Ole: “maybe something has to give”

sparx99

4-2-3-1 isn’t unworkable. Bayern play that way (not sure about this season but previously) and they’ve had lots of success both domestically and in Europe.

I do wonder what if playing inverted forwards in Greenwood and Rashford/Sancho along with an attacking midfielder in Bruno is more of the problem. If you look at teams with inverted forwards like Pep’s Barca team or PSG or City they tend to play a 3-man midfield. This allows space for the forwards to come inside to the attacking midfield position and leaves room for overlapping full backs while having the 3-man midfield to cover for the attacking full backs.

If you look at Bayern playing 4-2-3-1 they play Muller similarly to Bruno’s role with us. However they have typically played Sane and Gnabry on their strong side stretching play.

We seem to be squeezing too many attacking players into central areas which makes it easy to defend by setting up narrowly. This forces us to push the full backs forward (who lack quality delivery) and then when our attacks break down we can be counter attacked down the flanks. This is compounded by playing only a 2-man midfield.

Considering the weakness in AWB and Shaw in terms of delivery we shouldn’t want them crossing too often. Instead tell them to sit back and play cautiously supporting the 2-man midfield. Then swap Greenwood and Sancho. Get them playing high and wide stretching play. This will create room for Bruno in the no10 position and also get Sancho and Greenwood to the byline to square the ball for Ronaldo in the box.

Alternatively, if we are going to rotate then play 3-man midfield then the attacking players in there need to cover for the attacking full backs. We should also then play Telles and Dalot because of their superior attacking abilities. Fred and McTominay aren’t horribly suited to play a box to box role alongside a proper defensive midfielder in the Henderson/Wijnaldum mould but we don’t really have the Fabinho/Fernandinho type to sit.

Get In Scholesy

Oh absolutely. But however structured we get, we still need at least some attackers that will work hard and track back. Just playing a load of luxury players, however talented, is never going to win us anything.
Definitely, I agree with you. There has to be a balance of both and given the last 8 years, we have found that very difficult to come by.

Get In Scholesy

Maybe, looking at this tweet we need legs around Ronaldo and clearly Greenwood ain't it

Yikes.

We gotta demand more of some players. I think Mason is still young enough for it to be drilled into him. I think he is our best attacking option at times, can’t drop him out the side for too long in my opinion.

But ultimately it should always be what’s best for the side.

Sviken

We can buy the best DM and RB on the market and we'd still look absolutely pathetic. The problems run far deeper than the players. You have teams like Brighton, Brentford, Leicester who play far more attractive and cohesive football than ours with players that cost overall less than what we paid for Pogba. Chelsea has a team of kids playing in defense and they're playing at a far greater level than our defense who look like amateurs that just stepped on the field for the first time yesterday morning. It's not the players, never has been. The manager is the most important position in football and on that front we're dreadful. You saw what happened in 2013 when Moyes, who is arguably a better manager than Ole, took us from champions to 7th place. Nothing really was changed about the squad except the manager and coaching staff and the difference was staggering.

We need a management team that actually knows what the feck they're doing. Ole seems like a deer stuck in the headlights. "just go out and enjoy yourself, lads" doesn't work. Look at how Klopp and Guardiola speak about tactics down to the miniscule of details and look at our manager who is all about "passion", tackles and "hard work". That's simply not gonna cut it.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I’d part with him now for an elite manager, but… it’s not all his fault. It’s Woody, it’s Glazers, it’s the backroom team. It’s the players. It’s the way things are, sadly. I’ll take no joy in his leaving nor have I much faith in a new dawn under the likes of Conte or Zidane

RedCheekz

He has to go. As much as we love him for past heroics it’s time to part. We ain’t winning nothing with him as manager. Chelsea let lampard go who was more of a legend to their club then ole is to us. We ain’t winning nothing with ole as manager.
Get conte in, maybe not best option long term but he will get results in short term and definitely will get more out of these players then ole is currently doing.

littleman

I’d part with him now for an elite manager, but… it’s not all his fault. It’s Woody, it’s Glazers, it’s the backroom team. It’s the players. It’s the way things are, sadly. I’ll take no joy in his leaving nor have I much faith in a new dawn under the likes of Conte or Zidane
I don't think any of us are quite able to process what one person can do to change everything. Just like Bruno galvanized us for 2 years, a single manager can change everything. That's why they're so important. And it's also incredibly difficult to find one who is really special, and be able to tease their contribution away from the team.

