Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriac

There are three recent managerial achievements that have not received much notice:

Unlike many other clubs, no player brought the club into disrepute during covid19 lockdown. In fact several players distinguished themselves with amazing community social work, Rashford leading the way. I’m sure Ole had a serious chat on his expectations for his squad to be role models during the covid19 crisis.
Almost true. Marcos Rojo did, several times, even after being criticized by United for it.

It's easy to forget about him when he's on loan, especially to another part of the world, and I guess he has kinda forgot about us, at least don't care anymore, as he wants to leave on a permanent.

I don't think anyone held his actions truly against us cause of the mitigating factors, but still worth pointing out.
Especially as it showcases how removing bad apples from our team is still a process that Ole has been working on for a while.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Almost true. Marcos Rojo did, several times, even after being criticized by United for it.
It's easy to forget about him when he's on loan, especially to another part of the world, and I guess he has kinda forgot about us, at least don't care anymore, as he wants to leave on a permanent.
I don't think anyone held his actions truly against us cause of the mitigating factors, but still worth pointing out.
Especially as it showcases how removing bad apples from our team is still a process that Ole has been working on for a while.
I missed that. just read about it.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I hope we finish in top 4. I think after this season ends someone should compile a list of the progress we've made over the course of this season and the last. You certainly can't sack a man that has made good progress

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't get the Maguire hate. Seriously. CB is a position where we need pairings and I think Maguire fits (to a tee) the bill of requirements for one half of a great partnership. Excellent in the air at both ends and good range of passing. The issue is that the other half of the partnership requires someone with great pace and interception. Also, needs to be impossible to "bully". And on all these counts, Lindelof doesn't meet requirements. He's not quick, not good in the air and is easily bullied in possession. So the requirement isn't to replace Maguire - but to get a great partner to complement him.

Normally, Bailly could be assessed as being ideal - but he's never fit and is prone to absolute brainfarts every game!

As for convincing high-profile players, the evidence is:
1. He seems to have brought a disillusioned Pogba (doesn't get higher profile) back onside
2. Seems to have positioned himself well to get Sancho (again high profile)
3. He's targeting (and getting) the right players - and the ones he wants
4. The project will do the talking; I think we fans overestimate the importance of "manager CV" in how players make decisions

Edit: On DDG:
Are we convinced that Henderson won't make the number / type of errors DDG is making? Specially under the OT spotlight? Hendo just made a couple of howlers and not a mention is made in the headlines. At OT, he'd be absolutely slaughtered - specially as a new keeper. I still recall the witch-hunt that DDG was subjected to in his first season. He was far poorer for us that season than he'd been for Atleti the season before - and this when Atleti are bigger in Spain than SHU are in England. We shall have to trust Ole and the staff to get this right. To date, he's shown himself to be ruthless in making the right calls. I think we should trust him to get this one right too.
“Hate” is not my thing but I have serious doubts about Maguire. Maybe the right CB partner could make things right but Harry has major vulnerabilities and it doesn’t take a genius opposition manager to exploit them.

I take your point about Pogba and if he gets Sancho signed up then I agree it’s positive.

I also know that there are no guarantees about Henderson but with keepers, once they start to slide, you have to get rid. They never come back. Harsh on such a club legend but unavoidable if we want to be the best.

midnightmare

“Hate” is not my thing but I have serious doubts about Maguire. Maybe the right CB partner could make things right but Harry has major vulnerabilities and it doesn’t take a genius opposition manager to exploit them.

I take your point about Pogba and if he gets Sancho signed up then I agree it’s positive.

I also know that there are no guarantees about Henderson but with keepers, once they start to slide, you have to get rid. They never come back. Harsh on such a club legend but unavoidable if we want to be the best.
Oh, totally with you on DDG. Couple of seasons ago, I compared him with Casillas in terms of how I expected the slide to go and sadly, I was not too far off in saying he'd decline earlier than most keepers, just like San Iker did, since he relies on reflexes and phenomenal shot-stopping to overcome other shortcomings. Such keepers, more than others like Big Pete and VDS, tend to decline at ages seen more with outfield and forward players who also rely on pace and reflexes. That said, he's not yet gone off the cliff, isn't as old as Iker was when he did go into terminal decline and is on insane wages (nobody will buy him).

