Ole: “maybe something has to give”

littleman

We don't need a manager who is just figuring this out after 3 years. He should have been ahead of these issues. Apparently he and his shit team (Phelan, Carrick & McKenna) are seemingly getting aware of these problems slower than the fanbase are.

It's shocking.

I think the ultimate litmus test is just whether there's any demand for Ole and the lucky shites Phelan Carrick McKenna outside of MUFC. I can't imagine a top club eager to snap any of them up. We are a charity. A business feeding nostalgia to its fans.

gajender

As long as we have Ole as our manager, we won’t be improving much from our training.
Sure, but then we will be outnumbered and outplayed in midfield again. Something has to be given in, before we would able to buy new reinforcement in midfield.
It simply doesn't matter who we play unfortunately it's no longer the question of two or three man midfield we have been clueless on field for long time Under Solskjaer it's not gonna change with formation change .

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It simply doesn't matter who we play unfortunately it's no longer the question of two or three man midfield we have been clueless on field for long time Under Solskjaer it's not gonna change with formation change .
Sure, but the sad reality is, we won’t sack Ole any time soon, maybe until we loss something like 10 games in a row, or mathematically impossible to finish top 4. Meanwhile we still have a season to play, something has to be done to lessen the damage.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sure, but then we will be outnumbered and outplayed in midfield again. Something has to be given in, before we would able to buy new reinforcement in midfield.
It just seems we have both planned badly and and don't have the manager to make it work with these set of players. In the end q new manager who has quality as a tactician is needed. Then well have a better idea of how to set this team up.

tenpoless

And the gift is what you get by givin' more than you receive. Give away the position to someone else, appoint Ole as one of them transfer comittee. Win win.

Bulldog United

"We weren't good enough with second balls, 50-50s, the things that make you earn a right to win a game of football.

"We spoke about that today before the game, this is a game you have to win loads of them and unfortunately, we couldn't get the 50-50s turning our way."

He really does talk like we're Burnley... like everything on a football pitch is purely the result of how hard you try (we don't btw) and how lucky you get with 50/50s.

Nothing about controlling a game, an organised team press, defensive positioning, an actual functional attack.
The 50-50s tend to go for the team that wants it more. It's an important detail. That said.... you can't just sit there and hope the attitude might improve, sometimes you have to send a message by pulling a big name off (or three). Ole is far too passive, far too trusting of his favourites, and it's gonna cost him the best job he'll ever have in football management.

When Sir Alex was in charge, it was almost never in doubt which team wanted it more in any football match contested between Manchester United and some other team. The players had it drilled into them the minimum required was maximum effort every time they pulled on our shirt. Sometimes equally talented teams matched our commitment, and those were our closest and toughest battles, but most of the time we outfought and outshone every team, every weekend. NOT ANYMORE.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The 50-50s tend to go for the team that wants it more. It's an important detail. That said.... you can't just sit there and hope the attitude might improve, sometimes you have to send a message by pulling a big name off (or three). Ole is far too passive, far too trusting of his favourites, and it's gonna cost him the best job he'll ever have in football management.

When Sir Alex was in charge, it was almost never in doubt which team wanted it more in any football pitch contested between Manchester United and some other team. The players had it drilled into them the minimum required was maximum effort every time they pulled on our shirt. Sometimes equally talented teams matched our commitment, and those were our closest and toughest battles, but most of the time we outfought and outshone every team, every weekend.
It's not just about wanting. Leicester are a better organized football team than us. Live suddenly started pressing like maniacs when Klopp joined. Pep teams have mastered the art of winning the ball quickly in between spells of hogging possession. Of course one is more willing to break themselves for a manager who inspires but setting up a team that works efficiently (not just hard) is a skill.

Bulldog United

It's not just about wanting. Leicester are a better organized football team than us. Live suddenly started pressing like maniacs when Klopp joined. Pep teams have mastered the art of winning the ball quickly in between spells of hogging possession. Of course one is more willing to break themselves for a manager who inspires but setting up a team that works efficiently (not just hard) is a skill.
Leicester were VERY impressive it has to be said. We were bloody awful, but no doubt their commitment to following a well drilled plan played a big part in our own failings on the pitch.

dal

It’s Pogba, I think he’s being forced to play him.

