Ole: “maybe something has to give”

MrSingh2002

How can he say they had a good look over the break when he just churned out a dog shit of a performance?

Just says it all. He hasn't got a scooby. On what works and what doesn't. Even with two whole weeks to make a plan.

stw2022

VDB is going to be asked to wait on the bus for the next game

-Supreme-

He will drop Pogba and Sancho for McFred / Rashford.

We won't see the best of Sancho and VdB until we bring in a proper coach

FatTails

If he is desperate to make something work, then the first thing is to try to take control of the midfield. I am no genius, but I said before the Leicester match that we need to sacrifice one of the attackers and set up differently. We either need three proper midfielders, or for Bruno to play a lot deeper than he currently does. For today, I would've started with Pogba, Matic, and VDB/Mctominay in midfield, and a front three of Ronaldo, Bruno, and Greenwood. Bruno can drift from the left and keep having his free roles this way, Shaw overlaps, AWB plays conservatively to maintain a decent shape and numbers at the back when we are countered (his attacking contribution is minimal anyway).

We are very top heavy but that is no excuse to not set up the team in a way that works. He needs to start being brave and prioritizing a system over the names.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
They have backed each and every single manager. The problem has been a lack of coherent spending.
Ole has been the only one that's really been consistently backed. Under LVG and Jose, the board splurged on starting 11 calibre players when we were out of top 4 and only spent money on squad players when we qualified for the CL. They basically just spent to make sure we didn't lose out on the Adidas money.

Dan_F

I have no idea what he means by that. Dropping Pogba for McTominay is going to achieve nothing.

I will always have nothing but love for Ole, but I don’t feel like he can fix this.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Yep, something has to give. Man United giving a big payday for stupidly renewing his contract.
It is unbelievable how we have incompetent people at every level of management and we still carry on as a big club. Won't be able to do for much longer that's for sure with more oil money pouring in.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's going to drop some attacking players, maybe even Ronnie, and go with a back 5 now.

It's desperate times for Ole and his job.

laughtersassassin

What does more legs even mean?

You played McFred the previous two games and we didn't win those.

Basically man's going to try hail Mary 5 at the back now.

He has no idea

DevTheRed

I think he means about Pogba being dropped.. he isn’t going to be here next year anyway.

If only it was about him resigning.. needs to happen.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Then he doesn't care about United and it is all about a payout.
It will be his final job at this level, he's going to cling it on it all he can. He knows this job is too big for him, but no chance he walks away.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That's what I thought too.

Edit: Would certainly cement his "it's not about me, it's all about the club". But most people would want that contract paid out, understandably.
he's not going to resign

he's 100% referring to dropping big names in favour of less fashionable players

Trequarista10

The lack of coherent spending comes from the lack of coherent club fooballing structure which comes from their design to prioritise their dividends over silverware.

If Ole quits, we just have the same problem.
I agree agree with the bold. We're the only top side without a DoF model. Think it's due to mismanagement rather than penny pinching though, at least the past several seasons. The club and the Glazers would be better off with a DoF model, and hire a head coach who is first and foremost a coach.

Roboc7

Back to sitting deep and trying to counter, Mcfred and maybe even a back three. That’s his comfort zone and might delay the inevitable.

Esquire

What’s he going to do? Drop Ronaldo, Pogba or both? Play only McFred from now on?
Pogba needs to be dropped. I know his fanboys love him and he is a world class talent but it’s been 4 years and I can’t say he has justified his price tag. This is not personal sometimes the player just doesn’t fit the system (see DVB also).

As much as Ronny is going to crap and SAF crying about it, I would rotate him with Cavani. We need Cavani’s pressing.

And FFS playing Sancho at RW. Did we not pay 70m for him to play there? I know Mason is playing well there but surely Greenwood deserves a start at no 9 too?

Play McT with Matic or Fred. As much as we don’t like it, this is what we have at the moment. We need to stabilise our midfield and defence above all else at this moment. If we need to grind out wins so be it.

Ole needs to try something different now cause his plans A and B are not working.

What’s he going to do? Drop Ronaldo, Pogba or both? Play only McFred from now on?
We keep shoe horning pogba into the team when he very, very rarely deserves that. The guy is fecking off on a free, we owe him nothing. If he plays in the next game I'd seriously be thinking that Ole is contractually obliged to play him.

Ronaldo is undroppable but limits how we play.

red4ever 79

I gurantee whatever it is that has to change, wont involve Donny.

Feck me poor Donny. At least he can hold his head up and know he is not part of this shitshow

Legend16

why do we keep bringing Donny VDB to games? he's never playing him. the lad must be shattered watching this and not getting a chance

Walters_19_MuFc

This is what I want to hear. Yes, people will want him to resign, which is understandable. Its a results business and Ole is currently underachieving. However, if he can identify what needs to be changed and we have success from it, then I'm all for it.

Yes, people will argue that it shouldn't have taken this long but he was obviously hoping everything would just click into place. This is a system that, all in all, did pretty well last season, and as a manager, you tend to stick to your tried and trusted. However, for whatever reason, it seems to have gone quite stale, and where we looked pretty dangerous going forward last season, we hardly look like we're going to score this season.

Going forward, I'd want us to try either a 433, 352 or 343 - just something different. If he does that and it doesn't work, then I guess that's when we'd have to start looking for replacements.

Manny

Grammar Police
Can't play Ronaldo, Pogba and Fernandes. There is no system that can accomodate all 3, regardless of manager. I would imagine that's what he's referring to.
Yeah, agree. He's shown them that he's given it a go and its shite.

Plus there's nothing wrong with having strong players coming of the bench. Its what we have been crying out for the last two seasons.

Foxbatt

Steve Bruce could be available soon.;)
You beat me to this. Ex Player. Former Captain and won the League the first time after Sir Matt. The whole DNA of winning the Cup and Double as The Captain. The man who scored the winning goal and the start of Fergie Time. The United way. Who is going to be better than Captain Steve Bruce? We must get him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hopefully we start playing one of Pogba or Bruno, start playing 4-3-3, drop AWB and maybe even Maguire once Varane is back.
Drop AWB? He was our best outfield player today, and has arguably been our most consistent defender so far this season.

moxdevil

Managers rarely resign so I don't see that.

More likely to change to 3 centre backs and bring McFred back. Nice and safe.

Cloud7

The only thing that needs to be given is Ole's resignation letter or his marching orders.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If its dropping a player he is talking about Ronaldo.

He has played Mcfred before in midfield so not playing Pogba is not such a shocker. Pogba has been on the bench before.

Him dropping Ronaldo is something is hard for him that he might feel he has to convince both the fans and the glazers so he made such a comment.

We saw this with Everton. Ronaldo got dropped and everyone turned their back to Ole (arguably even SAF).

Against Everton, whilst Cavani was on the pitch we scored in the first half and started to actually control the match. However when Ronaldo was bought on that control was instantly lost and the goal got scored by Everton even if Ronaldo didn't have a direct influence on the opposition attack - our ability to control the match did suddenly go away for the rest of the match.

This is what I think he might be saying as "they've had a good look to see what has gone wrong lateley".

Maybe I'm wrong and he just wants to be sacked :lol: but I think he is trying a way to "balance Ronaldo".

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
he's not going to resign

he's 100% referring to dropping big names in favour of less fashionable players
Yeah, you're probably right. And he won't have the credibility in the dressing room to pull it off. But he has to react, that much is obvious.