As such, if we feel Henderson won't be a dramatic upgrade and - more importantly - feel Kovar may be the better long-term (2 years, for example) option, I can easily see Ole paying DDG back by retaining faith in him for another season at least. For the record, I don't buy into the whole "He stood by us when we were crap, so we owe it to him to just keep him" spiel. I am also (I know it well) in the minority that do feel that DDG's errors this season are a large part of our being outside the Top 4 as things stand. I'd however like us to nail the replacement. Should not go half-cock and find ourselves worse off. If we are in the least bit concerned about whether Henderson would be an improvement and / or whether he is ready yet to handle the role and all that comes with it, I'd rather stick with the known devil and hope he can pull out his best for one more season.

On Maguire - I'd argue that each CB has vulnerabilities. Even Rio and Vidic had them and so does Koulibaly. None is perfect. So the key is to find the right partnership in which the two cover for each other's deficiencies. Between Maguire and Lindelof, I would pick Maguire every day of the week. That leaves us to cover his inadequacies which are primarily around speed and pace of recovery (turning) when possession is turned over. That's why I said I'd rather get a partner for Maguire than bin Maguire. Lindelof isn't "great" or even "among the best" at any single aspect of being a CB. Harry is.

PS: In terms of keepers that came back after being completely written off, well, there is van der Sar!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Maguire pretty much has been solid and improving our defense this season. He will be starter in all the PL teams now. He’s no 1 England centre back above Joe Gomez in pecking order and Pep wanted to sign him. If he can be starter in our team, Liverpool & City then he’s also starter for the other 17 teams in the league.

I’m not sure what’s your problem with him, it was the right signing. Leadership, commanding, ball playing, compliment Lindelof & Bailly weakness as someone who can win header and good in sensing danger.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You're not reading mate.

Your opinion only matter end of the season, best thing for you is to ignore this thread until end of the season. Stop talking if you only want to judge him end of the season.
So let me get this right- you quote me on a conversation, then come up with some weird generic arguments, call the poster deluded and then advice the poster not to enter the thread until season end ?? Brilliant!

So maybe you should just bore off and stop with your nonsense determining what others should or shouldn't do.Don't get riled up so easily buddy. Its not worth it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So let me get this right- you quote me on a conversation, then come up with some weird generic arguments, call the poster deluded and then advice the poster not to enter the thread until season end ?? Brilliant!

So maybe you should just bore off and stop with your nonsense determining what others should or shouldn't do.Don't get riled up so easily buddy. Its not worth it.
You are the one who said to wait until end of the season not me, why don't you hold your comment to end of the season if that's how you want to judge the manager.

westmeath

Maguire pretty much has been solid and improving our defense this season. He will be starter in all the PL teams now. He’s no 1 England centre back above Joe Gomez in pecking order and Pep wanted to sign him. If he can be starter in our team, Liverpool & City then he’s also starter for the other 17 teams in the league.

I’m not sure what’s your problem with him, it was the right signing. Leadership, commanding, ball playing, compliment Lindelof & Bailly weakness as someone who can win header and good in sensing danger.
I’ve no problem apart from all those mistakes he has made and the goals that have resulted from those mistakes. Otherwise, he’s a top top player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’ve no problem apart from all those mistakes he has made and the goals that have resulted from those mistakes. Otherwise, he’s a top top player.
You basically mentioned "Is he prepared to admit he got Maguire completely wrong and replace him?". If you acknowledged he's a top top player, so why the manager needed to admit he got Maguire wrong and replace him when in reality the manager actually signed top player?

