Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
And you are wrong on the Klopp side. His first match had them running 116km - a visible increase of how they have been performing until that point. Their backline has Sakho, Moreno and fecking Caulker in the first season. Were they inconsistent ?- ofcourse but he didn't take 18 months to settle things down.
It did actually. In Klopps second season they started off strong having a fairly long unbeaten run (like ours) but they fell apart in the 2nd half of the season. They were knocked out of both domestic cups during this awful run, 2 wins in 11 games.

CompetitionOppononetScoreResult
FA CupPlymouth0-0Drew
EFL CupSouthampton1-0Lost
Premier LeagueManchester United1-1Drew
FA CupPlymouth0-1Won
Premier LeagueSwansea2-3Lost
EFL CupSouthampton0-1Lost
FA CupWolves1-2Lost
Premier LeagueChelsea1-1Drew
Premier LeagueHull City2-0Lost
Premier LeagueSpurs2-0Won
Premier LeagueLeicester3-1Lost

Lam

Growing into the role. Very impressive turnaround after the disastrous first half.

He’s a winner and he’ll find a way to make this team one too. Needs to get a few cups under his belt and challenge for the title in the next 2-3 years to really cement his place as a manager. After that it will be much easier for him to run things the way he wants, get the right players, coaches, etc.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You let the result to blind you, that’s why you are delusional. When clearly, it’s not about result alone. The philosophy he’s trying to build for the club including the system & playing style he’s trying to implemented for the team. You failed to see the deep that shows the bigger picture because you only view the surface that only show little thing.

So now you’re making excuses they had Sakho, Moreno & Caulker? According to your agenda Ole should be able to work his way out with average players like Lingard & Pereira but somehow the agenda doesn’t suit if the manager’s name is Klopp.

He didn’t need Bruno & Pogba to beat City, Chelsea & Spurs after one year. So what BS excuse you will come out next?
Why don't you go back and read my post again ? The delusion levels are so high that you can't even read things properly.

Read again, come back with your response while I will wait .

Makelele

United would take a big risk by not sticking with this guy at this point. As an outsider, this is the first time since Ferguson left that I feel United look like United again. He had the guts to take some tough decisions, like going away from Lukaku and sticking hard with the young talents of the club. He has managed to keep the dressing room, and not looked flustered in the face of massive pressure. Give credit. Very exciting times for United fans.

Reactions: Sultan

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I’ve always been Ole in. And im pretty sure he’s here to stay. Happy for him, what a turn around past few months. Just need little bit more quality, some small upgrades on the pitch and then I see a great title challenging squad!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We’d be even better if we had a fantastic left back and another central defender possibly.

Gasolin

Why don't you go back and read my post again ? The delusion levels are so high that you can't even read things properly.

Read again, come back with your response while I will wait .
You’re not reading mate, Klopp struggled and it took him 3, 4 years to even start to have a competitive team that was consistent. It tells you that beyond the system, you need the right players. Ole is getting there and might even get there faster than Klopp so hang tight and watch. The team deserves support after seeing that mentality shift we’ve been craving for.

keithsingleton

Ole's defensively inept? Do you think he's telling Maguire to close down players tamely and with his legs wide open in the box? Or telling De Gea to leave his near post exposed? Or Matic to send chest-high short range passes back to his centre backs.
These are not tactics, they're individual mistakes.

There is work still to do defensively and that may well mean new players coming in, but saying he's inept defensively because of individual mistakes is nonsense. Particularly as we've had some tactically strong defensive performances this season.
Well we will see how he handles the transfer market then won't we?? Maguire lacks a yard of pace surlely he can see that? At worse he needs another defender to join Maguire. We have no present issues at the front. All our problems are at the back.

I seriously hope he addresses the problem before we start next season because if he doesn't we will only be in top 4 which simply isn't good enough for a team like us.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You’re not reading mate, Klopp struggled and it took him 3, 4 years to even start to have a competitive team that was consistent. It tells you that beyond the system, you need the right players. Ole is getting there and might even get there faster than Klopp so hang tight and watch. The team deserves support after seeing that mentality shift we’ve been craving for.
Spot on.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Well we will see how he handles the transfer market then won't we?? Maguire lacks a yard of pace surlely he can see that? At worse he needs another defender to join Maguire. We have no present issues at the front. All our problems are at the back.

I seriously hope he addresses the problem before we start next season because if he doesn't we will only be in top 4 which simply isn't good enough for a team like us.
I'm not sure I agree with your point about our attack. It's been our attack that has been substandard this season. Signing Bruno, Pogba returning and Greenwood developing have all worked in our favour to make us stronger in the second half of the season, but we're still short of quality outside those starters.

