Ole: Crystal Palace make teams play the way they want them to play...

OrcaFat

Manager and players just tired and disappointed. Wouldn’t pay any attention to what’s said directly afterwards. For all those calling for us to chuck a couple of 17-18 year old boys to the lions, maybe last night wasn’t the time to do it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A man shows his substance when he's under pressure.
When Ole is under pressure, he comes up with some nonsense that betrays him.

Jericholyte2

The rage and anger over a random quote on the first page here is genuinely embarrassing stuff. Really tragic
Why?

The manager of MANCHESTER UNITED claimed that their drab, one-shot-on-goal performance was because the opposition, Crystal Palace, dominate games and make teams play how they want! City do that, Bayern, Juventus or Barcelona do that. He’s effectively suggested we couldn’t out do, out fight, or out play Crystal Palace.

Tell me why fans being angry about that mentality is tragic?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He looked like a tired man there tonight. id bet he’s been told by the owners there’s no real cash this summer and he’s already worrying about how he’s going to keep us competitive next season. If that’s the case things are starting to look pretty tricky for Ole already. The PR machine has already started up lowering fans expectations for the summer window. If we struggle next year then Ole is gone and then we go back to square one with god knows managing us.

If we have another bad summer this year then hopefully everyone will finally be on the same page that it’s mission impossible to win a league with our owners current approach. I don’t think any top manger wins the league with this squad in 2 years without some upgrades and a few big changes to our starters. Very weary quotes from Ole tonight but as baffling as I find some of his decisions I can understand if he’s becoming more than a little frustrated at the club and at his players at this stage. I think the players need to hear the fans frustrations in a stadium again. It really looks like they are playing just for themselves most of the time this season.

the forward players continue to let him down when he needs them most and look near disinterested at times. no matter what’s at stake or how much he backs them or tries to play them into form he can’t seem to get a response this season. Remember the owners have also made some of these players untouchable. These are some of the highest paid and most respected players in the world in their positions not able to string 10 yard passes together or make a decent clear cut chance or run enough for each other against Crystal Palace. That has almost nothing to do with tactics. It’s not like they are getting in each other’s way. Chance would be a fine thing.

For example it shouldn’t really matter all that much if we start with 2 holding midfielders against West Brom or whoever else. McT is good for the odd goal and the full backs Bruno and the forwards should be more than good enough to win a game when we have 65% of the ball against a much worse team. Our forwards should be giving them absolute nightmares but they just don’t work hard enough to exploit teams who rely on defending aggressively and they don’t really compliment each other enough to do anything beyond the very predictable most of the time either. How can you do the unpredictable when someone like Rashford totally kills momentum nearly every time he gets the ball and then starts walking around the place when he loses it or Martial strolling around the place hiding looking for 1/2s that aren’t on. What can you build around that at this moment in time? The coach then has no replacements or alternatives so I don’t feel like it’s always a coaching issue letting us down when we can’t break down or outwork or outfight sides. Too many of the players he has just aren’t fighters. The manager should at least be able to threaten these players with being dropped or have a plan B but what is it? We don’t have those players. There’s no repercussions for playing bad and that’s the way the owners set the squad up.

it’s a personnel/recruitment issue that’s been further exasperated with injuries and conveniently papered over by Bruno for the last year. As an organisation we overrate the likes of Rashford and Martial, certainly as a partnership, and try to force them onto a world class pedestal when they don’t deserve it and then it’s not like the team has played really good football under any of the other managers post Fergie either.

The chemistry and overall balance of talent in the squad is lacking and has been for ages. We’ve also stripped away more quality than we’ve actually replaced over the last few years whether you like the players or not. we should almost be coming out the other side of the rebuild now but we are as far away as we were last summer really. I’d say It’s actually a very tricky job managing us. You might be fooled into thinking it’s an easy job because we are spending so much but when you look closely it’s an expensive mess that needs to be sorted out with non present and inconsistent owners who seem to have their own strange ideas about how the club should be run.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why?

The manager of MANCHESTER UNITED claimed that their drab, one-shot-on-goal performance was because the opposition, Crystal Palace, dominate games and make teams play how they want! City do that, Bayern, Juventus or Barcelona do that. He’s effectively suggested we couldn’t out do, out fight, or out play Crystal Palace.

