Why would they buy up so much property surrounding OT and then do nothing with it? With development and construction booming in Manchester, surely they could have turned it into something to generate revenue for the club (more likely for themselves). Lease the land to developers or develop it themselves.

I was convinced at one time that they bought the land to develop OT. Bizarre purchase.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
For people wondering will the protests effect the players I would say to them that our training facilities and stadium realistically could have a genuine knock on performance than any protesting. The lads don’t see the fans all that much or the owners ever but they work at carrington every day. If it isn’t up to the standards of the clubs new players are coming from I’m sure that says everything to the players about the owners that they need to know. Yes we spend a lot of money on our squad but we are entitled to because we generate a lot of cash. I’m sure the players can see that the glazers are paying themselves very handsomely and letting standards slip. The players know we back them.

All that aside I’m also certain most if not all of the players and staff would agree the fans need a voice and the glazers need to properly address the problems that they have carelessly let grow over their tenure while they whored us out. A lack of any communication, semblance of future planning or display of any affection whatsoever for the club and fans are all major hurdles and I think it might be a bridge too far for the glazers to make that kind of commitment. They couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery for a start…
I genuinely don’t know how this will affect the players, I suspect it will vary a lot throughout the squad.
I 100% think some are going be going yes for god sake the owners need to spend some money on the infrastructure of the club.
but then offers maybe going what the hell are fans moaning about, they gave Sanchez the biggest contract in premier league history, De gea is the highest paid goal keeper in world football and he is on the bench half the time. So some players won’t see were fans are coming from.
equally some are going to feel threatened after not being able to the hotel yesterday. Which is a reasonable response.
There will also like be some who just want to do there jobs and see this and nuisance. Which is again a fair response.
There will also be some who care deeply about the club and want to hear the fans voices.
But then you will also likely get some players who are thinking I don’t need this hassle, and question there future are the club, I guess the key concern here is Cavani. Just when he seems like he may stay he ends up getting trapped in a hotel with protesters outside, that might make him question His future further.

All the responses above are completely fair and reasonable and I would be surprised if all these views were not present in the squad, they are present among fans and among the media so it would shocking if they arn’t present in the squad.

Olecurls99

They look nearly the same. What a complete waste of money

D4X73r

Won't hear me say too much positive about Pool but I do love that Anfield is still Anfield, despite a massive rebuild and renovations of a lot of it. Unless it's cost prohibitive (which seems unlikely) - I hope the club will eventually do the same, rather than building another soul-less facility like Arse and Spurs. Surely building across train tracks isn't very complicated to do these days.
I said this already in another thread last year: from a technical perspective, building over train tracks is no issue. My company built a 8-storey high production building directly over the subway. Lowest basement is around 2 meter above the multitrack-tube. So it is possible, but the money would be a factor. As the new production building is generating a huge amount of income and on the other side OT would just add a few more seats

choccy77

Re the South Stand, the cost's are just unrealistic for the club to redevelop unfortunately.

Its the fault of the person who decided to build it right next to the railway line at the time unfortunately.

Red00012

There’s an actual health warning before you go up the stairs for North Tier 3 :lol:

Had my first season ticket up there 10 years ago, no fecking way am I running up those stairs like I used to.
My 1st time attending OT my ticket was in tier 3 , we drew 0-0 with Newcastle the 1st time we failed to score at OT in 30 odd games . At the time I was just in awe of been there !

redshaw

The main thing is replacing the roof so people have a better view inside the stadium.

Newcastle manged to make an elevated roof in the late 90s in an old style stadium yet our protracted expansions kept the ugly pitched roof which blocks the view the higher up you're sat. We had many opportunities to replace it at much lower cost than now.

The quadrants could've looked much better, we should've had one quad filled out more and each built at the time the second tier at each end was added with an elevated roof that progressed around as the work was carried out. The way they have built each section and kept the pitched roof has meant this old design is truly redundant now, the stadium viewing is old before it's time. With better planning in the 2000s we could've had an elevated roof, more attractive quadrants and I would've also made the Stretford End slightly bigger to join onto the North Stand height for a truly spectacular sight.

People also forget we don't even have a 75k stadium anymore yet it's said on repeat. It's down to around 72k due to the seats being removed for more disabled sections. Capacity is reducing rather than increasing.

Lee565

Thus is what really irks me with all these moronic football pundits that have been saying they don't get why the fans hate the glazers so much when they have spent money in the transfer market post fergie but don't have a clue about how badly they have neglected the infrastructure of this club since they took over.

Trophy Room

Gutting a stadium like OT and rebuilding it is going to cost over a billion dollars - this is a liability and will impact on transfers etc. It makes more sense to update the existing stadium.