Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EwanI Ted

Ask yourself this, which good manager would even be willing to come to this steaming pile of shit? And that's before we even look at the names that are currently in vogue. Each and every one of them have their own issues and carry with them concerns over whether they are a good fit for us.
The first point is just defeatist. United are still a big club with a budget that matches most clubs in the world, good physical infrastructure and a huge fan base playing in a great league. That's a very attractive proposition. Good managers dont doubt their own ability, plenty of them would relish the challenge of putting United back at the top.

As for other managers, true, no manager is perfect. That doesn't mean there's no difference between a good manager with a few flaws and what we're seeing from Ole, which is historically bad.

Jeffthered

What I actually think is happening, and I picked it up over the weekend, is now the attention is focusing on Ole , as a manager. His approach, his influence... and it doesn't look good. In fact , what is interesting, is that this is absolutely NOT about Ole the man... everybody loves the guy (and he is lucky, because not every manager has that privilege..).

But, to me, his lack of mangerial ability, is being highlighted, every single game. He sounds and looks nervous, and without influence. And the team play that way, because every team will reflect their manager.

I blame the board, because their decisions have created this mess.... but I blame Ole for the way we are playing. How are Crystal Palace, Wolves, and West Ham playing better football than us (maybe not by much.. but they are..). Mark Noble was easily the best player on the park when we played the Hammers... he's a decent player, I have much respect for him... but where are we? When we play, we seem completely lost. What is happening on the training ground?

And that has nothing to do with the Board, Glazers, Ed Woodward... that's OGS as manager.

It seems he is exposing his own lack of managerial ability. No shame in not being a top footie manager, but I can't see him just 'getting better' with time.

hobbers

Exactly the same as what happened with Moyes....

When they're found out to be tactically and strategically impotent, how can you expect the players to keep buying into their philosophy or keep believing in the project? Morale plummets, confidence evaporates, agents phones start ringing with players looking for ways out. How can we expect new transfer targets to react to the prospect of signing for this United side managed by Ole when Ole clearly doesn't have a fecking clue about management?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Agree with this passage here from Jonathan Wilson in The Guardian

United are sleepwalking to something perhaps inconceivably bad. This is ineptitude on an extraordinary scale. Given all the advantages that wealth gives the top clubs in the modern age, given the insulation they enjoy from serious consequences, given United are both the most successful side in league history and the richest club by revenue in the country, it is staggering that at this stage, more than a fifth of the way through the season, they should lie just two points above the relegation zone, appalling they could produce a performance so devoid of quality, of enthusiasm, of a plan.

rotherham_red

Have you forgotten his final season in charge where he systematically ate the club alive as he engineered his departure?

The man was a disgrace to the club. Quite how our fans talk of him in a positive light is beyond my understanding.
Stockholm Syndrome, methinks mate...

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is as clueless as you can get. Give him this liverpool team and you would still not see any improvement. He has absolutely no idea how to make them play as a unit or collectively.

Shark

@NotShark
But apparently that's some sort of plan, rebuild or whatever the fek.
Yes, because you simply can't have a rebuild plan and have your team in a respectable position on the table, at the same time. Three years of relegation form under ole, while the rebuild plan is in motion.

Ban

Yes, because you simply can't have a rebuild plan and have your team in a respectable position on the table, at the same time. Three years of relegation form under ole, while the rebuild plan is in motion.
I didn't say that. I mean I don't buy there's a plan of any sort. That what Ed wants us to think. Just as looking at dof right after Jose was sacked.

matt23

"What manager would be willing to come to this mess of a club?"

Plenty.

Yes, we're a shambles. Most clubs are (relatively) , when its time to hire a new manager, but we've just bought the world's most expensive defender and splashed £50m on a young right back. We're also somewhat of a blank canvas thanks to the recent purge of overpaid 'deadwood'.

I think some of you seriously overestimate how well ran most other clubs - bar Liverpool and City truly are. Even clubs with directors of football installed regularly fail to achieve their respective goals.

As things stands we are still an absolutely massive football club that has fallen on hard times after one of the world's greatest ever managers retired. We have some of the best match going supporters around and have spent more than most others on transfers and wages since the great man retired, being let down repeatedly only by a lack of foresight in our managerial appointments. I believe we're still hugely attractive to potential managers.

The reality is that there are probably hundreds of managers that would be more qualified for this rebuild job than Ole, and the sooner we act and give this young team the opportunity to be well coached the better.

