Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
The video is unavailable here, could you please enlighten me on the content?
United lost 2-0 to Liverpool at Anfield. Souness, Carragher, Evra and Keane are in the post match booth. Keane looks agitated and on edge after the loss, Evra looks a bit somber.

Carragher jumps straight in with "United are one of the biggest clubs in the world and they should have the best in class. Would Bayern or Madrid put up with whats happening here? Liverpool and City have the best coaches in the world. Solskjaer has managed Molde and Cardiff, what's he done?"

Keane seething at this point. "Tell me what Pep did in his first season at Man City? Go on, you tell me what he did, best coach in the world, messiah, what did he do?"

Carragher: "He finished in the top 4"

Keane: "And that's good enough for the best coach in the world is it? He had to go to the board and ask for 4 new fullbacks before he could win anything".

This exchange goes on a Carragher gets wound up that Keane has a point. They talk about spending and United getting the recruitment wrong under previous managers. Souness jumps in with, Keane knows as well as anyone you have to get the recruitment right and give it time before you can compete.

Keane just repeats about giving it time and letting Ole continue to bring the right players in. Then he says: "Anyway, we're sitting here like Liverpool have got all the answers and United are amateurs. We've been without a title for 7 years, what we're Liverpool doing for the last 30 years? Let's not pretend they've got all the answers. They've swapped and changed managers and had some world class players over the years."

They then go on to argue about managers not being given more time. Carragher tries to say United have bought good players and made them worse, Keane says the managers weren't given the time and backing to do their thing and get the best out of 'their' players. Keane tries to say that Lampard gets a free ride despite Chelsea being bad and Carragher defends him with "he's only had the job 6 months" And Keane says "Exactly, give him time" but then goes onto say "You keep saying Frank's doing a good job, he's doing alright, he's lost 8 games, his CV is Derby, he did alright, maybe it's because he's English?"

Then they end up screaming at each other over Moyes getting sacked, and Carragher asking "how long would you give Ole?" and Keane responds with "more than a year at least".

Evra adds that the damage was done over the last 7 years and Solskajer is trying to pick up the pieces and build something.

Souness questions the board for not having a coherent hiring and recruitment policy.

Handré1990

United lost 2-0 to Liverpool at Anfield. Souness, Carragher, Evra and Keane are in the post match booth. Keane looks agitated and on edge after the loss, Evra looks a bit somber.

Carragher jumps straight in with "United are one of the biggest clubs in the world and they should have the best in class. Would Bayern or Madrid put up with whats happening here? Liverpool and City have the best coaches in the world. Solskjaer has managed Molde and Cardiff, what's he done?"

Keane seething at this point. "Tell me what Pep did in his first season at Man City? Go on, you tell me what he did, best coach in the world, messiah, what did he do?"

Carragher: "He finished in the top 4"

Keane: "And that's good enough for the best coach in the world is it? He had to go to the board and ask for 4 new fullbacks before he could win anything".

This exchange goes on a Carragher gets wound up that Keane has a point. They talk about spending and United getting the recruitment wrong under previous managers. Souness jumps in with, Keane knows as well as anyone you have to get the recruitment right and give it time before you can compete.

Keane just repeats about giving it time and letting Ole continue to bring the right players in. Then he says: "Anyway, we're sitting here like Liverpool have got all the answers and United are amateurs. We've been without a title for 7 years, what we're Liverpool doing for the last 30 years? Let's not pretend they've got all the answers. They've swapped and changed managers and had some world class players over the years."

They then go on to argue about managers not being given more time. Carragher tries to say United have bought good players and made them worse, Keane says the managers weren't given the time and backing to do their thing and get the best out of 'their' players. Keane tries to say that Lampard gets a free ride despite Chelsea being bad and Carragher defends him with "he's only had the job 6 months" And Keane says "Exactly, give him time" but then goes onto say "You keep saying Frank's doing a good job, he's doing alright, he's lost 8 games, his CV is Derby, he did alright, maybe it's because he's English?"

Then they end up screaming at each other over Moyes getting sacked, and Carragher asking "how long would you give Ole?" and Keane responds with "more than a year at least".

Evra adds that the damage was done over the last 7 years and Solskajer is trying to pick up the pieces and build something.

Souness questions the board for not having a coherent hiring and recruitment policy.
Thank you! Seems Keano had a point after all!:wenger: All these scousers are hilarious, running their mouths and acting like this is Liverpool in the 80’s:lol: They just won their first PL title ffs!

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You forgot "The worst manager in the league who would even look out of place managing in championships".
Championship? People were saying that he isn't league 1/ league 2 level

Ace of Spades

The 'fans' who were insulting Ole on a personal basis, should definitely be ashamed of themselves.

And any manger needs time to get things right, as long as there is progress year on year then that is a positive. If there is anything to be learned from the mess post SAF, is that there are no quick fixes for us.

Then again, for me, as long as I enjoy the team performance then I am happy. It has been a long time since I enjoyed watching us play, and just want to get to that next game again.

Rolaholic

Such quality goals being scored during this run, the difference in class between this current side compared to any of our post Fergie squads is quite drastic

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Such quality goals being scores during this run, the difference in class between this current side compared to any of our post Fergie squads is quite drastic
Wow, so many brilliant goals.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
But he is just a PE teacher. :rolleyes:
Name and shame you say? Gotcha. Not that many, I thought it was used more, but searched for teacher and having skimmed through 25 pages (@Damien please can the damn search being sorted by timestamp!) only found these few:

PE teacher tactics!
Solskjaer the diabolical, Norwegian Moyes, Primary school PE teacher, outside top 4 for life, why do we have to persist with this nonsense.

Solskjaer leaving the post will be more satisfying then any of the previous manager sackings because I've never seen so many deluded fans back a mountain of absolute garbage to the extent they have for Ole
Fergie should have passed the torch to a DOF not a PE teacher for a manager role
Happy with a PE teacher steering us to 7th?
I think this one was more of a tongue in cheek post.

Ole - PE teacher
Either way, shame lads, shame, shame.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Name and shame you say? Gotcha. Not that many, I thought it was used more, but searched for teacher and having skimmed through 25 pages (@Damien please can the damn search being sorted by timestamp!) only found these few:

Ah, the old name and shame.

Facts are facts, we have been diabolical for a long time and the gloom *may* be lifting as we speak, but we are still 5th, not in the CL, and have achieved nothing, so hold fire on the back slapping.

Ole is now doing well, credit to him, but plenty more to be done.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Has Passing_Wind commented in this thread lately? I'm too lazy to check :p

Handré1990

Facts are facts, we have been diabolical for a long time and the gloom *may* be lifting as we speak, but we are still 5th, not in the CL, and have achieved nothing, so hold fire on the back slapping.

Maybe to early to deem him a success, but surely you think he’s a little better than a PE teacher now?

Ace of Spades

No, the PE teacher thing was utterly stupid, even back then. You can question him whether he is good enough or not, but to act like he is not an actual professional manager with actual experience in the game by a bunch of ignorant fans is the definition of irony.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, the PE teacher thing was utterly stupid, even back then. You can question him whether he is good enough or not, but to act like he is not an actual professional manager with actual experience in the game by a bunch of ignorant fans is the definition of irony.
Yes and all that because he wanted his team to be the fittest.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Maybe to early to deem him a success, but surely you think he’s a little better than a PE teacher now?
It was a tongue in cheek remark made out of extreme frustration. Probably very puerile in retrospect. I would reiterate that we are still ultimately fifth behind a couple of pretty out of form teams, so let’s see if we can sustain our form. Ole would appear to be making a better fist of it than I thought he would, but we are using a very low benchmark.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yep, per my comment just above, it was a silly, puerile remark. Probably not worth you losing sleep about a frustrated comment from a fan on the internet though.

