Ole: “maybe something has to give”

Canagel

We cannot carry both Pogba and Ronaldo.

At least Ronaldo is 36 and not a central midfielder.
Pogba isn't being carried by anyone. He is routinely deployed in a midfield 2 that plays behind 4 mostly non existent attackers that do whatever they want and Is constantly taking lashes for not covering for them depsite being outnumbered in the midfield most weeks. And despite that his stats for pressures in the final third are actually quite high.

I wont say too much about Ronaldo because I will get in trouble.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only thing that will change things is him leaving tbh. Yeah we'll sort ourselves out and get back to a top 4 level, probably through going a lot more cautious centrally, but that can't be the level we play at with our squad. We should be dominating teams and competing for all trophies at this point. Ole can't get us that, therefore he has to go.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Don't even think The Dog and Duck would look at him.
Don't think they could afford him. Isn't he one of the highest paid managers in the league? I think only behind Pep and maybe Tuchel.

Another genius move right there...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Balance of the team is critical. Today it was not right at all. I think he is working up to dropping Pogba.

Unfortunately this will start a war especially with what Pogba said today. But unlike the war with Mourinho Pogba’s hand is weak as he is planning to leave on a free anyway.

We will go back to solid, hard to beat, legs in as many positions as possible (where’s DJ when you need him?), playing on the break a bit more.

We could still turn it around but I think it’s going to be messy.
What did Pogba say today?

I think Rashford being back is critical.
He's that one player with absolute raw pace who can turn the play around in a few seconds.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's got nowt to lose. If he wants to turn things around he'll have to be brave otherwise it's rinse and repeat.
I don't know about that. I reckon Ole has a few more bad results in him, would not be surprised he lasts until Spring. Dropping Ronaldo and not winning gets him sack right away I think. He will lose the dressing room in a heartbeat.

If you drop Ronaldo, you have to win. I don't think we will win games, with or without Ronaldo on current form.

I don't think Ole has that in him either, he's a pleaser; he wants everyone to be happy and in harmony no matter the result.

Irrational.

Chances are, he’ll pull another freak result out of thin air and buy himself a further 6 months’ stay of execution. Rinse and repeat.

Flytan

I'm really confused as to why people are blaming Ronaldo as to why we suck. We've looked like legit trash for over 2 years. Long before Ronaldo was here. Yes he looks bad, because the whole squad does.

Pogba or Bruno has to go. Would rather keep pogba playing as Bruno just feels like he plays in a different era but I'm sure that's not a poplar opinion

Thiagoal

Ermmm, yeah. Surely a half decent manager thinks about the balance of a team BEFORE signing new players and picking the match day eleven. That’s actually really embarrassing!

OrcaFat

What did Pogba say today?

I think Rashford being back is critical.
He's that one player with absolute raw pace who can turn the play around in a few seconds.
Pogba said we have to choose a tactic and stick to it. In my view that puts him back to being an option at LAM, competing against Sancho and, yes indeed, Marcus Rashford. Pogba will be lucky to start one game in every two and that will probably lead to some conflict.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pogba said we have to choose a tactic and stick to it. In my view that puts him back to being an option at LAM, competing against Sancho and, yes indeed, Marcus Rashford. Pogba will be lucky to start one game in every two and that will probably lead to some conflict.
It's always a bad sign when players start coming out and saying stuff like that.

FerociousCorgis

Jesus christ what is with people having a hard on with a striker pressuring? How about we set up properly to take advantage of his strengths and actually play as a team. Swear people think if we just have everyone running around full speed we will magically be the best team ever created

Spoony

The People's President
I don't know about that. I reckon Ole has a few more bad results in him, would not be surprised he lasts until Spring. Dropping Ronaldo and not winning gets him sack right away I think. He will lose the dressing room in a heartbeat.

If you drop Ronaldo, you have to win. I don't think we will win games, with or without Ronaldo on current form.

I don't think Ole has that in him either, he's a pleaser; he wants everyone to be happy and in harmony no matter the result.
He's probably here until we've got chance of silverware. Unless he resigns.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think our midfield is that bad. A proper set up could easily utilise the midfield

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They had the whole summer to address the balance of the team. It was as clear as day it was way off as soon as we got Ronaldo over any competent midfielder.

The only way it's resolved is by sticking 3 or 4 of our expensive 'stars' on the bench (because they are all attackers) and playing others who aren't really good enough to be here (because we actually need someone to defend).

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Hopefully him. I'm so tired of seeing him in the dugout. It's become hard to separate the legend of a player with the fraud of a manager, bit depressing really.

Ixion

I wish we were still in the League Cup so we could experiment with a different system. Everything now will be trial by fire.

RooneyLegend

So during the past two weeks they've had a good look at what went wrong but after this result they need to look even deeper? What the feck sort of line is that? :lol:

2 weeks later: We need to look at our entire existence and question what's the actual purpose of it all.
:lol:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's probably here until we've got chance of silverware. Unless he resigns.
No chance Ole resigns, can't see him saying he's not good enough and walk away from it all, after all the backing he got.

Other managers can fail and land top jobs, but for Ole it's over when he loses this job. He's going to hang onto it until Woodward makes that call.

