Ole’s farewell interview

Giggzy P

The Club really handled this terribly. It was clear for a long time that Ole wasn't up to it, but they let this drag on this long to a point where some fans are a bit bitter towards Ole.

The interview is sad, the situation shouldn't have come to this, what was the point of keeping him after the City or Liverpool games. What exactly was the point? What was the board hoping for?

Reactions: Cheimoon

Coleyoscar

Very sad interview and although it was right for him to go I feel very sad about the whole thing. Have found it increasingly difficult to watch united under him, in large part because I didn't want to see him fail. Its been clear for a while that he cares but has gone as far as he can. Clearly loves the club and cared about the job, which I think is more than can be said for his predecessors. Has left us with a very good if not perfect suqad and certainly in better shape than when he got here.

Still a legend for me. Some of the posts in here are embarrassing. Can only assume they are from very young, immature fans.
This captures my feelings exactly.
He must have been under enormous pressure in recent days but he handled it with great dignity. He seems like a thoroughly good and decent man. My overwhelming feeling is one of sadness that it didn't work out for him. Still a United legend for me too.

romufc

Very sad interview and although it was right for him to go I feel very sad about the whole thing. Have found it increasingly difficult to watch united under him, in large part because I didn't want to see him fail. Its been clear for a while that he cares but has gone as far as he can. Clearly loves the club and cared about the job, which I think is more than can be said for his predecessors. Has left us with a very good if not perfect suqad and certainly in better shape than when he got here.

Still a legend for me. Some of the posts in here are embarrassing. Can only assume they are from very young, immature fans.
I agree with this, most fans wanted him to do well, there was a part of me that wanted him in charge at the start of the season to see if he can win us something, ofcourse it doesn't always work out.

Like the people saying we should have got rid of him years back or what, there is no guarantee the new man will come in and win things, so hindsight is always better.

Poch, Ten Hag is on many peoples lips, neither are guaranteed to win us something. So its always s risk whoever we get.

Regards the squad, it is in a much better place than Jose left us with Young, Sanchez, Fellaini, Darmian etc...

NK86

Most likely they are failures themselves in real life so in this twisted mentality they associate United success to that of their own so they hold United to standard they themselves can’t achieve in real life.

In short, glory hunters.
Yeah, real classy that statement. Someone not agreeing to your sentiment or opinion is a glory hunter and failure in life. :lol:

BigRon1985

That was a hard watch. If it was his decision and not the club's then fair enough if it gave him some sort of closure. Despite his shortcomings as a manager he clearly cared for the club. His smiling after defeats annoyed the hell out of me but this interview redeemed him a bit in my eyes. Wish him well but doubt we will see him managing again in this country.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not his biggest fan, but I wish him a speedy recovery.

Ultimately, he was a good man who had no business being at United as permanent manager, and who spent 430m pounds to send us sideways, and in a worse league position than when he took over.

I also think he should have chat with the club after Liverpool’s disgrace and find a settlement, but he ‘was too close to give up’. Dunno in what, in relegating us?

Ultimately, he was a good man and an awful coach. The man who made me stop watching United, something that not even Moyes managed to do so.

I think it tells about itself that after spending this fortune and the club backing him with both the highest spent in the world, and highest salary bill in the world, the best you can say for him is that ‘he is a good man’, or ‘he scored an important goal 22 years ago’.

I also think that we would have laughed like kids if Liverpool/Kenny or Chelsea/Lampard did this.

Giggsyking

Good luck Ole, for me you will always be the legend that made Munich cry in the 93 minute.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
There's clear difference between Ole as a player and Ole as a manager.

No matter how badly he flopped as manager, no one can or ever will take from him everything he's done as a player. He's still first player I would choose to come from bench when you're goal down and you need something from nothing.

As a manager he started well, but his backtracking on things he said (mocking Jose for second place finish while his 2nd finish being great, saying about playing youth yet giving new contracts to Mata, Matić, Jones etc., talking about title fight then running from one while in great postion, constantly playing his favorites ni matter how bad they are- McTominay, Maguire, Shaw, not giving proper chance to VDB...) made it really hard for me to support him no matter how much he likes United.

