Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Fluctuation0161

Because the people continually moaning about the Glazers are like the underpants gnomes in that episode of South Park.
They have no realistic plan for what the missing step is!

Someone else has to run the club. Who will that be if not the Glazers?

How many people world wide can put 4billion in just to buy the thing? Let alone then pour money in at best, or not lift loads out at worst?
This is bollocks. You've just not been paying attention. Read through some.of the posts with detailed options.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is bollocks. You've just not been paying attention. Read through some.of the posts with detailed options.
I've not read one realistic option.

We're not going to get some massive collective of rich fans coming in, we're not going to find some massively rich guy to buy it and run us as we want, and we're not going to get the Glazers to sell a majority stake.

Our best hope is that their little letter is the truth and they're going to wake up from their complacency and using us as a cash cow.
It seems a pipe dream, but it's the best we have.

Nori-

Which bits do you mean?

I tend to go in normal times about 8-10 times a season, and I didn't give a second thought to the surrounding areas. It's the north, it's grim up north!
Just the general area/stadium. The main road where you buy the fish/chips doesn't scream biggest club in the world. The walk from the tram station to the stadium is like a run down industrial estate. Inside the stadium, the stairways, the toilets, the condition of the fans seating, stories about the roof leaking. Just all of it.

You look at what some other clubs have done and its the whole experience. The area and walk up to the stadium. The quality of the food. The sound system inside the stadium etc. I think as long as the owners can fill seats they just don't care. It's an added expense they don't want and will eventually pass on to the next owner.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What kind or argument is that? I don't want Saudis either. And there's no chance of that happening anyway.

There are other businessmen in the world other than Saudis.
There are yes.
But how many businessmen put in 4billion to buy businesses, let alone sporting ones and don't expect major interest out?

stevoc

OT with the infrastructure around it is virtually impossible to redevelop fully, which it now needs. Taking the red tints off the best option would be a new build, but where that would be and how much it would cost is 2 major headaches. The sad fact is it will probably be given a lick of paint, a mended roof and some seats will be taken out and standing will be trialled. We are heading the way of the Villa. Once an iconic stadium, but now looks an eyesore.
It will always be iconic given the history that's taken place inside it.

United won't ever build a new stadium, it would cost 2-3 times what even a major redevelopment of OT would and it wouldn't make sense to abandon the clubs historical home of over a century.

Look at what other super clubs have done or are doing. Real and Barca's stadiums were built in the 50's and they've both opted against building a new stadium and instead renovating their current ones. Probably for the same reasons financially less expensive and retain their historical homes. And Old Trafford is twice the age of both those grounds.

OT has underwent major reconstruction work many times in it's history and it will again at some point. No idea if any other the original 1910 construction is even left. It's like the Ship of Theseus.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just the general area/stadium. The main road where you buy the fish/chips doesn't scream biggest club in the world. The walk from the tram station to the stadium is like a run down industrial estate. Inside the stadium, the stairways, the toilets, the condition of the fans seating, stories about the roof leaking. Just all of it.

You look at what some other clubs have done and its the whole experience. The area and walk up to the stadium. The quality of the food. The sound system inside the stadium etc. I think as long as the owners can fill seats they just don't care. It's an added expense they don't want and will eventually pass on to the next owner.
The club don't own a lot of the land you mention.

But I've never been one for the "matchday experience" phrase. I hate all that.
I want to see the game, and see a good team out there. The rest seems like fringe stuff that doesn't stop us getting crowds.
The biggest issue for me is that we're a huge club yet never quite do what you'd expect a huge club should do in the transfer market.

Bristol_Red_87

£200M on OT or the Squad?

As mentioned already, the squad will always be the priority and until we get that right, so OT will continue to fall into further disrepair.

Some really good points made in respect of the surrounding areas, but that is something that's been neglected long before The Glazers arrived.

I wonder, in the future (no doubt post Glacier future) if it would be feasible to rebuild in a similar fashion to Spurs and build out West behind the Stretford End? I must admit it doesn't look all that feasible after studying the rail network to the South West and I imagine its been considered before but to overhaul OT considerably, moving it is the only way?

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
They look nearly the same. What a complete waste of money
Happens all the time with American sports. Very common to get a new stadium every 30 years or so. Only a handful of old stadiums left (mostly baseball).