Klopp and Tuchel being able to recreate their magic and achievements from club to club is clear testament to their strength.

JB7

Maybe he could start picking the goalkeeper best suited to our defenders and style of play. That would be a start.

Dante

Average bang
First XI
Rashford--Ronaldo
Bruno
Shaw--------------Pogba---------Matic--------------Lingard
Varane--------Maguire----McTominay
DDG

Second XI
Cavani--Greenwood
Sancho
Telles--------------VDB---------Fred--------------Dalot
Bailly-----Lindelof----(AWB)
Henderson
Feck it. We need to try something radical. Even though we don't really have enough defenders to pull it off.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Funny to see so many formations here even after realizing that Ole wouldn't ditch the 4231 even if his job depended on it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wait, wait, wait...did i got this right? After 3 years in charge, 500 mil spent on HIS players, he needs 2 months two understand what is he doing wrong? And not just thst; what about games before break? They don't count?
Damn, this guy really knows how to buy time
Bingo. We'll see a lot more of this as he pitches new reasons to buy time. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a shift in formation which will of course require time and patience again.

Eddy_JukeZ

Drop Ronaldo and return to the free flowing quality we saw last season
This has to be a WUM right?

People actually believe we were a swash-buckling attacking side without Ronaldo last season?

We had shocking performances last season without Ronaldo too. The Brighton game in which Bruno scored a last minute pen was one of the flukiest wins I've ever seen. That's just 1 example.

amolbhatia50k

Maybe, looking at this tweet we need legs around Ronaldo and clearly Greenwood ain't it

The problem with that is that Greenwood is usually the best of our front three. Even today aside from the goal in the first half his link up play was very and he was the only goal threat.

croadyman

Would say change his stubborn ways but why bother asking for something that won't happen

Dante

Average bang
Funny to see so many formations here even after realizing that Ole wouldn't ditch the 4231 even if his job depended on it.
He's played 4-3-3, 4-diamond-2 and 5-3-2 at various points in his time here.

He also states in the thread title that “maybe something has to give”. If that doesn't indicate an openness to ditching his old ways then nothing does.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He's played 4-3-3, 4-diamond-2 and 5-3-2 at various points in his time here.

He also states in the thread title that “maybe something has to give”. If that doesn't indicate an openness to ditching his old ways then nothing does.
He speaks. His actions says otherwise.

M16Red

4-2-3-1 isn’t unworkable. Bayern play that way (not sure about this season but previously) and they’ve had lots of success both domestically and in Europe.

I do wonder what if playing inverted forwards in Greenwood and Rashford/Sancho along with an attacking midfielder in Bruno is more of the problem. If you look at teams with inverted forwards like Pep’s Barca team or PSG or City they tend to play a 3-man midfield. This allows space for the forwards to come inside to the attacking midfield position and leaves room for overlapping full backs while having the 3-man midfield to cover for the attacking full backs.

If you look at Bayern playing 4-2-3-1 they play Muller similarly to Bruno’s role with us. However they have typically played Sane and Gnabry on their strong side stretching play.

We seem to be squeezing too many attacking players into central areas which makes it easy to defend by setting up narrowly. This forces us to push the full backs forward (who lack quality delivery) and then when our attacks break down we can be counter attacked down the flanks. This is compounded by playing only a 2-man midfield.

Considering the weakness in AWB and Shaw in terms of delivery we shouldn’t want them crossing too often. Instead tell them to sit back and play cautiously supporting the 2-man midfield. Then swap Greenwood and Sancho. Get them playing high and wide stretching play. This will create room for Bruno in the no10 position and also get Sancho and Greenwood to the byline to square the ball for Ronaldo in the box.

Alternatively, if we are going to rotate then play 3-man midfield then the attacking players in there need to cover for the attacking full backs. We should also then play Telles and Dalot because of their superior attacking abilities. Fred and McTominay aren’t horribly suited to play a box to box role alongside a proper defensive midfielder in the Henderson/Wijnaldum mould but we don’t really have the Fabinho/Fernandinho type to sit.
Great Post.

I think Mctominay could do that sitting role, but that's its really, Bruno is much to forward thinking to play in a three and Pogbas (who think was okay last game) has low defensive positioning.

hobbers

The absolute most he means by that is that he'll drop Sancho for Fred and Pogba will go back on the wing.