Tell me why fans being angry about that mentality is tragic?
Of course a team like Palace make you play a certain way. What on Earth are you upset about.

SER19

What utter conflation this is. I was disgusted with our performance last night but this is a desperate attempt to attach some sort of Moyesian defeatism where there isn't any. Pathetic

Cloud7

He looked like a tired man there tonight. id bet he’s been told by the owners there’s no real cash this summer and he’s already worrying about how he’s going to keep us competitive next season. If that’s the case things are starting to look pretty tricky for Ole already. The PR machine has already started up lowering fans expectations for the summer window. If we struggle next year then Ole is gone and then we go back to square one with god knows managing us.

If we have another bad summer this year then hopefully everyone will finally be on the same page that it’s mission impossible to win a league with our owners current approach. I don’t think any top manger wins the league with this squad in 2 years without some upgrades and a few big changes to our starters. Very weary quotes from Ole tonight but as baffling as I find some of his decisions I can understand if he’s becoming more than a little frustrated at the club and at his players at this stage. I think the players need to hear the fans frustrations in a stadium again. It really looks like they are playing just for themselves most of the time this season.

the forward players continue to let him down when he needs them most and look near disinterested at times. no matter what’s at stake or how much he backs them or tries to play them into form he can’t seem to get a response this season. Remember the owners have also made some of these players untouchable. These are some of the highest paid and most respected players in the world in their positions not able to string 10 yard passes together or make a decent clear cut chance or run enough for each other against Crystal Palace. That has almost nothing to do with tactics. It’s not like they are getting in each other’s way. Chance would be a fine thing.

For example it shouldn’t really matter all that much if we start with 2 holding midfielders against West Brom or whoever else. McT is good for the odd goal and the full backs Bruno and the forwards should be more than good enough to win a game when we have 65% of the ball against a much worse team. Our forwards should be giving them absolute nightmares but they just don’t work hard enough to exploit teams who rely on defending aggressively and they don’t really compliment each other enough to do anything beyond the very predictable most of the time either. How can you do the unpredictable when someone like Rashford totally kills momentum nearly every time he gets the ball and then starts walking around the place when he loses it or Martial strolling around the place hiding looking for 1/2s that aren’t on. What can you build around that at this moment in time? The coach then has no replacements or alternatives so I don’t feel like it’s always a coaching issue letting us down when we can’t break down or outwork or outfight sides. Too many of the players he has just aren’t fighters. The manager should at least be able to threaten these players with being dropped or have a plan B but what is it? We don’t have those players. There’s no repercussions for playing bad and that’s the way the owners set the squad up.

it’s a personnel/recruitment issue that’s been further exasperated with injuries and conveniently papered over by Bruno for the last year. As an organisation we overrate the likes of Rashford and Martial, certainly as a partnership, and try to force them onto a world class pedestal when they don’t deserve it and then it’s not like the team has played really good football under any of the other managers post Fergie either.

The chemistry and overall balance of talent in the squad is lacking and has been for ages. We’ve also stripped away more quality than we’ve actually replaced over the last few years whether you like the players or not. we should almost be coming out the other side of the rebuild now but we are as far away as we were last summer really. I’d say It’s actually a very tricky job managing us. You might be fooled into thinking it’s an easy job because we are spending so much but when you look closely it’s an expensive mess with that needs to be sorted out with non present inconsistent owners who seem to have their own strange ideas about how the club should be run.
This is quite the fan fiction you’ve come up with to absolve the manager of any sort of responsibility. I like how I spans from previous seasons and goes all the way to next season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
United looked mentally and physically drained last night and in the previous game I may add.

This is coming rather familiar viewing since SAF retired. There's been periods in all our managers post (saf) that seem to have hit a brick wall regarding this club and I think Ole finally hit it last night.

United will limp to a finish, whether that would be one that establishes top 4 is up for debate with the current form and performances.

The summer transfer window will once again put the spotlight on United's ambition. More signings in the form of Pellestri, Amad, though they keep in line with United's tradition, will not convince the fanbase.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
WHAT THE feck WAS THAT!!!

That is the, ‘City are the level we want to aim for’ comment from Moyes for me! We weren’t o,aging City, Bayern, Juventus, Real or Barcelona. We played Crystal fecking Palance and he used that as reason for the poor performance.

