Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

He'sRaldo

I love how every time something completely unrelated happens in the football world people come on here just to rant about how much Ole sucks.

"Norwich beat City. Ole sucks"
"Southampton conceded 9 goals. Ole sucks"
"Bayern sacked Kovac. Ole sucks"
"Thiago Motta has imprinted his ideas on Genoa in 3 matches. Ole sucks"
"Ajax attacked with 9 men. Ole sucks"
And when Ole is compared with other struggling managers like Poch, that's when context comes into play.

dove

I love how every time something completely unrelated happens in the football world people come on here just to rant about how much Ole sucks.

But Ole really sucks.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

"Norwegian puts straw in mouth. Ole sucks"

SAFMUTD

I know ridiculous arguments, but that doesnt change the fact that he sucks indeed. Awful limited manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I still say that Woodward is the root cause of our failures.
I'replace him first. Leave Ole as manager.
Once a new DoF is hired, he can then assess Ole and if he feels he needs replacing, then so be it.

With Woodward in charge, if we replaced Ole with a top manager, Woodward's decisions will ensure that he too, will fail.
So given Woodward's job isn't under threat, Ole should stay for the next 5 years? Should we not at least solve the problems we can solve?

Sheffield United have won one more game, faring +4 on goal difference compared to +2 for United. You'd think the difference is 10 points and a gap of 10 in goal difference by the number of times you pulled this argument.
Terrific to hear that Sheffield United is only slightly ahead of us. Makes me feel a whole lot better about our situation. It isn't all that bad now that you put it that way.

amolbhatia50k

United forum (despite the number of other club posters). And he's been sucking pretty bad. Tis what happens when things go this bad.

passing-wind

The problem with all the fans backing Ole is he's proved you all wrong time and time again. The issue I have with Ole is not even short term results it's the relativity of his long term capabilities. Even if he gets an entire new starting 11, we will still be unable to break teams down, unable to create clear chances, unable to integrate patterns of play, unable to to impose any philosophy. Why ? because we had a better team than Palace, Bournemouth, Rochdale, Southampton and West Ham yet put in dire performances and got shocking results (that's also excluding some of the embarrassment last season). So if Solskjaer has us struggling against average opposition with a BETTER team how can it be mentally comprehended that Ole will improve as a manager with a different set of players. How many times have we seen this romanticism nonsense in football, pre historically it happened with Dalglish and more recently as of last year with Real and Lopetegui. Solskjaer is done, the results will get worse it's almost a guarantee.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
United forum (despite the number of other club posters). And he's been sucking pretty bad. Tis what happens when things go this bad.
That's making the forum worse and hard to discuss any football. Tbf we have dedicated forum and threads to discuss those topics, it's awful discussion now when every thread is infested with same shitfest.

Most know Ole is not good enough and should go but the same Ole thing flows to every thread it's hard to discuss anything at all.

amolbhatia50k

That's making the forum worse and hard to discuss any football. Tbf we have dedicated forum and threads to discuss those topics, it's awful discussion now when every thread is infested with same shitfest.

Most know Ole is not good enough and should go but the same Ole thing flows to every thread it's hard to discuss anything at all.
Don't disagree that it lowers the quality of the discourse. But I'm telling you that it is largely unavoidable. Football fans are insanely passionate about their team. And no matter how many sub forums you create, this place is full of Manchester United fans whose primary thought is about how poorly managed their team is. We've seen the same when Moyes, LVG and Mourinho were failing. It is as expected.

roonster09

Scout
Don't disagree that it lowers the quality of the discourse. But I'm telling you that it is largely unavoidable. Football fans are insanely passionate about their team. And no matter how many sub forums you create, this place is full of Manchester United fans whose primary thought is about how poorly managed their team is. We've seen the same when Moyes, LVG and Mourinho were failing. It is as expected.
Tbf it is avoidable. Just that people should be sensible enough to see which topic is under discussion under which thread. Everyone is mature enough to know that. Most of the times it's the same set of posters anyways.