RooneyLegend

Hopefully this means he'll drop Bruno and Ronaldo and play a 4-3-3 . If it doesn't he won't be in the job too much longer. Those players have crippled our ability on the break which we're gonna need since we're going to be playing some big teams. Thankfully Rashford is back who's one of the best big game players in world football.

Red_toad

I don't think our midfield is that bad. A proper set up could easily utilise the midfield
Our pressing players aren’t good enough and our skilled players are easy to play through. Only way it’s going to work is by bringing in new players who are fit for purpose. Pogba is a liability alongside Fred, Scotty or Matic

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

What’s he going to do? Drop Ronaldo, Pogba or both? Play only McFred from now on?
That honestly sounds like he's ready to resign. I stuggle to believe he'd quit given the outrageous sum of money he'd be throwing away if he did, but I'm not sure what else he could mean with a statement like that.

Ixion

More or less saying "We spent the international break trying to figure out what's going wrong and obviously we still don't have a clue"

Thiagoal

More or less saying "We spent the international break trying to figure out what's going wrong and obviously we still don't have a clue"
Yeah. Or you could take it to mean that they took the international break to figure out what the problem was and then still played the same system and players anyway. Whichever the answer is, it doesn’t reflect well on the coaches

Dve

What’s he going to do? Drop Ronaldo, Pogba or both? Play only McFred from now on?
The problem today was not our midfield, although Pogba did not have a good game today. The problem is our defence, and Ole must play his players in form, and right now I´d rather see Bailly and Telles. While I though the criticism of Maguire was over the top at the start of last season, he´s been really bad so far this season. Never seen him doing errors so frequently as he´s doing now, and Shaw is not playing well either. If they are half injured, give them a rest, for God´s sake.

And I´m probably pretty alone on this, but I dear to day it: Ronaldo does not make us a better team.

sparx99

Surely Ronaldo has to give ? We’re no longer a pressing team and after the initial hype has died down he really looks so old all of a sudden.

the difference cavani made in the press when he came on in that CL game was crazy
Ronaldo scored a hat trick for Portugal last week. Make him chances and he’ll score goals. We don’t make chances and now don’t stop the other team making them either.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's not got any idea what to do, you can tell. He's basically going to mess about with it and hope to save his job. Those comments show just how reactive he is, I swear he's even like 2 steps behind our supporters and posters on here when it comes to tactical matters.

If it's true that we're keeping him for 4 years, no matter what, then I'm genuinely at a loss. The level of support for a managerial no-mark is incredible. I love Ole the player and hate how this all makes me feel about him, they're just going to ruin Ole's legacy and a great chance with an amazing team. Sticking with Ole will take us right back to square one because these players won't stick around for ever and we're almost at a laughing stock stage again.

stw2022

Ronaldo has to give? Christ. Some people would probably rather liquidate the club and open up a B&B with the proceeds than admit Ole isn’t up to the job

Silverman

A resignation would really show what a true club legend he is.
He can see it's not working so he steps aside.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Every single one of them has been heavily backed. Time to bring a proper coach.
Moyes was a PL manager for 11 years before joining us. LVG and Jose had won the lot.

We've had proper coaches and it still didn't click.

I honestly don't think it matters who we get. Under the Glazers n Woodward/Arnold era I fear we are always going to be alsorans.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
A resignation would really show what a true club legend he is.
He can see it's not working so he steps aside.
Trouble is that's only half of the issue. Why was Ole hired in first place? The fact he had to come in shows you there's more wrong at this club than just the manager and tactics.

Do you see it changing much under Zidane or Conte? We will see the initial bounce before returning to this. It's been same under every coach post Fergie.

clarkydaz

Just throwing shit at a wall now and seeing what sticks. He doesnt know what he wants or how to get it

sparx99

Jesus christ what is with people having a hard on with a striker pressuring? How about we set up properly to take advantage of his strengths and actually play as a team. Swear people think if we just have everyone running around full speed we will magically be the best team ever created
Lewandowski, Aguero, Benzema etc aren’t the greatest pressers in the world either. Pressing is about the team working as unit. It’s also not the only way of getting the ball back.

Regardless, our biggest problem is giving the ball away and defending in transition. We need to cherish the ball. If we can increase our possession and stop being so wasteful in attack then we won’t have to defend as often.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ronaldo scored a hat trick for Portugal last week. Make him chances and he’ll score goals. We don’t make chances and now don’t stop the other team making them either.
2 of them were pens and it was Luxemborg. But I agree Ronaldo needs service, but he had good chances today.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm really confused as to why people are blaming Ronaldo as to why we suck. We've looked like legit trash for over 2 years. Long before Ronaldo was here. Yes he looks bad, because the whole squad does.

Pogba or Bruno has to go. Would rather keep pogba playing as Bruno just feels like he plays in a different era but I'm sure that's not a poplar opinion
I wouldn't mind seeing Pogba as AM behind Fred and McT/DvB. Bruno is not playing well. He gave the ball away probably more than anyone today and did you see that attempted cross? I think it went into the stands.

Or I real switch would be

Rashford.....Cavani......Greenwood/Sancho
......................Pogba
................Fred.......Bruno

I think Bruno could be a good holding mid if he wanted to. I'm not sure he would want to though.