Ole - Every time we lose it, there's a counter-attack...........

UnitedChampionsAgain

It's not just counter attacks either. Generally it's too easy for the oppo to create chances against us. A couple of passes and they're in on goal while we toil away for half an hour before we register a shot. It's the same every game.

ROFLUTION

Seriously look at that site, I would stick with the one using Opta.
Alrighty then - Using Opta (WhoScored) from 2009 and on then, pass completion rate, as was originally discussed.
Scholes: 90.8
Yaya Toure: 88.9%
Carrick: 87.9%
Fernandinho: 87.9%
Fred: 86.7%
Kante: 85.6%
McTominay 84.3%
Gerrard: 83%
Fletcher: 81.6%.
Ndidi: 79.1%

Not exactly bad in comparison with the very best and who else was discussed in here.

Another talking point about how him being dispossessed. He's dispossessed (0.8 avg). As often as Fernandinho (0.8), Scholes (0.7) and less dispossessed than Kante (1.2) and Yaya (1.1)

He tackles a lot less tackles than Ndidi, Fernandinho though - But again McTominay's role hasn't completely been a dedicated cleaner / DMC (Solskjær's instructions?), but it's probably an area for improvement. No matter how you put it, his numbers are still quite good for an up and coming talent, establishing himself and 2nd year at a top-club that has been struggling the time he's been there. I remember how crap Fletcher was for the first year or two at United.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Alrighty then - Using Opta (WhoScored) from 2009 and on then, pass completion rate, as was originally discussed.
Scholes: 90.8
Yaya Toure: 88.9%
Carrick: 87.9%
Fernandinho: 87.9%
Fred: 86.7%
Kante: 85.6%
McTominay 84.3%
Gerrard: 83%
Fletcher: 81.6%.
Ndidi: 79.1%

Not exactly bad in comparison with the very best and who else was discussed in here.

Another talking point about how him being dispossessed. He's dispossessed (0.8 avg). As often as Fernandinho (0.8), Scholes (0.7) and less dispossessed than Kante (1.2) and Yaya (1.1)

He tackles a lot less tackles than Ndidi, Fernandinho though - But again McTominay's role hasn't completely been a dedicated DMC (Solskjær's instructions?), but it's probably an area for improvement. No matter how you put it, his numbers are still quite good for an up and coming talent, establishing himself and 2nd year at a top-club that has been struggling the time he's been there. I remember how crap Fletcher was for the first year or two at United.
I'm sorry I should have been clear. I read your post and thought that Fred stat was very strange and since you didn't name the site it triggered my curiosity. I didn't follow, your conversation.

ROFLUTION

He gives the ball away quite a bit as his passing is very poor.
Check my latest post for stats. Actually McTominay's dispossessed very little on average. At the level of Scholes and Fernandinho, and less dispossesed than Kante and Yaya. His passing is not "very poor" neither. Check the stats.

Greck

-No ball winning philosophy.
-Slow CBs
-immobile CMs

The last one is Jose's fault with his obsession with loading the midfield with palm trees. The other 2 are Ole's failings

KevinJoh

First of all, every team that has possession will have problems with counters. We are beating top 6 teams on counters, they have problem as well.

Our problem with counters is based on a few things. First of all, both Maguire and Lindelof are slow. Also, Lindelof is not strong and will often lose duels. Therefore, to stop counters and forwards running behind them, they are making space between them and attacker. As we don't have proper DM, attacker has enough space to control pass to him and include others to counter attack. One of the serious problem is that both our full backs are not fast enough (sometimes look to lazy) to come back to their position in transition from attacking to defensive formation. So, there is wide open space for rival to attack on our two CB who are slow and the only possible outcome is for rivals to have a shot on goal if they execute passing right.

For me, the most important signing in January should be DM. Someone who has positional awareness, and can control space between CB's and midfielders. Even more than n10, as for attacking midfielder we have some options, especially with Pogba fit. Now with McT out, I am not sure how will this work. Matic from the first half season with us would be good, but he is gone. Fred is good recently, but he is not that type of player, and he is not strong enough in duels, and don't have that kind of positional awareness.

Another solution would be adding someone else instead of Lindelof, someone who is fast and strong, and can play closer to attacker as he would be able to recover. Axel is showing promises, but he is often injured.

pacifictheme

I definitely think we’re lacking a proper defensive midfielder. Someone like N’Didi would do wonders for our defensive stability. I think the lack of a player like him goes a long way to explaining why we still don’t look that impressive at the back, even though we spent a bucketload on that area, and why Ole still feels the need to play two sitting midfielders against cannon fodder at home.
Yeah midfield is so important to defence. Look at liverpool, they often play with 2 or even 3 midfielders whos job is often to defend. Allows the fullbacks attacking freedom and protects the defence. Defenders should be defending attackers, not midfield runners.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lindelof is not slow, in fact he has got decent pace, it’s just that he has been prone to poor decision making and positioning. He has definitely regressed this year.
Lindelof is faster than Maguire, but he's still on the slower side for a professional footballer. Partnering him with somebody who is actually slow is a partnership with an obvious weakness.

Lj82

I actually dont think the problem is in midfield but in defense. Neither Lindelof or Maguire are aggressive enough. Lindelof loves to shadow his man while maguire is deeper backing off and waiting. Sure Fred is also very weak but he does his fair share pressing and making life difficult for the opposition. Mctominay could also do better with his passing so we dont start a counter for the opposition team.

If I was to make any drastic change it would be to replace lindelof with a tougher defender. Someone who loves to tackle on the halfway line and wont give striker a chance to turn and pass. We played a high line against newcastle and when we were on the counter Lindelof wasn't aggressive enough which gave Dwight gayle that first missed opportunity that he really should have scored. That could have screwed us like it did against watford.

Mind you lindelof has just been as good as maguire this season but the latter cost 80 million and has to play. We should give tuanzebe more opportunities if lindelof cant aggressively snuff out danger on the counter.

Ive also read suggestions of a player like Ndidi but to be honest he is terrible on the ball. Im pretty sure Ole would be far from interested.
The player that fits that description is Smalling. Too bad he is enjoying his Italian adventure now.

KennyBurner

The player that fits that description is Smalling. Too bad he is enjoying his Italian adventure now.
I wish it was but unfortunately he isnt very comfortable on the ball which Ole isnt a fan of. Its the only reason why Jones is still here over Smalling. Personally I feel we went in the right direction loaning him and should have also done the same with Jones. Smalling just cant pass the ball under pressure which defeats the purpose of how we want to play out the back. A very good defender but isnt compatible in our new system.

He'sRaldo

Rojo could be the guy. His aggressive style complements all our other defenders, plus, he can play the ball pretty well.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We struggle on counter attacks because we don't have a true defensive midfielder, like a Fernandinho, Ndidi, Fabinho etc. McTominay is more of a runner and Fred is a playmaker.

Matic is our only DM and he is long finished.