Ace of Spades

A lot of posters on here like to use ridiculous hyperbole and repeat whatever cliches that have formed just to appear knowledgeable, when it just shows the general ignorance about things related to football.

It does make having any sensible discussion difficult though.

Ace of Spades

Yep, per my comment just above, it was a silly, puerile remark. Probably not worth you losing sleep about a frustrated comment from a fan on the internet though.
I am certainly not losing any sleep about this, and I understand your frustrations. I think it is safe to assume that every fan has been frustrated since SAF retired. That being said, such hyperbole is not much good for having any discussions about this.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I am certainly not losing any sleep about this, and I understand your frustrations. I think it is safe to assume that every fan has been frustrated since SAF retired. That being said, such hyperbole is not much good for having any discussions about this.
Yes, agree with that.

crossy1686

career ending

Bet you're loads of fun at parties...

Handré1990

It was a tongue in cheek remark made out of extreme frustration. Probably very puerile in retrospect. I would reiterate that we are still ultimately fifth behind a couple of pretty out of form teams, so let’s see if we can sustain our form. Ole would appear to be making a better fist of it than I thought he would, but we are using a very low benchmark.
Yeah, I called him incompetent after Burnley. Many of us were low at different points. I just have a different feel with this team than the others we’ve seen since 2013, so many goals, so many players performing excellently, and we’re really fun to watch, imo. He did this without going to war with anyone as well. Have to admire Ole! I’m all in now!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yeah, I called him incompetent after Burnley. Many of us were low at different points. I just have a different feel with this team than the others we’ve seen since 2013, so many goals, so many players performing excellently, and we’re really fun to watch, imo. He did this without going to war with anyone as well. Have to admire Ole! I’m all in now!
I think he’s started to do a good job of late, but it was absolutely excruciating for a long period so I’m just interested to see if we can sustain the run now. We are exciting to watch again, and we are pretty solid as well, so I’m happy. I think the main thing, as you say, is that the team’s mentality seems different at the moment. I don’t worry that we are a couple of bad results away from dressing room mutiny.

meamth

Such quality goals being scored during this run, the difference in class between this current side compared to any of our post Fergie squads is quite drastic
What made me smirking was Ighalo's goal was proper bangers. Long may it continue!

The United

I think he’s started to do a good job of late, but it was absolutely excruciating for a long period so I’m just interested to see if we can sustain the run now. We are exciting to watch again, and we are pretty solid as well, so I’m happy. I think the main thing, as you say, is that the team’s mentality seems different at the moment. I don’t worry that we are a couple of bad results away from dressing room mutiny.
No manager or team will sustain these kind of performances for long. So hopefully people don't get on his back so soon.

What we needed was ability to grind out the results when not playing at our peak. So far we have had a couple of games like that. Let's see if we can do it almost regularly whenever we don't play well.

The last bit is crucial. It’s easy to have a harmonious dressing room when winning. I look at this team, and think when we do lose or go through a bad period they will stick together and get through the other side. Not been able to say that for since Fergie.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
No manager or team will sustain these kind of performances for long. So hopefully people don't get on his back so soon.

What we needed was ability to grind out the results when not playing at our peak. So far we have had a couple of games like that. Let's see if we can do it almost regularly whenever we don't play well.
Of course we aren’t going to sustain this level of result and performance, but it’s all about making sure that the bottom level is decent.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The last bit is crucial. It’s easy to have a harmonious dressing room when winning. I look at this team, and think when we do lose or go through a bad period they will stick together and get through the other side. Not been able to say that for since Fergie.
Spot on. We have been a ‘good time’ team since SAF retired, but almost always ended up in mutiny and downing of tools when things have started to go awry on the pitch. Let’s see if this crop is different.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You realise that if we go 4th or 3rd on Monday everything you just posted is bollocks?
No, it really fecking isn’t. You’re chuntering on as though qualifying for the CL is some sort of astonishing achievement. If we end up 3rd or 4th then I’m happy for our continued development but it’s really the bare minimum we should expect for a club of our resources.

crossy1686

career ending
No, it really fecking isn’t. You’re chuntering on as though qualifying for the CL is some sort of astonishing achievement. If we end up 3rd or 4th then I’m happy for our continued development but it’s really the bare minimum we should expect for a club of our resources.
Oh here we go, the old "Roy Keane wouldn't stand for this mediocracy" stance.