Wish him all the best in the future, hope he bounces back from this and finds himself club which is more suited to his level, not everyone are made to be Manchester United manager and there's no shame in it.

unclefredo

Just watched the interview in full. Genuinely, the overriding feeling I get when I watched him is relief. Its absolutely clear that he cares deeply about the club, its fans and traditions but he looks absolutely spent - emotionally and physically. He's got nothing left to give.

I, like alot of us, have wanted Ole to do well but deep down know that the decision for him to go was the right thing to do - if not a few games too late. I think we have to remember that, as caretaker, the results we achieved were phenomenal. Ole stepped up for the club when we needed him the most, after Mourinho, a coach with significant pedigree, had destroyed the place. His permanent appointment was all on the board - they are to blame for appointing a coach with nowhere near enough experience to handle arguably the biggest job in world football. Its borderline negligent. There was no reason to give him the gig before the end of the season as he would never have gone anywhere else if there was a glimmer of hope he might be made permanent - just like there was no reason to extend his contract this year. Had they waited till the end of his caretaker season, it's likely he would not have been kept on and thanked for steadying the ship.

As it was, he was given a job just too big for him and has done remarkably well, given his experience, to get this far. You could argue that he should've turned the job down, knowing it was too big for him but you have to remember, this was his dream job and without question, the proudest 3 years of his life.

No doubt I'll get slaughtered for being a "top red" but Ole is an absolute legend, a great guy and a credit to our club.

Reactions: Invictus

Sparky Rhiwabon

Can you imagine Klopp or Pep or Fergie saying what it’s all about is making friends? All that would matter to them is singleminded success

Legend16

The absolute state of our squad when he took over. He made us fun to watch again and gave us some great times. But his limitations were obvious a couple seasons back and the notion he would learn on the job was silly. All of whats happened is an indictment of our structure and the decision makers high up. Ole's interview is sad and overwhelmingly illustrative of a good and decent man. I love the man. I was in the Nou Camp when he did what he did. He will never be forgotten for winning us the treble. Seeing him so emotional here is not easy to watch. Can only wish him the best and hope the crowd sing his name at the next games. I imagine a part of him will be hoping for that.

shinpad

I,m back to being an admirer of the lad that put the ball in the germans net, thanks for everything Ole legend.

Lord of Blackhaven

Whether Ole asked to do the interview or not is irrelevant. This is the most cringe inducing thing I have ever seen. How could any self respecting person do an interview immediately after being sacked. It just shows how unsuitable he was for the job to begin with. He is literally like a fan who won a competition. Try to imagine any other top club or coach in the world doing this. They wouldn't. He is still talking about the PSG away game as a highlight. It was a last 16 knockout game 3 years ago! How far this club has fallen is scary. Nostalgia FC.

JB7

Last I checked, we were in 8th position with a trajectory of finishing worse than that. That is certainly not a sign of progress, its regression.
That's now, I was replying to the clown who said there had been no signs of progress in 3 years because unless you have your head firmly inside your arse, there was definite progress up until this season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There's clear difference between Ole as a player and Ole as a manager.

No matter how badly he flopped as manager, no one can or ever will take from him everything he's done as a player. He's still first player I would choose to come from bench when you're goal down and you need something from nothing.

As a manager he started well, but his backtracking on things he said (mocking Jose for second place finish while his 2nd finish being great, saying about playing youth yet giving new contracts to Mata, Matić, Jones etc., talking about title fight then running from one while in great postion, constantly playing his favorites ni matter how bad they are- McTominay, Maguire, Shaw, not giving proper chance to VDB...) made it really hard for me to support him no matter how much he likes United.

Wish him all the best in the future, hope he bounces back from this and finds himself club which is more suited to his level, not everyone are made to be Manchester United manager and there's no shame in it.
Let’s get over this Jones myth. When he was given his contract he was in the United 1st team picture, and part of the England squad. He is an experienced player who has won the PL, FA cup and a the EL. Why wouldn’t he be given a contract extension then?
His career threatening injury which has kept him out for 18 months, occurred after his contract extension and he’s been fighting to get back to fitness ever since.
give the lad a break, I’m sure that once he proves his fitness he will either be moved on or perhaps become a utility man at United like OShea

lee82gx

as a fan of United, he was a legend as player. But between average and learning as a manager. Too bad it hasn't worked out, and no way we will accept any less from a non-Utd player.
I was so #oleout but I remember he also loves the club. You are still loved Ole. Bye and but see you soon.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Ah yes.....the cult of Ole.