The guy barely make lot of mistakes. The issue about his mistakes or whatever you wanna call it that the other players aren't helping him when they actually could. While when the others made mistakes, he's in there to cover.

westmeath

You basically mentioned "Is he prepared to admit he got Maguire completely wrong and replace him?". If you acknowledged he's a top top player, so why the manager needed to admit he got Maguire wrong and replace him when in reality the manager actually signed top player?

The guy barely make lot of mistakes. The issue about his mistakes or whatever you wanna call it that the other players aren't helping him when they actually could. While when the others made mistakes, he's in there to cover.
Sorry, it was sarcasm. For the record, I don’t think Maguire is a top top player. I think he is OK but vulnerable in certain situations and has been solely responsible for a number of goals conceded this season. Examples were the two Bournemouth goals last Sunday and the Spurs goal recently. I.e. all three league goals conceded since the restart.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sorry, it was sarcasm. For the record, I don’t think Maguire is a top top player. I think he is OK but vulnerable in certain situations and has been solely responsible for a number of goals conceded this season. Examples were the two Bournemouth goals last Sunday and the Spurs goal recently. I.e. all three league goals conceded since the restart.
Bournemouth 's second was on Bailly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Harry played a big part, so too did Mr Dean and VAR but Harry’s ridiculous pass started it.
Bailly trying to dribble the ball out of our box and being dispossessed, Matic's poor pass and Bailly trying to control said pass the way he did were all worse in the build-up to conceding, imo.

Handré1990

Bailly trying to dribble the ball out of our box and being dispossessed, Matic's poor pass and Bailly trying to control said pass the way he did were all worse in the build-up to conceding, imo.
I’m guessing it’s most posters’ opinion, because it’s true. You really have to dislike Maguire to try to pin the second goal on him, imo..

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Bournemouth goal, since when being nutmegged is a mistake? That was a good skill rather than a mistake, Maguire pretty much the only one who tries to defend against two players while others who were in the box were ball watching. He senses the danger while the other caught napping not helping. Of course, you wouldn't notice it.

Spurs goal, everyone were in fault for the goal not just Maguire. Shaw chose not to control the ball despite of no pressure, Bissaka played the Spurs player onside, Lindelof was late to cover Maguire and DDG did silly stuff.

You got some agenda on Maguire. Ole's signing was spot on so far including Maguire.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I’m guessing it’s most posters opinion, because it’s true. You really have to dislike Maguire to try to pin the second goal on him, imo..
Harry didn't have the best of games, but yeah, I don't see how you can pin the 2nd on him.

I'm a huge Maguire fan, but I get the criticisms for the other Bournemouth goal and the Spurs one. He was poor for both. This one, however, wasn't his fault.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Bournemouth goal, since when being nutmegged is a mistake? That was a good skill rather than a mistake, Maguire pretty much the only one who tries to defend against two players while others who were in the box were ball watching. He senses the danger while the other caught napping not helping. Of course, you wouldn't notice it.

Spurs goal, everyone were in fault for the goal not just Maguire. Shaw chose not to control the ball despite of no pressure, Bissaka played the Spurs player onside, Lindelof was late to cover Maguire and DDG did silly stuff.

You got some agenda on Maguire. Ole's signing was spot on so far including Maguire.
In a classic "Easy for me to say" stance: Maguire committed too much when he approached him, opening up his legs and allowing himself to be passed while his body was still traveling forward. Simply standing in his way would have been more effective, blocking off both shooting and dribbling lanes.

But of course, very easy for me to say from the comfort of my home having rewatched the episode 20 times. Probably a bit harder for Harry

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
In a classic "Easy for me to say" stance: Maguire committed too much when he approached him, opening up his legs and allowing himself to be passed while his body was still traveling forward. Simply standing in his way would have been more effective, blocking off both shooting and dribbling lanes.

But of course, very easy for me to say from the comfort of my home having rewatched the episode 20 times. Probably a bit harder for Harry
It's easy to blame it on someone if people watch it once. Once we realised, it was very unlucky that he got nutmegged, the timing was perfect since he was on motion. Moving towards the ball while closing your leg is just not possible.

