Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

reelworld

Tactics alone is not enough to be a successful manager otherwise sarri, van gaal and Jose would still be at top. His man management has been nothing sort of magnificent.
You know his man management is exemplary by looking at the players when they were losing and they were clearly still behind him 100%. And just look at how he managed Greenwood, he handled that perfectly

Glorio

Wow he actually play Pogba at #10 :drool: surprisingly good. Didn't expect that from Ole.
Basically he's experimenting and preparing for if Bruno is out or when he had to rest him.

Ever since the restart, Ole is back to being really good, brave and more positive with his decision makings consistently. Maybe that break made him think and learn more and reflect about his managerial decisions and the squad so far. Ole did say before he's a thinker who thinks a lot about this managing football things.

9/10 performance at this game, except how he's managing Martial but maybe that's the "tough love" treatment.
He's protecting Martial, and rightly so being 3-0 up. There are more games to win and we need him fit, as he'd run his socks off all game. I'm unsure why he'd lose points on that account.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wow he actually play Pogba at #10 :drool: surprisingly good. Didn't expect that from Ole.
Basically he's experimenting and preparing for if Bruno is out or when he had to rest him.

Ever since the restart, Ole is back to being really good, brave and more positive with his decision makings consistently. Maybe that break made him think and learn more and reflect about his managerial decisions and the squad so far. Ole did say before he's a thinker who thinks a lot about this managing football things.

9/10 performance at this game, except how he's managing Martial but maybe that's the "tough love" treatment.
What's wrong with how he is managing Martial?

Glorio

So Ole can only be good at managing a good team relative wise? poor at building/turning rubbish teams to be good?
Just curious if that's the point you're making.

:)I think Ole already pass your 3 worries.
1. Case studies: Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, etc etc.
2. Seems fine so far. Almost always positive front persona, consistently. Except the RVP #20 one.
3. Seems very good so far. No complaint.

He did those smoothly with smiles and gentleness, even the "assassinations". Lukaku, Sanchez and the rest that left didn't really say any bad things about Ole isn't it. Even Raiola is keeping his mouth shut usually because there's not much to say bad things about Ole. Very few times, he'll rip you apart but usually personally but sometimes get caught in camera eg. the case of Lingard.
He's making the point that he was concerned about these things before Ole came in

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
What's so refreshing recently is that even in games where we're winning comfortably, we're still trying to score more. There's understandably an element of game management where we step off the gas and try to preserve energy when the game is won, but at no point have we retreated into our shell and invited pressure on ourselves - something we would do even at 1-0 up under Mourinho.

I don't mind saying I've questioned whether Ole has it in him to lead us to glory. Looking at my own posts in this thread, my lowest ebb under Solskjaer was the 0-0 v Wolves back in January, where we seemed to have no intent on going for the win. I likened that performance to Mourinho's performance against Sevilla in the Champions League. Maybe I was tired of watching us failing to create chances, but I really did doubt that Ole would ever be able to get our attack functioning.

I am ecstatic to be proven wrong, because I would love nothing more than Ole to be a success with us. Everything else he was doing had won me over (identifying and marginalising/selling the deadwood, buying the right players with the right personalities), but the way we performed against the average/weak teams did make me question if he was the answer.

Well, he's answered those questions.

RiqCantona

I'm so against Poch @Damien is WUMing me with my tag line!

I've thought all along that OGS's life story means he can only ever succeed at Manchester United and nowhere else. It's been written many times that the exposure he got sitting on the subs bench next to SAF, plus his long distinguished career as a striker of Manchester United's best ever squads means he has the clubs DNA deep in his veins. And so it's just a matter of time for him to build a collection of players that is suitable and good enough to fit what he knows.

After the mixed strategies of Moyes, LVG and Mourinho, OGS inherited a random selection of players who were confused on the club culture and demotivated by the board continually sacking managers. Transitioning from such a place was always going to require alot of player turnover and a hit in results. I expected that to last for at least 2 seasons, and was not expecting top 4 this year.

But it seems as though OGS has pulled this off in 1/2 a year: We have a clear club culture, several styles of playing and are just a few players short of a title challenging squad. Personally I'd rather we also use next year to further develop our progress, do as well as we can, but then make a real go of it in 2022. Woodward deserves alot of credit for this too.

