Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He inferred it, and he said this is progress as last year we'd have lost 3 or 4 nil. He's the one whose lost his mind.
He's lost his mind for staying positive after a great away comeback as opposed to what? What do you honestly expect the man to say?

ash_86

This. How the feck would Martial have stopped that goal exactly? If you are defending a lead in injury time you fall back, literally everyone does it.

If he did not make a sub people would lose their shit over him not making a sub. When he made the sub we had Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood and Lindgaard on, thats 5/10 outfiled players without a single defensive fiber in them.

Its also pretty telling that people dont focus on the subs that made 0-2 into 3-2, but putting on a defender in injury time and its suddenly the most worst thing that has ever happened.
Then they have to give credit to Ole. Why would they do that.

SirAF

Ageist
That first bit is particularly bewildering to me. On that basis Fergie should have been sacked after his first season? Why recruit a young manager if you don't intent to give him time to develop? Where is the benefit in continually chopping and changing your coaching staff? How long can you get away with that before you've exhausted every realistic managerial option there is? Why are people so adament Ole isn't capable of growing into the role?

As to your second point, again where is the logic? This manager you refer to was sacked by his former club so they could replace him with the man we didn't want anymore.
Ferguson was already an established manager who had broken The Old Firm and won a European trophy. Manchester United is also, naturally, a completely different beast today.

Castia

The fact that people are having a go at him after going from 0-2 to 3-2 because he put on a defensive player in injury time...fecking hell. Really?
Why was we 2-0 down in the first place?

He got absolutely everything wrong from the tactics to personnel. One of the first times in his entire run that he makes a good substitute decision then it quickly backfired when he made the wrong call with Tuanzabe.

3-3 at Sheffield United after getting battered and it’s touted as a decent result. We have less points than Jose did at this stage of the season and are 10th in the league, it’s a right mess.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He inferred it, and he said this is progress as last year we'd have lost 3 or 4 nil. He's the one whose lost his mind.
Maybe hes right. Maybe it is progress. The team were poor today but didn't give up and dragged a result out of it. They might learn from this. Isn't that progress?

SER19

He's in the firing line for many no matter what, especially now with pochettino available.

Removing emotion, we're actually on a decent run, scoring goals and dug a point out of a shit performance today. On to villa now (Astana aside) and keep up the scoring taking momentum into spurs and City.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why isn't there any talk about the changes that were made to help us get 3-2 in front? Literally nothing on that at all. Only the negative.

It would have been stupid to leave on the same XI. 8 times out of 10 that change helps balance the team and kill the game off. Unfortunately this was one of the others
8 out of 10 times with our defence? That's generous. The change was fine, it just came at the totally wrong time and needlessly changed the flow of the game.

The Greenwood sub was great, if anything he should have done it about 10 /20 minutes earlier.

mu4c_20le

Why would we give him time to learn from his mistakes? Are we running a charity here, or are we meant to be a club with high standards, with aspirations to compete at the top in the near future?

A high quality, proven coach is available right now, yet we're going to plod along with an inexperienced manager in charge? It makes absolutely zero sense to me.
By your logic, Chelsea should sack Lampard and hire him immediately.

Snafu17

And yet we invited their pressure and conceded anyway.
Again, we would've invited the pressure anyway, it always happens, we wouldn't magically keep the ball until the end of the game with a midfield duo of Lingard and Fred. We were less likely to concede with someone who has some semblance of defensive positioning in the team, than the other way around. I

El Zoido

Pathetic management from him. Why in the fecking world would he bring on a centre back and go back to the shambles of a system that we were horrific at in the first half?
Doesn't work like that though. Once we’re in front we’re in front. They only played like that because they were chasing the game. His decision to shore up the defence was 100% correct in that situation, shame the players didn’t have the bottle to pull it off.

mu4c_20le

3-3 at Sheffield United after getting battered and it’s touted as a decent result. We have less points than Jose did at this stage of the season and are 10th in the league, it’s a right mess.
It's more than a decent result. Sheffield United have one of the best defensive records at home and are a bitch to score against, I'm more worried about our leaky defense. We can't always score 3 goals every game.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
8 out of 10 times with our defence? That's generous. The change was fine, it just came at the totally wrong time and needlessly changed the flow of the game.

