Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
January is going to answer a lot of questions or bring up even more.
1. Will we sign one or two players?
2. Will they be stopgap older players who are going to then need replacing?
3. Will they be middle of the PL British players who we are banking on becoming world beaters?
4. Will it be the usual zilch and have to wait until the summer?

dev1l

Apparently Ole has identified Burnley's 19 year old Dwight McNeil as a replacement for Pogba.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/06/ole-...chester-united-winger-dwight-mcneil-11049401/

Seems to tick all the right boxes for our new transfer policy;

British born, willing to get stuck in and show passion and will be one of the many young players who will tackle the evil cultcha permeating inside the club!
McNeil is a left winger....no Pogba replacement.
Yet another clueless guess from the papers.
Apparently since last window we have been linked with over 30 players....and there is still almost 2 months till next window opens..

DomesticTadpole

McNeil is a left winger....no Pogba replacement.
Yet another clueless guess from the papers.
Apparently since last window we have been linked with over 30 players....and there is still almost 2 months till next window opens..
Exactly. Why would we want a left winger when we desperately need a right one, also as you say he is not a Pogba replacement. He does not offer anything that Pogba offers.

bleedred

This is the problem with Ole. He says all the right things in the media, pre match, post match but what the players deliver on the pitch seems completely opposite. Anyone can say the right things, but delivering it is another.

Top managers don't have to come out to justify what they do on the training pitch, what the players do on matchday highlights what they do in training.

How many times have we seen analysis of Liverpool, CIty, Spurs and it shows patterns that are worked on the training ground.
Not just on the training ground, its seen during games as well. one in four/five goals they score is exactly the same flow, irrespective of the quality of the players on the field.

The only similarity in our goals this season has been the pens.

Judas

Open to offers
3. Will they be middle of the PL British players who we are banking on becoming world beaters?
4 is where my moneys going. Don't believe we'll strengthen, but we'll hear the usual excuses.

DomesticTadpole

4 is where my moneys going. Don't believe we'll strengthen, but we'll hear the usual excuses.
Possibly. I wouldn't mind if we had arrangements in place for the summer. That we know certain players are on their way to us, but that would actually take some of the forward planning we are so well known for.

Judas

Open to offers
Possibly. I wouldn't mind if we had arrangements in place for the summer. That we know certain players are on their way to us, but that would actually take some of the forward planning we are so well known for.
I'd question any player thinking of joining us next summer in our current state, think doing future planning for transfers can't be easy when we're so shite right now.

DomesticTadpole

I'd question any player thinking of joining us next summer in our current state, think doing future planning for transfers can't be easy when we're so shite right now.
That's the big problem. This next couple of windows are going to be vital as to where this club are going. I worry if it is Ole, he might prove us wrong. If he does not get recruits in January I cannot see how things will pick up too much.

bonothom

Not only is he a terrible manager but hes now using that awful line "we go again" in press conferences and post match interviews. This was last heard by Gerrard during Liverpool's failed title chase in 13/14. Also Ashley Young today coming out with shit "it's like having the boss back" and "Ole knows what this club is about" blah blah while ignoring the fact that United are truly shit at the moment and are closer to the bottom 3 than the top 4.

el3mel

Not only is he a terrible manager but hes now using that awful line "we go again" in press conferences and post match interviews. This was last heard by Gerrard during Liverpool's failed title chase in 13/14. Also Ashley Young today coming out with shit "it's like having the boss back" and "Ole knows what this club is about" blah blah while ignoring the fact that United are truly shit at the moment and are closer to the bottom 3 than the top 4.
That Young quote made me laugh so hard.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We've always got a highly competitive salary + a multitude of bonuses to throw at them, I guess, which seems to be the deciding factor for the majority of footballers these days.

Just being Manchester United no longer has the pull it once had. Sad but true.

DomesticTadpole

We've always got a highly competitive salary + a multitude of bonuses to throw at them, I guess, which seems to be the deciding factor for the majority of footballers these days.

