Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

Yep I don’t see why anything should change when he’s gone. Probably just less links to Declain Rice and Maddison who i couldn’t care about anyway. More expensive English hype. No thanks.
I think the point was that the Board think the “strategy” (expensive English hype, as you put it so well) can continue without Ole.

I think its time for Ole to go, but am afraid it’s almost inevitable that the strategy will remain in place. Not because it’s any good, but because Ed will really lose face if he ditches it.

Edit: which is why I can see him going for Southgate.

Lee565

If we stick it out with Ole for another season I cant see how this 3 year plan to get back to the top is ever going to work? It will and somewhat already has end up being a plan that will only get longer and longer.

The club and ole would have to change the quality of their transfer targets as the club is not going to get sancho if we finish the season around tenth and that's being optimistic, same with maddison if Leicester look like they are going places under Rodgers and achieve champions league football. Then you will also have any decent players we have left wanting to get out of the club, so all of this will throw a huge spanner in the works of this 3 year vision.

We aren't exactly shrewd within the transfer market either like Dortmund or Atletico in an attempt to getting back to the top by being unaffected by losing good players by having the ability to recruite gems that go under the radar of most big clubs.

MoskvaRed

Correct from Bate

If it feels churlish to point to Solskjaer's past experiences with Cardiff and Molde it shouldn't. Consider the fact that for all the discontent at Newcastle and Everton right now there might not be another Premier League fan base who would prefer to see the United boss in charge of their own team. What a perverse situation for the biggest club in the land.
I think you could go to clubs lower than Newcastle and fans still would not want Ole. He offers neither a record of meaningful success nor the unknown potential of a rookie like Lampard. How the hell did we end up in this situation?

r0663664

Worships Man City
Hey, I'm all for that, but who do we bring in? Allegri is available but I'm not a fan of his style. I'm just not keen on making a change if we can't bring in someone who can really shake things up.
Benitez is a good manager. With a shoestring budget, he manage Newcastle to be still in the premiership. He knows how to utilize players at his disposal and I believe he won the champion league with Liverpool. He will bring a pragmatic approach until the transfer window is open. Given a budget, he will improve the squad. I am quite sure he can.
+

dove

I would absolutely love it if Ole turns it around and then starts winning things.

Always blame the manager eh?

Despite 3 previous managers, Jose, LVG, Moyes still not getting a tune out of these players.

Yet it's the managers fault every single time hmmmmmm

Simply we.are.not.good.enough. Sooner everyone realises that the better. The players simply are not good enough. Get over it.

Didn't know Ole was playing too!
Who wouldn’t? However we all know it’s just not gonna happen. Some of us say it out loud, others prefer to keep it inside. It’s not managers fault, they do what they can even though all of the managers we had were (are) either past their best or out of their depth. It’s the board’s fault for hiring clearly wrong managers.

Amir

Benitez is a good manager. With a shoestring budget, he manage Newcastle to be still in the premiership. He knows how to utilize players at his disposal and I believe he won the champion league with Liverpool. He will bring a pragmatic approach until the transfer window is open. Given a budget, he will improve the squad. I am quite sure he can.
+
We're really aiming low, aren't we?

HowYouDoin

Well, look at the team we currently have. Unless we go ballistic in january and make 4 or 5 signings, we dont have a great team at our disposal. We will have to do with what we have. Rafa isn't the craziest suggestion. I can see why it would make sense.

There is still a lot to play for. Europa league needs to be the absolute priority cuz we can still qualify for the champions league. If not, we need to make top 6 at the very least, I do believe that's achievable if nothing else. There is still way to salvage this mess. Rafa isnt a horrible idea as a caretaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amir

Well, look at the team we currently have. Unless we go ballistic in january and make 4 or 5 signings, we dont have a great team at our disposal. We will have to do with what we have. Rafa isn't the craziest suggestion. I can see why it would make sense.