That said, I do agree that the defence could do with more strengthening so I'm not against us upgrading Maguire's partner.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

Do you want us to get Sancho?

MiracleInMadrid

He looks far more assured and comfortable in his role. His demeanour during the matches and in interviews tells me that something has clicked for him. Both tactically, but most of all in how he is managing his squad. We have a good mix of senior players with impressive CVs, young and hungry talents, upcoming superstars, but also squad players with a limited potential. He is making everyone seem happy and focused on the performance of the team.

Martial is smiling again, Pogba has gone from talking about leaving to looking more focused than ever, Matic has also gone from criticizing his role publicly to being a key player. A lot of players seem to have let go of the diva attitude, and now present the best version of themselves in every match. Fantastic to see.

georgipep

He looks far more assured and comfortable in his role. His demeanour during the matches and in interviews tells me that something has clicked for him. Both tactically, but most of all in how he is managing his squad. We have a good mix of senior players with impressive CVs, young and hungry talents, upcoming superstars, but also squad players with a limited potential. He is making everyone seem happy and focused on the performance of the team.

Martial is smiling again, Pogba has gone from talking about leaving to looking more focused than ever, Matic has also gone from criticizing his role publicly to being a key player. A lot of players seem to have let go of the diva attitude, and now present the best version of themselves in every match. Fantastic to see.
He has his team winning games. Journalists have stopped asking questions about Pogba leaving or staying and the overall mood is quite positive. Working in a positive environment makes a huge difference and a manager's demeanour is a result of those factors.

It looks like he has the complete trust and backing of the playing staff, has some level of understanding with the decision-makers above him and looks ready for pre-season. I'm sure he will keep saying positive messages in public regardless of how we fare in securing his first choice targets.

keithsingleton

I'm not sure I agree with your point about our attack. It's been our attack that has been substandard this season. Signing Bruno, Pogba returning and Greenwood developing have all worked in our favour to make us stronger in the second half of the season, but we're still short of quality outside those starters.

That said, I do agree that the defence could do with more strengthening so I'm not against us upgrading Maguire's partner.
Attacking we're doing ok but yeah a out and out striker would be a bonus. Personally I just have our defensive issues a bigger priority.

Do you want us to get Sancho?
In a ideal world hell yeah, who wouldn't. I just think Ole needs to work on his defensive options and tactics first.

Dante

Average bang
Our average possession for the league season was 54%.

Since the break, it's been 65%.

Now, obviously, the quality of the opposition will play a big factor in that. But the fact we've been scoring shit loads of goals without needing to resort to counterattacks all the time is so fecking gratifying.

bond19821982

Mate - if you want to be part of the discussions, you are most welcome however I would recommend reading the whole context probably from the very first OP on this topic. My original point had nothing to do with Klopp and so, it still stands.

Now if you really want a comparison with Klopp style - Klopp' team had an average distance covered of 4 kms more than what it used to be under Rodgers. Klopp got 48 points from the first 30 but got 78 points in the first full season ( 2.05 ppg). He also had a much inferior team and less money to work with. Now Ole is in his first full season with more money and better players. Would we achieve the same tally (1.66 ppg currently)? Probably no, but we may still win couple of cups.

So, I have my own reasons to wait until end of the season to make my decision. So how exactly its deluded ?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mate - if you want to be part of the discussions, you are most welcome however I would recommend reading the whole context probably from the very first OP on this topic. My original point had nothing to do with Klopp and so, it still stands.

Now if you really want a comparison with Klopp style - Klopp' team had an average distance covered of 4 kms more than what it used to be under Rodgers. Klopp got 48 points from the first 30 but got 78 points in the first full season ( 2.05 ppg). He also had a much inferior team and less money to work with. Now Ole is in his first full season with more money and better players. Would we achieve the same tally (1.66 ppg currently)? Probably no, but we may still win couple of cups.

So, I have my own reasons to wait until end of the season to make my decision. So how exactly its deluded ?
You are deluded because you couldn’t see the reality that beyond the system, manager needs the right players. The only thing you can see it as progress is if we get top 4. Whether it’s Klopp, Pep or whoever they are doesn’t matter, they are just part of example that managers need the right players to be consistent and need time to rebuild the team. You can’t expect consistency result and performance from Lingard & Pereira.