SATA

Nothing on social media yet that he’s gone? Are the club going to drag this inevitable for another two weeks before we get shafted again?

Halal Jalal

Nothing on social media yet that he’s gone? Are the club going to drag this inevitable for another two weeks before we get shafted again?
The only reasonable explanation is that they want Ole to get torn apart by Liverpool so that the new manager doesn't have to deal with it as his first match. As clueless as Woodward is, I refuse to believe he still hopes Ole could turn this relegation form around.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I would keep him tbh. He isn't the problem, and sacking him won't make any difference. The Glazers are the problem.

The urgent need is for a manager to come in who understands how to construct an organised high press team. And that person should come in as DoF while the construction takes place. Ole or someone else can be head coach. This is a building season, if done right. Or further decline if done wrong.

But this won't happen because Glazers are making money and don't care. For now.

hobbers

He isn't the problem, and sacking him won't make any difference. The Glazers are the problem.
:rolleyes: Hard to believe people with this opinion are for real.

You don't think both the manager and the board are the problem? How could getting in a proper manager with a semblance of experience and nous at this level not make a difference?

The club has a fecking A-Z list of problems but the biggest one right now is having an inept manager who doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So he gets the credit for AWB, Maguire and James?
Yes for all the good and bad clearly he is involved in some way. I imagine he brings ole a shortlist and he agrees to them. He then tries his best to get them.

You can say ole decided well this window which is great, but we can’t rely on a manager just being good at transfers.

HackeyC

I really can't knock most of the off field decisions Ole has made. I think he has bought the right players and let others go who already wanted to leave. We are light up front which he could have addressed, but by the end of next summer I expected us to have a squad that could compete for the next 4/5 years. The issue seems to be tactical on field and lack of confidence a result of that on field performance. This points to something in the coaching as the players are not as bad as the points tally and results indicate. Unfortunately (on a personal level) I think a really bad result against Liverpool will see Ole gone. Who replaces him is an entirely different question, one which is difficult to answer.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
:rolleyes: Hard to believe people with this opinion are for real.
I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't have this opinion (except I know football supporters aren't great at seeing the forest for the trees). We're tried world class managers. They failed too. Did you not notice?

Now I agree that sacking Ole may bring a string of good results for a few months. Then we'll be right back where we started. If you want to start building success, it has to be done at the DoF level. And we need owners who actually want to win stuff.

AshRK

I hate saying this but he has to go just for his own sake. The guy loves this club and has some good ideas but he clearly doesn't know how to implement them. The guy is looking clueless with each game. The players look clueless with each game. Sad time but he has to walk.

the chameleon

That happened earlier: the moment Moyes was appointed.

The appointment announced to the world that we’d be happy with third or fourth. Nobody expected us to finish 7th though.
True that! This why Ole has to go now. Otherwise, it will affect our pulling power in the transfer market.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't have this opinion (except I know football supporters aren't great at seeing the forest for the trees). We're tried world class managers. They failed too. Did you not notice?

Now I agree that sacking Ole may bring a string of good results for a few months. Then we'll be right back where we started. If you want to start building success, it has to be done at the DoF level. And we need owners who actually want to win stuff.
That doesn’t make any sense either.

If the players were good enough to go 10-12 undefeated at the start then a good manager should be able to do it again. Ole has let this happen, not Woodward. He’s clearly misjudged just how good the squad is because he’s too close to the players.

luke511

Management and coaching isn't good enough, owners and the suits aren't good enough and majority of the players aren't good enough. Sounds like mission impossible to get all three back to standard.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes for all the good and bad clearly he is involved in some way. I imagine he brings ole a shortlist and he agrees to them. He then tries his best to get them.

You can say ole decided well this window which is great, but we can’t rely on a manager just being good at transfers.
I can't agree with that mate, or at least that is the board not Woodward. Woodward who vetoed the Maguire transfer last year bringing him as a shortlist this year makes little sense if you ask me.

Also Woodward is not a footballing guy, he cannot and should not nominate targets.

If Ole is responsible for all transfers then he should be accountable for not reinforcing the midfield and attack. If not then he should not take that much credit for our incomings.

Eplel

Although I'm on Ole's side and I like him, I have one question: How bad does Perreira have to play in order for him to be dropped for someone who has prospect, like Greenwood, Gomes, Chong etc?

