Ole - Glazer Puppet or Not

StrettyEnder07

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, I got slaughtered on Twitter earlier today for saying I want Ole to be given time and a few windows to get his squad together.

I got absolutely hammered by quite a few United fans who are hardcore anti-Glazer (which is fine as I am as well) but the anger at Ole and the fact they see him as the poster boy for Woodward/Glazers, I was stunned at the hatred towards him.

Just curious to see what fans think on here, do you see Ole as a Glazer poster boy and if you back Ole (as I do), so many fans see you as pro Glazer, which is not the case, for me anyway.

Let me know your thoughts just interested to see what people think.

Denis79

I don't believe he's a yes man for the current regime just professional enough to keep his opinions away from the media.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I wouldn't base anything on the opinions of people on Twitter, especially about football. They're the apex of angry idiocy. For what it's worth, you were right anyway.

StrettyEnder07

I wouldn't base anything on the opinions of people on Twitter, especially about football. They're the apex of angry idiocy. For what it's worth, you were right anyway.
Honestly mate could not believe the reaction, yeah agree it is a toxic toxic place, think one of my tweets ended up trending haha

AshRK

Not a yes man but a professional manager who wants to do his work and do the best for the club.

StrettyEnder07

Where the hell were all you lot on Twitter! haha I was the only one with this opinion

Eckers99

Honestly mate could not believe the reaction, yeah agree it is a toxic toxic place, think one of my tweets ended up trending haha
I'm not surprised it's trending - writing something considered, mature and rational on Twitter might just be enough break the internet. You might as well give a monkey a Rubik's cube.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anybody in a job is a yes man of sorts aren't they?

If you disobey a direct order you get sacked. You have to work around the limitations or targets your superiors set you.

Ole is doing his best. Cutting Lukaku and Sanchez was always going to happen, people are just pissy that we haven't replaced them yet.

I'm glad we didn't though as now we can get Haaland instead of Llorente.

StrettyEnder07

Anybody in a job is a yes man of sorts aren't they?

If you disobey a direct order you get sacked. You have to work around the limitations or targets your superiors set you.

Ole is doing his best. Cutting Lukaku and Sanchez was always going to happen, people are just pissy that we haven't replaced them yet.

I'm glad we didn't though as now we can get Haaland instead of Llorente.
Absolute spot on mate, it is crazy, have people on Twitter going mad at me because I called Ole a club legend, one bloke was like "he scored one goal 20 years ago and he is a legend for that, is Silvestre a legend now"

Aaahhhhh! Some of our "fans" honest to god

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Everybody who is employed has to follow their bosses orders. Whether you send subtle hints or don't is largely irrelevant.

Eckers99

I misread the title as pupper and now I hope there is a club dog
There is a club dog - the one that saved us from going out of business back in the (I think) 30s. Foggy on the details (and I might even have dreamt it) but...there you go.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolute spot on mate, it is crazy, have people on Twitter going mad at me because I called Ole a club legend, one bloke was like "he scored one goal 20 years ago and he is a legend for that, is Silvestre a legend now"

Most of these kids on twitter weren't even alive when the treble happened or saw any of that team play. To them they have no affiliation, so they feel nothing.

It just seems the way of life, no patience at all. They were all probably singing Ole's at the wheel happily at first.

Tapori

Being professional and being against a leveraged buyout leeching off what could have been akin to a community asset for the development of people are not mutually exclusive.
You can't vocally fight every battle.
Admired his stance on Gambling; probably that and Racism are the only times I've heard him opine on non-football matters.

0le

I would say twitter is not the place you will find a group of fans which accurately represent the general feeling towards Ole.

passing-wind

I also don't understand how Solskjaer and the Glazers are mutually exclusive of one another. You can't blame Ole for all the frailties of the past decade. We can only critique Ole for the teams performances under his tenure, that's where it stops.

StrettyEnder07

Being professional and being against a leveraged buyout leeching off what could have been akin to a community asset for the development of people are not mutually exclusive.
You can't vocally fight every battle.
Admired his stance on Gambling; probably that and Racism are the only times I've heard him opine on non-football matters.
Yeah everyone on twitter went mental about one press conference he did where he said "the owners have invested a lot of money" the hatred and toxic tweets to that were incredible, I think he saw Jose go against the board and it kind of side tracked the footballing side of things, which led it to become very toxic.

SAFMUTD

He’s just happy to have the opportunity, he doesnt have the background to demand anything, not sure about the yes sir type but for sure he isnt/cant be demanding anything else.

Eckers99

Yeah everyone on twitter went mental about one press conference he did where he said "the owners have invested a lot of money" the hatred and toxic tweets to that were incredible, I think he saw Jose go against the board and it kind of side tracked the footballing side of things, which led it to become very toxic.
He's smart enough to know that he can't win an argument with the board and, unlike Jose, he won't motivate the squad by calling them out in public. The guy wants to create a positive atmosphere around the club and he's started to bring in the kinds of player who can help us to change course, which was never going to happen in one window. The people criticising that are utterly clueless, both on Twitter and here, on the Caf.

DoomSlayer

During these years of failures, I've realised why a lot of my friends think most Manchester United fans are obnoxious glory hunters with no real football knowledge.