Just being Manchester United no longer has the pull it once had. Sad but true.
Then you wonder how motivated those players are. They get their big pay packet and forget that the end product for big clubs is winning trophies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Then you wonder how motivated those players are. They get their big pay packet and forget that the end product for big clubs is winning trophies.
It's a vicious circle. Fall into mediocrity, attract big players with money, they don't care, you flog them, fall further into mediocrity, attract big players with money, repeat.

It's not any better under Ole. We just gave Rashford and Martial contracts that are above their worth.

tomaldinho1

Issue is more than we might go out and buy someone amazing but it just won't work out because we have no system. We try to play Galactico football without the Galacticos.

I would rather us sign no one, sort ourselves out and then build than bring in another huge name and watch them fail/damage our brand even more. Can you imagine the fallout if we somehow lured Sancho here and he struggled, nothing worse for a club than having it's best players always looking to leave.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Just saw his press conference. Bloody hell, this delusion is now starting to be dangerous. Team spirit and hard work will solve our problems, he needs time to do that, he is happy with playing youngsters( all who already played for Jose) and everything is based on long term.

You know what. I despise this guy now. Yes, i despise my manager who was my hero when i was a kid. Because he is ruining my club. Club which i love and support. Club for which i remember every scorer in every game in last 30 years. And he is doing it with bloody smile on his face. Smile is nice to see when you are winning but when things are bad and somebody has smile on his face, it makes things even worse.

I must again laugh to people who said that Ole will resign if things go bad. This guy has so much faith in this project( or delusion, depends how you look at it) that he would not resign even if we sink on 20th place on PL table.

Ancient Of Days

Just saw his press conference. Bloody hell, this delusion is now starting to be dangerous. Team spirit and hard work will solve our problems, he needs time to do that, he is happy with playing youngsters( all who already played for Jose) and everything is based on long term.

You know what. I despise this guy now. Yes, i despise my manager who was my hero when i was a kid. Because he is ruining my club. Club which i love and support. Club for which i remember every scorer in every game in last 30 years. And he is doing it with bloody smile on his face. Smile is nice to see when you are winning but when things are bad and somebody has smile on his face, it makes things even worse.

I must again laugh to people who said that Ole will resign if things go bad. This guy has so much faith in this project( or delusion, depends how you look at it) that he would not resign even if we sink on 20th place on PL table.
There's nothing likable about Ole as the United manager.

Moyes level of Smugness, stubborn, patronizing with his ''this isn't the 90's anymore'' comment (well no shit Ole why are we playing hoofball kick and rush 90's football) and deluded whilst being uninspiring.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

You despise him just because he isn't giving anything to the media?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

And he'll pocketed millions when he got the sack. So much for Loving United

Ancient Of Days

He despises him because he's drowning the club and is still smiling in spite of the chaos surrounding the club and is clinging on to a job that he is out of his depth in, gladly collecting 7 million a year for doing a poor job that any tom dick and harry manager could have done.

Let me ask you, did Liverpool fans love Roy Hodgson when he was sinking them down into the abyss?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He despises him because he's drowning the club and is still smiling in spite of the chaos surrounding the club and is clinging on to a job that he is out of his depth in, gladly collecting 7 million a year for doing a poor job that any tom dick and harry manager could have done.

Let me ask you, did Liverpool fans love Roy Hodgson when he was sinking them down into the abyss?
No but they still loved Dalglish when he looked out of his depth, saying he should move on but were respectful to their legend.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

What do you want him to do? Cry in the media like the toxic one or resign?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People just can't think, as simple as that. PC doesn't matter, it's just generic nonsense and Ole don't want to feed any negative news to the media, doesn’t mean he is blind to what’s happening.

Alabaster Codify7

This United legend will possibly walk out of Old Trafford either in the summer or next October/November having done more damage to the club he loves than all three of our previous managers combined.

Also, it would make for a very interesting dissertation or sociology piece in my opinion. It would be an intriguing written account of how easily people can be manipulated in large numbers and convinced to accept something they previously rallied against.....simply by placing a friendly, familiar face as the figurehead.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This United legend will possibly walk out of Old Trafford either in the summer or next October/November having done more damage to the club he loves than all three of our previous managers combined.