SirScholes

New manager is going to need to be backed in the transfer market. Will be interested to see if the Glazers will do it.
No they don’t, there is a winning squad right there!
Also, ole has been backed significantly

im not a glazier fan at all, but, they’ve spent a shit ton of money or the club has on transfers. Managers have been backed, and so far they have fluffed their lines

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe we could try something like this. The only way to solve this midfield, is to outnumbers the opponents, there's simply no other way to do it.
Will have to give up our attackers:

De Gea
Lindelof Varane Maguire
AWB VDB Mctominay Pogba Shaw
Bruno
Ronaldo

Ronaldo - I can't see any scenario where he won't be starting games, unless the manager want to get himself sacked, he is too big to be dropped. But he will provide us lots of goals if the team provide him services, there won't be any doubt of this. The problem is, he just don't press at all, so we will need others to do the work for him.

Bruno - would play him as second striker from now on. With him taking up our AM role previously, it is actually a disaster for our midfield, I really think he is part of problem for our very poor midfield play, as he moves/stays too further up the pitch and involves very little in our build up play. But he is great at providing final balls and scoring goals, he is still the biggest assists for us.

Greenwood - he could be great backup for Ronaldo, or rotate with Bruno and moves further up front, or make a great impact subs. It will be big loss without him on the pitch, but we have to fix our midfield, that's our top top priority.

Rashford - I think he could rotate with Bruno and moves further up front, and make a great impact subs. His pace would be great assists, but unfortunately we have to sacrifice our our wing forward players to pack more numbers in midfield.

Cavani - he could be great backup for Ronaldo, or rotate with Bruno and moves further up front, or make a great impact subs. I think his pressing is very valuable to the team, but he seems having some fitness issues too.

Sancho - put him to our reserve. He doesn't deserve to be anywhere near our first team as of now. 0 contribution in our attack after 10 games. Totally useless.

Martial - bench warmer, nothing more nothing less.

VDB - play him instead of Fred, he is good at passing the ball around, and offering us much more in build up play than Fred.

Last edited:
"We weren't good enough with second balls, 50-50s, the things that make you earn a right to win a game of football.

"We spoke about that today before the game, this is a game you have to win loads of them and unfortunately, we couldn't get the 50-50s turning our way."

He really does talk like we're Burnley... like everything on a football pitch is purely the result of how hard you try (we don't btw) and how lucky you get with 50/50s.

Nothing about controlling a game, an organised team press, defensive positioning, an actual functional attack.

gajender

Maybe we could try something like this. The only way to solve this midfield, is to outnumbers the opponents, there's simply no other way to do it.

De Gea
Lindelof Varane Maguire
Bruno
Ronaldo

Ronaldo - I can't see any scenario where he won't be starting games, unless the manager want to get himself sacked, he is too big to be dropped. But he will provide us lots of goals if the team provide him services, there won't be any doubt of this. The problem is, he just don't press at all, so we will need others to do the work for him.

Bruno - would play him as second striker from now on. With him taking up our AM role previously, it is actually a disaster for our midfield, I really think he is part of problem for our very poor midfield play, as he moves/stays too further up the pitch and involves very little in our build up play. But he is great at providing final balls and scoring goals, he is still the biggest assists for us.

Greenwood - he could be great backup for Ronaldo, or rotate with Bruno and moves further up front, or make a great impact subs. It will be big loss without him on the pitch, but we have to fix our midfield, that's our top top priority.

Rashford - I think he could rotate with Bruno and moves further up front, and make a great impact subs. His pace would be great assists, but unfortunately we have to sacrifice our our wing forward players to pack more numbers in midfield.

Cavani - he could be great backup for Ronaldo, or rotate with Bruno and moves further up front, or make a great impact subs. I think his pressing is very valuable to the team, but he seems having some fitness issues too.

Sancho - put him to our reserve. He doesn't deserve to be anywhere near our first team as of now. 0 contribution in our attack after 10 games. Totally useless.

VDB - play him instead of Fred, he is good at passing the ball around, and offering us much more in build up play than Fred.
How about actually doing some quality work in training rather than just putting players on field without any actual plan and just trying different formations and hoping somehow it would work, unfortunately it mostly doesn't even if you have the quality we have .

