Ole: “maybe something has to give”

dpansheth

So during the past two weeks they've had a good look at what went wrong but after this result they need to look even deeper? What the feck sort of line is that? :lol:

2 weeks later: We need to look at our entire existence and question what's the actual purpose of it all.
today was his Savilla moment

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That honestly sounds like he's ready to resign. I stuggle to believe he'd quit given the outrageous sum of money he'd be throwing away if he did, but I'm not sure what else he could mean with a statement like that.
It says change of formation to me if anything to 3 at the back. Which in turn means benching at least 4 from Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani and Martial. No chance he will drop Ronaldo.

Ridiculous situation and poor planning to be benching some of those while Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Fred or McTominay are basically must starts to get some balance.

izec

Ole needs 20 games to realise the most basic of tactical things. He is so slow and out of his depth, just like us on the pitch. Painful

Someone

Something
He'll drop Pogba and Sancho. Rashford and Greenwood will start going forward, with Ronaldo or Cavani, and he'll use Fred and McTominay in midfield.

You have to wonder though if he felt that there's a problem during the break, why was today more of the same.

Blood Mage

He'd be an idiot to resign with the contract the Glazers were stupid enough to give him, unless he cares that much about his reputation which I'd respect.

Water Melon

A resignation would really show what a true club legend he is.
He can see it's not working so he steps aside.
He will not resign. He wants money, and he will get it one way or the other. He loves money more than he loves the Club. He he'd rather earn 15 million quid and see us win feck all under him than resign. The myth needs to die. Ole is just another manager, but unlike top managers he is out of his depth.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Moyes was a PL manager for 11 years before joining us. LVG and Jose had won the lot.

We've had proper coaches and it still didn't click.

I honestly don't think it matters who we get. Under the Glazers n Woodward/Arnold era I fear we are always going to be alsorans.
Jose is managing Roma with one leg in retirement. LVG retired right after us. Ole will probably go back in Norway after us while Moyes is a midtable manager and nothing more.

The problem obviously runs deeper, but our manager choices don't help one bit. Not a single, one of them was a progressive, young coach in his pomp.

Flytan

I wouldn't mind seeing Pogba as AM behind Fred and McT/DvB. Bruno is not playing well. He gave the ball away probably more than anyone today and did you see that attempted cross? I think it went into the stands.

Or I real switch would be

Rashford.....Cavani......Greenwood/Sancho
......................Pogba
................Fred.......Bruno

I think Bruno could be a good holding mid if he wanted to. I'm not sure he would want to though.
Bruno is too rash to be relied on in a position like that but yes I would like to see Sancho on the right for a few games without him constantly switching sides.

Really like cavani too but not sure how we fit him unless we give up on true wingers

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole and balance don't work well together. He first bought Maguire for a looping 80m despite being very similar to Lindelof and quite frankly he is nowhere near to that price tag. He added AWB whose got zero creativity upfront, James ie a runner whose shit against low blocks. He then went on buying Bruno who was a superb signing but meant the end of Pogba at the club. This year he tried to repair the expensive mess he created in defense by signing Varane and he also added Heaton (despite United already having DDG, Hendo and Grant) Sancho and Ronaldo. The latter two are very attacking minded players who would join an army of attacking minded players such as Cavani, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, VDB and Martial. Yet United remained with the same old McFred two players who are mid table at best.

The result is a defense that keeps leaking goals despite us signing a shitload amount of players, a non existent midfield and a frustrated forward line who is starved of any form of structure and service.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
At the point of we are, it doesn't matter who plays and who doesn't. Our issues go far beyond the starting 11.
Whatever this coaching setup tries, the players aren't responding to it

GMoore23

As much as I loved seeing him back banging the goals in, Ronaldo really has fecked up the balance of the team. None of our other players are playing like they did before he signed. Overall a lot of them appear more nervous playing with him, almost afraid of making mistakes. In the first couple of games they looked star struck.

Bruno skied his penalty obviously feeling Ronaldo's presence and hasn't been scoring, he seems to be preoccupied with finding Ronaldo at all costs now. Today he had a great shooting opportunity but went for a weird looping cross directed at Ronaldo instead.

Greenwood hasn't being looking as comfortable either, he has been a tad more selfish recently as Bruno is always looking for Ronaldo while Ronaldo goes for goal with every half chance. Greenwood's been left with no choice but to create chances for himself and when it doesn't come off Ronaldo is seen throwing his arms up in the air.

