Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So for Mourinho and LVG it was their poor recruitment but for Ole it's the poor support from the board ? Is there any obvious example he's treated by some way different from the previous managers ?
Think you're being kind by saying LVG and Jose's recruitment was only poor, it was absolutely shambolic. Spending something like £650 million combined and all we have to show for that is an inconsistent Pogba and Martial.

At least Ole had the semblance of a plan in the way he went about his recruitment; bringing in young, hungry British players who were, for the most part, proven in the PL. LVG and Jose simply went after the most exotic big names in the game, regardless of whether they fit the playstyle or not.

The club is in the situation it's in now largely because of the recruitment choices made by Ole's predecessors and Dithering Ed.

Wolff

Sad to see. This club need some clenching, and Ole is the one to do it. Like I said. If he can get that first 11 going, he will be arround 4th to 6 place. If he has to keep playing his second string he will be arround 8th to 12. That is the level this squad is about. He really is a remarkable manager, but not if you don’t look behind poor results and really poor performances. The reason he is here is SAF thinking the same. A brilliant football mind. It is the way it goes sometimes. It’s the same at Tottenham. Do you really believe Poch is not coaching them players either? To many on here think football is black and white. It isn’t. It is a game of endless variables. It used to be a family supporting UTD. It still is I suppose. But there is a gap with all the plastics and actual supporters. The ones that pay their hard earned money, and the ones that play to much fifa being loud at forums. Give the man some time to sort out this mess. At least have some self respect and educate yourself. Even against Newcastle there where loads of mistakes made obvious the players took the easy options. Watch it again. Pay attention to how static some players are. Look at when there are options available penetrating, the likes of Fred passes it sideways. It’s like Roy Keen said. These players threw Mourinho under the bus, and they won’t hesitate throwing Ole under it neither. And they are. This place is toxic at the moment. Dosent help the club one bit!

romufc

I understand what your saying. But time has gone for tinkering at such a scale.

And like you said, imagine rocking up at Newcastle with a back 5, and then drawing cause we can't create. This place would be in meltdown.

Your right, he does seem tactically niave. Unfortunately we have to suck it up and continue, as the most coherent plan for the club, also happens to be Ole's plan. We have to hope it clicks, give him the season and start lining up a suitable replacement
I don't know if we should give him the season if we are still <15 in the league come November.

romufc

3 good chances is more than enough for teams with prolific goal scorers leading the attack.

We have Rashford.
Which game did we get 3 good chances?

Most teams have a conversion rate in the 20%

We have a conversion ratio of 12% compared to Chelsea for example is 19%

If we know our strikers are rubbish, we need to make more chances.

Lynty

I don't know if we should give him the season if we are still <15 in the league come November.
Ye potential relegation is sack worthy regardless of the team.

I think Ole is the kind of guy that if we give him the season and he's firmly midtable, would have enough decency to resign and preserve his legend.

Wolff

Ye potential relegation is sack worthy regardless of the team.

I think Ole is the kind of guy that if we give him the season and he's firmly midtable, would have enough decency to resign and preserve his legend.
Have some self respect!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Which game did we get 3 good chances?

Most teams have a conversion rate in the 20%

We have a conversion ratio of 12% compared to Chelsea for example is 19%
We create multiple goal-scoring opportunities every week in spite of the poor performances.

If we know our strikers are rubbish, we need to make more chances

If only it were that simple :)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ole's diplomatic personality means he's unlikely to call ut the owners or Woodward; that's not cowardice or self-interest.

LARulz

Hoping he fancies a run at the Sunderland gig and they'd be stupid enough to take hin

Shark

@NotShark
Sad to see. This club need some clenching, and Ole is the one to do it. Like I said. If he can get that first 11 going, he will be arround 4th to 6 place. If he has to keep playing his second string he will be arround 8th to 12. That is the level this squad is about. He really is a remarkable manager, but not if you don’t look behind poor results and really poor performances. The reason he is here is SAF thinking the same. A brilliant football mind. It is the way it goes sometimes. It’s the same at Tottenham. Do you really believe Poch is not coaching them players either? To many on here think football is black and white. It isn’t. It is a game of endless variables. It used to be a family supporting UTD. It still is I suppose. But there is a gap with all the plastics and actual supporters. The ones that pay their hard earned money, and the ones that play to much fifa being loud at forums. Give the man some time to sort out this mess. At least have some self respect and educate yourself. Even against Newcastle there where loads of mistakes made obvious the players took the easy options. Watch it again. Pay attention to how static some players are. Look at when there are options available penetrating, the likes of Fred passes it sideways. It’s like Roy Keen said. These players threw Mourinho under the bus, and they won’t hesitate throwing Ole under it neither. And they are. This place is toxic at the moment. Dosent help the club one bit!
Why?

Enigma_87

You know who
Taken out of context to suit your narrative, but okay.

What I'm getting at is, we don't know what funds or promises were given to him on the start of his role.

Has he vetoed a striker? We don't know.
Was the funds available to him? We don't know.
Have we a striker lined up in Jan? We don't know
Why didn't we go for Llorente? We don't know
Did he have any input in the final stages of Lukaku's departure when it looked likely we wouldn't be getting a replacement? We don't know. (because in May, 95% of the fan base agreed Lukaku had to go)

I don't blame LVG. I don't blame Jose. Everyone knows that the problem is deeper at the club. Again we don't know what the actual problem is. But one thing we can say with certainty - is that our recruitment policy has been dire in all aspects.

Funnily enough, the one area where it hasn't been poor, was this seasons window. Which is a small step in the right direction.

And after 7 years and 4 managers worth of backwards and sideways steps, I'm resigned to accept these baby steps as something positive.

Ole does have to go. But the time isn't right and with no clear alternative or plan - doing it before January would sum up thus train wreck of a club and how its being run
What we do know:

Was the funds available to him? - 150-160m pounds this summer was certainly available.
Have we a striker lined up in Jan? - why does it matter?
Did he have any input in the final stages of Lukaku's departure when it looked likely we wouldn't be getting a replacement? - was pretty clear even before May that he wasn't his cup of tea.

Funnily enough, the one area where it hasn't been poor, was this seasons window. Which is a small step in the right direction.
you can't praise him for recruitment without criticizing him for the way he left the midfield and attack. I'd rather have a balanced squad than Maguire and AWB tbh.

romufc

We create multiple goal-scoring opportunities every week in spite of the poor performances.

If we know our strikers are rubbish, we need to make more chances

If only it were that simple :)
Apart from Maguire's chance we didn't create anything V Newcastle that I can recall.

Lynty

What we do know:

Was the funds available to him? - 150-160m pounds this summer was certainly available.
Have we a striker lined up in Jan? - why does it matter?
Did he have any input in the final stages of Lukaku's departure when it looked likely we wouldn't be getting a replacement? - was pretty clear even before May that he wasn't his cup of tea.

you can't praise him for recruitment without criticizing him for the way he left the midfield and attack. I'd rather have a balanced squad than Maguire and AWB tbh.

This is the most balanced squad we've had in years. It's just shit without our core players.

5 transfers to the starting 11 is expecting too much. This isn't Fifa.

We sorted our priorities, which every one agreed was RB, CB and Wing. Midfield and Striker should have been managable until winter or next season (and probably still is), when we can indentify suitable improvements instead of buying more mediocrity.

Ole obviously didn't forsee his own inability to get results with shit players. Why would he? Who here would turn down a coaching job because you don't believe you have what it takes?

Lynty

Yet to see a single convincing argument why he should be given more time or why he's the one, unsurprisingly.
Likewise, I havent seen a single convincing argument why sacking him now would be of benefit to Manchester United.

Enigma_87

You know who
This is the most balanced squad we've had in years. It's just shit without our core players.

We sorted our priorities, which every one agreed was RB, CB and Wing. Midfield and Striker should have been managable until winter or next season (and probably still is), when we can indentify suitable improvements instead of buying more mediocrity.

Ole obviously didn't forsee his own inability to get results with shit players. Why would he? Who here would turn down a coaching job because you don't believe you have what it takes?
You have to be joking mate. :lol:

What is balanced about the squad?

No depth in CM, no RW, no backup striker(not even a senior one), 4 players that are best suited as a LWF and 6 CB's...

CB and RB were absolutely not our priorities when you let go of your senior striker and we have been crying out for CM and RW.

James is also LW and we needed a right one.

Midfield and striker being manageable you can easily see the results - bottom of the table.

Which suitable improvement will be open for a move in January?

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Can we just wind back a few years to Van Gaal....

Most of you complained the football was boring.

A few of us argued Van Gaal was trying to implement a style and was maybe a couple of quality players away from achieving it.

Right or wrong?

Under Jose, most of you complained the football was boring.

A few of us argued Jose was trying to implement a style and was maybe a couple of quality players away from achieving it

Right or wrong?

You all clamoured for “passion”, “the United way”, “Rashford to be let loose”, “Pogba to be unshackled”

A few of us told you this was a bad idea, that we didn’t have the quality to play this way.

I think you all get exactly what you deserve to be honest.
Spot on .

Enigma_87

You know who
Likewise, I havent seen a single convincing argument why sacking him now would be of benefit to Manchester United.
Single convincing? How about not relegating us? He already had that experience and is on course with 4 wins in the last 17 games.

Lynty

Do you....not watch the games? He's one of problems, he's not the key to all of it, but he's not fixing anything anytime soon.
To be honest I expected a convincing argument.

No depth in CM, no RW, no backup striker(not even a senior one), 4 players that are best suited as a LWF and 6 CB's...

CB and RB were absolutely not our priorities when you let go of your senior striker and we have been crying out for CM and RW.

Midfield and striker being manageable you can easily see the results - bottom of the table.

We're going in circles.

Wolff

I have never seen you this happy! Browsed through you tenure as a poster. You are really more happy to be right than the club to be successful, aren’t you!? I’m only a football fan, but I do hold a career in it and a coach A badge. All you have is getting high at misfortune. How long will it last for you? I’m thinking it is coming to an end soon.

Enigma_87

You know who
We're going in circles.
I don't think so.

What is balanced about our squad? Midfield and attack are terrible and is a result of not replacing some of the first team players that went away.

Where is the balance?

If you want convincing arguments about binning Ole how about the play? Do you see quality in our game? Do you see a pattern?

Which players has Ole improved? Who did regress?

There is nothing football related that would suggest that he should be given a chance. The best case that has been made is the three new recruits.

el3mel

Well if the squad is balanced then there's no excuse for Ole to languish in the bottom half in the table. Being "balanced" supposedly means you have ways to cover for injuries even if not directly. If you think the squad is balanced, then more of the reasons to slaughter our current manager.

Enigma_87

You know who
Come on mate, get real. We aren't getting relegated.
Have you seen our form since March? We're right above that zone and host Pool next.

I have never seen you this happy! Browsed through you tenure as a poster. You are really more happy to be right than the club to be successful, aren’t you!? I’m only a football fan, but I do hold a career in it and a coach A badge. All you have is getting high at misfortune. How long will it last for you? I’m thinking it is coming to an end soon.
If I didn't want the club to be successful I won't moan about this. Would just accept mediocrity like you do and throw the towel. If you like being a bottom table club then you can support Ole all you want. I doubt Fergie shares the same principles considering what it took him and how many years to create that perch..

If you hold any type of coach badge I'd suggest to return it and try a different sport if you think Ole is doing well.

In Rainbows

Eddie Howe is a better manager than Ole. What has Ole shown that he deserves the job over him for example apart from it being mid season and both being at different clubs?

HowYouDoin

What exactly is there to discuss about Ole anymore? He is getting fired, we are just not sure exactly when. If our next game wasn't against Liverpool, meaning it's pretty much a guaranteed loss, I think he'd be gone after Newcastle.

Obviously whoever is the new manager we don't want that person to start off with a loss and throw that person into the fire against Liverpool of all teams.
That's the way I see it. Therefore he is probably gone after the Liverpool game IMO. How crazy is we will perhaps be in relegation zone after the Liverpool game, if the season ended we'd be getting relegated..

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynty

I don't think so.

What is balanced about our squad? Midfield and attack are terrible and is a result of not replacing some of the first team players that went away.

Where is the balance?

If you want convincing arguments about binning Ole how about the play? Do you see quality in our game? Do you see a pattern?

Which players has Ole improved? Who did regress?

There is nothing football related that would suggest that he should be given a chance. The best case that has been made is the three new recruits.
No I think your not grasping my entire opinion. Ole isn't good enough. I accept that.

But we have a stable centre back pairing with a good alternative.

Good fullbacks, who are unfortunately injured.

We are set up to play at pace, on both wings (yes Dan James seems to prefer the left, but he was obviously purchased as a make do until Sancho) and through the middle.

Our number 10 was initially utilised as a mobile ball winner.

Pogba is paired with a mobile CM so he can venture and carry the ball.

Playing to Martial's feet with wingers following the ball looked to be our primary method of attempting to break down teams until he got injured.

A new manager could come next year and add an upgrade to right wing, a creative midfielder and a proven goalscorer (if martial and rashford fail to find form) and have a strong squad.

These gaping holes that everyone keeps talking about aren't actually gaping are they. Its a hole depending on the form and fitness of our squad. In comparison, last year we didn't have a right back, and centre back pairing, Mata on the wing and still had a 'gaping hole' in striker and midfield depending on the form and fitness of our squad.

So, we've plugged the holes and left ourselves thin in the same places as last year (are Herrera and Lukaku really that much of a loss? I think we'd be seeing the same football with both on the field) But unfortunately in sinking ships, you plug the holes first and strengthen the patches when your stable.

Well if the squad is balanced then there's no excuse for Ole to languish in the bottom half in the table. Being "balanced" supposedly means you have ways to cover for injuries even if not directly. If you think the squad is balanced, then more of the reasons to slaughter our current manager.
I think we have different opinions on the definition of balanced. I'd call your definition, squad depth.

AlwaysRed66

Hoping he fancies a run at the Sunderland gig and they'd be stupid enough to take hin
Why would they hire him when the guy they sacked had only lost two matches this season & was a point behind third. Obviously Sunderland have higher standards than we do, though it did help the guy wasn't a club legend.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Can we just wind back a few years to Van Gaal....

Most of you complained the football was boring.

A few of us argued Van Gaal was trying to implement a style and was maybe a couple of quality players away from achieving it.

Right or wrong?

Under Jose, most of you complained the football was boring.

A few of us argued Jose was trying to implement a style and was maybe a couple of quality players away from achieving it

Right or wrong?

You all clamoured for “passion”, “the United way”, “Rashford to be let loose”, “Pogba to be unshackled”

A few of us told you this was a bad idea, that we didn’t have the quality to play this way.

I think you all get exactly what you deserve to be honest.
There's always one thing that people believe will fix everything. At one point it was 'not playing Rooney' will have us playing great attacking football again or the more recent not having a 'ball playing' centre back.

R'hllor

Ever since JM this place went to shit, the amount of agendas flying around is something alright. Ever since that classless cnut took over, the personal worshipers blow off the roof.

Rista

What :lol:

The length people will go to convince themselves Ole is a good manager is amazing. This sacking is going to be way harder than Moyes one. He didn't have affiliation with the club and there were still tons of clueless fans back then willing to give him time. So apparently we sacked the manager who finished 2nd when the squad is only good enough for 8th-12th "if" we get injuries. Like, who could have predicted we wouldn't have the first 11 available all season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ole's problem is that his head is full with cliches. He sounds reasonably well when speaking but genuine thought, critical analysis, in-depth knowledge just don't seem to be there. He's like a fan who seems knowledgeable but doesn't know much beyond cliches about high pressing, staying compact, attacking, giving the youth chances, being true to the DNA of the club, etc.
I mentioned this last season that Ole doesn't ever say any uni insightful about the game or about his tactical ideas/vision of how United should play. Sounds almost like a generic pundit. And its not like he's a very inspirational and charismatic individual either.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Hi Ole

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yet to see a single convincing argument why he should be given more time or why he's the one, unsurprisingly.
To get to patience but you have to show potential if not results. This run as permanent manage shows neither. I don't see a case for him staying other than "were tired of changing managers" which has to be the weakest argument in support of any manager, ever.

BlueHaze

Please take your trolling elsewhere with this "remarkable manager" and "brilliant football mind" nonsense. What merits do you base those statements on? Winning the Norweigan league or having us 2 points off relegation? :houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.