Also, it would make for a very interesting dissertation or sociology piece in my opinion. It would be an intriguing written account of how easily people can be manipulated in large numbers and convinced to accept something they previously rallied against.....simply by placing a friendly, familiar face as the figurehead.
I can't see it. Just don't see why he would get another year.

Alabaster Codify7

It depends completely on the latter. If the fans are still buying Oles snake oil and time buying he'll stay in post because he's the ideal manager for owners that want to spend as little as possible.

I want him gone now and I predict he'll be gone by Christmas because I think we'll be around 15th by then and the negativity will mean the board need to "do something" to ensure those hallowed season tickets get renewed.

It won't be a January warchest because there isn't one and Even if there was it's an impossible task in January. Which leaves one option. change of manager.

Giggsyking

He won't get through Christmas.

L_O_S_T

Ole is inexperienced. Everyone knew that, the board had to know that when they signed him without any managerial record at the highest levels. So the thing is, knowing this, the management had to be expecting that Ole was going to need time to learn, to pick up experience, to make mistakes. The question is, how long were they planning on giving him?? Based on my estimation, Ole is going to need at least 4-5 years to smell any chance of success. Is the club willing to wait that long? If not, why did they hire him in the first place?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It depends completely on the latter. If the fans are still buying Oles snake oil and time buying he'll stay in post because he's the ideal manager for owners that want to spend as little as possible.

I want him gone now and I predict he'll be gone by Christmas because I think we'll be around 15th by then and the negativity will mean the board need to "do something" to ensure those hallowed season tickets get renewed.

It won't be a January warchest because there isn't one and Even if there was it's an impossible task in January. Which leaves one option. change of manager.
He already spent 150M this year, and looks set to strenghten in January and (if he's not sacked by then) beyond.

Ole is an expensive choice for a yes man. If glazer want to spend as little as possible he'd probably give it to allegri and bet you he can do better with 100M budget

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole is inexperienced. Everyone knew that, the board had to know that when they signed him without any managerial record at the highest levels. So the thing is, knowing this, the management had to be expecting that Ole was going to need time to learn, to pick up experience, to make mistakes. The question is, how long were they planning on giving him?? Based on my estimation, Ole is going to need at least 4-5 years to smell any chance of success. Is the club willing to wait that long? If not, why did they hire him in the first place?
Why do we owe it to him to learn his way? What if he's just not cut it as manager? Giving someone 5 years managing United doesn't automatically making him the next Alex Ferguson.

People seems to think that Ole is a sure bet if he's given 3 years.

Amir

Keeping him would suit the club's current narrative. Changing culture, rebuiling, patience, yada yada.

Sack him, and you've lost that narrative. You need a new one - that would have to be different and therefore probably involve instant success rather than patience. And I doubt they have a clue how to do it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Keeping him would suit the club's current narrative. Changing culture, rebuiling, patience, yada yada.

Sack him, and you've lost that narrative. You need a new one - that would have to be different and therefore probably involve instant success rather than patience. And I doubt they have a clue how to do it.
So our club is hold ransom by our own united value.

Ironically sad...

soapythecat

I desperately want Ole to succeed here, because I think it would be wonderful to have a club legend bring back some glory to OT (and there is a part of me every week hoping that this game will be the turning point), but the more we play, the more I think I have to accept this isn't going to be the case.
Just listening to TalkSport this morning and Arsenal fans phoning in and complaining about Emery, made me think how bad our situation is. Arsenal fans need to wake up and smell that coffee because their manager is a proven winner, and has a track record or winning trophies and improving players at the top level. Clearly, the Arsenal defence needs a lot of work before they can play more expansive football but, like us, Arsenal fans want instant gratification and results. I think they would be utterly daft to sack him now.
Twist that to us and we don't have such a luxury to compare our manager. Ole has no track record at the top level of football other than the disaster at Cardiff and what he's achieved at United. We will never know if persisting with him is going to reap rewards because he's never doing anything of not. If Ole was the Arsenal manager, i'd be totally in agreement with their fans that he needs to go - based on his experience and current results.
So, I guess the only reason for wanting Ole to stay at OT is the hope that a legend can turn it around…..blind faith.
Depressing.