McTominay is no longer striding forward with his box to box runs and it appears he's been instructed to play a much more reserved game now. Brian Robson has also commented on this and I agree with him.

Cavani suits us so much more as a striker, Bruno is able to play as a second striker almost with Cavani in the side and Greenwood/Rashford are able to cut in and get in behind the defense much more often. Mctominay plays with much more freedom also with Cavani up top as Cavani is always pressing and working his balls off helping the team.

JPB

uh... isn't that question what he is supposed to answer/address over the years???

my god, he's actually clueless.
Exactly, he's asking questions that he should have the answer for. He hasn't got a clue. He's completely fecking lost. I felt like laughing and crying at the same time when I read that quote.

izec

Jose is managing Roma with one leg in retirement. LVG retired right after us. Ole will probably go back in Norway after us while Moyes is a midtable manager and nothing more.

The problem obviously runs deeper, but our manager choices don't help one bit. Not a single, one of them was a progressive, young coach in his pomp.
I can guarantee you with Pep, Tuchel or Klopp, we'd be in a title race. Liverpool struck gold with Klopp, they were shite before him, except that one season with Rodgers, where Suarez was carrying them.

We are hiring noobs( in the hope of getting long term stability, Fergie light) or past it managers for quick success. Ole will disappear, and none of the other 3 have done anything since. The board has no clue, just like extending contracts randomly at the worst times startegically.it just shows you how inept they are.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
At the point of we are, it doesn't matter who plays and who doesn't. Our issues go far beyond the starting 11.
Whatever this coaching setup tries, the players aren't responding to it
Maybe playing players who have only had one training session before the game would help that a bit. Along with some half-decent tactics.

buckooo1978

I'd he wants to give himself a chance he should be starting pressing players like Cavani, Bruno, Rashford and Lingard the next few games. The team needs to be working a lot harder.

The tactics bit is beyond him and his team. What he can do is getting them matching teams for effort.

Think it's too little too late though and if he dropped Ronaldo for a few games he can expect blowback

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Glazers won't employ one. Fans will continue to blame the managers chosen. Rinse and repeat.

More wrong with this club than Ole. Heck he wouldn't even have been given the job otherwise would he? They turned to him in desperation.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I can guarantee you with Pep, Tuchel ir Klopp, we'd be in a title race. Liverpool struck gold with Klopp, they were shite before him, except that one season with Rodgers, where Suarez was carrying them
Yeah, agree. And funnily enough, Liverpool in their barren years also had the same problem. I mean, Souness, Hodgson, Dalglish, Evans.. Some atrocious appointments going against Fergie. Klopp absolutely transformed them and that is what a brilliant coach will do.

We are chosing the wrong managers and to make things worse, we are also giving them too much time.

His grand plan for changes is that we might need 'more legs'.

“Lately we have not been in great form, lost too many points and that is something we have to look at. We might have to change, do we need more legs in there? I have got many good players. Fred, Edinson Cavani, you miss them."

Organised press? Nah, just run around more. Defensive shielding? I'd prefer to just run. Attacking system? Run.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Everything is just pure vibes isn’t it? What’s wrong? Who knows!? Guess we’ll try something else then and see if that does… though not anything tactically revolutionary or anything, probably just drop some forward players for some other forwards players and see what happens

good times

Ollie Derbyshire

Not sure why a lot of posters are saying Ronaldo is the issue with the in balance to the team, he’s only been here for what 5 games and we‘ve played crap for years. Why were we so unbalanced before he signed then?

I’m no Ronaldo fan boy and if he isn’t scoring he’s no good to us but he isn’t making us unbalanced at all, Pogba makes us unbalanced, Matic, Fred & McT not being good enough make us unbalanced, buying players, VDB & Sancho, and not playing them correctly makes us unbalanced. Put them all together and the manager/coaching staff doing it make us unbalanced.

The only time we’ve look balanced in years was when Pogba was injure, unfortunately he’s our biggest issue.

sparx99

One question I’ve been asking myself since Fergie retired is ‘how are we trying to score goals?’

For the last 7-8 years far too often the answer is ‘I have no idea’. With other top teams and lesser teams tbf it’s much more obvious. City and Liverpool score the same type of goals week in week out. Other teams like Southampton press really high. Some lump it up. Some counter attack.