If he was a legend and I'm not saying he wasn't so was Keane, Beckham, Giggs, Van Nistelroy, Robson, Hughes and many many more.

It's no wonder the Board act on emotion when most of the fan base does the same.

He comes across as a lovely bloke. A gentleman who probably places respect and human decency above all else but that doesn't make him a good manager, let alone a great one.

I don't feel sorry for him as he accepted the role. Nobody put a gun to his head. The memories of managing this club will stay with him and his family forever as well as the money.

But let's not allow emotion to rule our heads.

Even his post match interviews were full of scripted cookie cutter responses with no substance to anything he said.

He has alienated half the squad by constantly picking out of form players and not having the confidence in the others to play them.

He's clearly promised some players more game time and then reneged on his promise for no apparent reason which is a bit shitty.

Sometimes a person can be loyal to the point of being blind. Our coaching staff are NOT "world class". OGS's allegiance to the club and his own staff was put above his own reputation and sadly he was too blind to see it.

Legend16

As for this interview, what were they thinking?
I can only imagine our amazing PR division thought it might get us lots of clicks and convinced the man it was the right thing to do. as with everything last few years it got them engagement at the expense of doing the right thing

spiriticon

This thread is an abomination and if we don't win another trophy for the next 20 years, we totally deserve it as a fanbase.

deef

It was probably said before (I am not going to read through all the negativity) but this interview wasn't all that bad.

He said in the beginning that he's not interested in giving the same interview all over again and he wanted to say goodbye... He is a classy guy who did a good job in his first 2 seasons but in the end fell short...
He just didn't manage to install a clear game plan and playing style...

It was the right decision to sack him but still thank you for everything!

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
This thread is an abomination and if we don't win another trophy for the next 20 years, we totally deserve it as a fanbase.
Are we going to hire only unqualified ex-United players as managers for the next 20 years? If we do so, we deserve not winning any trophies for the next 20 years, to be fair.

Devil’s Trident

To all the posters who are mocking the interview and Ole, wind your neck in like honestly. We aren’t talking about just any person or manager here. We are talking about a former player/legend whose name is etched in our history who gave the most beautiful and precious moment of some of our lives who then came to manage us when we were on our knees. We dreamt of winning things together with him. Fairytales don’t get better than this. Yes he was lucky to get the job and yes it didn’t work out and yes I was also quite scathing of him and wanted him gone but giving him this interview to have his final say is the least we could do and something to be proud of about this goddamn club rather than getting amused and giving lectures like that spurs fan who won’t understand shit what it means. Add to the fact he is a genuinely nice bloke. And watching him in that state and being so emotional is heart wrenching to be honest. You have to be a special type of so called supporter not only to not feel anything but also to deride him at this moment. He is gone, what more do you want? It’s over..you hear that ? It’s over and now I want nothing but the best for him and his future.

And to those who talk about romanticism and sentimentality and feel embarrassed. This fecking club’s history is interwoven with romanticism throughout its existence . Read about your own club you special cases. Even in the 70’s and 80’s when we were shit we were still the most supported club in the land. You know why ? Not due to success primarily but because of romanticism as there was always something beautiful about this club more than any other club. It means something to us. I’m happy the club gave him this opportunity to waive his goodbye rather than asking him to quietly pack his stuff and let him go through the back door which some of you lot would have loved as you would like nothing more than seeing him insulted and humiliated even after getting sacked. Call yourselves united fans u lot huh? Pathetic. Surviving on hate even when he is gone.

Last edited:

spiriticon

Are we going to hire only unqualified ex-United players as managers for the next 20 years? If we do so, we deserve not winning any trophies for the next 20 years, to be fair.
I hope so. Steve Bruce, Rooney and Fergie's grandson at the helm next to piss everyone off into dark despair.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
There'll be a new man in the seat for them to hate soon enough.
Absolutely, toys will be out of the pram as soon as the new manager has a few bad results.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He's certainly been brilliant at saying just what the fans want to hear in his 3 years. He's got grown men crying and top reds offering to fight 'plastics' in this thread alone.