Then, I have to question his stance to our form. If I don't see the manager fuming out of his ears after performances like that, I tend to think they're a bit deluded or way too defensive.

hobbers

So trying two top class managers who didn't work out must mean all well qualified managers are now out the picture?

We happened to bring in two top class managers who are both immensely arrogant and totally set in old methods of management. But they both had an identifiable approach to how they wanted their teams to play. They both won trophies for us. Unfortunately, as well as having outdated approaches, one was old and about to retire, and the other burned down all his relationships at the club. So does that mean we should just give up on the idea of having a top class manager who understands the modern game, has his own view on how the team should play, and can coach his players into implementing his vision? No. Obviously it does not.

If we want success we need a hierarchy (potentially including a DOF) that has a long term vision of where the club should be and we need a top class manager who is in sync with that vision, understands how he wants his team to play, is good at coaching and can inspire the players.

I don't mind the idea of bringing in a DOF, so long as they're actually qualified and proven in the role, but Liverpool don't have a DOF and Klopp manages just fine. The most important aspect is still having a manager who knows what he's doing.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Although I'm on Ole's side and I like him, I have one question: How bad does Perreira have to play in order for him to be dropped for someone who has prospect, like Greenwood, Gomes, Chong etc?

Then, I have to question his stance to our form. If I don't see the manager fuming out of his ears after performances like that, I tend to think they're a bit deluded or way too defensive.
Have you seen Chong play this season? If he is the answer, I don't want to know the question.

Lentwood

It’s literally a waste of time this

Every single season we fans promise that we will get behind the manager, that we understand that there are no quick fixes and that we need to be patient

Literally the minute we start getting the inevitable bad results the fans turn

Remember - this time last year this forum turned on Jose, just like it had turned on LvG beforehand.

“Oh but it’s different this time” I hear every time. “This manager really is incompetent”. Shortly thereafter they inevitably get booted out and we start again

Not saying Ole is the answer but Ole certainly isn’t the problem either. When will you people learn. You get what you deserve honestly most of you

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
End of the day the club will not be returning anywhere close to past glories under the Glazers and Woodward. Doesn't matter who the manager is. The culture is set by the board, and the board haven't a clue. We are f*cked. All I can do is support the team and manager, that's how I chose to go out.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Ole keeps saying that the injuries have affected our attack. Apart from Pogba and Martial who else is out that would have made a difference to our attack? Lingard? He has to be taking the piss.

Even if those 2 come back, you’ll still see us play a shit player on the right (Mata/Pereira) and a shit player in the crucial number 10 role (Lingard/Mata). Oh and not to mention Rashy on the left even though he’s been shit and James should start over him.

Marcus

I think he is back to being an interim manager actually. Just that we pay him a lot more to end the contract. Ole you tried your best and gave it an honest shot. What might have been a good idea conceptually is not planning out in reality. I really think you should resign. I love you as a player. It is no shame that you aren't as good at managing.

Last edited:

fergiesarmy1

End of the day the club will not be returning anywhere close to past glories under the Glazers and Woodward. Doesn't matter who the manager is. The culture is set by the board, and the board haven't a clue. We are f*cked. All I can do is support the team and manager, that's how I chose to go out.
Spot on

fergiesarmy1

Ole keeps saying that the injuries have affected our attack. Apart from Pogba and Martial who else is out that would have made a difference to our attack? Lingard? He has to be taking the piss.

Even if those 2 come back, you’ll still see us play a shit player on the right (Mata/Pereira) and a shit player in the crucial number 10 role (Lingard/Mata). Oh and not to mention Rashy on the left even though he’s been shit and James should start over him.
Pretty sure Rashford has been playing half fit.

Shark

@NotShark
It’s literally a waste of time this

Every single season we fans promise that we will get behind the manager, that we understand that there are no quick fixes and that we need to be patient

Literally the minute we start getting the inevitable bad results the fans turn

Remember - this time last year this forum turned on Jose, just like it had turned on LvG beforehand.

“Oh but it’s different this time” I hear every time. “This manager really is incompetent”. Shortly thereafter they inevitably get booted out and we start again

Not saying Ole is the answer but Ole certainly isn’t the problem either. When will you people learn. You get what you deserve honestly most of you
Oh give over. It’s not as if it’s just been a few poor results. Even if we were in 8th and playing semi decent football, the fans would be having patience. What we’re seeing right now is a different monster altogether and if you can’t see that you’re downright delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.