Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

Big test tonight. We need to win and stay in the cup. Hopefully Ole can get the team right and get us performing.
We have two nice wins in the league, but it is not going to feel good if we get knocked out of the EL this early.

Gasolin

Christ, that's a fecking weird thing to do. It's just unnecessary - no other clubs are having to do this, if the players are that lacking in motivation then either/or they and the management team needs to get out of the club. That locker room is earning a fecking fortune, some are stealing a living (including the manager who earns more than the world's best) - if they need outside motivation like this, they can do one.
Is it ok if Klopp does it then? Or SAF? But not Ole? Is there a reason for the different perception and connotation?

https://tribuna.com/en/liverpoolfc/news/3433391/

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Christ, that's a fecking weird thing to do. It's just unnecessary - no other clubs are having to do this, if the players are that lacking in motivation then either/or they and the management team needs to get out of the club. That locker room is earning a fecking fortune, some are stealing a living (including the manager who earns more than the world's best) - if they need outside motivation like this, they can do one.
Maybe do a bit of research before you post? This sort of thing happens all the time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
fecking hell :lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How do you know this?

And if other clubs don't, its because they don't have the foresight and wherewithal to gain access to such genius. Personally I think its brilliant that OGS and the club can access and utilise this kind of inspiration.

Some really idiotic reactions to anything OGS does. OleOut 'so called fans' have lost all rational objectivity, just to be right. Im guessing you'll be absolutely gutted if OGS does win the league, simply because you were wrong.

Davìd Moyéz

Is this for real? Looks like a parody of one of the pathetic OleOut Twitter pages.
"Ole hasn't turned our squad of misfits into title challengers in the space of 12 months so literally every single thing he does is terrible"

thepolice123

Didn't Fergie once brought Chilean miners who survived being trapped in some hole to the dressing room to motivate the players.

Of course if its Fergie, its is a masterclass in management. There are better things to moan on ffs.

Alabaster Codify7

Didn't Fergie once brought Chilean miners who survived being trapped in some hole to the dressing room to motivate the players.

Of course if its Fergie, its is a masterclass in management. There are better things to moan on ffs.

No that's true and it's also fecking weird. Utmost respect for those blokes, in fact I was actually at that very mine last year and received a small tour/talk on the entire situation. But it is still fecking weird, sorry.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is what team building is called. Christ, imagine being offended that Tyson Fury is going to give your guys a speech. The man is massively inspirational.

You know, the butthurt barometer has officially left the solar system and is on its way out of the galaxy at this rate.

Also.. you are DEAD wrong when you say other teams don't do this. Like dude, why have such a stern factual opinion if you don't know it's true?

Liverpool brought in Sebastian Steudtner, a German surfer, to help the players deal with the reality of stress, through.... a motivational speech.,
Manchester City brought in Rafael Nadal's UNCLE... 10 days ago. To give a motivational speech

And so forth. Clubs do this. Hearing outside perspectives from people who's had to overcome hardships, people who have achieved incredible things and so forth.. its just a very good idea to bring in outsiders to help shape perspective. These players all live in a bubble all season. Bringing in someone is just sound squad management and it'd be absolutely super if you could change your opinion on this, now that you know that the entire premise for your complaint, is wrong.

Last edited:

Classnordic

Maybe the lads have been talking about it, maybe its a big thing for them. Maybe just maybe it would be cool for them to meet Fury?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
No problem with Ole inviting Fury to speak. It's been done before and it's a reaffirmation of a lesson that you're never beaten until your beaten. Sometimes in the recent past, we've played as if we were beaten....Hopefully he stands by Lingard and glares at him :) and Pogbas agent...

passing-wind

Very good performance and good result, we need to maintain the consistency in the league. Bruno has been bedded into the first team very well.

SteveW

The only weird thing is your overreaction and unwavering commitment to being a miserable sod.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
To quote Tyson Fury quoting Gladiator: 'Are you not entertained?'

reddevil702

Very good performance, credit to Ole that first half was probably one of the best performances I've seen since he got the job permanently.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm still not sold on him, but I want to see how he does with Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Bruno all available.

Unfortunately, that won't happen. Rashford's probably out for the season and by the time he comes back Pogba will most likely be off.

el3mel

Credit to him today. That was the best attacking performance I have seen for United probably ever since his honeymoon period. We created shite ton since minute 1 and goals were bound to come. Yes they were a poor team and with a man sent off but we struggled against worse opponents previously.