The Greenwood sub was great, if anything he should have done it about 10 /20 minutes earlier.
Wow look at that. You almost said something positive there. Almost. #Progress

bleedred

By your logic, Chelsea should sack Lampard and hire him immediately.
Ha, that's exactly what they would have done if they had a run any way similar to us. Remember Di matteo, they were 4th when they sacked him. Hell, they sacked sarri for finishing fourth and winning the EL, because he doesn't fit their plans. No sentimentality and ruthless. That's how every big club is except for us.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
  • Plays Andreas with full knowledge of him being a liability in a 2 man midfield
    • Further brain farts by having no #10 in front of him. Andreas can barely trap a ball and hold it nvm pass it forward.
    • Alienated the front 3 with an odd selection of a 532 against a team that scores very little
  • Plays Jones.
  • Makes the right tactical changes way too late in the 70th minute.
  • Goes on to reverse all the right changes after scoring the 3rd goal by bringing on Axel for Martial.
    • Ffs they were hunting a 4th/5th goal. You could see it on Martials face....
    • They just couldn’t handle our ball possession in their half when we had him on. It was a better overall defensive strategy to punish them while they go for an equalizer.
Overall an absolute disaster for Ole at the office today. He fecked up, tried to fix it and continued to feck up. It’s something you see with managers from lower leagues really. No place for it at the top level. Poor foresight and intelligence.

(PS mods: the bulletpoint/indent feature typing on the phone is an absolute nightmare. Lots of bugs. It would delete my writing everytime I hit enter. Might want to check it out)

jackal&hyde

Bad first half with 3 at the back and so light in mid. Good second half and for the second time we miss on a win in the 90th min.

Needs a second summer before i can judge. The squad is too poor now and i don't see any manager doing any better with Jones, Pereira, Lingard, Fred...

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Different times. United was not the juggernaut they are today - AND - Ferguson had proved himself already. He was not an unknown quantity.
Yup, I don't get why people fail to understand this. The United Fergie took over and the United is whole different club, much of it down to SAF's work.

Halftrack

I don't understand. Managers can come to the end of a cycle at a club, it doesn't mean they are bad managers.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have taken Klopp after Dortmund then?
I'm pointing out a clear double-standard. If it's Ole, then "the buck stops with the manager", if it's Poch, then it's "the end of a cycle." Both can't be true, because the first says that a manager has to take responsibility for everything that goes wrong, while the second says that sometimes things outside of the managers control happen that makes it impossible for them to succeed.

I'm not saying that the latter is the case with Ole, nor that the former was the case for Poch, all I'm saying is that you can't, with any sort of credibility, say "the buck stops with the manager" only to then go on to make excuses for Poch. It either does, or it doesn't.

mu4c_20le

Ha, that's exactly what they would have done if they had a run any way similar to us. Remember Di matteo, they were 4th when they sacked him. Hell, they sacked sarri for finishing fourth and winning the EL, because he doesn't fit their plans. No sentimentality and ruthless. That's how every big club is except for us.
If it was some foreigner than perhaps, but I think they would give Lampard at least a full season

• Plays Andreas with full knowledge of him being a liability in a 2 man midfield
    • Further brain farts by having no #10 in front of him. Andreas can barely trap a ball and hold it nvm pass it forward.
    • Alienated the front 3 with an odd selection of a 532 against a team that scores very little
  • Plays Jones.
  • Makes the right tactical changes way too late in the 70th minute.
  • Goes on to reverse all the right changes after scoring the 3rd goal by bringing on Axel for Martial.
    • Ffs they were hunting a 4th/5th goal. You could see it on Martials face....
Overall an absolute disaster for Ole at the office today. He fecked up, tried to fix it and continued to feck up. It’s something you see with managers from lower leagues really. No place for it at the top level. Poor foresight and intelligence.

(PS mods: the bulletpoint/indent feature typing on the phone is an absolute nightmare. Lots of bugs. It would delete my writing everytime I hit enter. Might want to check it out)
How would you have set us up today given the injuries and the nature of the available players in midfield?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Wow look at that. You almost said something positive there. Almost. #Progress
It is positive. But it should have come earlier... Andreas was absolutely dreadful.

It's crazy to not thing there's justified criticism of Ole today. His whole approach was completely wrong.

:houllier: Do you want me to answer a question everyone know the answer to? I was explaining why the point you were trying to make is invalid. It's like you don't even process what I have written to you.
I don't know the answer to the question, perhaps you could tell me if it wouldn't be too taxing.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Doesn't work like that though. Once we’re in front we’re in front. They only played like that because they were chasing the game. His decision to shore up the defence was 100% correct in that situation, shame the players didn’t have the bottle to pull it off.
This would be like managing without context though. Like "if your winning - put on defender ... If your losing put on attacker"

The context of the game though and how it was going meant that the sub at that time wasn't 100% correct.

