Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Maticmaker

Would be cool if it can be incorporated into the stadium perhaps with it's own stop inside the new structure. :D
That idea got shot down once it became known/believed that OT was on a terrorists hit list... the concern being they could hijack a train and run high explosives right into the heart of the ground.

The railway line and the canal have always been limiting factors on expansion, also the stadium shape needs to be altered from rectangular to elliptical, gives better views.

A new stadium is required, but if you leave the site you lose the 'Theatre of Dreams' concept (and where do you go?) If you rebuild on the same site, would have to leave the stadium and play elsewhere (like Spurs did) for a season or more. Once before, in order to repair WW2 bomb damage, we had to play on City's pitch at Maine Road, but at that time Maine Road had a bigger (theoretical) capacity.

Now, even if the politics of it could be arranged as we all know the Etihad has less capacity than we currently have and so we would have to go elsewhere...but where?

Finally where is the motivation for the owners to spend Billions? 75,000 tickets are sold for nearly ever game, PL CL, Caraboa Cup etc.already.?

hungrywing

I would mind if they were red iron girders like the San Siro, did you seep Herzog and de Meuron's plans for Stamford Bridge? They used London brick and the design really suited area. So yeah industrial would look great. We should put this forward to the Glazers!
Yes I think it’s very nice. Note to self, spoondog seems to really like vertical ribbing.

Speaking of vertical ribs and San Siro, I really like their proposed new design.

BTW another thing these stadiums have going for them is the absence of a car park; the designs can interact in more subtly pleasing ways with their surroundings. If we could sink OTs parking underground, you open up many possibilities.

Spoony

The People's President
Yes I think it’s very nice. Note to self, spoondog seems to really like vertical ribbing.

Speaking of vertical ribs and San Siro, I really like their proposed new design.

BTW another thing these stadiums have going for them is the absence of a car park; the designs can interact in more subtly pleasing ways with their surroundings. If we could sink OTs parking underground, you open up many possibilities.
Few typos - fat fingers.I wouldn't mind red iron.

The new San Siro exterior looking amazing. There was fantastic render of a proposal to refurbish the current San Siro but I can't bloody find it.

Joseunited

BBC say we are discussing an Old Trafford overhaul that will see capacity upped to 80,000.
Significant improvement to the Sir Bobby Charlton stand is expected.

Spoony

The People's President
BBC say we are discussing an Old Trafford overhaul that will see capacity upped to 80,000.
Significant improvement to the Sir Bobby Charlton stand is expected.
Could only be small capacity increase plus boxes on the South Stand. Not good.

Big Andy

Bloke
Could only be small capacity increase plus boxes on the South Stand. Not good.
Why? And don’t give me that shit about the Railway line. In this day and age spanning a stadium over a Trainline is a piece of piss.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why? And don’t give me that shit about the Railway line. In this day and age spanning a stadium over a Trainline is a piece of piss.
Think that is what he's getting at. Instead of going all in, we are just going to tweak the capacity a bit.

Spoony

The People's President
Yes but the article states we're looking to increase above 80k, so that can't be be a significant overhaul of the stadium

choccy77

Manchester United Football Club are delighted to announce the launch of the Bricklayers Initiative: privileged fans worldwide will be allowed to pay £10 to purchase a virtual 'brick' towards the £500m project to revitalize the Gla Old Trafford, our treasured home ground. "A select group of fifty million fans from around the world will be able point (vaguely) and proudly proclaim, "That is my brick. There are many like it, but that one is mine."
So basically Glazers are selling an NFT - This is mental

choccy77

As much as I'd like a bigger increase in capacity, just modernising the stadium is the major thing for me. It needs bringing into this century.
Totally and the ship has sailed for now on United being able to have like 90+k a game, Ronaldo or not.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Totally and the ship has sailed for now on United being able to have like 90+k a game, Ronaldo or not.
No way!

Man Utd’s fan base is fecking huge, we’d easily be able to fill the stadium week in week out with 90k seater stadium.

That ship is well and truly in and ready to take more customers, there may be some rough times in the club at the minute, but support has never been weaker

choccy77

No way!

Man Utd’s fan base is fecking huge, we’d easily be able to fill the stadium week in week out with 90k seater stadium.