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Of course they are conceding far too many goals. Maguire not match fit today, Varane out. Wan Bissaka has limitations. I thought midfield played reasonably well today, Pogba and Matic (till he ran out of steam). Tashford looks sharp. Ronaldo has unbalanced the team IMO. May all be academic if he can’t turn results around.

amolbhatia50k

De Gea
Lindelof Varane Maguire
Bruno
Ronaldo

Greenwood should not be dropped though. He's been too good this season to be backup.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
McFred only midfield

No Pogba/Bruno starting together with CR7

Ronaldo impact sub more often

Expect to see more playing time for Lingard, Cavani and Rashford

Those would be my guesses

NK86

That whole post-match interview seemed like Ole is the one asking questions rather than the one answering with solutions. He is telling things like "if it happens once, it can be attributed to luck but these performances have been regular and we need to understand why."

I mean, that's what a pundit would say after analysing our performances. That's what we are saying that it's not good enough and it's a trait now as to how bad we are. What's the cause is what we want to know and Ole seems as clueless about it as the rest of us. Absolutely crazy that a manager in an interview seems so devoid of ideas and causes of our issues. Gives me a sense that he is done here and he knows it.

Sviken

That whole post-match interview seemed like Ole is the one asking questions rather than the one answering with solutions. He is telling things like "if it happens once, it can be attributed to luck but these performances have been regular and we need to understand why."

I mean, that's what a pundit would say after analysing our performances. That's what we are saying that it's not good enough and it's a trait now as to how bad we are. What's the cause is what we want to know and Ole seems as clueless about it as the rest of us. Absolutely crazy that a manager in an interview seems so devoid of ideas and causes of our issues. Gives me a sense that he is done here and he knows it.
He's not lying. He probably knows just as much as the rest of us what makes a good team. It's one thing to watch from a distance, whether you're a player or a fan, its' another thing entirely to implement it correctly. It also doesn't help that he continues to persist, whether he has any choice in the matter or not, with Carrick and McKenna who are woefully out of their depth.

His comments alone yesterday were a sackable offence at any big club not named Barca, but at least they have an excuse in the fact they're financially destroyed and are unable to sack Koeman (who is their version of Ole)

yipthatman

The problem with that is that Greenwood is usually the best of our front three. Even today aside from the goal in the first half his link up play was very and he was the only goal threat.
This says it all really. Yes he is the best finisher in training blah blah but in actual games, most of his shots are tame and right at the keeper (or he takes the shot when he should pass). Compare our front 3s finishing to Liverpools front 3. Its coaching, simple as. If Klopp had our front 3 they would be banging goals in.

Oles tactics for the attackers seems to be 'go out there and express yourself lads, remember 1999, remember Fergie' which good strikers can do but they also need decent coaching and fresh ideas. If they feel that they are not being led by a good manager discontent will spread like wild fire in the dressing room.

These lads clearly like Ole but they also have careers to think of. See how much they like him when we are fighting for top 6 and the Europa league. It's mad that we have to wait for this before action is taken. He is not good enough, most people know this in the country. Rival fans are buzzing that we gave him a fresh contract. Says it all really.

the_cliff

Ole's post match interviews really aren't a cause for optimism are they. I mean it seems he's as clueless as the fans are, maybe this, maybe that, we need to understand why, blah blah blah. Don't know how the players react to seeing their manager talking like that.

amolbhatia50k

This says it all really. Yes he is the best finisher in training blah blah but in actual games, most of his shots are tame and right at the keeper (or he takes the shot when he should pass). Compare our front 3s finishing to Liverpools front 3.
He's had an excellent season so far. And there's no player whose every shot is lethal. But of course we have a manager who isn't good enough that I agree with

yipthatman

He's had an excellent season so far. And there's no player whose every shot is lethal. But of course we have a manager who isn't good enough that I agree with
He is joint 5th on the premier league top scorers chart with 4 goals from 8 matches and 50% accuracy. Brilliant? He is OK at this level. Maybe at academy level or in the future brilliant, but not at the moment.

amolbhatia50k

He is joint 5th on the premier league top scorers chart with 4 goals from 8 matches and 50% accuracy. Brilliant? He is OK at this level. Maybe at academy level or in the future brilliant, but not at the moment.
Well he's been our best attacker so there's that. In a disjointed and poorly managed team. Joint 5th at a young age, playing from wide and contributing a lot of our general play, keep it going Greenwood.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
How about actually doing some quality work in training rather than just putting players on field without any actual plan and just trying different formations and hoping somehow it would work, unfortunately it mostly doesn't even if you have the quality we have .
As long as we have Ole as our manager, we won’t be improving much from our training.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Greenwood should not be dropped though. He's been too good this season to be backup.
Sure, but then we will be outnumbered and outplayed in midfield again. Something has to be given in, before we would able to buy new reinforcement in midfield.