As you said, it just lowers the quality of discussion.

amolbhatia50k

The problem with all the fans backing Ole is he's proved you all wrong time and time again. The issue I have with Ole is not even short term results it's the relativity of his long term capabilities. Even if he gets an entire new starting 11, we will still be unable to break teams down, unable to create clear chances, unable to integrate patterns of play, unable to to impose any philosophy. Why ? because we had a better team than Palace, Bournemouth, Rochdale, Southampton and West Ham yet put in dire performances and got shocking results (that's also excluding some of the embarrassment last season). So if Solskjaer has us struggling against average opposition with a BETTER team how can it be mentally comprehended that Ole will improve as a manager with a different set of players. How many times have we seen this romanticism nonsense in football, pre historically it happened with Dalglish and more recently as of last year with Real and Lopetegui. Solskjaer is done, the results will get worse it's almost a guarantee.
I don't see any imprint of a quality manager on how we play football week in week out. Given that he's been hear for nearly a year, that pretty much says it all. If you can't show at least the potential of being an excellent manager in a year then you're clearly not cut out for the job.

amolbhatia50k

Tbf it is avoidable. Just that people should be sensible enough to see which topic is under discussion under which thread. Everyone is mature enough to know that. Most of the times it's the same set of posters anyways.
They are? We have a lot of 18-24 year olds I reckon. And sense and football fans don't usually mix well. There's a cloud of gloom over the club, which leads to a cloud of gloom over places like this.

I'd obviously like to see posters exercise restraint. But understand the frustration all the same. Maybe mods can send warnings to push those posts into the right threads?

Anyway this IS the right thread to discuss Ole and how terrible he's been.

roonster09

Scout
They are? We have a lot of 18-24 year olds I reckon. And sense and football fans don't usually mix well. There's a cloud of gloom over the club, which leads to a cloud of gloom over places like this.

I'd obviously like to see posters exercise restraint. But understand the frustration all the same. Maybe mods can send warnings to push those posts into the right threads?
I think QC warnings are given to posters who do it all the time but they can't do it for everyone, otherwise we will be like RAWK.

Anyways we just have to hope that posters think before they post in different threads. At least it will be easier to ignore the discussion.

BlueHaze

I think QC warnings are given to posters who do it all the time but they can't do it for everyone, otherwise we will be like RAWK.

Anyways we just have to hope that posters think before they post in different threads. At least it will be easier to ignore the discussion.
Well a good start would be to remove all other threads about him. This is where he should be discussed but there are multiple threads about him. Basically copies of what's said in this one.

Alabaster Codify7

I'd love to know if fans think Roy Hodgson would eventually get us into the top 4, let alone challenging for the title?

Because Roy is a better manager than Ole. He was in the past, he still is.

romufc

Our bigggest problem is that we have no attacking patterns.

Teams attack in patterns, CIty, Liverpool even Chelsea.

We seem to get past the half way line and hope someonw produces magic. This will happen about 5/6 games a season the rest of the times you rely on attacking patterns.

We seem to have players all over the place, we have no positional awareness, they are all selfish and not playing for the team.

When we lose the ball, only James breaks his neck to get back and defend everyone else just jogs back.

AneRu

What’s happening now with the quality & depth of the squad is a direct consequence of poor planning and the scatter gun approach toward transfers over a period of 6 years. This is the reason I don’t understand the posters calling for the manger to be sacked when if one lesson we should have learned is that sacking the manager isn’t the answer right now.
Over the summer, for the first time since Fergie retired, there was some proper planning for the type of players we should be building the squad on and that is for a large part down to the manager. You may have an opinion on Ole’s tactical nous or whatever, but the club needs to prioritize long term solutions to get itself out of this mess and that is exactly what Ole is bringing when we need it most. The poster who claimed that if short term results are abysmal then the long term cannot be good is clearly confusing the sporting side of things with a business. In order to create succes on the pitch you need to build the right squad and that’s inevitably going to come at the cost of short term results. Any United fan who lived through the Fergie years of the 80’s and early 90’s should know exactly what I mean.
I would say 'isn't the only answer right now' because Ole's tactical ineptitude is also a problem at United. The argument for not having better players doesn't hold when you have dropped points against sides like Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Southampton etc and are struggling to score more than one goal in a match. That's not good enough and to blame players who have finished 2nd in the league before, who were doing better last year than this and whose performances got him the job whilst allowing him, who deliberately thinned the squad, to get away scot free is hypocritical.