That ship is well and truly in and ready to take more customers, there may be some rough times in the club at the minute, but support has never been weaker
I meant that 90k financially probably wouldn't be viable to cover the costs and would require a long long term investment by the glazers and that would have to mean ticket prices rising etc and would be a problem in these uncertain times.

Personally i'd love to see OT reach that 100k status

hungrywing

I wouldn't mind if they extended the South stand but it only resulted in a couple of extra thousand seats - because they also improved leg room everywhere else or at the very least gave folk kneepads because fecking hell...
The 80,000 figure sounds wonky in that it sounds just right for either replacing all the seats and building a sizeable number of new ones over the railway, or leaving all the cramped seats and building a small addition over the South Stand. One would think they're not going to do the latter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59020785

Link originally posted by @Adnan.

...BBC Sport understands that initial meetings have taken place with a number of interested parties, with United keen to explore different ideas for improvement of the entire footprint around the stadium, including the south stand, which was renamed after former player Charlton in 2016...
Translation: pretty drawings incoming. But at least there'll be some ideas for the fans to mull over. And that bolded part would seem to indicate something else pretty interesting.

Discussion about redevelopment of that part of the ground has tended to centre around the prohibitive cost of building over the railway line, which is directly behind it, and the impact on houses beyond that.

However, improvements in construction materials mean the work could now be done without that expense.
No idea what exactly that might be, but that sounds slightly ominous aesthetics-wise. She ain't purty, but she'll do the job. You wanted ten thousand new seats, you got ten thousand new seats. *bangs wrench against metal beam* On exposed stilts. (technically all the others are 'on stilts', too)

...It is thought any upgrade would also include work to enhance the media and broadcast facilities, plus additional hospitality areas, which are regarded as essential to make the project financially viable...
Translation:
Probably premium seating, exec boxes... anyway the Glazers can maximise revenues.
After reading that article, gut feeling is these will be proposals for a pretty major facelift. Particularly the 'entire footprint around the stadium' bit; that could be just the immediate area, but it could also mean renderings of how the area would look without the car parks and a 'waterfront redevelopment' project they could take to the city (and county?) to sell to potential investors.

And if they go that far, it's possible they'll entertain ideas for some new exterior solutions for OT - cladding, screens, etc. Essentially like the Stamford Bridge thing @Spoony brought up and the New Bernabeu and the Cathedral idea for the new San Siro: structure surrounding the existing OT (and the increased South Stand)...except much much much cheaper than those other projects. They'd be an absolute laughingstock in certain circles, but done right, it could look good.

Spoony

The People's President
The 80,000 figure sounds wonky in that it would seem that they're considering either replacing all the seats and building a sizeable number of new ones over the railway, or leaving all the cramped seats and building a small addition over the South Stand. One would think they're not going to do the latter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59020785

Link originally posted by @Adnan.

Translation: pretty drawings incoming. But at least there'll be some ideas for the fans to mull over. And that bolded part would seem to indicate something else pretty interesting.

No idea what exactly that might be, but that sounds slightly ominous aesthetics-wise. She ain't purty, but she'll do the job. You wanted ten thousand new seats, you got ten thousand new seats. *bangs wrench against metal beam* On exposed stilts. (technically all the others are 'on stilts', too)

Translation:

After reading that article, gut feeling is these will be proposals for a pretty major facelift. Particularly the 'entire footprint around the stadium' bit; that could be just the immediate area, but it could also mean renderings of how the area would look without the car parks and a 'waterfront redevelopment' project they could take to the city (and county?) to sell to potential investors.

And if they go that far, it's possible they'll entertain ideas for some new exterior solutions for OT - cladding, screens, etc. Essentially like the Stamford Bridge thing @Spoony brought up and the New Bernabeu and the Cathedral idea for the new San Siro: structure surrounding the existing OT (and the increased South Stand)...except much much much cheaper than those other projects. They'd be an absolute laughingstock in certain circles, but done right, it could look good.