Will be hard to change my opinion on him based on a string of good results but definitely if we produced the same performance today the upcoming matches and till the end of the season I may start to think about giving him one more season, regardless of qualification to CL.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
People will say 'its only Bruges' and they had 10 men. However, I remember getting a bore score draw against a 10 man Southampton. People were giving Ole a lot of flak after that and other awful results. So Ole deserves praise for a job done well last night.

Some have behaved like all we have needed was a genius coach, as if Pochettino could make Pereira into prime Kaka. With a squad as thin as ours Ole has done an admirable job. He's gotten great results against the big teams, while keeping us in the hunt for Champions League football when having to rely on Lingard etc for creativity against packed defences.

Now the board is finally allowing him to bring in better players we're looking better. We need to allow Ole to finish the rebuild he has started. Every single player he has brought to United has done the business for us. Why rip it up and start again when he's shown the eye for the exact type of player we need?

Rafaeldagold

At the end of the day for me it comes down to- is Ole the best manager we could have in world football ?

The answer is obviously no & he shouldn’t be here. Simple as that

Andersonson

At the end of the day for me it comes down to- is Ole the best manager we could have in world football ?

The answer is obviously no & he shouldn’t be here. Simple as that
He might be for the task he has been set to do. All his transfers has been good. All of them.

When was the last time that happend? He is buying players for the future of the club not players to get results tomorrow. Whenever he leaves the club, the club will be far far better off compared to LvG or Mourinho.

Ole works for the clubs best interest, not himself. For that, he might be the best one at the current time.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Always said Ole seemed out of his depth. I also said there are two ways out of being out of your depth.

1. Sink and drown
2. Learn to swim bloody quickly.

I've always hoped Ole was number 2 (no pun intended) and the signs at this moment are good. The players we have brought in under him have been the most sensible and cohesive signings for years. There can be no doubt that we now have a proper team. It's not perfect, but I really like our defence. Our midfield is in the best shape it's been in years. We have two young forwards who have scored us a good amount of goals.

At this point in time, things are looking much better than they have in 2 years so it would seem that Ole is turning out to be a number 2!

romufc

He might be for the task he has been set to do. All his transfers has been good. All of them.

When was the last time that happend? He is buying players for the future of the club not players to get results tomorrow. Whenever he leaves the club, the club will be far far better off compared to LvG or Mourinho.

Ole works for the clubs best interest, not himself. For that, he might be the best one at the current time.
Spot on. Alot on here do not realise this, he is not just building a squad for him, but for the future of Manutd.

If we appointed the best manager, they would not be happy with the squad, Ole has been positive about it. I have criticised him for this but that is the job.

Getting rid or Lukaku and all, his goal yesterday shows why we got rid of him.

He has given everyone in the squad a chance to prove themselves, some have some haven't.

The amount these players will learn is incredible. We have AWB, McT, James, Greenwood, Fred who are all relatively new to this team and apart from Fred new to top level football. They are getting such valuable experience when the chips are down.

I want to see how we fair for the rest of the season, consistency is Ole's biggest challenge till the end of the season.

If we can get top 4, I can see money spent on real quality players.

Lentwood

Whatever people think of Ole’s tactical ability, I think it’s impossible to argue that the squad is in the best shape it’s been in for a long time right now - possibly even going back pre-SAF if you take into account age profiles.

We’re finally in a position where we have a solid foundation of good, young, hungry footballers. Yes we still need to add depth and star quality but its far easier to do that when you have a base to work with

Alabaster Codify7

Great performance and result last night, exciting to watch, finally. I don't care if it was 9 men, it's still great. Let's see some consistency then...

Always said Ole seemed out of his depth. I also said there are two ways out of being out of your depth.

1. Sink and drown
2. Learn to swim bloody quickly.

I've always hoped Ole was number 2 (no pun intended) and the signs at this moment are good. The players we have brought in under him have been the most sensible and cohesive signings for years. There can be no doubt that we now have a proper team. It's not perfect, but I really like our defence. Our midfield is in the best shape it's been in years. We have two young forwards who have scored us a good amount of goals.