Green_Red

I've not read one realistic option.

We're not going to get some massive collective of rich fans coming in, we're not going to find some massively rich guy to buy it and run us as we want, and we're not going to get the Glazers to sell a majority stake.

Our best hope is that their little letter is the truth and they're going to wake up from their complacency and using us as a cash cow.
It seems a pipe dream, but it's the best we have.
Then you're not reading. Are you a member of MUST? They have some realistic options that they've been discussing with the British Prime Minister along with many other supporters trusts around the country. You probably didn't know that either? But then youd probably think that the British Prime Minister just had them all on a call for some top bants, and not the discuss the future of fan led sports in the United Kingdom and how the British government can facilitate that happening.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Then you're not reading. Are you a member of MUST? They have some realistic options that they've been discussing with the British Prime Minister along with many other supporters trusts around the country. You probably didn't know that either? But then youd probably think that the British Prime Minister just had them all on a call for some top bants, and not the discuss the future of fan led sports in the United Kingdom.
Oh buddy, I love your innocence. :lol:
Fair play though.

Contano

Was watching the Fulham match the other night on DAZN in Spain, everytime they zoomed into Ole on the dugout, you could see old cobwebs everywhere. I know its just cobwebs but looked real bad, anyone else notice that?

choccy77

You cant realistically compare brand new billion pound stadium s to one built in the 1900's

There is only so much that can be done, without building a new stadium.

But yes, further improvements can be made, but only realistic ones, such as fixing the roof and improving some aspects to give it a longer life, but it's still over 100 years old.

Robertd0803

For all the talk about the area surrounding the stadium, United dont own a lot of that anyway do they?

This is actually getting me hot, its disgusting the way the glazers have neglected old Trafford.

Please watch

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Would you be happy with a completely new stadium? A la Tottenham Hotspur?

Completely modern and state of the art, the most seats the most technological and best stadium in the country?

But away from Old Trafford? Can’t back on to the train tracks and there isn’t a lot of room to expand and we look outdated.

Chelsea are looking to build a new one IIRC & Everton’s proposed new stadium does look very nice indeed.

So, would you guys be happy with a brand new stadium built from the ground up?

tomaldinho1

To answer your second point, the Glazer's and Kroneke's care little about the local, "Legacy" English supporter.
If they were to move Manchester United to become Rome Manchester United or Beijing Manchester United., they would be fine because they would still have the two billion supporters from Asia and Africa.
This is the sad part of football now. Move United to Beijing and it would probably be ‘better’ for the clubs financials. Local fans mean nothing to the Glazers - why would they care if we are located in Manchester when they could get more money from the team being in New Delhi or Beijing.

Lastwolf

- They scrapped the women's team because it didn't make money only to bring it back because of the pubic backlash. Now we've just lost the coach because they wont upgrade the facilities for them.
Apparently not because of blacklash, but it was a tv rights requirement.

choccy77

Completely modern and state of the art, the most seats the most technological and best stadium in the country?

But away from Old Trafford? Can’t back on to the train tracks and there isn’t a lot of room to expand and we look outdated.

Chelsea are looking to build a new one IIRC & Everton’s proposed new stadium does look very nice indeed.

Chelsea scrapped their rebuild plans and also lost out on the Battersea development for a new site a few years back.

There is nowhere else for them to move to and development very limited in options, like Old Trafford is also

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If it was a choice between that and nothing, sure. OT is only going to fall further and further behind as time goes on. If it's this bad now then god knows how old it will look in 10, 20 or 30 years unless something is done. If the only way for us to have a top class stadium by that point is to build a new one from scratch then do that. The past is important but the future far more so.

However, I'm not sure that modernising OT should be impossible for a club of our stupendous wealth. For example, you mention the train tracks but as far as I'm aware that's not a particularly difficult or novel a problem to circumvent, it would just cost a lot of money to do so. Opting to go down that route rather than building a new stadium might be an impractically expensive way of preserving our history but that's the sort of impracticality the richest (or thereabouts) club in the world could invest in if it was able to spend its money on itself.

laughtersassassin

Stadiums can and have been built over plenty of train tracks.

Baneofthegame

That would never happen. We've been over this.