It's true a lot of it comes from younger fans, but the older generations can be just as primitive in their opinions and act like ungrateful twats.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

No way is Ole a yes man. He was a player (a top one at that) for United at the height of their success. Its well documented how tough the dressing room was back then and he was part of it, he's no shrinking violet. The way he's trimmed the squad shows me he has a ruthlessness about him but he does it with a smile, much prefer this to that miserable cnut he took over from.

I like what he's done so far and the way he goes about it. He'll get time and rightly so.

Some of these 'fans' now a days have probably only ever played football on Fifa or FM and have never kicked a ball growing up as a kid because they have only online friends.

Lemansky

What these last years has shown is that we have a huge amount of idiots following our club. I remember in the past laugh at Liverpool threads etc, our fans is the same, maybe worse.

Solskjær is a club legend and professional. He makes decisions for the clubs future and not for himself. The Glazers is his bosses, no good comes from going to war with them in public. SAF also stayed very professional during his time with them as owners. In no job you stay for long if you go against the people over you in hierarchy. Ole wants what is best for the club and his decision making shows are this imo.

Tapori

He's smart enough to know that he can't win an argument with the board and, unlike Jose, he won't motivate the squad by calling them out in public. The guy wants to create a positive atmosphere around the club and he's started to bring in the kinds of player who can help us to change course, which was never going to happen in one window. The people criticising that are utterly clueless, both on Twitter and here, on the Caf.
Here's hoping he is setting us up to be bought out by the national Norwegian Sovereign Wealth fund on the cheap when the recession hits.
Poachers instinct:lol::keano::wenger::D

lysglimt

Scout

oh please send me the name of that person in a PM so I can find his Twitter and make fun of him

lysglimt

Scout
It's funny that a manager who used to play with Roy Keane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Ruud van Nistelrooy, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville etc - is considered soft.

He played with ROY KEANE for Christs sake...hundreds of times. He trained with Roy Keane - thousands of times. Soft ? How long would a player last at United in the late 90s if he was soft ? A week ? 2 weeks ? :)

MrPooni

I'm by no means anti-Glazer the way a lot of folks on here are but I agree there have been major problems with the footballing infrastructure of the club for years and I believe Ole was appointed because he'd be far less vocal about how bad things really are and far less aggressive about fixing things compared to other more established managers, at least publicly speaking.

Whether you agree with Jose's methods or not, history will show that he was largely correct with the vast majority of his critiques and Ed clearly wasn't happy about having his dirty laundry aired out in the public. Whether this makes Ole a yes man or simply a more passive and patient manager depends entirely on the narrative you're trying to push.

0le

I'm by no means anti-Glazer the way a lot of folks on here are but I agree there have been major problems with the footballing infrastructure of the club for years and I believe Ole was appointed because he'd be far less vocal about how bad things really are and far less aggressive about fixing things compared to other more established managers, at least publicly speaking.

Whether you agree with Jose's methods or not, history will show that he was largely correct with the vast majority of his critiques and Ed clearly wasn't happy about having his dirty laundry aired out in the public. Whether this makes Ole a yes man or simply a more passive and patient manager depends entirely on the narrative you're trying to push.
I think this is a good summary.

SaintMuppet

I am in general agreement that Ole is a United man rather than a Glazer man. I also read a lot about Ole having to a certain extent do what he is told like the rest of us do so he gets a pass.

That is fine but if I dare suggest Ed gets a pass because he i following orders I wonder what the response would be?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Pretty sure "Glazer puppet" has been bandied about this forum as well.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I am in general agreement that Ole is a United man rather than a Glazer man. I also read a lot about Ole having to a certain extent do what he is told like the rest of us do so he gets a pass.

That is fine but if I dare suggest Ed gets a pass because he i following orders I wonder what the response would be?
Of course he's doing what he's told. He'd be mad not to.

Alabaster Codify7

Puppet? No, not intentionally.

More of a patsy. He isn't aware that he's a puppet, but he is. He's just a friendly public face for the Glazers to hide behind safe in the knowledge that fans will not revolt while he's in the hot-seat. Its another master-stroke really from Woodward, he's played a blinder because the only way the fans can 'protest' if things go south is to inadvertently protest against Ole too by not attending games. Oooh, dilemmas dilemmas.

Eckers99

Puppet? No, not intentionally.

More of a patsy. He isn't aware that he's a puppet, but he is. He's just a friendly public face for the Glazers to hide behind safe in the knowledge that fans will not revolt while he's in the hot-seat. Its another master-stroke really from Woodward, he's played a blinder because the only way the fans can 'protest' if things go south is to inadvertently protest against Ole too by not attending games. Oooh, dilemmas dilemmas.
Another sh1t ton of bollox there. Ole is a legend and untouchable for match going fans. So if it goes wrong, Ole gets a pass and the heat will be on Woody more than ever.

Davs

Ignore any multitude of comments you receive on Twitter. I'd be pretty confident in saying that 99% of hatred towards you would have been by uneducated (in a football sense) individuals or trolls.

Ole isn't a Glazer puppet, he's simply doing what's right for the club. His choices with recruitment over the summer have proven to be very good so far even if it is still early days. He hasn't spoken negatively about the Glazers and I don't think he ever will. That's not because he's a puppet, but down to the fact he knows it can spread a toxic atmosphere throughout the club, top to bottom.