romufc

I would say 'isn't the only answer right now' because Ole's tactical ineptitude is also a problem at United. The argument for not having better players doesn't hold when you have dropped points against sides like Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Southampton etc and are struggling to score more than one goal in a match. That's not good enough and to blame players who have finished 2nd in the league before, who were doing better last year than this and whose performances got him the job whilst allowing him, who deliberately thinned the squad, to get away scot free is hypocritical.
Agreed. Fans seemed to have bought this narrative from the club about lack of quality, so called transition period that the fans are singing the same tune now.

The first 11 or even 15 is not worse than Southampton, Bournemouth, Palace, Newcastle, West Ham.

Tbh it shows the weakness of a manager. Manchester United is a hug football club where the best managers should be in charge. This means a manager who can get the best out of players even get players performing better than their levels.

If you cannot get good players to perform what chance do you have to getting quality players to perform?

AneRu

Agreed. Fans seemed to have bought this narrative from the club about lack of quality, so called transition period that the fans are singing the same tune now.

The first 11 or even 15 is not worse than Southampton, Bournemouth, Palace, Newcastle, West Ham.

Tbh it shows the weakness of a manager. Manchester United is a hug football club where the best managers should be in charge. This means a manager who can get the best out of players even get players performing better than their levels.

If you cannot get good players to perform what chance do you have to getting quality players to perform?
Agreed, the squad whilst average in some respect is now being blamed for things that aren't their fault. Ole completely ignoring players like Gomes for his favorites who can't score or assist isn't on the squad, it was his choice. Just for interest sake, if Ole had been in charge of Ajax how many of their young stars would have made it? He talks about the youth but most of it is just talk and when the players that he prefers let him down his supporters blame the same players forgetting who is picking them in the first place.

romufc

Agreed, the squad whilst average in some respect is now being blamed for things that aren't their fault. Ole completely ignoring players like Gomes for his favorites who can't score or assist isn't on the squad, it was his choice. Just for interest sake, if Ole had been in charge of Ajax how many of their young stars would have made it? He talks about the youth but most of it is just talk and when the players that he prefers let him down his supporters blame the same players forgetting who is picking them in the first place.

This is exactly what I have been trying to say too. It is all well and good Ole trusting youth but it seems he only plays them when he has no other choice.

E.g Brandon Williams got a sniff because of injuries to Shaw, AWB.
Other than that what youngster that we didn't know about last season has had a chance?

McT was a Jose find.
Greenwood has had the odd appearance.

He keeps playing Lingard as if he will one day turn out to be a superstar, he isn't. The sooner he realises that the better for him.

Jambalaya

Just had a look on our table position (again).18 pts behind leader and 10 pts behind 4th place after 11 games. Its is sad how much is he out of his depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ancient Of Days

Last edited:

Raw

Apparently Ole has identified Burnley's 19 year old Dwight McNeil as a replacement for Pogba.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/06/ole-...chester-united-winger-dwight-mcneil-11049401/

Seems to tick all the right boxes for our new transfer policy;

British born, willing to get stuck in and show passion and will be one of the many young players who will tackle the evil cultcha permeating inside the club!
There's not one mention of Pogba in that article. You're the one assuming a winger would replace a midfielder.

Sterling Archer

Our bigggest problem is that we have no attacking patterns.

Teams attack in patterns, CIty, Liverpool even Chelsea.

We seem to get past the half way line and hope someonw produces magic. This will happen about 5/6 games a season the rest of the times you rely on attacking patterns.

