Ole’s farewell interview

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Couldn't this have been done after he's had time to soak in that he's been sacked ? If he did this interview next week he wouldn't have been emotionally shot.

TrueRed79

A sacking interview? I'm a sentimental person, honestly. Just can't get onboard with this. Find the whole idea very awkward and unnecessary.

Halftrack

This is the kind of mawkish thing that everybody would mock Liverpool for. Sure, he's a club legend and maybe a year down the line you interview him on MUTV and pick through the bones a bit, but this is just bizarre.
The club is more than just an employer to him, he loves and appreciates both it and its fans and wanted to say goodbye.
This interview just shows everything wrong about the club during his 3 years.
This is just silly.

Rusholme Ruffian

He's certainly been brilliant at saying just what the fans want to hear in his 3 years. He's got grown men crying and top reds offering to fight 'plastics' in this thread alone.

Club PR have played a blinder again. Instead of people questioning how the board came to give such a mediocre manager 2(!) contracts everyone is now acting like he was giving up his time for free, and you'd think he'd pulled the club out of its darkest time since Munich to read some of the revisionism (just as a reminder we finished 2nd just 6 months before he was appointed...)

The cult of personality has become all consuming and were it any other club we'd be pissing ourselves.

kthanksbye

I'm so glad Ole asked to do this interview instead of it being a contractual obligation, that would've made me sick to my stomach, that the united PR cnuts want the views and clicks that Ole's first video interview after sacking would've brought.
Fair play, Ole. You'll always be loved.

R'hllor

Farewell interview after being sacked, didnt know such thing exist.

Partridge

ultimately, he made some progress, but just didn't have what the club need, and continue to need, modern tactics, like other managers, and an ability to change things up when our games go tits up.

Idxomer

He's certainly been brilliant at saying just what the fans want to hear in his 3 years. He's got grown men crying and top reds offering to fight 'plastics' in this thread alone.

Club PR have played a blinder again. Instead of people questioning how the board came to give such a mediocre manager 2(!) contracts everyone is now acting like he was giving up his time for free, and you'd think he'd pulled the club out of its darkest time since Munich to read some of the revisionism (just as a reminder we finished 2nd just 6 months before he was appointed...)

The cult of personality has become all consuming and were it any other club we'd be pissing ourselves.
Agreed, this wasn't a goodbye interview.

It was an 11-minute interview of mostly making up excuses, bigging up his time as a manager, and underplaying the collapse he had this season.

It's an exercise to make most people believe this wasn't another failed project under the Glazers though that might not be Ole's intention.

sugar_kane

Can’t face watching this yet, but saw the clips on MOTD2 - sad stuff.

Fees quite exploitative over all, they’re milking Ole’s love for the club for all it’s worth so they don’t look like the bad guys.

They’ve made the right decision ultimately, don’t get me wrong, but I feel like they’ve handled it very badly. I think they expected him to walk so put him through weeks of additional embarrassment to save a bit of money.

Roboc7

I feel sorry for Ole and now he’s gone I’ll remember him as a player not a manager. I definitely see where you are coming from, the last three years have been all talk and no action. Kicking the can down the road, over promising, under delivering, using cliches and generic nonsense to mask the lack of any real plan.

I’m not blaming Ole for all that, it’s the club as a whole. Feels like we can’t trade off success now so it’s all about trading off nostalgia and history which Ole represented.

Interview is hard to watch but Ole had to be put out of his misery and he was never going to achieve what he wanted as he just isn’t and never would have been good enough.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The one silver lining in the abomination of a thread is the glory-hunting, internet-only, Chelsea-like fans are outing themselves.
I’d be using it to ban cnuts.

As for the interview, I think he was told after the liverpool game that he was done at the end of the season. The hope being that he could limp to top four and leave on good terms. This interview was always coming, it was just fast tracked.

I’m not sure he was out and out sacked.

stw2022

I’d be using it to ban cnuts.

As for the interview, I think he was told after the liverpool game that he was done at the end of the season. The hope being that he could limp to top four and leave on good terms. This interview was always coming, it was just fast tracked.

I’m not sure he was out and out sacked.

Only in the same way a guy isn't out and out dumped if a girl says 'it's not you, it's me'.

He wasn't consciously uncoupled, he was relieved of his duties.