At this point in time, things are looking much better than they have in 2 years so it would seem that Ole is turning out to be a number 2!
Well I said when I made the "Now that's what I call a January window" thread that Ole (and the rest of the management team & transfer committee) has quickly learnt the lesson that our Summer was naive as feck and potentially ruined our season, maybe even next season too if we miss out on CL. With the Ighalo transfer there is absolutely no doubt that people had quickly learnt that the present is just as important as the future, as a manager there's no point planning for the future if you're not gonna be around to see it due to horrific results.

I also said after January and the €214m now spent on new players since Ole got the job that the excuses are gone, he's beefed up his squad again to a level where he can actually rest players and now is the time to show real progress. It's not about getting a CL spot or losing his job for me, it's about showing that between 1st Feb and 17th May that he can start winning a huge majority of the PL matches we play, 55% or so. Add a CL spot, a EL or FA Cup win and that will be beyond all expectations.

Kurton

Whatever people think of Ole’s tactical ability, I think it’s impossible to argue that the squad is in the best shape it’s been in for a long time right now - possibly even going back pre-SAF if you take into account age profiles.

We’re finally in a position where we have a solid foundation of good, young, hungry footballers. Yes we still need to add depth and star quality but its far easier to do that when you have a base to work with
Agreed, though I still think spending 80 million on a CB was not necessary. I'm still not sure if Ole can do consistently well in PL against defensive sides. We really need to address the RW and striker positions. To me Dan James is not a RW and Martial is not very reliable.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That is exactly what is one of main problems for Ole out group. Isn't that managers job? To build his own coaching team?
We are not some training center for managers. We should be top challenge (last level) in football job. For managers and players. You prove yourself elsewhere and then you come in United. Which Solskjaer didn't do. He got the job because of pure nepotism
Like Pep Guardiola, Mauricio Pochettino and Zinedine Zidane did?

This isn't an argument. But moreover, it's a super weird argument following a spell of 7 games with a record of 5W 2D and a grand total of 1 goal allowed in that time.

Absolutely but you also have to give the club massive credit on this, they pissed Mourinho off something rotten adding the transfer committee in 2018 and vetoing transfers like Perišić and Willian, approving instead Fred and Dalot, but it's looking now like it was a good move for the long run.

Thisistheone

Hats off to him for last night and the last 4 weeks since the Burnley horror show.

He deserves praise for his signings and sales. The long term view he's taking is refreshing to see. Even if it's been a painful process.

Massive shame that Rashford and Pogba won't be part of this side from now til the end of the season. Think we could have flown into the top 4 if so.

Lentwood

Absolutely but you also have to give the club massive credit on this, they pissed Mourinho off something rotten adding the transfer committee in 2018 and vetoing transfers like Perišić and Willian, approving instead Fred and Dalot, but it's looking now like it was a good move for the long run.
I agree but I think this (and the appointment of Ole) is part of our transition away from being an 'old-school' football club run by the manager to a more modern set-up

The problem with being run solely by a manager is that it's a conflict of interest. Say your job depends on achieving the best results possible in any given season....of course you're going to favour Perisic and Willian over Dan James/Rashford/Greenwood. However, as we all know, for the long-term good of the club it's far better to introduce younger players with greater longevity.

Alabaster Codify7

I agree but I think this (and the appointment of Ole) is part of our transition away from being an 'old-school' football club run by the manager to a more modern set-up

The problem with being run solely by a manager is that it's a conflict of interest. Say your job depends on achieving the best results possible in any given season....of course you're going to favour Perisic and Willian over Dan James/Rashford/Greenwood. However, as we all know, for the long-term good of the club it's far better to introduce younger players with greater longevity.

I think that's a good summary, Jose was brought in for nothing more than immediate success so it's obvious he was going to target seasoned veterans who might bring him this success. I obviously prefer the new approach, and backed the board in denying Jose those players above but at the same time, you do not extend his contract in the first place. A completely reactive, nonsensical style of management of a club.

zenith

Could we have thread marks for this thread as well, since I'm very sure that opinions will continue to change from game to game and its anybodys guess as to what will happen after Everton game.

Aye, can't disagree with any of that @Lentwood.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Could we have thread marks for this thread as well, since I'm very sure that opinions will continue to change from game to game and its anybodys guess as to what will happen after Everton game.
Bookies give us around a 1 in 3 chance of winning (Everton are favourites) so I think we know what to expect on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.