If they're not going to improve the bowl, increase seat size and substantially increase the capacity, it won't matter how pretty the exterior may become. It'll end up looking like some US college stadia(the right term?) with one side stacked by mega corporate boxes (Levi's stadium). Analyst were saying that they've exhausted revenue coming from the stadium, going big on the corporate side is a great opportunity for them. Oh well Hungry.

hungrywing

If they're not going to improve the bowl, increase seat size and substantially increase the capacity, it won't matter how pretty the exterior may become. It'll end up looking like some US college stadia(the right term?) with one side stacked by mega corporate boxes (Levi's stadium). Analyst were saying that they've exhausted revenue coming from the stadium, going big on the corporate side is a great opportunity for them. Oh well Hungry.
I'd bet that's the first item on the list: replacing all seating and an improvement of the bowl. (they're probably hoping to just give all the exposed concrete a nice coat of weatherproofing) The 80,000 number sounds like the plans involve at the very least increasing the seat size. Because if you keep seat sizes and build up the South Stand you end up with way more than just 80,000, so it would seem to be along the lines of what Mr. Pigeon posted: remove all old seating (except for them brand-spanking new standing seats) build up south stand, increase base seat size, top the whole thing up to 80k, re-seat pump nozzle, drive away.

Oh God, if any of the proposed ideas are like Levi's then it's simple: mass protests. Burning of the jeans. (what do you mean fast fashion leftovers are already burned for fuel in some poor countries)

Spoony

The People's President
I'd bet that's the first item on the list: replacing all seating and an improvement of the bowl. (they're probably hoping to just give all the exposed concrete a nice coat of weatherproofing) The 80,000 number sounds like the plans involve at the very least increasing the seat size. Because if you keep seat sizes and build up the South Stand you end up with way more than just 80,000, so it would seem to be along the lines of what Mr. Pigeon posted: increase base seat size, top up to 80k, re-seat pump nozzle, drive away.

Oh God, if any of the proposed ideas are like Levi's then it's simple: mass protests. Burning of the jeans. (what do you mean fast fashion leftovers are already burned for fuel in some poor countries)
How about completing a third tier as well? I hope you're right, by the way.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would have to see the details, but is increasing the capacity by about 5,000 or so worth the massive expense and upheavel?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I meant that 90k financially probably wouldn't be viable to cover the costs and would require a long long term investment by the glazers and that would have to mean ticket prices rising etc and would be a problem in these uncertain times.

Personally i'd love to see OT reach that 100k status
100k would be fantastic, but don’t see how they could do it without building a brand new stadium

stw2022

Putting a more modern, less blocky, roof would be nice for an aesthetic upgrade.

hungrywing

How about competing a third tier as well? I hope you're right, by the way.
If you mean "extending that one existing section all around the stadium", that doesn't seem likely to me at least right now. If you build up the South Stand and do a third tier all around as well, removing/redoing the overhangs, at that point you'd have one foot dipped 3/4 of the way into 'complete overhaul' territory.

In terms of the exterior, knowing the Glazers, I'm 90% sure they're just looking to get some 'waterfront development' ideas without touching the exterior of OT, but it's really weird to do one without the other (i.e. doing the reverse and building a brand-spanking new OT without touching the surrounding area) so that 'footprint' thing has got me wondering.

Flytan

Out of curiosity what is the local fan bases opinion on changing Old Trafford. Would they rather move to a brand new stadium, knock down and rebuild in the current location, or keep doing minor stuff to it?

Pscholes18

Out of curiosity what is the local fan bases opinion on changing Old Trafford. Would they rather move to a brand new stadium, knock down and rebuild in the current location, or keep doing minor stuff to it?
Never move to a new stadium.

Snuffkin

Move to a new stadium, Neville's toilet block hotel should also be demolished. The litter strewn pavements will become an iconic piece of modern art depicting the grim post covid times.

Castia

Would have to see the details, but is increasing the capacity by about 5,000 or so worth the massive expense and upheavel?

The revamp will be the main focus of the build, I guess these extra seats are a bonus to the work being done on the stands.

I really hope this goes ahead the stadium is in a terrible condition

Dan_F

100k would be fantastic, but don’t see how they could do it without building a brand new stadium
There’s no need for it outside of the very biggest games I’d guess. Plus it takes long enough to get out of the car parks as it is :lol: