Ole’s farewell interview

ash_86

Left me in tears that one. Sad it didn't work out but the high's that Ole's team provided surpassed anyone after the great man comfortably. He'll always be a legend in my eyes.

passtheball

Why is it embarrassing? He's been given a great opportunity by the club and has a connect with the fans. There's no reason for him to bitter.

I don't like the fact that he thinks it's all about friendship, being happy at work etc. It should really be all about trophies and excellence in your football. But I can't begrudge him wanting to speak to fans on the end of his tenure. It's perfectly fine.
It's not about him being bitter, it's about pride. He has no professional pride as a manager, and that is why he would even think of giving that interview instead of thinking of his next managerial job where he would try to prove his doubters wrong. But he has never wanted to be the best - that much has been clear from his 3 years here.

And then there is United as a club whose ambitions seem to be limited to managing gullibe fans' emotions with PR.

All round, an absolute sh*tshow.

EDIT: I just watched the interview again, and Ole talks about the pride he feels at the "runs" the club made under him. This is a Manchester United manager talking about runs of wins and not trophies.

Good f*ckin riddance.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
When has this ever happened before, manager told to leave and then does parting interview officially for club?

Fair play to him though, many managers tend to take digs when they leave a club.
I can't ever remember one. He truly loves the club. Watford was the first time he's received abuse from a section of the hardcore away support. It's no coincidence he's now stepped down. I think he accepted that the situation couldn't continue anymore.

Btw. What has happened to Rodgers with you this season?

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yep they should have had the interviewer, camerman and lighting guys out prowling the streets looking for football managers.
You never now, these guys might believe Camera man and production guys are in charge of recruiting football managers.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest, a farewell interview after being sacked is incredibly cringe... so much of it like as if he's some golden child of the club, so much delusion and time wasted thinking he could work from the board.

Wish him well in life, but he's just not a good manager and we allowed someone incompetent to just live out a personal dream they were woefully under qualified for. Hey I'm a childhood United fan and I'll give my all, can't I play for the club? It'll mean a lot... We're such a weird club these days.

unclemao

Hmmm, so we learnt being a nice guy doesn't make a winning manager. If only he was half as dynamic as he was friendly we might have gotten somewhere instead of stalling without ideas for more than a year

red_sun

Good post.

If there's one thing the Utd leadership seems to have visibly learned from this whole Ole experiment, it's that nostalgia + PR is a potent weapon against the fans. One which, under Ole, they've wielded to excellent effect.
I second this. Even if it was Ole's choice, the top brass at the club were probably rubbing their hands gleefully at the opportunity handed to them. I don't wish anything bad on Ole the person, but we're being played like violins here.

Any press about how the dressing room recently, tactics or the lack of them, and even the slowing down of commercial activity (prior to the pandemic too), the current coaching setup, has been conveniently overshadowed by an admittedly heartstrings-tugging video.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but we've had years under the current owners. When have they been interested in us as a football club first?

If I'm not a top red, that's fine.

NK86

Our online fanbase is genuinely pathetic, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread. Undeserving of success.
Yeah, because Ole just won us the quadruple last season. Some of you saps are what's wrong with our fanbase. The guy was a fantastic player for us, and his contribution was punctuated by THAT goal.

As a manager, he was absolutely out of his depth and were it not for him being a former player, he would have gotten the deserved boot much earlier and many on here who are mourning would be dancing around.

stw2022

It's possible to cherish memories of him as a player and think this whole 'People's Princess' routine is a bit daft. At this rate I'm half expected him to lie in state at half time during the next home match. I'm sure it's sad for him but he wasn't good enough. He worked under a manager who got rid of players regularly who loved the club every bit as much for the same reasons. None of them got an emotional goodbye interview. I'm not saying I'm against it but don't understand the 'how dare you!' outrage directed towards people who think it's all a bit daft

Canagel

Man really said "step aside", like it was a mutual consent thing. :lol: you were sacked mate.

He'sRaldo

Man really said "step aside", like it was a mutual consent thing. :lol: you were sacked mate.
He is also, of course very invested in preserving his legacy. Probably the main reason he agreed to the interview.

Truth is, at the end of this whole ordeal, the only people really worse off are the fans.

Winrar

How fecking stupid do you need to be to not see 6th, 3rd, 2nd as a sign of progress?
League finish isn't much of an indicator of progress if we haven't improved the way we play as a team - we were bailed out more often than not by individual brilliances from Bruno. It also helps that our rivals had their own problems to contend with as with the case of last season.

Of course hindsight is 20/20, but you would think a club like United can see that. It's also why the board is being seen as incompetent.

The Red Thinker

The Caf showing just how many depressing knobs it has accumulated over the years in this thread.

Ole is a fan. A fan who managed the club. He was out of his depth in the end. But to slate the club for showing love to our legend who lifted the depressing state of affairs Mourinho left us with, got us to third then second last season playing some football with soul and spirit, shows you’ve lost touch with reality tbh.

This is the absolute fact. Whoever takes over now will have an enviable squad to play with. Something NONE of the managers before achieved. Leaving the club in a better state than he found it. He deserves some love.

MDFC Manager

It's possible to cherish memories of him as a player and think this whole 'People's Princess' routine is a bit daft. At this rate I'm half expected him to lie in state at half time during the next home match. I'm sure it's sad for him but he wasn't good enough. He worked under a manager who got rid of players regularly who loved the club every bit as much for the same reasons. None of them got an emotional goodbye interview. I'm not saying I'm against it but don't understand the 'how dare you!' outrage directed towards people who think it's all a bit daft
These people are just buying into the narrative the club wants to set, whereas in the real world and at a proper club, he would have been sacked ages ago.

Slysi17

In my view, yes I wanted him gone and got annoyed by him sometimes. But he should be treated with respect. He is a nice guy and a legend of this club who did his best. Good luck Ole. You will always be a Manchester United legend.

stw2022

League finish isn't much of an indicator of progress if we haven't improved the way we play as a team - we were bailed out more often than not by individual brilliances from Bruno. It also helps that our rivals had their own problems to contend with as with the case of last season.

Of course hindsight is 20/20, but you would think a club like United can see that. It's also why the board is being seen as incompetent.
Maybe it wasn't the biggest points difference there's ever been but in terms of quality of each teams comparatively and individually, I struggle to think of a worst team that's finished second in that league.

I know it's fantasy land stuff but put that team against any other team who's finished second in the same league in recent years and I think we'd come out losers every single time. Convincingly too.

MDFC Manager

How fecking stupid do you need to be to not see 6th, 3rd, 2nd as a sign of progress?

Last I checked, we were in 8th position with a trajectory of finishing worse than that. That is certainly not a sign of progress, its regression.

Winrar

Maybe it wasn't the biggest points difference there's ever been but in terms of quality of each teams comparatively and individually, I struggle to think of a worst team that's finished second in that league.

I know it's fantasy land stuff but put that team against any other team who's finished second in the same league in recent years and I think we'd come out losers every single time. Convincingly too.
Again looking back at it retroactively we were saved by so much individual brilliance and relying on moments and passion, that we were lucky to even finish with even 74 points. At the end of last season I was still blind to hoping a club legend would succeed as a manager that I ignored what really was going on.

So it was natural that once the tide really turned against us and we didn't have momentum on our side we would crash and burn like we did in the last month.

90 + 5min

I understand that in a big fanbase people have different opinions on things but there are realy some haters in here. That one is clear. They hate everyone in the club from our previous managers to the last. The same people will keep hating the next and next and next manager. I actually don’t know why they ”support” the club when they hate everything We are.

Once again. A brilliant person have left us. He might not have taken us to trophies but show him respect for the work he has done.

90 + 5min

Again looking back at it retroactively we were saved by so much individual brilliance and relying on moments and passion, that we were lucky to even finish with even 74 points. At the end of last season I was still blind to hoping a club legend would succeed as a manager that I ignored what really was going on.