And yes I'd rather keep them than have MBS in charge but that would never go through anyway. This is not a reason to stay with the Glazers ffs. Why do people keep using this excuse?
So who out there, can afford our club, wipe our debt and revamp the stadium which is probably around 5 billion?

No one ever names them or says Jim Ratcliffe who has already said in an interview he would never do this because it’s not economically viable.

Bindz

Couldn't just the 2 quadrants be done to the south stand you could have mega screens in-between or boxed seats eliminating the huge cost of building over the railway,taking the cap to around 80k , a continuous new roof and other work to bring it upto scratch without having to go over 300mil mark

Big Andy

Bloke
All this “cost prohibitive to build over the train track” is complete bullshit. It’s just a bit more steel and concrete. You could cantilever over it no problem.

Steve Bruce

So who out there, can afford our club, wipe our debt and revamp the stadium which is probably around 5 billion?

No one ever names them or says Jim Ratcliffe who has already said in an interview he would never do this because it’s not economically viable.
I think our best bet is having a number of rich people owning a small % each plus the supporters owning a % big enough to elect a board member or 2.

Basically United pre Glazers but with hopefully more supporters owning enough of the pie to have some influence

stampedingviking

What kind or argument is that? I don't want Saudis either. And there's no chance of that happening anyway.

There are other businessmen in the world other than Saudis.
You don't think "other businessmen" will want a return on their investment?

You think the Glazers are bad, wait until you see what return they would want on a £4bn purchase price.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The railway track excuse has always seemed like a cop out. The Amsterdam Arena is built over the top of a motorway which goes under the middle of the pitch. The old Atletico Madrid stadium had a motorway running underneath the main stand in a similar position to where the train tracks would lie beneath a potential expanded south stand at OT.

Perhaps the housing next to the train tracks is more of an issue?

UnitedFan93

The railway track excuse has always seemed like a cop out. The Amsterdam Arena is built over the top of a motorway which goes under the middle of the pitch. The old Atletico Madrid stadium had a motorway running underneath the main stand in a similar position to where the train tracks would lie beneath a potential expanded south stand at OT.

Perhaps the housing next to the train tracks is more of an issue?
They would have to build a reinforced concrete tunnel to withstand a potential train derailment. The costs involved for an additional 10-15k seats are going to be enormous. That being said the club should definitely do it, long term it will be definitely worth it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Tories won’t push developers in the direction of (HUGE) Development contributions. The whole area needs a Council led decade long plan.

Masses of private money, led by the Mayor/Capable council. Roads to an extent, but Public Transport and housing with significant tax mechanisms to attract businesses that may not have 7 day a week revenues.

These systems are witnessable globally. But... Tories. Mostly.

dave1956

Building over the track has been talked about for around 30 years, .I thought they had purchesed the houses on the other side of the track before the prersent owners took over the club.

Tories won’t push developers in the direction of (HUGE) Development contributions. The whole area needs a Council led decade long plan.

Masses of private money, led by the Mayor/Capable council. Roads to an extent, but Public Transport and housing with significant tax mechanisms to attract businesses that may not have 7 day a week revenues.

These systems are witnessable globally. But... Tories. Mostly.
labour mayor.

McTerminator

I spoke to a guy who works for the surveyors the Glazers used to assess the stadium and plan a refurb of the commercial suites just before lockdown.

He confirmed that the stadium is just as bad as people make out and also that when this was brought to Woodward’s attention by the professionals old Ed didn’t really care.

McTerminator

You don't think "other businessmen" will want a return on their investment?

You think the Glazers are bad, wait until you see what return they would want on a £4bn purchase price.
If someone bought the club and cleared its debts they could take pretty big dividends and nobody would give a feck as it would be masked by the lack of interest payments.

the purchaser could then enjoy the game of owning United for however long that gets them off and eventually get their money back and then some by selling the club.

Doesn’t seem so ludicrous to me especially when you think about the only people capable of doing it.

If someone bought the club and cleared its debts they could take pretty big dividends and nobody would give a feck as it would be masked by the lack of interest payments.

the purchaser could then enjoy the game of owning United for however long that gets them off and eventually get their money back and then some by selling the club.

Doesn’t seem so ludicrous to me especially when you think about the only people capable of doing it.
People don’t spend £4bn on a business without financing it.