The progress can still be viewed in any situation whether we are getting top 4 or no. You want to wait until end of the season then hold your BS comment until end of the season instead of calling 15 or 16 games unbeaten run as problem now.

bond19821982

You are deluded because you couldn’t see the reality that beyond the system, manager needs the right players. The only thing you can see it as progress is if we get top 4. Whether it’s Klopp, Pep or whoever they are doesn’t matter, they are just part of example that managers need the right players to be consistent and need time to rebuild the team. You can’t expect consistency result and performance from Lingard & Pereira.

The progress can still be viewed in any situation whether we are getting top 4 or no. You want to wait until end of the season then hold your BS comment until end of the season instead of calling 15 or 16 games unbeaten run as problem now.
Dude , we spoke about this. Just move on. Don't keep coming back with the BS arguments with the usual brainless logic. I am just not going to respond again.

If you got something with data, reply accordingly. If its the same shit just spare me please.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dude , we spoke about this. Just move on. Don't keep coming back with the BS arguments with the usual brainless logic. I am just not going to respond again.

If you got something with data, reply accordingly. If its the same shit just spare me please.
You're not reading mate.

Your opinion only matter end of the season, best thing for you is to ignore this thread until end of the season. Stop talking if you only want to judge him end of the season.

Charles89

Our average possession for the league season was 54%.

Since the break, it's been 65%.

Now, obviously, the quality of the opposition will play a big factor in that. But the fact we've been scoring shit loads of goals without needing to resort to counterattacks all the time is so fecking gratifying.
Regardless of the opposition, I feel like we have been able to keep the ball much better since the break, our defenders had been able to successfully play out from the back even under pressure, which is a day and night difference compare to last year when Smalling or Young would have smash it out for a throw when the opponents get 10m within them. Another thing is we tend to recycle the ball much better, rather than aimlessly run the ball down to the other end of the field and just blindly crossing it, we now would look for clear passing options more often, until a chance opens up.

Also, since Bruno's arrival, he has been the general of our pressing, telling our attackers who to press and when to press, and he would lead by example with his pressing intensity, which I think has brought Martial's pressing to another level and our overall pressing game has stepped up a level too. Therefore, by us recovering possession quickly, we naturally would have more of the ball.

Reactions: Penna

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

There are three recent managerial achievements that have not received much notice:

Unlike many other clubs, no player brought the club into disrepute during covid19 lockdown. In fact several players distinguished themselves with amazing community social work, Rashford leading the way. I’m sure Ole had a serious chat on his expectations for his squad to be role models during the covid19 crisis.

Secondly is how fit and strong every player has come back, some making fitness transformations: eg Greenwood gaining muscle mass, Matic recharging his legs, Pogba and Rashford coming back after lengthy injuries.

And in anticipation of getting Pogba and Rashford back, OGS creates a new style of play with Matic Pogba and Bruno playing behind MMM, and improving Shaw and AWB as attacking threats.

It’s very evident that OGS and his coaching team took the best advantage of lockdown period vs his peers with a lot of strategic and detailed squad management.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We've made progress in every single aspect of our game. Someone mentioned how we couldn't pass from the back last season but even this season we couldn't handle a press. Really need to move up from 5th. We've been in that position for too long.

romufc

Really glad for Ole. There were alot of doubts but he is showing the type of football wanted to play. There was no way he could get us playing like this with half of the squad we played earlier. A couple more signings will push us closer to the top imo.

bondsname

If Ole keeps this up we may have a manager for 20 years again. He will never leave us.

theklr

My main concern now is that every achievement this season is still down to the wire . Will be so small margins that decide this. We could play excellent football but still miss out on both cups and CL spot, and then the cycle of doubt and criticism will start again.

It will be a severe blow even if Ole in my eyes already have proved himself. But then Pogba might not sign a new contract and it starts beeing difficult again.

El Zoido

My main concern now is that every achievement this season is still down to the wire . Will be so small margins that decide this. We could play excellent football but still miss out on both cups and CL spot, and then the cycle of doubt and criticism will start again.

It will be a severe blow even if Ole in my eyes already have proved himself. But then Pogba might not sign a new contract and it starts beeing difficult again.
CL football isn’t the be all end all, this team is going to be good next season whether we’re in the CL or not. The most frustrating aspect would be games on a Thursday night again. I really hope we get there but it won’t be the end of the world if we miss out.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Wow, some serious enthusiasm for Ole in here and of course I get it, we all want him of all people to do well.
I’m almost ready to join in but he faces a few big tests:

1.Is he prepared to get rid of club legend David De Gea?
2. Is he prepared to admit he got Maguire completely wrong and replace him?
3. Can he convince high profile players that they will achieve at Man United?