Regardless, I'm loving supporting my team again, and cant wait for every game.
Couldn't agree more!

theklr

You know his man management is exemplary by looking at the players when they were losing and they were clearly still behind him 100%. And just look at how he managed Greenwood, he handled that perfectly
Reminds me abit of Zidane actually, very good at bringing out the best in his players.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He's protecting Martial, and rightly so being 3-0 up. There are more games to win and we need him fit, as he'd run his socks off all game. I'm unsure why he'd lose points on that account.
Martial was fuming last night when he went off, not so much for being subbed but because he's completely changed his attittude from last season.

I saw a player on the bench yesterday who looked mad as hell, and not even Ole's smiles and pat on the back seemed to help. And I absolutely love that.

Martial know he should have scored and that's why he was being very hard on himself. Here we finally have a number 9 who wants to score goals more than anything, but more importantly Martial works his ass off to help his teammates. Last night Martial was right behind Greenwood and Pogba for man of the match for me. His positioning is amazing, he keeps making plays, keeps getting into the right lanes and draws defenders. This is by far and wide Martials best period in the Manchester United shirt.

Like most here understand, Martial was subbed to give Ighalo gametime and reduce fatigue, an that's it.

The difference from the tail end of last season when Ole was yelling at Martial during warmups to now is two different worlds. What a player he has become this season.

meamth

Still can't move on from the amount of disrespect he got during hard times.

P.E teacher,
Clueless feck,
Gollum,

Whoever wrote that in this forum, in this thread, or match day threads, you lot should be ashamed.

Ole90+3

I think fans would be wise not to build this season up to something it's not. We are still 5th place and have performed horridly for the majority of the season.

While it's fantastic to be in the form we are in, and be giddy due to that, the season could still turn out to be as bad as it is good. We've seen too many false dawns since Fergie's retirement.

I love Ole as much as any fan, and even if he fails here, no blame will fall on him, however I'm waiting until we secure 4th place before putting all faith into Ole the manager.

Sorry for the realism (pessimism).

AshRK

Still can't move on from the amount of disrespect he got during hard times.

P.E teacher,
Clueless feck,
Gollum,

Whoever wrote that in this forum, in this thread, or match day threads, you lot should be ashamed.
You forgot "The worst manager in the league who would even look out of place managing in championships".

AneRu

I will raise my hand up and say I didn't see it with him during the first half of the season. There are decisions I didn't or don't agree with that I felt cost us - the decision to spend so much on Maguire and forgo another signing for example.

However, for me, the biggest credit that he deserves has to do with how he moulded Scot McTominay and Fred into proper first team options when under Jose, Fred in particular looked like a waste. His decision on Lukaku and Sanchez too has led to the growth of Rashford, Greenwood and Martial into one of the most potent front 3s in European football. These are the decisions that you automatically know that Jose would have got horribly wrong.

Another aspect is that the squad isn't divided anymore. That level of harmony in the squad drowns out any negative energy and enables the team to grow mentally. His status as a much respected and loved legend of the club helps in this respect.

The other decision he got spot on was the Bruno Fernandes signing. He has brought in leadership, work rate, goals and assists so we look a different team for it.

El Zoido

You forgot "The worst manager in the league who would even look out of place managing in championships".
Championship? I saw people saying with full sincerity that he was non-league calibre.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I think fans would be wise not to build this season up to something it's not. We are still 5th place and have performed horridly for the majority of the season.

While it's fantastic to be in the form we are in, and be giddy due to that, the season could still turn out to be as bad as it is good. We've seen too many false dawns since Fergie's retirement.
The reason we're optimistic is because a lot has been changed since our last couple managers who were very negative.
Club is moving in the right direction, young hungry players who plays nice attacking football, with a smile on their face.

If people could understand this, and not just look at the league table, we'd have a lot less Ole out, probably none.
It's not a quick fix like in FM, where you can just sell 10 players and buy 10 new ones, and win everything the first season.

BulgarianDevil91

I've said it many times both here and with friends, and have been ridiculed for my words, Ole might not take us to glory but he sure will put us in the right path towards it. Glad to see I was somewhat right.

Reactions: Sultan

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I will raise my hand up and say I didn't see it with him during the first half of the season. There are decisions I didn't or don't agree with that I felt cost us - the decision to spend so much on Maguire and forgo another signing for example.

However, for me, the biggest credit that he deserves has to do with how he moulded Scot McTominay and Fred into proper first team options when under Jose, Fred in particular looked like a waste. His decision on Lukaku and Sanchez too has led to the growth of Rashford, Greenwood and Martial into one of the most potent front 3s in European football. These are the decisions that you automatically know that Jose would have got horribly wrong.