Ralph1386

Leicester were VERY impressive it has to be said. We were bloody awful, but no doubt their commitment to following a well drilled plan played a big part in our own failings on the pitch.
We have a better squad than them but they just have the better manager. The same can be said of every single team we dropped points against, including Young Boys.

Bulldog United

We have a better squad than them but they just have the better manager. The same can be said of every single team we dropped points against, including Young Boys.
I was more impressed with Leicester than anyone else we've struggled against this season. Our own dismal performances have been our most regrettably consistent feature. Ultimately the blame for this will always fall on the manager.

buckooo1978

We don't need a manager who is just figuring this out after 3 years. He should have been ahead of these issues. Apparently he and his shit team (Phelan, Carrick & McKenna) are seemingly getting aware of these problems slower than the fanbase are.

It's shocking.

I think the ultimate litmus test is just whether there's any demand for Ole and the lucky shites Phelan Carrick McKenna outside of MUFC. I can't imagine a top club eager to snap any of them up. We are a charity. A business feeding nostalgia to its fans.
the crazy thing is that in spite of the performance levels, the insipid attacking and awful defensive organisation the noise seems to be to trust the process?!?

They've been busy extending contracts for this group

stw2022

Why would he be a better manager if we bought him a new midfield? We should be seeing at least what he’s trying to do with the team he has, even if it wasn’t coming off. But his tactic from the outset has been to name a team and prey for individual brilliance. There’s never been anything else there.

I think Luke Shaw’s mood being improved to the point where he got himself new teeth is the total limit of this ‘progress’ we’ve made in three years

The sex might have been fun on the honeymoon but since then there’s been major compatibility issues in this marriage that everyone needs to face up to

The Purley King

Put ole in charge of Brighton and they would 100% be relegated.
Then look at what potter has done.
I’m not saying let’s get potter but the manager is THE most important member of staff at a club. We have one who is the footballing equivalent of a toddler a mile out to sea on an inflatable with a slow leak.

AneRu

New manager is going to need to be backed in the transfer market. Will be interested to see if the Glazers will do it.
The problem with United is that we believe that every solution lies in the transfer market and that's how we easily waste millions. Last season we had Greenwood on 15 goals and what did we do? Sign another young forward and compounded that by signing an undroppable legend who is a shadow of his former self.

We'd absolutely need a DM to replace Matic but why not try Laird at RB, Elanga as a rotation forward or Garner as the box to box CM before spending millions again. This is why we have to bring in a proper coach not someone with a glittering CV who won't be willing to fuse good signings with the youth.

It's unsustainable t say the least, Mourinho came in and blew £300m after LVG's £200m and Ole has just gone through £400m and he will be telling us he still needs backing. That's nonsense and has to be stopped but you can only stop it by appointing a proper coach.

SER19

Selective memory.
What free flowing football?
This has to be a WUM right?

People actually believe we were a swash-buckling attacking side without Ronaldo last season?

We had shocking performances last season without Ronaldo too. The Brighton game in which Bruno scored a last minute pen was one of the flukiest wins I've ever seen. That's just 1 example.
Lads I was being sarcastic. Point being we should be far beyond thinking that tweaking this or that or swapping 1 player fixes anything

tomaldinho1

Lingard should be starting. His work rate, particularly off the ball, is desperately needed.

Edit: what @Zoo said :)
Lingard is running down his deal, Pogba is running down his deal. Personally I’d rather neither was getting game time as neither are consistently good enough to play whilst waiting to move.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Something has to give, more like someone has to give, Ole should give in and give his resignation letter to Ed.