We lack quality crossing for Cavani and Ronaldo. We lack speed in our passing to work our way through. Much of success last season came from our wide forwards running at their full backs but that’s inherently inconsistent.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Then he doesn't care about United and it is all about a payout.
What an absurd statement. OGS clearly cares about this club. I can't think of thing he has done that points to anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually resigned either. He wont yet, but he is the one man i actually believe could do it if he saw that he couldn't fix what needed to be fixed to get United back to where it was.

GMoore23

Ronaldo scored a hat trick for Portugal last week. Make him chances and he’ll score goals. We don’t make chances and now don’t stop the other team making them either.
He scored a hat trick against Luxembourg. In club terms that's like a Hat trick against Shrewsbury.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
How about you give the players a chance….a platform to go out and perform from. Throwing players under the bus now, when he’s happy to take wins against Wolves and West Ham, seems a little desperate if I’m honest. Some of these players have gotten you out of jail plenty of times. How often have we looked like a better team than the opposition? His tactics have only ever worked as underdogs. I think lashing out at players after a defeat like this is a poor move. We’ve won plenty of games terribly and those were the times to say we need to be better.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What an absurd statement. OGS clearly cares about this club. I can't think of thing he has done that points to anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually resigned either. He wont yet, but he is the one man i actually believe could do it if he saw that he couldn't fix what needed to be fixed to get United back to where it was.
If he cared, he would realise he is not up to the job, that his coaches are not up to the job. I would respect him for that. Kevin Keegan quit the England job because he didn't think he was good enough to do it and he was a better coach and manager than Ole.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Jesus christ what is with people having a hard on with a striker pressuring? How about we set up properly to take advantage of his strengths and actually play as a team. Swear people think if we just have everyone running around full speed we will magically be the best team ever created
Agreed. One or two players, especially your centre forward, can be accommodated. Salah and Mane’s pressing stats are several times Ronaldo’s, but still very low relatively.

What’s not sustainable is having an entire front three who don’t track back or press, an absolute mad dog at 10 who runs everywhere, then a back six who are completely exposed and easily outnumbered in certain areas.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ole is the third best paid manager in the league, based on absolutely no merit during his career. He has credentials of managing in farmers league, relegating Cardiff and winning diddly-squat with United after spending nearly half a billion.

He will never resign and enjoy a big severance package.

izec

It is MASSIVE lack of quality in our midfield. The part of the freakin team that literally is supposed to glew the team together. Another manager will not do much better witht the current squad. I don't care that we have great attackers when they don't get shit to work with.
Ole doesnt care about midfielders, they only need to have legs and run around. He'd bench prime Xavi for Fred, as he has no uses to the way he wants to play.

If Ole would see the midfield as important, he'd have brought a player in instead of Sancho. He didn't, he is stuck in the 00's and thinks bringing in forwards as subs will get him goals if needed. He has no clue. What you think of our midfield is not what he thinks about it, as for him, they are only there to do the dirty work, and not for playmaking and positioning reasons. All about energy and running, closing the gaps and getting to the second balls. But what they do with the ball is not a priority for him. Otherwise, he would have addressed it first thing in the summer.

The player we get most linked with is Rice, no susprise, and he wont solve our midfield issues. He would make us a bit more solid defensively, but would be ultimately run to the ground and not good enough on the ball, in our system anyway. And he would wonder what is wrong and why it isnt working.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
His learning curve has been 0. Still makes the same mistakes and cant change up things

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I know you think you’re making a point here, but what I said isn’t mutually exclusive with him being a bum and not good enough. the attachment some fans, journalists and pundits and potentially people within the hierarchy of the club have to him is prolonging something that should have been done a while ago. Ole’s appointment was rather emotional and that’s partially because he’s an ex-United player.
It's irrelevant, we held onto Moyes far, far too long. Van Gaal we were cruel but honestly probably still too long, Mourinho had to go full sabotage mode to get sacked. It's not because he's lovely Ole, it's because the board are bad at choosing coaches, it's undeniable. So thanks for the patrony but please feel free to swivel.

Varun

Staff
It is MASSIVE lack of quality in our midfield. The part of the freakin team that literally is supposed to glew the team together. Another manager will not do much better witht the current squad. I don't care that we have great attackers when they don't get shit to work with.
That's a load of bollocks. Sure, our midfield isn't the best but Ole still has Bruno Pogba Matic Fred VDB and McTominay to pick from. Pool spank teams left right and center with Milner and Henderson in the middle ffs. We can get better player at CM, 100% we can but Ole has no fkin clue how to use even the ones we have. Hardly a shock given he's on record saying people complicate the game too much talking abt 6s and 8s.