Another aspect is that the squad isn't divided anymore. That level of harmony in the squad drowns out any negative energy and enables the team to grow mentally. His status as a much respected and loved legend of the club helps in this respect.

The other decision he got spot on was the Bruno Fernandes signing. He has brought in leadership, work rate, goals and assists so we look a different team for it.
This is key, I think. Before, I'm only imagining based off videos etc, Pogba, Lingard etc were running the dressing room. Now, again I'm half imagining, Maguire, Fernandes, McT, Rashford are running the dressing room. Grealish another one who might come in.

Ole90+3

The reason we're optimistic is because a lot has been changed since our last couple managers who were very negative.
Club is moving in the right direction, young hungry players who plays nice attacking football, with a smile on their face.

If people could understand this, and not just look at the league table, we'd have a lot less Ole out, probably none.
It's not a quick fix like in FM, where you can just sell 10 players and buy 10 new ones, and win everything the first season.
I don't expect to win everything in the first season, but you also can't expect me (and many other fans) to forget the tumescent, unimaginative football that we produced in the months leading up to Bruno's signing.

If we continue to perform like we have done since restart, then I'm more than happy to put the shit performances down to lack of tools. But I'm still reserving judgement until the first full season has concluded.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
With each passing weeks, I have less doubts. We got a good one.

mu4c_20le

I don't expect to win everything in the first season, but you also can't expect me (and many other fans) to forget the tumescent, unimaginative football that we produced in the months leading up to Bruno's signing.

If we continue to perform like we have done since restart, then I'm more than happy to put the shit performances down to lack of tools. But I'm still reserving judgement until the first full season has concluded.
We were actually a brilliant counter attacking team even before Bruno, we just had problems breaking down defenses. When you play midtable players, you get midtable results. It's not that surprising.

Raven

So it turns out that coaches and managers develop with experience as well... who'd have thunk it?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
He's shown tactical aptitude in quite a few games already but his greatest strength seems to be man management. He's the opposite of current Jose in that sense - he's bringing out the best and most positive versions of the players he has. Never puts a foot wrong in front of cameras and always knows the right thing to say to motivate his team. If he doesn't make it at United for some reason, big clubs in disarray should look to him to bring back some semblance of harmony.

rotherham_red

I think now would be a good time to revisit this debate after the Liverpool game. Since that match we haven't lost once.

Keane's words, as it turns out, were prescient... Carragher's words meanwhile, aged like a pint of milk left out in the sun.

Tiber

Just thinking about the fact that Ole Gunnar Solskjær makes me happy. And not just because of the misery caused by the last two guys and their impressive CVs.

I can't predict what will happen in the seasons to come, but I am so glad we had a manager that makes me proud.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

I think now would be a good time to revisit this debate after the Liverpool game. Since that match we haven't lost once.

Keane's words, as it turns out, were prescient... Carragher's words meanwhile, aged like a pint of milk left out in the sun.
Burnley?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Souness and Keane talking sense about how important recruitment is. Carragher seems to think Klopp and Guardiola could have done the same with any set of players.

rotherham_red

Souness and Keane talking sense about how important recruitment is. Carragher seems to think Klopp and Guardiola could have done the same with any set of players.
Loved it when Keane brought up Pep's first season, and how we only saw his impact once he got his players, properly rattled Carragher with that.

Here's hoping Ole and the lads shove their words right back down their throats come the end of the season and the coming years.

crossy1686

career ending

I remember trying to side with Keane on here and all that was met with was "He's just Ole's mate, he's talking shit" but apparently Carragher was "spot on". I hope a lot of people are embarrassed by their own words at this point

Handré1990

I remember trying to side with Keane on here and all that was met with was "He's just Ole's mate, he's talking shit" but apparently Carragher was "spot on". I hope a lot of people are embarrassed by their own words at this point
The video is unavailable here, could you please enlighten me on the content?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Imagine a world where the team plays better when you have better players in the team.

News at 11.

rotherham_red

Same, or rather, I knew what the script was so didn't bother.

And now a lot of those same people are giving all the credit to Bruno for the upturn in form, rather than the manager. They're so very predictable unfortunately.

I wonder where those people are now who backed Carragher over Keane. Penny for their thoughts, perhaps?

cyberman

Carragher is a bluffer of a pundit. His league winners Liverpool v 99 United is every bit as cringeworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.