Absolutely gutless and pathetic!
Bloody hell! I bet Liverpool were glad Palace made them play the way they wanted them to. Did he actually say this. I had gone to bed in a huff before I actually heard anything from Ole. A club of our size and history should be imposing ourselves on teams. You now wonder what the players are thinking about these sorts of comments.

Ali Dia

I presume he's referring to one of the Glazers vetoing Jose in regards to selling Martial.
I was. It seemed to be widely reported that Glazer sees Martial as our Pele. Nuts enough comparison that would have you worried if that’s what he really believes. That’s the guy who calls the shots.

This is quite the fan fiction you’ve come up with to absolve the manager of any sort of responsibility. I like how I spans from previous seasons and goes all the way to next season.
Let’s see how things turn out. I’m not delusional about the managers shortcomings. I’m aware he’s made some strange decisions, the football hasn’t been great and I don’t like his in game management all that much. Saying that he doesn’t really have the resources to have a plan b. martial and Rashford aren’t his signings and they only really allow you to play one way. What else is he meant to do? I don’t want us to have to start fresh with another manager unless we really have to. I also think any new manager is going to end up clashing with the glazers over transfers like Jose and LVG did. Ole works around the glazers without drama and it seems like he’s been a good man manager.

DomesticTadpole

I YouTube'd his post match interview, watched about 10 seconds and turned it off. It just isn't worth it. He is lucky to still be at this club, how he can go in winning runs, then go in a patch of games in a looking so bad, I don't get it, just rinse and repeat. I pray we can stay second, I really worry with our form.
We are a team of continual false dawns. A good run, a bad run. He does not know how to change things. He looks lost.

Adisa

Forget the quotes and what he say afterwards, how we play and the subs he makes are more than concerning enough for me.
This. His words are meaningless.
The proof is in the pudding. 70% of our performances are poor. A manager with a record like that has to be shown the door sooner or later.
Imo, it is a testament to the brilliance of some of our players that we have won a number of games despite generally being a poor team. Our results are nothing to write home about and I don't know any team whose results constantly outperform the performances as often as ours.
How many times have we finished a game this season and you can say 'yes, that was good, we were brilliant and dominated the game from start to finish'?
Just look at the post match threads for our wins. Our story majority of the time is 'that was shit but 3 points is 3 points'. That's unsustainable for a top club.
I love Ole and what he did for this club but I am convinced with every fiber of my being that he doesn't have the talent to achieve more than we are seeing. There is no reason for a club like ours to settle for a subpar coach. It's not even a slight on him. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world. Only a select few of the most talented coaches should be managing a club like ours.

Eddy_JukeZ

The proof is in the pudding. 70% of our performances are poor. A manager with a record like that has to be shown the door sooner or later.
Imo, it is a testament to the brilliance of some of our players that we have won a number of games despite generally being a poor team. Our results are nothing to write home about and I don't know any team whose results constantly outperform the performances as often as ours.
How many times have we finished a game this season and you can say 'yes, that was good, we were brilliant and dominated the game from start to finish'?
Just look at the post match threads for our wins. Our story majority of the time is 'that was shit but 3 points is 3 points'. That's unsustainable for a top club.
I love Ole and what he did for this club but I am convinced with every fiber of my being that he doesn't have the talent to achieve more than we are seeing. There is no reason for a club like ours to settle for a subpar coach.
Pretty much.

People are clinging with blind hope.

By now, you would have seen real progress. He's had more than enough time. This is how it'll be under Ole. Good intertwined with bad + mostly mediocre football.

I just don't understand how our fanbase criminally underrates what a manager can do to lift a team. Out of all the fanbases out there, we should know how much a manager can improve a squad.

Giving him another $200 million to spend isn't the problem-solver.

DomesticTadpole

Of course a team like Palace make you play a certain way. What on Earth are you upset about.
Wish they made us play like Liverpool then. How many chances did Fulham have against them? If they had a decent striker they would have wiped the floor with them.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I love Ole and what he did for this club but I am convinced with every fiber of my being that he doesn't have the talent to achieve more than we are seeing. There is no reason for a club like ours to settle for a subpar coach.
Bruno helped us won many points, Pogba also did, Rashford did but you could count it on one hand the number of good team performance with good football.
Everton was a good example of a good game despite the bad result in the end. The intensity and movement in that game were refreshing

Ali Dia

Pretty much.