So it was natural that once the tide really turned against us and we didn't have momentum on our side we would crash and burn like we did in the last month.
If We won because of individual brilliance then We lost by individual misstakes. You can’t have it both ways.

Actually, without individual brilliance No big manager would be big.

MDFC Manager

If We won because of individual brilliance then We lost by individual misstakes. You can’t have it both ways.

I disagree. We've had systemic defensive failure for well over a year now - that is not down to individual mistakes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think they will, he said see you soon. But I think they want to install the new manager first.

The fallout from certain fans would be too much. Honestly think its going to be Poch and Ole working together with Ole in a Director position next year.
Well it's too late now. Ole had his opportunity as permanent manager which means that if he stays then he'll be a huge albatross around the new manager's neck. Things would have been different if he was kept as interim manager only to be given a director role (I'd suggest the one Fletcher has). Ole would take a role similar to what Beppe Baresi had with Inter or Mauro Tassotti at Milan. These people knew the club inside out, they covered multiple roles in it, since they were always involved in it they know what needs to be improved and were already ready to take over as caretaker manager option whenever needed. Once the new manager was signed they could give him a detailed handover as well. If he wanted to keep that person in his coaching staff then great. Mou won the treble at Inter with Baresi at his side. If not then the man could be moved either at director level, youth academy level or as scout. That what happened to Baresi during Mancini time.

Winrar

Both of those statements can be true at the same time, as it is the case here.

Sure, individual brilliance is what ultimately wins you matches, but it has to be accompanied by a system where every player that knows exactly what the manager wants them to do, otherwise we don't have control of our games thus we are more likely to make mistakes.

devilish

If individual brilliance is all that it needs then why the feck do clubs spend so much money in salaries to get the very best managers? In such scenario Liverpool should have hired Gerrard, we should have stuck to Ole while City should have hired Goater. The reality is very different to what you suggest. Coaching and tactics are important. A well drilled team doesn't need so many bodies at the back to close every gap and players wouldn't need to run like headless chickens to win the ball.

el3mel

Man feck you all for complaining. He is an amazing guy, a club legend and he gave the job his absolute best.

One thing I will forever appreciate was that it was never what's good for Ole the manager, it was always what's good for Man Utd in the long term and I very strongly believe he left the club and the squad in a better place than he found it.

Good luck Ole and I hope we see you back in the PL!
The guy rushed players through injury and played them before being fully fit multiple times. He also ran several players into ground without resting them. Of course it was for himself. Silly point that again proves how this club is affected by sentimentality.

Esquire

What a cult. He was nothing special.
He was not good enough. No debate. But he gave everything he had to a club he so clearly loves. He did not articulate himself well but he obviously means United is a family and it’s the bonds that are just as important as everything else. But yes, it’s a cult to you. And you get the club much better than he does.

Esquire

People have treated him appallingly.
I think everyone at the end wanted him out I too don’t understand the venom directed at him. Yes, some will say the interview was cringeworthy for me personally it was classy for the club and him to end things like this. Yes it’s emotional blackmail to trade on his status and nostalgia but FFS give the man some credit for doing his original remit.

The real venom should be directed at frauds like Woodward and leeches like Glazers.

devilish

He was not good enough. No debate. But he gave everything he had to a club he so clearly loves. He did not articulate himself well but he obviously means United is a family and it’s the bonds that are just as important as everything else. But yes, it’s a cult to you. And you get the club much better than he does.
Did he?

A truly committed manager would acknowledge his inexperience and surround himself with experienced coaches rather then his inexperienced mates. When shit hit fan he would get involved in training and coaching. Our manager went on a holiday in the middle of a crisis and expected that everything would just sort out for the Watford game instead.

I love Ole. His goal in the treble is probably the happiest moment I had in football and a highlight to a not a very nice period of my life. He will always be a club legend and the best example of what a model player should be. However his actions as manager is hardly the ones shown by a person committed to the job.