RUCK4444

I'm pointing out a clear double-standard. If it's Ole, then "the buck stops with the manager", if it's Poch, then it's "the end of a cycle." Both can't be true, because the first says that a manager has to take responsibility for everything that goes wrong, while the second says that sometimes things outside of the managers control happen that makes it impossible for them to succeed.

I'm not saying that the latter is the case with Ole, nor that the former was the case for Poch, all I'm saying is that you can't, with any sort of credibility, say "the buck stops with the manager" only to then go on to make excuses for Poch. It either does, or it doesn't.
Balanced argument and reasoning doesn’t fit the Ole-Out narrative :rolleyes:

Rista

That first bit is particularly bewildering to me. On that basis Fergie should have been sacked after his first season? Why recruit a young manager if you don't intent to give him time to develop? Where is the benefit in continually chopping and changing your coaching staff? How long can you get away with that before you've exhausted every realistic managerial option there is? Why are people so adamant Ole isn't capable of growing into the role?

As to your second point, again where is the logic? This manager you refer to was sacked by his former club so they could replace him with the man we didn't want anymore.
It's hard to tell these days if a post is real or not. So we, one of the biggest clubs in the world should give a severely underperforming manager "time to develop" and "grow into the role". In what world is that a good idea? What other top club would do the same? Ole has been in management for 10 years! This isn't his first job. The Fergie comparison is just bizarre considering what he had achieved prior to his appointment.

Every other club chops and changes staff, why would we be any different?

thejtrain

I do think too much focus is being made on the final sub.

Ole deserves much more criticism and it's more relevant for the first 71 minutes.

Dreadful
This. A mad spell of goals does not change the fact that we absolutely dreadful for the rest of the game.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Why would we give him time to learn from his mistakes? Are we running a charity here, or are we meant to be a club with high standards, with aspirations to compete at the top in the near future?

A high quality, proven coach is available right now, yet we're going to plod along with an inexperienced manager in charge? It makes absolutely zero sense to me.
Exactly. He's been here a fecking year. We've Allegri and Poch available and we're fecking pulling teeth. Dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's actually sickening at this point.

Nick7

After 70 odd minutes we finally got control of the ball and were hurting them. The sub took that control away from us.

el3mel

But momentum always changes in this types of games. There's no reason to think se would just keep the possession with a midfield that was barely functioning as it is.
There's a difference between the momentum changing due to second team stepping up and us actually surrendering the momentum to the other team with our hands. We threw it to them, on our own will.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Maybe hes right. Maybe it is progress. The team were poor today but didn't give up and dragged a result out of it. They might learn from this. Isn't that progress?
No. It fecking isn't. He spent 130m and we shipped 3 easy goals. We looked miles off the pace for 80 mins and there's feck all progress.

Hide_&_Seek

Supports
red devil
With bissaka attacking ability, back 3 should never be an option, and last sub is clearly show how cowardly ole is
Poch in please

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Poch had 3 excellent seasons at Spurs and reached a CL final in his last one. It was an end of a cycle. Ole's been dreadful since being appointed on permanent basis. And the buck did stop with Poch as he got sacked and rightfully so. Best managers in the world get sacked. Sir Alex been sacked. Lippi, Cappello, Mourinho, Del Bosque, Ancelloti were all sacked at different times of their career and went on to have success elsewhere.

It's hard to tell these days if a post is real or not. So we, one of the biggest clubs in the world should give a severely underperforming manager "time to develop" and "grow into the role". In what world is that a good idea? What other top club would do the same? Ole has been in management for 10 years! This isn't his first job. The Fergie comparison is just bizarre considering what he had achieved prior to his appointment.

Every other club chops and changes staff, why would we be any different?
How is he 'severely underperforming'? Prior to today we had one of the best 3 defensive records in the league, commensurate with the fact he was permitted to bring in two defenders. We're 1 point off Europa League qualification which is what we're realistically gunning for this season considering the lack of depth in the squad and quality in the midfield. It seems to me you're advocating getting rid of him after just one window in charge to repair a squad that badly needs fixing and has clearly benefitted from his time here already.

Status
Not open for further replies.