Handré1990

Harry didn't have the best of games, but yeah, I don't see how you can pin the 2nd on him.

I'm a huge Maguire fan, but I get the criticisms for the other Bournemouth goal and the Spurs one. He was poor for both. This one, however, wasn't his fault.
Yeah, me too. I like him a lot, and those two goals could have been avoided, but the second v Bournemouth was all on Bailly and Matic, mostly Bailly.

westmeath

not every opinion is an “agenda”. I just don’t fancy Maguire, he makes me nervous. On being megged in the six yard box, I reckon Harry would put his hands up and say that’s just not good enough.

maybe I got the second one wrong, was it not Harry who pinged in head height at Bailly. I’m seeing some people say it was Matic. If I’m wrong on that, then mea culpa.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
not every opinion is an “agenda”. I just don’t fancy Maguire, he makes me nervous. On being megged in the six yard box, I reckon Harry would put his hands up and say that’s just not good enough.

maybe I got the second one wrong, was it not Harry who pinged in head height at Bailly. I’m seeing some people say it was Matic. If I’m wrong on that, then mea culpa.
Blaming individual rather than team when the other players were in fault is an agenda. On top of it you are even mistaken Matic to Maguire that's even make it more questionable and yet somehow you still called it "may be", when it's actually 100% not him. May be Maguire is not the one who makes you nervous, you are mistaken someone else.

Rolaholic

Shots fired :lol: :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly though, it finally feels like we're actually building towards something positive as a club again.

It felt that way at times under LVG but the brand of football on display was diabolical, this time it feels much more United :D :drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fecking savage comment that, baby face assassin strikes again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zambara

Second time he's made an almost uncharacteristically harsh comment you could interpret as being at Lukaku :lol:

el3mel

May the current days never end. I'm getting the most fun out of football for ages these days.

He has been managing the team in a brilliant way ever since Bruno's signing. Everything looks great. The atmosphere and mentality around the club have been fantastic.

Big credit to him. Long may it continue.

mu4c_20le

United manager. Last season at this time, we'd be choking left and right. He's instilled a driven mentality on the team.

El Zoido

17 games unbeaten, W13 D4
46 scored
6 conceded
12 clean sheets
WWDWDWWDWWWDWWWWW

United58

He mightn't be the best tactician on the planet but I'm so, so grateful to Ole for the squad and morale he's assembled in this team. We play so sexily at times :drool:

United58

May the current days never end. I'm getting the most fun out of football for ages these days.

He has been managing the team in a brilliant way ever since Bruno's signing. Everything looks great. The atmosphere and mentality around the club have been fantastic.

Big credit to him. Long may it continue.
I'm the exact same, so happy with him (and I was a big doubter 6 months ago). Let's finish the season strongly and challenge for the league/Champions League next season

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Since Sir Alex Retired:

3-0 win against a pretty tame Villa. Ole now equals Joses best run but absolutely destroys it on stats across the board. We also equal Pochs best unbeaten record too and again smashes the stats of that run. That defensive record is bloody impressive. I think people may underestimate just what fantastic form we're in right now. :drool:

Club​
Manager​
Games Unbeaten​
Start Date​
End Date​
Goals For​
Goals Against​
Clean Sheets​
Win %​
City​
Guardiola​
28​
27.04.2017​
03.12.2017​
78​
18​
14​
86%​
Chelsea​
Jose​
23​
04.05.2014​
03.12.2014​
53​
16​
10​
74%​
Arsenal​
Emery​
22​
25.08.2018​
13.12.2018​
50​
19​
8​
77%​
City​
Pellegrini​
20​
30.10.2013​
29.01.2014​
69​
22​
7​
90%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
19​
12.01.2019​
26.04.2019​
44​
12​
10​
74%​
Arsenal​
Wenger​
19​
20.08.2016​
27.11.2016​
45​
14​
8​
68%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
19​
22.09.2019​
14.12.2019​
44​
18​
5​
84%​
Chelsea​
Sarri​
18​
11.08.2018​
11.11.2018​
38​
12​
9​
78%​
Chelsea​
Jose​
18​
27.01.2015​
10.05.2015​
25​
12​
8​
61%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
18​
28.10.2017​
14.01.2018​
55​
16​
8​
72%​
Tottenham​
Poch​
17​
23.12.2017​
03.03.2018​
40​
12​
9​
65%​
Manchester Utd​
Jose​
17​
06.11.2016​
21.01.2017​
36​
10​
7​
71%​
Manchester Utd
Ole
76%