There is still a lot to play for. Europa league needs to be the absolute priority cuz we can still qualify for the champions league. If not, we need to make top 6 at the very least, I do believe that's achievable if nothing else. There is still way to salvage this mess. Rafa isnt a horrible idea as a caretaker.
I'm assuming Benitez is seen as a short-term solution to get a decent result out of this season, but I just don't see that as important. For me it's about putting something down for the future rather than top 6 (why is that so important?) or a CL spot.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Rafael is not low. He is very experienced, did really well with Valencia. He is really good tactician and uses what he has properly. Unlike Ole who is weak tactician and deploy players in their unnatural position. Rafa will play the players to their strength and give properly coaching. There is zero evidence of coaching currently.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rafael is not low. He is very experienced, did really well with Valencia. He is really good tactician and uses what he has properly. Unlike Ole who is weak tactician and deploy players in their unnatural position. Rafa will play the players to their strength and give properly coaching. There is zero evidence of coaching currently.
Appointing Benitez is aiming low. He is better than Ole, that doesn't mean he is good enough. If we appoint him then we can completely give up on the board and conclude they will never learn from their mistakes.

We should be hiring managers at their peak or upcoming managers with new approach to the game, not the past it managers.

BlueHaze

How can you even sink that low to even remotely consider him? A guy who loves Liverpool and lifted the CL with them. You would really be that desperate to even think about him managing us?

BlueHaze

All of you who with this Benitez shite sicken me. My father been supporting since the Busby days and he'd be sick of you lot.

el3mel

Why are we thinking about Benitez when we have currently a better and more modern version of him (Allegri)?

Shark

@NotShark
I'd rather the club was relegated than appoint Rafa. All for sacking Ole, but not that fecking desperate.

hobbers

Wenger would be a bit of a laugh, but Rafa? No thanks.

Pretty much any interim manager but Rafa. Although I'd still take him over Ole obviously.

Jinn

What should Ole do now to arrest the problem? He's an honest guy (this is what we are led to believe), so if he's being honest with himself, he will realise that there needs to be some dramatic changes.
He's not very good tactically, can he get someone in to assist on that side of the game? There is no shame in admitting your failures and trying to rectify the problem with some assistance. Is it too late for this type of appointment?

tomaldinho1

I mentioned Benitez months ago and received quite a lot of negative responses. Maybe because of his Liverpool background.
He's clearly a better manager but he's not what we should be aiming for because his style of play is so structured and defensive. Issue for us now is if we panic and go for another Mourinho style signing (eg proven manager regardless of football style) it just resets the cycle we're in.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Are people actually considering Rafa :lol:

MisterLupus

If we're not closer to the top than we are the bottom by Christmas I'll agree we need to sack - but even then I won't put the main blame on Ole. We've seen improvements under him - possession, work rate, defense and pressure have all improved and our transfers too are delivering for the first time in ages - but our squad is too weak in the final third to take advantage of the opportunities created during our buildup and even when they do find their chances our attackers can't even be trusted convert a fecking penalty they're so useless. This has nothing to do with our coaching staff - it's down to the players themselves. They're lacking both the intelligence and mental fortitude to both create and score chances - and people giving our coaching way too much credit in that regard as these are professionals who've lived and breathed football most their lives not just a bunch of mindless buttmuppets remote-controlled from the bench and incapable of making sound decisions on their own.

The whole "there's not coaching" and "there's no plan" arguments are null and void - as is placing all the blame for this on our manager and coaches dismissing them as clueless. Trust me they know football better than any amateur in here.

It's not knee-jerking however to start getting concerned at this point - a month back I would have agreed but truth be told there are some weird decisions that Ole and the higher ups needs to accept responsibility for. Not reinforcing our midfield and attack because perfection could not be achieved was a stupid move that we're now paying the price for - even if perfection cannot be achieved pretty much anything would be an improvement to our current defects in those areas - equally so is his continued loyalty towards certain players who simply aren't producing and who've not produced in ages now (Fred and Mata being the foremost of these).

Ole is a talented manager who've done a lot of things right since he joined us and I believe even someone world-class would find this squad tough to work with - our main problems are not related to Solskjaer but due to circumstances anyone would find hard to maneuver - but that being said he's also showing some signs that he might be too big an idealist and too gullible for his own (and the team's) best interest. My trust in him is not unconditional - I've set up some criteria for my continued support of this project:

1) We should be well clear of relegation danger by Christmas. If we're not I still won't hold him as the main culprit but I'll advocate his departure nonetheless as an emergency measure because no fecking way no matter what is a relegation struggle something this club should accept - it must be avoided at all costs even if it means scrapping everything we've done so far by hitting the reset button.

2) Come January we need those reinforcements we should have brought in during the summer. If they don't do this - if they still stall in pursuit of perfection - I'll feel twice as let down as I did back then and once more lose faith in our current management.

3) I'm not too concerned with our final position during the last half of this season but at the very least I expect our form to match that of our top-four rivals during this period. Even if we only manage EL play for next season I at least need to see that we're up to standards and ready to push on even further.