People are clinging with blind hope.

By now, you would have seen real progress. He's had more than enough time. This is how it'll be under Ole. Good intertwined with bad + mostly mediocre football.

I just don't understand how our fanbase criminally underrates what a manager can do to lift a team. Out of all the fanbases out there, we should know how much a manager can improve a squad.

Giving him another $200 million to spend isn't the problem-solver.
maybe not but a new manager is still going to need almost the same things as ole does. The money still needs to be spent either way. I’d rather give Ole the final pieces and reevaluate than just kick another manager out mid rebuild and start again.

thesheriffjw

I hope ole is embarrassed by his comments in recent weeks.

He should be coming out with the, we should be beating teams like palace, wba, sheff utd and beating them convincingly.

City play theirgame and their game only. As do liverpool and even leicester. Utd should be playing utds way with the difference in quality.

Playing the oppositions way shows too much respect and not much confidence in your own 11

Somehow utd are 2nd in league, so they should play the wsy that position deserves

Adisa

Bruno helped us won many points, Pogba also did, Rashford did but you could count it on one hand the number of good team performance with good football.
Everton was a good example of a good game despite the bad result in the end. The intensity and movement in that game were refreshing
Yes, the Everton game is an example of a game we actually played very well. How many games have we performed to that standard...too few.
As I have done with all of our managers post SAF, results are secondary when I judge their record. I always believe if a team plays well, they will eventually get the results to match their performances in the long run. I also believe when a team regularly plays poor football, the results to match their performances will come. That's why I focus more on how a team plays rather than results.
I cannot see how a team that regularly plays the way we do metamorphosize into a top side, I just can't see it. We are prone to playing too poorly for too long. That's on Ole. It has to be.
I still don't know what kind of a side he's trying to build.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
2011 - Barcelona make teams play the way they want them to play
2021- Crystal Palace make teams play the way they want them to play

We've come a long way, fellas.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I hope ole is embarrassed by his comments in recent weeks.

He should be coming out with the, we should be beating teams like palace, wba, sheff utd and beating them convincingly.

City play theirgame and their game only. As do liverpool and even leicester. Utd should be playing utds way with the difference in quality.

Playing the oppositions way shows too much respect and not much confidence in your own 11

Somehow utd are 2nd in league, so they should play the wsy that position deserves
We don't have a strong enough tactical set up for that. We need individual moments of quality as the system does feck all.

romufc

This is getting worse. Since SU, our performances are getting worse by the game. We are getting back to the Jose days of football.

Slow slow slow at the back spend 2/3 minutes passing around the back, pump the ball forward. lose it and the other team have it for 3/4 minutes.

Win it back and go back to Maguire who takes 10 seconds to pass.

Oranges038

Palace were setup to sit in and wait for chances to break. How the feck does that force you to play how they want you too? He should be raging after that, it was sloppy and lazy all over the pitch.

The problem is the same we've seen over and over again. Teams sit in and this lot just haven't got the brains to break them down. The whole lot of them players and management, haven't a clue how to adapt in game to make changes and overcome these sort of stubborn teams.

Last might was even worse, the passing was some of he worst I've ever seen in a game, first touches were rubbish too many attempted flicks when controlling the ball was a better option.

Toad

Well I’m sold then, sign Hodgson! We can then make every team score OG’s every game. Sometimes he doesn’t feel like it though hence why Palace have dropped points against 17 teams this season...

Eddy_JukeZ

maybe not but a new manager is still going to need almost the same things as ole does. The money still needs to be spent either way. I’d rather give Ole the final pieces and reevaluate than just kick another manager out mid rebuild and start again.
He's had more than enough time and resources to shape his team into his vision.

This is it.

There's no magic improvement happening.

pascell

I think it's telling that for the past month or so that our best and most consistent player has been our LB, not our striker or winger, our LB.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
When has Ole ever made a tactical sub? I can't remember him doing that. Always a striker for a striker a midfielder for midfielder, just freshens up the same positions as far as I can remember, usually late in the game too.
The most bizarre subs he's ever made for me was against Leipzig. Chasing the game and he brings on 3 defenders. Oh the crazy times we live in.