Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Having Ronaldo will surely make things easier for him now.

Chairman Steve

No more excuses. No more rebuilding. No more give him time. We now have one of the best teams in the world. We should be challenging for everything. He has been backed big time. Time to deliver.
Agreed

Even without the central midfielder which I would say we would need to round off this summer as amazing, OGS still has got a pretty good squad to choose from and a fecking GOAT as an option no less.

OleBoiii

It's a good thing we have a manager capable of pulling in such big name players. The best players in the world are lining up to play for Ole for a good reason.

OleBoiii

Good stuff. Time for that charismatic leader to deliver the goods. The stakes have risen massively with this totally unexpected transfer :drool:
Just like in The Matrix, the first step for our players is to realize that there is no midfield. Once that is done, everything will be much simpler :p

Warning: may give McT, Fred and Matic an existential crisis.

Robbie Boy

Just like in The Matrix, the first step for our players is to realize that there is no midfield. Once that is done, everything will be much simpler :p

Once the midfield is functional - which it is - we'll be fine. We just have to unleash Sancho, Bruno and Ronnie onto our opponents, and Maguire and Varane will mop up like bosses at the back.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
This is why its worth something to have someone who's associated with the club and has an understanding of its scope be the manager. This honestly reminds me of the old stories of SAF going to France to see Cantona and Varane and going to Giggs' home to convince his parents. I bemoaned that we just randomly pulled names out of a hat during the LvG and Jose years but didn't actively try to convince players to move here. It's so nice to have our Manchester United back.

Robbie Boy

This is why its worth something to have someone who's associated with the club and has an understanding of its scope be the manager. This honestly reminds me of the old stories of SAF going to France to see Cantona and Varane and going to Giggs' home to convince his parents. I bemoaned that we just randomly pulled names out of a hat during the LvG and Jose years but didn't actively try to convince players to move here. It's so nice to have our Manchester United back.
Our recruitment under LvG and Jose was pretty hideous.

United in sin

It's a good thing we have a manager capable of pulling in such big name players. The best players in the world are lining up to play for Ole for a good reason.
It's all about the money and Manchester united. Solskjaer hasn't won anything

OleBoiii

Our recruitment under LvG and Jose was pretty hideous.
Van Gaal was particularly shocking. He almost got everything wrong.

Oh well, at least he gave us Shaw(Herrera was also a good transfer, but I believe that the club had started on that before he arrived).

432JuanMata

My mate who hates United summed it up for me.

He said just because you can build a boat doesn’t mean you can sail. Perfect analogy for Ole. He has done amazing building this squad and it’s the best we have in years but now we need to challenge or it’s failure and the doubt he can do that is definitely there.

edcunited1878

Ole has always been up to the task and pressure. He's lived it as a player and knows what is expected.

How well the players link up and play together is a complete unknown. If something isn't working in the attacking lines, then he shouldn't have any issues going to the bench because it's amazing selections. Keep one of Fred or McTominay in the center, drop Pogba in there and you still have a Bruno, Cavani, Ronaldo, Sancho/Greenwood, etc ahead with maybe Shawberto on the left.

Just hope he and the coaches can find the right balance in the forward line and know how to accommodate the best players on the pitch, even if it means a Rashford, Greenwood, or Cavani is on the bench. Ronaldo shouldn't start every game either to be fair.

He'sRaldo

Ronaldo has been in this situation before. Best player in a super squad, facing up against a machine-like Guardiola team. And even at his peak it was difficult to match up against the efficiency with which Pep collected points.

All to say signing the 36 year old version of him won't be enough. Pep just knows how to clobber the smaller teams consistently and get result after result, even holding the points record in the PL. Ole will need more than just talent on the pitch to match that sort of consistency, and the way things have gone I'm not very optimistic. However, if City and the other teams wane just a bit and we smell blood, I can see us doing it.

Raveneye

Cantona: I know kung fu.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Zero excuses for him now :)

Let’s get this title yeah lads!! Who’s with me.
No, no, no. Dmc. Dmc. Dmc. Dmc. 10 excellent players and good depth are not good enough without world class dmc.

Mark my words. Dmc is excuse for this year

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
My mate who hates United summed it up for me.

He said just because you can build a boat doesn’t mean you can sail. Perfect analogy for Ole. He has done amazing building this squad and it’s the best we have in years but now we need to challenge or it’s failure and the doubt he can do that is definitely there.
Thats a shit analogy and obviously a United hater would think like that. It's just sad that United fans are buying it. But what exactly is the difference between "building" and "sailing" here? You're talking as if Ole has not managed two whole seasons and has only assembled a team in a FIFA save.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Fitting Ronaldo into the team is the real first test for Ole. No joking, no sarcasm. Ronaldo is both the ultimate weapon and ultimate problem. Problem because the team must be built around him. He proved to be a tactical headache for Sarri and Pirlo. arguably Allegri too. If Ole solves this puzzle and Ronnie improves us as a team, then Ole is The Boss.

432JuanMata

Thats a shit analogy and obviously a United hater would think like that. But What exactly is the difference between "making" and "sailing" here? You're talking as if Ole has not managed two whole seasons and has only assembled a team in a FIFA save.
No I feel it’s correct. Ole has done a great job in these 2 years he has fixed the positions that needed fixing and has made some serious squad while meeting/exceeding expectations but the doubt is there if he can take us and challenge it’s a acceptable doubt. This season we will see because anything other than challenging is failure for me

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
No I feel it’s correct. Ole has done a great job in these 2 years he has fixed the positions that needed fixing and has made some serious squad while meeting/exceeding expectations but the doubt is there if he can take us and challenge it’s a acceptable doubt. This season we will see because anything other than challenging is failure for me
But he hasn't just "fixed the squad" ffs! He's been beating Pep and Tuchel and Klopp with these "un-fixed" teams and topping points over the course of the season to different teams. The problem has always been the squad. Now that it is being fixed you'll see the same good things we've seen but more consistently. People talk as if winning the most points over the course of a season is a matter of "bottle" or "ability to win things", but's its always been about the team that has the quality and the mettle to win the game in front of them, consistently over the course of the season.

I think we're one of the best teams in the world at winning any given game. We just need to be at our best more consistently. The former is about the coach, the latter is about squad building. We've always had the former under Ole, and now we're getting the latter sorted.

432JuanMata

But he hasn't just "fixed the squad" ffs! He's been beating Pep and Tuchel and Klopp with these "un-fixed" teams and topping points over the course of the season to different teams. The problem has always been the squad. Now that it is being fixed you'll see the same good things we've seen but more consistently. People talk as if winning the most points over the course of a season is a matter of "bottle" or "ability to win things", but's its always been about the team that has the quality and the mettle to win the game in front of them, consistently over the course of the season.

I think we're one of the best teams in the world at winning any given game. We just need to be at our best more consistently. The former is about the coach, the latter is about squad building. We've always had the former under Ole, and now we're getting the latter sorted.
Beating these managers means nothing if we don’t beat the weaker teams.
You have mostly said what I was saying the squad was the problem and now we do have one of the best squads around so anything but a challenge is failure.

I’m not one of these that hates on Ole or wants him out I’m saying now we have to challenge and it’s up too him to do so. Hopefully he delivers as this is a exciting squad with a manager I love. Exciting times.

Shimo

I avoided the board all week because after last week's game, even with the Sancho and Varane signing, it was a kick in the teeth to be reminded why I have my doubts with Ole being able to manage wins in games that we should be winning and win us trophies. He does fantastic against some of the bigger teams but, then too many times, seems scared to make a move or just sticks to a specific minute to want to make a sub when the game has been calling for a change way before and even then that sub takes another 5-6 minutes. In a game where we were having hard time holding onto the ball, instead of an assured passer and player who can handle a press like VDB, brings on an injured McTominay and then finally in the 85th minute tries to bring on an attacker to win the game.

These games against lower opposition this season, every one should be played to get 3 points and anything less should be seen as a failure pretty much. There may be a game here or there where one of those teams may just be playing out of their skin but, Soton wasn't that on the day. Ole lack of killer instinct and decisiveness let them back into.

Ole has done fantastic with the build of the squad, the type of characters he wants at the club and instilled in the squad, talks beautifully pre/post game. But, now there can be no more excuses when it comes to deciding games. Not with the options he has and no bloody way we should be going into any game with a McFred or Matic/Fred/McT combination - not with Varane and Maguire back there and the absolute arsenal he has on the attacking side.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Beating these managers means nothing if we don’t beat the weaker teams.
You have mostly said what I was saying the squad was the problem and now we do have one of the best squads around so anything but a challenge is failure.

I’m not one of these that hates on Ole or wants him out I’m saying now we have to challenge and it’s up too him to do so. Hopefully he delivers as this is a exciting squad with a manager I love. Exciting times.
But you're making it as if that's a coaching issue and not a squad building issue. I'm arguing Ole's good results against the top coaches means his coaching is good enough. And I do think our lack of a proper forward that can control a ball and finish some chances hurt us against Southamption more than Ole's lack of coaching did.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole outers in pieces today. They don't know how to feel. Hahahaha.

If you're not behind him after today then you're no fan of this club whatsoever. Go and join one of the plastic ones.

432JuanMata

But you're making it as if that's a coaching issue and not a squad building issue. I'm arguing Ole's good results against the top coaches means his coaching is good enough. And I do think our lack of a proper forward that can control a ball and finish some chances hurt us against Southamption more than Ole's lack of coaching did.
I think it was a bit of both as we seen plenty of times the struggle against teams that sit deep. I agree that against Southampton we lacked a Cavani more than anything else.

Look I hope you are right that it was a squad issue as it means we will be successful and while I have my doubts on Ole challenging I’ll be so happy to be proving wrong.

ti vu

If the motive is right, I doubt Ole is the driving force in this decision. It's well reported SAF is the one doing the heavy lifting here. As the current manager Ole has some say, but I don't think as much as this tweet implied. Especially now we have Football director with power at least on equal term to Ole. Caring for club outlook without someone like SAF, is mostly directors' job.

BlueHaze

Apart from a decent CM he's practically been given everything he wanted now. No more excuses. Another trophyless season with the players he's got now should be seen as nothing but failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.