AshRK

He mightn't be the best tactician on the planet but I'm so, so grateful to Ole for the squad and morale he's assembled in this team. We play so sexily at times :drool:
Tactics alone is not enough to be a successful manager otherwise sarri, van gaal and Jose would still be at top. His man management has been nothing sort of magnificent.

Superunknown

Let's give Ole the credit where it's due. He's come in and given the place a lift after we had some dark moments in Mourinho, Van Gaal and Moyes' reigns. This is the closest I think we've come so far to emulating the style or authoritative nature of football that we had in the Sir Alex era, and it's currently one of the more exciting sides to watch, with many young players who could potentially get even better. If this is what we can expect for the next few years, then I'm down with that.

Dante

Average bang
PL goals from outside the box...

19/20: 12 (so far)
18/19: 10
17/18: 12
16/17: 7
15/16: 5
14/15: 7

One of the big things we're doing now is shooting from outside the box instead of trying to walk it into the goal with every attack. We'll probably get another 3 or 4 before the end of the season, too.

Ole deserves credit for getting the team to take more risks. It's the perfect strategy because our pace tends to push teams back, whilst our shooting draws defences forward. This confusion is what creates the space for all our attackers in the final third.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Since Sir Alex Retired:

3-0 win against a pretty tame Villa. Ole now equals Joses best run but absolutely destroys it on stats across the board. We also equal Pochs best unbeaten record too and again smashes the stats of that run. That defensive record is bloody impressive. I think people may underestimate just what fantastic form we're in right now. :drool:

Club​
Manager​
Games Unbeaten​
Start Date​
End Date​
Goals For​
Goals Against​
Clean Sheets​
Win %​
City​
Guardiola​
28​
27.04.2017​
03.12.2017​
78​
18​
14​
86%​
Chelsea​
Jose​
23​
04.05.2014​
03.12.2014​
53​
16​
10​
74%​
Arsenal​
Emery​
22​
25.08.2018​
13.12.2018​
50​
19​
8​
77%​
City​
Pellegrini​
20​
30.10.2013​
29.01.2014​
69​
22​
7​
90%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
19​
12.01.2019​
26.04.2019​
44​
12​
10​
74%​
Arsenal​
Wenger​
19​
20.08.2016​
27.11.2016​
45​
14​
8​
68%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
19​
22.09.2019​
14.12.2019​
44​
18​
5​
84%​
Chelsea​
Sarri​
18​
11.08.2018​
11.11.2018​
38​
12​
9​
78%​
Chelsea​
Jose​
18​
27.01.2015​
10.05.2015​
25​
12​
8​
61%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
18​
28.10.2017​
14.01.2018​
55​
16​
8​
72%​
Tottenham​
Poch​
17​
23.12.2017​
03.03.2018​
40​
12​
9​
65%​
Manchester Utd​
Jose​
17​
06.11.2016​
21.01.2017​
36​
10​
7​
71%​
Manchester Utd
Ole
76%
How the feck are Arsenal under Emery third :lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Asides from the obvious impact of having good players now, the change in tactics is on very evident. Our front line always switching positions, Rashford playing deeper and playmaking, Matic dropping deep to build up play etc. Ole definitely knows what he's doing. Credit where it's due

Status
Not open for further replies.