We seem to have players all over the place, we have no positional awareness, they are all selfish and not playing for the team.

When we lose the ball, only James breaks his neck to get back and defend everyone else just jogs back.
He has talked about patterns in pressers and interviews. Not translating that to matches makes Ole what many are saying now, bad at his job.

romufc

He has talked about patterns in pressers and interviews. Not translating that to matches makes Ole what many are saying now, bad at his job.
This is the problem with Ole. He says all the right things in the media, pre match, post match but what the players deliver on the pitch seems completely opposite. Anyone can say the right things, but delivering it is another.

Top managers don't have to come out to justify what they do on the training pitch, what the players do on matchday highlights what they do in training.

How many times have we seen analysis of Liverpool, CIty, Spurs and it shows patterns that are worked on the training ground.

doriandun

Ahh, no they dont. Everybody expected Chelsea to struggle with them losing their best player and transfer ban. Arsenal have the worst squad between all top teams. Maybe spurs on par with us or a bit better, but that is a debatable. We know we dont have the best squad and have holes, but even that is on the clueless manager.

Why would people expect that, Chelsea have seasoned pro's in their team, there has been many occassions where Hazard was injured and the team got results, they have Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho, who the last two are now into their second season at the club, where they are short is at centre back and they could possibly do with a striker.

Secondly they have a good academy, and the bulk of the fruits of their labour, of their youngsters is Jody Morris.

Foxbatt

This is the problem with Ole. He says all the right things in the media, pre match, post match but what the players deliver on the pitch seems completely opposite. Anyone can say the right things, but delivering it is another.

Top managers don't have to come out to justify what they do on the training pitch, what the players do on matchday highlights what they do in training.

How many times have we seen analysis of Liverpool, CIty, Spurs and it shows patterns that are worked on the training ground.
Many seems or refuse to understand that this is exactly what is done on the training ground in a professional football club. Where they players move in what situation and how to create space and what else to do. The same with set pieces. I have never seen United take a decent corner under Ole.
We have so many good headers of the ball, including Maguire, McTominay, Pogba, Rojo. Even Lindelof is not bad at heading in the opposing box.
Yes never have I seen a near post corner being flicked on. Of course there are many different variations on the corner.

I really do not understand why anyone would keep an incompetent manager and when asked for a reason they say he is doing the right things. What right things?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Many seems or refuse to understand that this is exactly what is done on the training ground in a professional football club. Where they players move in what situation and how to create space and what else to do. The same with set pieces. I have never seen United take a decent corner under Ole.
We have so many good headers of the ball, including Maguire, McTominay, Pogba, Rojo. Even Lindelof is not bad at heading in the opposing box.
Yes never have I seen a near post corner being flicked on. Of course there are many different variations on the corner.

I really do not understand why anyone would keep an incompetent manager and when asked for a reason they say he is doing the right things. What right things?
We haven't hit a good corner/cross or freekick for years. It has been an obvious problem and you would think Ole would know that and should be doing something about it.

pascell

Apparently Ole has identified Burnley's 19 year old Dwight McNeil as a replacement for Pogba.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/06/ole-...chester-united-winger-dwight-mcneil-11049401/

Seems to tick all the right boxes for our new transfer policy;

British born, willing to get stuck in and show passion and will be one of the many young players who will tackle the evil cultcha permeating inside the club!
Ex United academy player also, 3 goals and 2 assists in 21 games last season is a horrendous return even for a 19 year old.

romufc

I think Ole only works on fitness and the so called high press of his.

How we can't sort any set piece delivery out is shocking.

The ones who say he is doing the right things are pretty much deluded and sit behind the 3 signings. Forgetting that he let the squad become so thin.

JoaquinJoaquin

They were playing Chelsea tbf, we've put 6 past them this season.
It's not just about the result, it's the whole philosophy. Having 9 men and still playing with a desire and passion to attack. It's pure football and the 'United way'.

Status
Not open for further replies.