Deery

Dreary
It’s Pogba, I think he’s being forced to play him.
He’s part of the problem fecking shite in midfield for £90m or whatever, but the front 4 were not pressing, Bruno has to come back into midfield and the defence well oh feck I don’t know there they are all over the place.

chb23

Don't understand the Pogba blame. I thought he did fine yesterday.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Sadly it's time to fly a banner over old Trafford again.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

When Sir Alex was in charge, it was almost never in doubt which team wanted it more in any football match contested between Manchester United and some other team. The players had it drilled into them the minimum required was maximum effort every time they pulled on our shirt. Sometimes equally talented teams matched our commitment, and those were our closest and toughest battles, but most of the time we outfought and outshone every team, every weekend. NOT ANYMORE.
Spot on. SAF wasn't some brilliant tactician, but the desire and attitude he managed to instill into the players was simply incredible and THAT has been the biggest miss this season. We seem completely devoid of desire and hunger and it seems we barely care if we lose or draw. Infuriating

Deery

Dreary
Don't understand the Pogba blame. I thought he did fine yesterday.
He was letting people run past him all over the place, giving away fouls and just generally sloppy for a midfielder, but it was mostly on defence yesterday.

Deery

Dreary
Do we have a defensive coach at United because you couldn’t tell it from this season?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do we have a defensive coach at United because you couldn’t tell it from this season?
Think we have a counter-attacking team and we have lost the ability to counter attack this season in particular.

We saw one of our best counter attacking seasons was with Martial. He holds up the ball and brings others in to play. Bruno played high up the pitch with him. Then Martial turned to crap. Cavani became a better striker to us. Again Bruno played higher up the pitch. Ronaldo has come and is not a counter attacking style player. He cannot hold the ball up and bring others in to play like Cavani. Bruno is playing deeper than ever and his ability to score a goal or make a simple through ball close to the defence is gone - he is now just whipping in crosses to Ronaldo.

The tactics are all muddled up.

"We weren't good enough with second balls, 50-50s, the things that make you earn a right to win a game of football.

"We spoke about that today before the game, this is a game you have to win loads of them and unfortunately, we couldn't get the 50-50s turning our way."

He really does talk like we're Burnley... like everything on a football pitch is purely the result of how hard you try (we don't btw) and how lucky you get with 50/50s.

Nothing about controlling a game, an organised team press, defensive positioning, an actual functional attack.
It’s always been that way and it’s clear he and the club have shared the vision that buying good players and letting them express themselves is the way to success. That plus a “will to win”, and “team of leaders” will make us win the all important 50/50’s etc.
There appears to be no consideration to just how important coaching and tactics are in today’s game.

Deery

Dreary
Think we have a counter-attacking team and we have lost the ability to counter attack this season in particular.

We saw one of our best counter attacking seasons was with Martial. He holds up the ball and brings others in to play. Bruno played high up the pitch with him. Then Martial turned to crap. Cavani became a better striker to us. Again Bruno played higher up the pitch. Ronaldo has come and is not a counter attacking style player. He cannot hold the ball up and bring others in to play like Cavani. Bruno is playing deeper than ever and his ability to score a goal or make a simple through ball close to the defence is gone - he is now just whipping in crosses to Ronaldo.

The tactics are all muddled up.
I don’t think Bruno is playing further back at all I think he’s as far detached from midfield as ever, his work rate and hustle has gone he was a Trojan when he first arrived but rarely see it now.

Spoony

The People's President
I don’t think Bruno is playing further back at all I think he’s as far detached from midfield as ever, his work rate and hustle has gone he was a Trojan when he first arrived but rarely see it now.

He and Ronaldo can't play in the same team.

Deery

Dreary
He and Ronaldo can't play in the same team.
I think they could but someone has to tell Bruno he has to give up the goals and get back to being a midfielder which is a tough call but if not it’s either one or the other.

You can’t play two wide attackers that don’t track back, Ronaldo and a false 9 it’s over kill and doesn’t work.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah, lately I have been thinking more and more about how different he is from the player we had during his first month at the club. For this team I think that the attacking 8 role is a better fit for him which means that Pogba is the one that should/could make way. I think that it is possible to play with both in a 433 but I don't trust this coaching staff to give them clear instructions and account for each players tendencies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I disagree. Ronaldo is stopping and jogging in those positions Bruno used to make runs in to. Bruno runs in to half spaces. Ronaldo hardly makes a run in behind the defence unless in some sort of cross.