The next window will determine his success or failure. Need three signings minimum and recall Dean Henderson.

I’m delighted things have started to turn around. He has put a nice shape on the team and tactically I think he is very good. However, the job is not done until United are champions again.

Wow, some serious enthusiasm for Ole in here and of course I get it, we all want him of all people to do well.

The next window will determine his success or failure. Need three signings minimum and recall Dean Henderson.

I’m delighted things have started to turn around. He has put a nice shape on the team and tactically I think he is very good. However, the job is not done until United are champions again.
he hasn’t got it wrong with Maguire.

he’s already said Henderson will be Utd no.1 at some point. Whilst DDG is going through a rough time, there’s no point in just getting rid of him if we don’t have the right player lined up to replace him.

He won’t have any issues in bringing players to Utd. it’s not about the manager these days, it’s about the club - just look at the likes of Real, Barca and Chelsea over the last decade, most of their managers don’t last long and half the time they have no profile at all, and still clearly have no problem in bringing in players.

Nickelodeon

He may not have been worth 80 million but he is easily our and England's best CB. We have multiple problems to solve but Maguire is one of the least urgent ones.

midnightmare

I don't get the Maguire hate. Seriously. CB is a position where we need pairings and I think Maguire fits (to a tee) the bill of requirements for one half of a great partnership. Excellent in the air at both ends and good range of passing. The issue is that the other half of the partnership requires someone with great pace and interception. Also, needs to be impossible to "bully". And on all these counts, Lindelof doesn't meet requirements. He's not quick, not good in the air and is easily bullied in possession. So the requirement isn't to replace Maguire - but to get a great partner to complement him.

Normally, Bailly could be assessed as being ideal - but he's never fit and is prone to absolute brainfarts every game!

As for convincing high-profile players, the evidence is:
1. He seems to have brought a disillusioned Pogba (doesn't get higher profile) back onside
2. Seems to have positioned himself well to get Sancho (again high profile)
3. He's targeting (and getting) the right players - and the ones he wants
4. The project will do the talking; I think we fans overestimate the importance of "manager CV" in how players make decisions

Edit: On DDG:
Are we convinced that Henderson won't make the number / type of errors DDG is making? Specially under the OT spotlight? Hendo just made a couple of howlers and not a mention is made in the headlines. At OT, he'd be absolutely slaughtered - specially as a new keeper. I still recall the witch-hunt that DDG was subjected to in his first season. He was far poorer for us that season than he'd been for Atleti the season before - and this when Atleti are bigger in Spain than SHU are in England. We shall have to trust Ole and the staff to get this right. To date, he's shown himself to be ruthless in making the right calls. I think we should trust him to get this one right too.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What I really like right now is that at this point with both Jose and LvG, it was fairly evident that it wasn't going to work out with them and that they had gone backwards.

We're now to an extent seeing the fruits of Ole's vision. He's shipped out some deadwood, cut the wage bill, brought through youth players and been far more successful in the window than past managers. On top of that, we're now playing the best football we've played in almost a decade and learning the art of winning.

This will almost certainly be the post that ensures all the good work collapses, but it's all rather promising right now isn't it!?

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

Don't see why people don't think he will be ruthless, as soon as he arrived Lukakus time at the club was over.

Kag

1. It’s obvious that Henderson is the long term replacement for De Gea. Ole clearly isn’t arsed about replacing under performing players.
2. Maguire isn’t a mistake and doesn’t need to be replaced. He’s the most consistent (ever-present) defender we’ve had in years and is clearly a fantastic influence in the dressing room.
3. I have no idea. Players aren’t too fussed about who the manager of a club is. United need to do some good business this summer, and I trust Ole to have recommended the right players for the job.

Ole has already been a (relative) success. He might not win titles or take the club back to the very top, but he’ll be the first man in seven years to have had an idea of what he’s doing. He’ll be the first man in that time to leave the club in a better position in which it was inherited. Will we be champions? I have no idea. But I’d like to think the next few years will be a little more fun to watch.

crossy1686

career ending
Don't see why people don't think he will be ruthless, as soon as he arrived Lukakus time at the club was over.
Solksjaer's already proven he's willing to take a short term loss for a long term gain, he'd have anyone out the door tomorrow if he thought they weren't pulling in the right direction for the club. We've actually got a manager who puts the club first and some people want to replace him with a manager who's only interest is their CV.

Status
Not open for further replies.