Alabaster Codify7

He already spent 150M this year, and looks set to strenghten in January and (if he's not sacked by then) beyond.

Ole is an expensive choice for a yes man. If glazer want to spend as little as possible he'd probably give it to allegri and bet you he can do better with 100M budget
No he didn't though did he, because they drew back 50% of that by selling Lukaku. The past two summers the Glazers have given the manager around £70m to spend. They've clearly tightened the pursestrings after seeing lots of cash wasted by LVG and Jose. Allegri would be fuming when we sell Pogba for £120m or something and replace him with Longstaff for half that amount.

Ole won't be. Ole will just be thankful to be there. That's the difference for me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No he didn't though did he, because they drew back 50% of that by selling Lukaku. The past two summers the Glazers have given the manager around £70m to spend. They've clearly tightened the pursestrings after seeing lots of cash wasted by LVG and Jose. Allegri would be fuming when we sell Pogba for £120m or something and replace him with Longstaff for half that amount.

Ole won't be. Ole will just be thankful to be there. That's the difference for me.
Well to the very least he's not much cheaper than the other lot. It's not like he's forced to used the youth. He choose to spend 150 budget on defender at the end of the day.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I desperately want Ole to succeed here, because I think it would be wonderful to have a club legend bring back some glory to OT (and there is a part of me every week hoping that this game will be the turning point), but the more we play, the more I think I have to accept this isn't going to be the case.
Just listening to TalkSport this morning and Arsenal fans phoning in and complaining about Emery, made me think how bad our situation is. Arsenal fans need to wake up and smell that coffee because their manager is a proven winner, and has a track record or winning trophies and improving players at the top level. Clearly, the Arsenal defence needs a lot of work before they can play more expansive football but, like us, Arsenal fans want instant gratification and results. I think they would be utterly daft to sack him now.
Twist that to us and we don't have such a luxury to compare our manager. Ole has no track record at the top level of football other than the disaster at Cardiff and what he's achieved at United. We will never know if persisting with him is going to reap rewards because he's never doing anything of not. If Ole was the Arsenal manager, i'd be totally in agreement with their fans that he needs to go - based on his experience and current results.
So, I guess the only reason for wanting Ole to stay at OT is the hope that a legend can turn it around…..blind faith.
Depressing.

He's not an unknown quantity. He managed for 10 years with cardiff and molde.

His quality is there for everyone to see, they just choose not to see it because quite frankly it's a bad 10 years. If you cant improve much in 10 years giving him another 5 wont make a difference.

Off course nobody expect molde to storm the championscup. But enough to implement an attacking play, what system he's building, how's his managerial skill, etc.

People are just looking for something, anything to live up the hope because we cant face the reality that we got it wrong big time charlie and our loveable ex legend turns out to be a schadenfreude

If this happens at liverpool with gerrard or carrager, or chelsea with lampard, or arsenal with henry we'd be rolling laughing on the floor

JoaquinJoaquin

Well when you factor in the sales it's not that much in reality. I very much doubt he will buy in January (or if he will it'll be a Mandzukic type) and then he will be sacked after when the usual continues to happen.

Last edited:

AneRu

Well to the very least he's not much cheaper than the other lot. It's not like he's forced to used the youth. He choose to spend 150 budget on defender at the end of the day.
Unfortunately you are right, we spent £130m on a couple of defenders and we are being heavily linked with another £80m on Rice, another overrated English player.

The thing is, even if he had £70m net to spend he made a couple of poor decisions on Maguire and AWB. He should have sort cheaper alternatives and squeezed in another midfielder.

Ole's time here is done, its just a matter of time. Going forward, if the Glazers have decided to tighten up the purse then the current system can't continue. We need to up our recruitment game big time and find a manager who isn't scared to work with young talent who can also improve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.