Listar

As touched on in another thread, we have a segment of fans who are the very opposite of RAWKish - but not in a good way (even though they probably think so themselves). They seem to think that having a "ruthless" mentality makes sense for fans - which is bizarre to say the least.

As you say, it's baffling. I don't understand what it is they get out of the whole...experience.

Incessant moaning unless everything is 100% perfect - either overt whining or (which is even more irritating) passive aggressive sulking.

Or what we're seeing plenty of today - mocking other fans for being sentimental, irrational or - God forbid - romantic.

'Cause spending a ridiculous amount of time (and/or money) on what is essentially an entirely pointless, frivolous pursuit should never be about romanticism - or about anything other than...ambition. I swear, some of these characters genuinely believe they're doing us all a favour by upholding some kind of imaginary "standard" (as though they were out there on the pitch themselves).

It's an odd mixture of anti-sentimentality (utterly misplaced) and extreme delusion (they actually believe other fans, who don't share their joyless stance, are harmful - again, as if these too were performing on the pitch or otherwise had a direct impact on the fortunes of the club).

In short, I don't understand them at all - but then I'm sure they don't understand me either.
Most likely they are failures themselves in real life so in this twisted mentality they associate United success to that of their own so they hold United to standard they themselves can’t achieve in real life.

In short, glory hunters.

downunder red

IF we had different owners, if he had better coaches and if he had looked at the teams I picked in the match day thread things could of turned out differently, but alas they didn't.
I just want to say thanks to Ole for giving it his best shot. After the other managers, I started to enjoy watching us again. What happened this season? Well that is for another thread.
Thanks Ole and all the best !!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I especially love this line of argument given that it effectively slaps itself in the face.

That we win and lose due to individual brilliance and mistakes respectively, and let's presume that we do for a moment, fully ties into the idea that we lack excellence in the collective/setup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Most likely they are failures themselves in real life so in this twisted mentality they associate United success to that of their own so they hold United to standard they themselves can’t achieve in real life.

In short, glory hunters.
So we should hold one of the biggest and richest football clubs on the planet to the same standards as common redcafe folk!

In short, no logic whatsoever.

Jackal981

I can see why he wasn’t successful if he thought making friends was an important thing. Fergie would’ve never been successful if that was his mindset.
This. If anyone bother to read Fergie’s autobiography he touched this subject. Ole is too much of a nice guy to be successful here.

Jackal981

Did he?

A truly committed manager would acknowledge his inexperience and surround himself with experienced coaches rather then his inexperienced mates. When shit hit fan he would get involved in training and coaching. Our manager went on a holiday in the middle of a crisis and expected that everything would just sort out for the Watford game instead.

I love Ole. His goal in the treble is probably the happiest moment I had in football and a highlight to a not a very nice period of my life. He will always be a club legend and the best example of what a model player should be. However his actions as manager is hardly the ones shown by a person committed to the job.
His demeanor as our manager has soured him in my eyes. The ultimate nail in the coffin was taking a break in the middle of club crisis. Shows me that he doesnt give a feck. Another thing that soured me that came out today is the board gave him full support to get the best coaching staff available and he declined that because he believes his mates are the best. Cronyism at the best he would rather gave his mates cushy job with big salaries rather than improving the team.

edgecutter

Only ole would do something like this. Can you imagine LVG or Jose sitting to do an interview? At least those guys have some managerial legacy

pacifictheme

Very sad interview and although it was right for him to go I feel very sad about the whole thing. Have found it increasingly difficult to watch united under him, in large part because I didn't want to see him fail. Its been clear for a while that he cares but has gone as far as he can. Clearly loves the club and cared about the job, which I think is more than can be said for his predecessors. Has left us with a very good if not perfect suqad and certainly in better shape than when he got here.

Still a legend for me. Some of the posts in here are embarrassing. Can only assume they are from very young, immature fans.