4) By next Christmas I expect us to be a solidified top-four team again. No excuses - by then they've had the mandatory three transfer windows any manager needs to be able to put their mark on a team and if we're still struggling by then it's clear we need to look elsewhere for solutions.

That is my roadmap - personally - and I feel it's a reasonable one. If our board panics and starts firing people despite the above being achieved I'll consider that no less than a betrayal. It'll be the final straw for me - and if that band of incompetent bigwig morons throws Ole under the bus to save themselves - sacrificing a genuinely dedicated and competent employee who've done his very best cleaning up this mess they've created - a guy who've aged fifteen years in ten months attempting to bring some structure back to this current sideshow of a club - then I predict a lot of supporters will find themselves equally disenchanted as well.

I'm also having a hard time figuring out who'll they'll replace him with - what kind of managers would be attracted to a club where all good things (players and managers alike) goes to die. It's a very risky career move to say the least signing for us these days - with the exception of someone like Ole who've bled red ever since he played here I can only see us drawing either moneygrabbers or those who are desperate for work and I doubt highly we'll be better off with either.

Foxbatt

All of you who with this Benitez shite sicken me. My father been supporting since the Busby days and he'd be sick of you lot.
Didn't your father know that Sir Matt played both for City and Liverpool?
Rafa is a professional manager. It was his job as the manager of Liverpool to do his best for them.
That said I don't think he should be hired. Not because he was at Liverpool but because he is not the right choice.
All of you guys who talk about Rafa and shite would jump at the chance to get either Klopp or Pep.

naruto

its so bad at united that were all secretly even thinking Rafa a better option. You know its bad when you considering even rafa as stop gap measure to how bad we are playing. I fear they won't sack ola even if we are 15th by end of October, with backing of pundits like Gary Nevelle who seem to think he can do no wrong and blame players mainly for the display on the field and not the coaching or system they playing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Benitez not only managed Liverpool but was an insufferable twat towards us.
It's an absolute non starter.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Just when you thought the bar couldn't get any lower in this thread, they went and suggested Rafa as Ole's replacement.

United fans indeed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’d rather get relegated with ole then have the fat waiter in charge

Robbie Boy

Benitez and Southgate :lol:

I want Ole gone as much as the next non top-red, but why have I read both these jokers names in recent days! I would rather keep Ole ffs.

Amir

@MisterLupus I find Solskjaer a lot more cuplable than you do. I'm sure our coaching staff knows football better than me, which is why I'm not suggesting myself as a candidate to replace them, but I think I'm capable enough to recognize when something - like their work - is not good enough.

Having said that, I have no issues with your roadmap. I'm no fan of Solskjaer as a manager and I would replace him in a heartbeat if we had a top class alternative lined up, but we don't. So right now, I'm OK with sticking with him unless things go from bad to worse within the next 2-3 months.

Revaulx

Benitez and Southgate :lol:

I want Ole gone as much as the next non top-red, but why have I read both these jokers names in recent days! I would rather keep Ole ffs.
Well you've read Southgate's because I believe Ed will have him at least under consideration.

Ed is going to need to get rid of Ole without looking a complete idiot. The only way I can see him doing this is by claiming that the "strategy" bit (Young Hard Working British Players Who Want To Play For Manchester United) was his idea and is working splendidly, on the basis that this summer's three signings haven't turned to shite yet. The problem is only with the detailed execution, i.e. Ole's bit. So "upgrade" Ole with somebody who is able to run with Ed's strategy. Who is the most high profile manager of British (ok: English) players? Southgate.

For the avoidance of doubt, I think the strategy is an idiotic one. In any case, the Glazers will think so soon enough when they realise the cost involved in desperately going for hyped-up players from wealthy mid-table Premier League Clubs.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
This whole saga of Ole's appointment and the current situation merely highlights how little Woodward knows about football.
Supporters will all have their opinions.
But you need good football people advising you. I mean not just one person.

Who will be the Temp manager and what would be the expectation of the new manager before he accepts an offer.

If Woodward is still going to be the only one who makes decisions on all transfers, we truly are screwed.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I lot is said about OGS signings. They’ve all made great starts but it’s assumed by people that under his management and coaching that this will continue and the 3 players will continue to develop and improve. Do people really think that’s the case? There’s also the possibility that under Ole they start to stagnate or even regress

Status
Not open for further replies.