NewYorkRed

That made me emotional. He may not have been the right man, but I wish it worked out for him. Will always be a legend.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
feck me, there are some heartless cynics here. Yes ultimately he wasn't good enough, but he gave us some great memories along with the bad ones, and so so obviously loves this club. He had to go, that been obvious for a while, but he is still a utd legend, and a good guy. So long and good luck ole

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Farewell interview after being sacked, didnt know such thing exist.
To me it showed he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder about being shown the door and he truly considered it an honour to coach United, a club he loves. The bit where he got emotional when he spoke about Carrick was lovely to watch.

He came in during a tumultuous time as a caretaker and did his best ever since. It's not his fault he wasn't quite good enough.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Crazy how people find it weird a club giving an outgoing manager respect.

This isn't even top red stuff, some things go beyond results and trophies and stats.

What makes United a great club is that history has show it's great in all aspects of club life, not just the results on the pitch. It's what separates the Uniteds and dare I say it, Liverpool's from the Chelsea's and city's. I think some of you "fans" would do well to remember that.
Spot on.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
That was tough to watch. Forget for a second all that is going on. Whether is was right to appoint him in the first place. Or discuss it in another thread.

The man genuinely loves United. You see how much he hurts at the moment.

Sacking Moyes, LvG or Jose…they were outsiders.

Ole is part of the family and feelings and connections with him are on different level. You just have to love the man. Even if this didnt work out.

stevoc

Bizzare. Instead of Broadway productions such as these the club should focus on the future and getting the right man for the job.
Yep they should have had the interviewer, camerman and lighting guys out prowling the streets looking for football managers.

minoo-utd

Club respects him and now it’s time for the club to respect us too and move on have some plan and work harder.

stw2022

Ole is part of the family and feelings and connections with him are on different level. You just have to love the man. Even if this didnt work out.
Sure but I honestly don't think it needed to effectively waste a season before everyone, himself included, knew he wasn't good enough. Loving the club vs 'why would he resign, he'll get a huge payout' always seemed fairly at odds. I blame the club much, much more but you'd be giving him less credit than I do if you genuinely think he was unaware he wasn't up for the job a while ago.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
How beautiful, we hired him just to become friends with everyone.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
I don't see a problem with such an interview. Nice bit of closure and leaves on good terms. No point in being bitter about it not working out, it isn't personal.

Also why are people making out that he was forced to do it by the club? He's no longer employed at this point and isn't even wearing the club crest or branding. He literally says in the first few sentences that he wanted to do it to clear the air, and so journalists don't write a load of rubbish; and he won't be doing any other interviews.

God help the next manager with our fans

R'hllor

To me it showed he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder about being shown the door and he truly considered it an honour to coach United, a club he loves. The bit where he got emotional when he spoke about Carrick was lovely to watch.

He came in during a tumultuous time as a caretaker and did his best ever since. It's not his fault he wasn't quite good enough.
Didnt watch the interview, nor i have issues with it, just dont remember anything like that happened before, thats all.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
What the feck is the club doing? Who the feck makes post sacking interviews? Make him parade his failure? Shit show all round.

even if I didn’t like the man I’d have felt sorry for someone in the clubs corp comm calling him to show him a contract clause that mandates an interview after being fired
I've been staunch ole out from day 1 but god mate grow a heart. He loves this club to the core that interview was lovely. What a legend

chiz2kul

Imagine the response if Lampard had done a "farewell" interview after the sacking. Bet you they'll be a tad different.

Hawks2008

I don't want to be too cynical and this was maybe a nice idea, but this interview doesn't land for me. Feels strange to put out an interview from an outgoing manager.

Galactico

Ole is Class. Although the team has not been winning, he never once threw anyone under the bus. Top respect to him for how he’s conducted himself over the past few weeks. He was out of his depth from the start, but his optimism was what everyone needed after Mourinho and during the pandemic. He was learning on the job to become a better manager each season and lured some great signings to OT on paper at least. You have to say that for all the tactics in the world, if international defenders forget how to defend, what chance do you have of winning football matches or keeping your job as a manager? The defence has been absolutely atrocious and I can’t believe it’s down to lack of coaching. His captain let him down massively here - his job as a minimum is to organise the back four and he was woeful at doing that. I hope we strip him of the armband and give it to Bruno or Ronaldo. Ole has great respect from me. From his perspective, he was only supposed to come in and be an interim manager so he overachieved from that perspective.