Club PR have played a blinder again. Instead of people questioning how the board came to give such a mediocre manager 2(!) contracts everyone is now acting like he was giving up his time for free, and you'd think he'd pulled the club out of its darkest time since Munich to read some of the revisionism (just as a reminder we finished 2nd just 6 months before he was appointed...)

The cult of personality has become all consuming and were it any other club we'd be pissing ourselves.
Spot on.

And some dare compare people questioning the goal of this interview to RAWKites. Peak irony.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Most likely they are failures themselves in real life so in this twisted mentality they associate United success to that of their own so they hold United to standard they themselves can’t achieve in real life.

In short, glory hunters.
Would of thought all the glory hunters would of fecked off long ago considering we haven't won a major title in 8 years. There's nothing wrong in wanting a manager way out of his league sacked. It's people that wanted him to stay are the irrational ones and don't care about the club. Why should I feel gutted for Ole when he never should of been made permanent manager in the first place? If it was any other manager with no ties to us, this forum would be united in its thoughts but as the club and board have excelled in thrashing out PR bullshit for the last 3 years It's divided the fanbase more than ever which is why I never want to see an ex player anywhere near the job again unless he's proven himself at a lot higher level than Ole has.

spiriticon

Yup, would be so fun seeing us playing in Sunday league to own the non-cultists.
Why the hell not. Start again from scratch, create new history, lose the owners and even better, lose some of this fanbase on the way.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why the hell not. Start again from scratch, create new history, lose the owners and even better, lose some of this fanbase on the way.
Yup, and if the worst comes, we will always have that goal to celebrate.

Rusholme Ruffian

Yeah they obviously CGI'd the gun held to his head out of the final video.

Jesus.
Every single word uttered and written by anyone connected to the club since the sacking was announced will have been vetted and approved beforehand, in an attempt to control the narrative. It may well have been Ole's idea (although I personally doubt that, in spite of what he says in the video), and I'm not for one minute saying that he's not completely genuine in his words and emotions, but to see it as anything other than club PR in terms of its primary reason for existing is naive.

He'll always have a legendary spot in United's history thanks to the Nou Camp in 99, but for god's sake let's move on with the mawkish canonization of saint Ole. He ended up in the job of his dreams, being paid £7.5 million pa, and remained in it for far, far longer than he deserved. There's nothing sad or unfair about the situation, and the board know that it's much harder for them to be held to account when the club is concocting a narrative of misty eyed nostalgia. Just get the next decision right you bunch of morons.

JB7

Would of thought all the glory hunters would of fecked off long ago considering we haven't won a major title in 8 years. There's nothing wrong in wanting a manager way out of his league sacked. It's people that wanted him to stay are the irrational ones and don't care about the club. Why should I feel gutted for Ole when he never should of been made permanent manager in the first place? If it was any other manager with no ties to us, this forum would be united in its thoughts but as the club and board have excelled in thrashing out PR bullshit for the last 3 years It's divided the fanbase more than ever which is why I never want to see an ex player anywhere near the job again unless he's proven himself at a lot higher level than Ole has.
Firstly, nobody wanted him to stay, even the most ardent stubborn Ole supporters agreed it was time to change by a few weeks ago.

And as for "dividing the fanbase" the only people at fault for that are the bellends that sit in their little armchairs slating the people that follow the team all over the country (and Europe) for singing him name & saying that they are the ones who don't care about the club, as if they spend hundreds or thousands of pounds a year following the team for no reason.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yeah, let's lose the non-believers. Absolutely indoctrinated.

Smores

Just strange, does anyone else recall such an interview with any manager sacking?

Can't really hold it against him but it just seemed like his pride has been hurt and he wanted to put a positive spin on his record.

End of the day lose our next two which doesn't seem that unlikely and we could be out of the CL and 12-13th in the league. He hasn't really built the foundations, more like order the materials and left them unused.

Pirlo'sBeard

A poor coach but a great man.

I've nothing but respect got him. He did his very best which unfortunately wasn't good enough. It didn't work out but he's left us with some good memories and an excellent squad. The board should have sacked him long ago as he was always going to fight until the end.