Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's not surprising. This season only Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Leicester have more wins. And if you add that winning streak from Solskjærs first months, it's not surprising that in total we are third in wins from Dec2018-March2020.
I'd say it's very surprising. We had a great start, but tailed off massively. We were in relegation form at the end of last season. Add to that the fact that chelsea finished above us last season, and are above us right now.

Gasolin

What about total points though? Counting only wins seems like a bizarre metric.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=12&max=29

It is commonly accepted that it took us 11 games to get our act together after a disastrous beginning of the season.
So from match day 12 to 29 = 17 games and 51 possible pts.

32 pts on par with City but they have a game in hand (62.7% of possible pts).
3rd best wins with 9 wins on par with Leicester (52.9% of win rate).
3rd best attack on par with Leicester with 31 goals.
4th best defense with 19 goals conceded.

Yes, we should do better, but this is a big change compared to the first 11 games, and things are taking shape now.
It seems there is a real plan to move things in the right direction.

EPL2020

Amarsdd

I can't believe how some people are paid to comment on football without absolutely no knowledge of the game except knowing the scores and the stats. I am watching Off The Ball - The football show and whilte the United supporting guy was getting a little bit optimistic about United, the other guy literally said "United cannot always hang their hat on counter-attacking football against City (even if it wasn't the case), just look at how Leicester is dominating Villa " ....

The Urban Goose

I can't believe how some people are paid to comment on football without absolutely no knowledge of the game except knowing the scores and the stats. I am watching Off The Ball - The football show and whilte the United supporting guy was getting a little bit optimistic about United, the other guy literally said "United cannot always hang their hat on counter-attacking football against City (even if it wasn't the case), just look at how Leicester is dominating Villa " ....
Comment deleted for being inflammatory.

Tarrou

No idea why Darren Bent is on a United fan channel but for what it's worth he thinks Ole's doing a good job

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
For the first time since his appointment, i can see progress. Our defense looks solid. Im very happy with our midfield, which i haven't been able to say since 2008 or so. Some of our worse players (Lingard, Andreas) have been marginalized to appearances in lesser games, whereas a month back they were starting. Our number 10 hit the ground running, and is looking like a great signing.

For the first time in a long time, i'm looking forward to games and im optimistic.

Having said all that, i really hope we don't make decisions when we're on a high, as we saw last year how quickly things can change. Judgement on Ole for the long term job should be reserved till the end of the season.

mu4c_20le

What a turnaround after we were struggling to even register a shot on target against the likes of Astana not too long ago. I really missed watching us thrash teams 4-0 and 5-0, which we've done many times this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Last 11 games - 8 wins and 3 draws. 9 clean sheets.
29 goals scored and 2 conceded.

Very good record.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So after struggling for years to put teams to the sword by scoring 5 or more goals, since Solskjaer initially took over we've managed it 4 times. It's a lot more enjoyable than going 2-0 up and shutting up shop.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Last 11 games - 8 wins and 3 draws. 9 clean sheets.
29 goals scored and 2 conceded.

Very good record.
This is incredible. A huge shame that the season has (most likely) come to an abrupt end.

In truth, this is all most of us wanted to see. Consistency. The win the other day was more than enough for me to say that I want him to have another season - albeit he almost certainly and deservedly will. 16 wins, 5 draws and 5 losses in all comps which is the equivalent of 53 points from 26 games which, imo, is great progress from the dreadful start to the season.

Web of Bissaka

Not too surprising, since in the same period of time, the other top teams (minus City and Pool who were more consistent) were also struggling.

We also had two full moons with Ole which bumped the stat.

Credit where it's due.

Caretaker Ole (Dec 18 to March 19 ?) ~ amazing football reflect into wins
Manager Ole (Apr 19 ? to Jan 20 ?) ~ inconsistent and somehow the football were normally rubbish
Manager Ole (Feb 20 ? to early March 20) ~ superb football reflect into wins

Kag

He has, so far, done a stunning job with the make up of the squad. With all of the ins and (mostly) outs, there’s a clear picture of where we need to improve on the field in the next transfer window - whenever on earth that may be.

Can’t thank him enough.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A year in permanent charge. A lot of you thought he'd be gone by last Christmas.
Lets be honest it was looking quite rocky, it wasn't a great start to the season and there was a lot of frustration around - but it shows that sometimes you have to be patient and understand the circumstances were quite extreme. He took a big risk in trusting the board and letting them get rid of Lukaku/Sanchez to free up the wage bill, and i'm glad that Woodward stuck to his word and clearly backed him and trusted him. I was worried he would succumb to the pressure and go back on his word.

The last month or 2 we've been excellent, some great performances mixed in with some dogged ones also. That record posted above is extremely impressive and if we could keep that up across the season we'd be right up there.

I just hope this break isn't going to restart any confidence/fitness we built up. For me though Ole has proved he has what it takes, his recruitment seems on point and the squad seem as happy as ever. Lets be real though every team needs better players, Pep couldn't get a tune out of his aging fullbacks when he first joined City for instance.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Only disappointment is that he'd have given Jose and Spurs a proper hiding if the fixture went ahead as planned and triggered the mother of all meltdowns. Jose is still taking pot shots at him even when asked for a quote in an article on Nuno.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Poor today. Matic is our only DM, why did he drop him? Everyone knows our defence gets exposed when Matic doesn't play. Why didn't Pogba come on at HT?

Silas

Just want to hear his explanation of why he essentially wasted a third of the second half by delaying subs that were clear to everyone about half an hour earlier.

el3mel

I think the lineup was spot on and we were on control of the match up till their goal. His subs were very courageous and brought us back into the game. Was really impressed and pleased when he put on Matic for Lindelof and went full attacking, then put in Bailly after the draw to balance us again. Great from him imo and I haven't been his biggest fan this season.

But today was a great attacking display and any day we would have won 3-1 easily.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Still needs to figure out how to play against deep sitting sides. Was bailed out by a moment of brilliance from Pogba.

Good news is, he's going to have plenty of practice over the next few games.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Starting both McTominay & Fred deep away against a Jose team, with Matic & Pogba on the bench is almost criminal. Same old build up problems we've seen with Pogba now with Bruno... Subs 15 mins too late.

I expected much more creativity and confidence on the ball from the team. Pretty rubbish today i thought.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Can’t really legislate for the way we conceded, and tbf he’s had to deal with a lot of those over the season. Pogba should have started however, it was obvious Spurs were going to sit back with their midfield with the onus on us to break them down. The game actually started for us when he finally came on, arguably 15mins too late. Ole seems to want to wait until the clock hits a certain time for no apparent reason what so ever which is frustrating.

Paul_Scholes18

He is too defensive. Should have attacked the game much more from the start and with the subs.
Top 4 going to be almost impossible to get now. Need to hope that Chelsea slip up a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.