Listen, we've been shit for the last 7 years with a couple of glimpses of getting back to where we belong. Whether you and your clearly superior expectations would like to admit it, we could finish 3rd this season, and yes, that is a serious achievement for us considering where we've been languishing the last few years.

Will we be celebrating? Will there be an open top bus? Will 3rd place in 2020 sit in our trophy cabinet alongside the Champions League and Premier League trophies? No, on all counts.

You've got to be seriously brain dead to not consider finishing 3rd progress and the start of something. We aren't just going to win the league next season or the season after without coming close a few times first, I don't understand why it's so difficult to grasp process. Rome wasn't built in a day and patience is a virtue are widely repeated mantra's on a daily basis for a reason you know.

So yes, we are 5th today, on Monday we could be 4th, at the end of the season we could be 3rd. Have a day off from looking at the table this second and acting as if that's the be all and end all, we're not mathematically out of anything yet.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Oh here we go, the old "Roy Keane wouldn't stand for this mediocracy" stance.

Listen, we've been shit for the last 7 years with a couple of glimpses of getting back to where we belong. Whether you and your clearly superior expectations would like to admit it, we could finish 3rd this season, and yes, that is a serious achievement for us considering where we've been languishing the last few years.

Will we be celebrating? Will there be an open top bus? Will 3rd place in 2020 sit in our trophy cabinet alongside the Champions League and Premier League trophies? No, on all counts.

You've got to be seriously brain dead to not consider finishing 3rd progress and the start of something. We aren't just going to win the league next season or the season after without coming close a few times first, I don't understand why it's so difficult to grasp process. Rome wasn't built in a day and patience is a virtue are widely repeated mantra's on a daily basis for a reason you know.

So yes, we are 5th today, on Monday we could be 4th, at the end of the season we could be 3rd. Have a day off from looking at the table this second and acting as if that's the be all and end all, we're not mathematically out of anything yet.
I have no idea why you’re ranting at me when we are essentially agreeing.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I appreciate the sentiment here. My comment was in context of a conversation that was discussing what should have come right after SAF. I was referring to Moyes.
We needed a stabilizing football director on the transition to have avoided the experiments that deviated the club away from its identity for 7 years until it stumbled upon Ole.

Skeezix

I think now would be a good time to revisit this debate after the Liverpool game. Since that match we haven't lost once.

Keane's words, as it turns out, were prescient... Carragher's words meanwhile, aged like a pint of milk left out in the sun.
Thank you for bringing this up. This is why I will never take any ex-Liverpool player's assessment of Manchester United seriously. Not even when they praise us and not even more so when they are critical.
Carragher being shown up for what he is - a hypocritical useless git. The United 1998/99 vs Liverpool 2019/20 combined 11 video was even worse - but that was in a light mood.

And Roy Keane the Pundit is really good because he has failed as a manager and knows what it is not to be given time. Sure, he is harsh at times, but he has deadpan humour too which I really like and enjoy.
Also his combination as a Pundit with Uncle Pat is really enjoyable these days.

In Rainbows

The 'fans' who were insulting Ole on a personal basis, should definitely be ashamed of themselves.

And any manger needs time to get things right, as long as there is progress year on year then that is a positive. If there is anything to be learned from the mess post SAF, is that there are no quick fixes for us.

Then again, for me, as long as I enjoy the team performance then I am happy. It has been a long time since I enjoyed watching us play, and just want to get to that next game again.
I never liked those personal insults either. There's a difference between wanting him out based on evidence and just insulting the man. Currently the evidence points to him clearly being good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.