Bruno's our main creator and now our main goal scorer has turned to Ronaldo (our main goalscorer before was Bruno himself mixed with Greenwood,Rashford and Cavani). So he is doing the creative work to supple Ronaldo.

The amount of time Bruno is seen out wide trying to play a cross in like he is Beckham is different to the player he was when he was our main goalscorer.

There was this beautiful bit of gameplay yesterday where Ronaldo wasn't in his position - so it was Sancho as a LW, Pogba as a CM and Bruno back to his false 9 role and they make a quick interlinking move that completely broke down Leicester City apart.

For me we have the Portugal version of Bruno Fernandes- the pure supplier.

He is good but not that great version who was interlinking our front line and arguably our main goalscorer too.

And it's hard to talk about his energy - it was a horrible thing to see him going further forward than Ronaldo to press Leicester City defenders when Ronaldo was not doing it.

Bruno would press and Ronaldo would stand there and we would get cut apart because we would have one less midfielder in his area.

Deery

Dreary
I disagree. Ronaldo is stopping and jogging in those positions Bruno used to make runs in to. Bruno runs in to half spaces. Ronaldo hardly makes a run in behind the defence unless in some sort of cross.

Bruno's our main creator and now our main goal scorer has turned to Ronaldo (our main goalscorer before was Bruno himself mixed with Greenwood,Rashford and Cavani). So he is doing the creative work to supple Ronaldo.

The amount of time Bruno is seen out wide trying to play a cross in like he is Beckham is different to the player he was when he was our main goalscorer.

There was this beautiful bit of gameplay yesterday where Ronaldo wasn't in his position - so it was Sancho as a LW, Pogba as a CM and Bruno back to his false 9 role and they make a quick interlinking move that completely broke down Leicester City apart.

For me we have the Portugal version of Bruno Fernandes- the pure supplier.

He is good but not that great version who was interlinking our front line and arguably our main goalscorer too.

And it's hard to talk about his energy - it was a horrible thing to see him going further forward than Ronaldo to press Leicester City defenders when Ronaldo was not doing it.

Bruno would press and Ronaldo would stand there and we would get cut apart because we would have one less midfielder in his area.
Well that’s the sacrifice you have to make to have Ronaldo in the team Bruno needs to be pushed further back into an 8 in midfield not false 9 or on the wings.

Ronaldo has proven he can score goals so it would take a strong manager to make that call which hasn’t happened so it’s just another baffling decision from Ole in a list of many.

Deery

Dreary
Yeah, lately I have been thinking more and more about how different he is from the player we had during his first month at the club. For this team I think that the attacking 8 role is a better fit for him which means that Pogba is the one that should/could make way. I think that it is possible to play with both in a 433 but I don't trust this coaching staff to give them clear instructions and account for each players tendencies.
Yeah I agree he needs to be told to play in midfield and lose some of his attacking interests because we need reinforcements in there as much as anything.

Siezard

Ronaldo should play LW.

Striker's position is cursed because Bruno is playing too far up which is also why Martial stop scoring a lot. His space was taken up mostly by Bruno.

Ixion

Ole is literally playing Football Manager. Stick as many forwards as you can in the XI and a couple of randoms in midfield that's not really their position and hope it works.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Our press is to generally try to get the oppo to pass into midifled, where our double pivot and full backs and occansionaly are cbs go in to win the ball.

With Fred and mctom in the pivot this system actually works reasonably well because Fred and mctom have the desire and intensity in there game to go and win the ball back.

Pogba doesn't he either gets bypassed because he cant be arsed to do work that he obviously sees as under him or gives away soft fouls. And then the whole system falls apart and we get overun in midfield time and time again our line naturally drops back because we can't keep a high line if our midfield is getting overun and then our defence comes under pressure the opposition pushes high and suddenly its us getting pressed, but that's ok because pogba is well known to be amazing at dealing with pressure infront of his own box and is also well known to roll up his sleeves to wrestle back control....

I belive our problems start and end with midfield balance and pogba is the massive weight causing the imbalance.
No….absolute nonsense